Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2014, 21:07   #7156
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

hi guys. i have booked the Vento Highline diesel. I asked the SA if the new model will be launched shortly. He said it will not launch before 2015. Plus got a good deal on the highline. 3 years free insurance. 1 year extended warranty.plus the regular mud flaps and matting. anyone managed to get a better deal in recent times?
Old 2nd September 2014, 01:43   #7157
vdi
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda_dude View Post
hi guys. i have booked the Vento Highline diesel. I asked the SA if the new model will be launched shortly. He said it will not launch before 2015. Plus got a good deal on the highline. 3 years free insurance. 1 year extended warranty.plus the regular mud flaps and matting. anyone managed to get a better deal in recent times?

Congratulations!!!

Could you give the breakup please.

Rajesh.
Old 2nd September 2014, 10:11   #7158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda_dude View Post
Although the new model is expected only next year, I think it is pretty certain that there will be a refresh around the festive season including the changes part of the Polo refresh and also the diesel DSG.
Old 2nd September 2014, 14:09   #7159
BHPian

This is a quick review of the long-weekend drive (this Friday-Sunday) I had on my 8 month, 10000 KM old Vento TDI-HL.

The drive was Chennai - Thirunelveli - Srivilliputtur - Chennai, covering a total distance of nearly 1300 KMS.

Roads:
Excellent roads all thru' the way. Except the Madurai by-pass portion.
Thirunelveli - Srivilliputtur, though is 2 lane, the drive was pleasant.

Car:
Vento performed excellently well. Average Mileage was 20 KMPL. The total time for our drive was 9 hours, excluding breaks, one way. The car very much needs improvement in its air-con department. Though we had kept the cabin temperature at 21C and had window shades for rear windows (the vacuum cup stuff), the cooling was not effective.
Number of occupants were only 2 - me and my cousin brother and most of our drive was during day time.

Conclusion:
I'm happy about its overall performance. Nevertheless, two important issues to be addressed by VW for its future Vento:

1. Headlights (I had written in my earlier posts)
2. Air-Con
Old 3rd September 2014, 10:03   #7160
BHPian

While I was happy about the vehicle performance during my latest weekend trip someone casted an evil eye on my car.

And here is the picture. This happened within the 30 minute gap, when I parked my car on the road curb, before pulling it inside the parking lot.

Can any of you let me know what is cost of replacing the insignia?
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-vw_gone.jpg  

Old 4th September 2014, 23:23   #7161
BHPian

Does anyone here have any contacts at EVM Trivandrum?

Our Vento has been down for the past one month with a failed AC Compressor. We have been waiting on the part for the past one month (since 29/07/2014 to be exact).

Thankfully the car is on extended warranty so we will not have to suffer the part cost, which I am told is pretty expensive.

We visited EVM last week and forced the issue, at which time we were informed that the part was on "back order" (is an AC compressor such a common failure point or such a rare part?), and informed that it would arrive on Friday 29th.

The part "arrived" on Saturday the 30th and the car was taken to EVM that afternoon, and has been with them since, with the excuse that the dryer needed to be replaced as well.

The BJP hartal on Tuesday the 2nd apparently delayed the work by one day, and I was told that the work on the AC was finished today.

Now comes the problem. The SA calls me this evening and informs me that the car is in final prep today (washing and interior cleaning) at his insistence, since tomorrow is their Onam celebration, and no work will get done that day.

He also tells me that the car can only be released to me next week (after the long Onam weekend) since an approval letter has to come from VW as the work was done on extended warranty.

But according to him, there is a way I can get the car tommorrow -- pay for the parts and labour and take away the car, and EVM will reimburse me when the approval letter comes. I have never heard of this happening anywhere else - it certainly never happened to me at either Indus or Sarathy while I had my Swift.

This is beginning to sound like some sort of extortion, and I would like to take up the issue at a higher level.

Now since it is a holiday weekend and I have been borrowing my father-in-law's WagonR in the interim, I was really looking forward to getting the Vento back so that I could give the WagonR a good wash and clean and return it. We were also thinking of taking a drive to some nearby places over the weekend.

Any info would be most welcome.
Old 5th September 2014, 00:32   #7162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
But according to him, there is a way I can get the car tommorrow -- pay for the parts and labour and take away the car, and EVM will reimburse me when the approval letter comes. I have never heard of this happening anywhere else - it certainly never happened to me at either Indus or Sarathy while I had my Swift.
Some very funny idea on SA part. Take the car only when everything has been done under warranty. Since you have waited for one month, few days wont make much of difference.

Just jot down your experience and SA's idea on Volkswagen Facebook. That should be enough to get them right.

Link.
Old 5th September 2014, 10:38   #7163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
Does anyone here have any contacts at EVM Trivandrum?

Our Vento has been down for the past one month with a failed AC Compressor. We have been waiting on the part for the past one month (since 29/07/2014 to be exact).

Thankfully the car is on extended warranty so we will not have to suffer the part cost, which I am told is pretty expensive.

We visited EVM last week and forced the issue, at which time we were informed that the part was on "back order" (is an AC compressor such a common failure point or such a rare part?), and informed that it would arrive on Friday 29th.

The part "arrived" on Saturday the 30th and the car was taken to EVM that afternoon, and has been with them since, with the excuse that the dryer needed to be replaced as well.

The BJP hartal on Tuesday the 2nd apparently delayed the work by one day, and I was told that the work on the AC was finished today.

Now comes the problem. The SA calls me this evening and informs me that the car is in final prep today (washing and interior cleaning) at his insistence, since tomorrow is their Onam celebration, and no work will get done that day.

He also tells me that the car can only be released to me next week (after the long Onam weekend) since an approval letter has to come from VW as the work was done on extended warranty.

This is beginning to sound like some sort of extortion, and I would like to take up the issue at a higher level.

Now since it is a holiday weekend and I have been borrowing my father-in-law's WagonR in the interim, I was really looking forward to getting the Vento back so that I could give the WagonR a good wash and clean and return it. We were also thinking of taking a drive to some nearby places over the weekend.

Any info would be most welcome.

I thought approval for warranties are first obtained from VW and then they begin repair work on the car ?

That is how it should be for any work under warranty.

No Service centre will do under warranty job without prior approval from manufacturer for the reason that A.S.S will be in a fix if the manufacturer refuses approval for claim.

This guy is being an ass. That he is one, there is nothing one can do of such breed.
Old 5th September 2014, 10:49   #7164

Dear fellow VW Vento owners. I'm about 3 months away from completing 2 years of ownership a Vento highline AT. It has done around 19k on the ODO. The first service at VW apple auto wasn't very pleasant. Over the years of owning multiple cars, I've learnt one v imp lesson; Avoid visiting the workshop unless absolutely necessary. With that in mind and the fact that I've an audience that's very knowledgeable, observant and experienced I would like to share the problems I've experienced. Hopefully fellow bhpians can help share similar experiences, solutions or workarounds.

1. Slight Whirring noise from engine compartment at cold start. Goes away as the engine warms up.

2. Whenever HVAC is turned on in auto with recirculation on, and I'm passing through a stinking area (quite common around the polluted lakes of Bangalore), I can catch a distinct whiff of the outside stink. However, I never get fume smell from outside even in bumper-2-bumper situation.

3. When HVAC is turned on there is a slight vibration which I can feel in the cockpit , on the steering wheel, the AT stick. It goes away the moment I turn off the HVAC.

4. If the HVAC is turned down , i.e. blowers off but display is on.( Usually one more, v slow turn on the blower control turns the display off as well). If the display is left on for longer, HVAC stops responding to the auto button press. Turning the unit off and back on or turning up the blower only works thereafter.

5. The auto rollup power windows sometimes don't auto roll up and only the step works. After trying to push the window lock, a few roll step up/down, ignition off/on does it work again. During this time the remote key roll up function also doesn't work.

6. The speedometer dial backlight starts to flicker some times. It still hasn't blown off yet. The flicker goes away from time to time, only to come back.

Incidentally these problems were noticed by me after my first service. I'm pretty sure I would've noticed these during the first year , if they were present.
Old 5th September 2014, 16:28   #7165
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a 2011 Vento Highline AT so will try and answer your queries:
Quote:
Originally Posted by re-dfine View Post
1. Slight Whirring noise from engine compartment at cold start. Goes away as the engine warms up.
Wondering what this could be. The AC compressor perhaps? Check if you hear the same sound after you switch off the car (with AC on).
Quote:
2. Whenever HVAC is turned on in auto with recirculation on, and I'm passing through a stinking area (quite common around the polluted lakes of Bangalore), I can catch a distinct whiff of the outside stink. However, I never get fume smell from outside even in bumper-2-bumper situation.
VW HVAC in Auto mode default stays in fresh air mode 90% of the time. Even when you are recirculating, it is never completely sealed off and if the odours outside are exceptionally strong you will smell some of it inside as well. The dust and odour filter has its limitations.
Quote:
3. When HVAC is turned on there is a slight vibration which I can feel in the cockpit , on the steering wheel, the AT stick. It goes away the moment I turn off the HVAC.
Are you being oversensitive? The AC hum is definitely perceptible but not as loud as in some other cars I have driven.
Quote:
4. If the HVAC is turned down , i.e. blowers off but display is on.( Usually one more, v slow turn on the blower control turns the display off as well). If the display is left on for longer, HVAC stops responding to the auto button press. Turning the unit off and back on or turning up the blower only works thereafter.
Auto button should work fine even in this position. Please get it checked. Incidentally how do you "turn the unit off"? There is no On/Off switch.
Quote:
5. The auto rollup power windows sometimes don't auto roll up and only the step works. After trying to push the window lock, a few roll step up/down, ignition off/on does it work again. During this time the remote key roll up function also doesn't work.
Please get it checked.
Quote:
6. The speedometer dial backlight starts to flicker some times. It still hasn't blown off yet. The flicker goes away from time to time, only to come back.
Please get it checked.
Quote:
Incidentally these problems were noticed by me after my first service. I'm pretty sure I would've noticed these during the first year , if they were present.
Complain to VW. They do a survey through their CRM team about a week after the servicing. Also call up the ASS that did the service and ensure that they address all these issues at the earliest.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 22:29   #7166
BHPian

Fellow BHPians,

In my 8 month old workhorse find that the right side HL assembly tends to build up condensation - whenever its raining outside, its a moist weather, or HL has been for about an hour. Query to the experts :

1. Is this normal? I never faced this problem in any of my 4 earlier rides.
2. Should I get this checked - as this happens only in one of the HL assembly?
3. The condensation disappears in about 2~3 hours under sun. But, does this behavior do any harm on the long run? Does this need a look from the VW service to get it fixed and avoid any complication later?

Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 22:50   #7167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric View Post
1. Is this normal? I never faced this problem in any of my 4 earlier rides.
It does happen if the rubber cover over H4 is lose. Just open bonnet and give a gentle push to rubber cover H4 bulb to see that its a tight fit. That should fix it. It does happen with my Vento as well.

Quote:
2. Should I get this checked - as this happens only in one of the HL assembly?
Try the above method. If it fixes the issue, no need to go to workshop. If it doesn't, then do pay a visit.

Quote:
3. The condensation disappears in about 2~3 hours under sun. But, does this behavior do any harm on the long run? Does this need a look from the VW service to get it fixed and avoid any complication later?
Condensation inside headlight assembly is not good. Even after trying out the above solution it doesn't fix the problem, visit the VW workshop.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2014, 12:40   #7168

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I have a 2011 Vento Highline AT so will try and answer your queries:

Thank you noopster for your valuable inputs.

Wondering what this could be. The AC compressor perhaps? Check if you hear the same sound after you switch off the car (with AC on).
No this is even w/o AC on. But disappears in 10 - 15 mins of running the engine after a cold start. Something I can live with till the next service?

VW HVAC in Auto mode default stays in fresh air mode 90% of the time. Even when you are recirculating, it is never completely sealed off and if the odours outside are exceptionally strong you will smell some of it inside as well. The dust and odour filter has its limitations.

Oh I thought auto with re-circulation doesn't get air from outside. I don't get it then why have recirculation turn on with auto. Anyway I will try getting auto off next time I'm around that area.

Are you being oversensitive? The AC hum is definitely perceptible but not as loud as in some other cars I have driven.

Trust me, I was expecting a quite engine. There were times with my previous duratec engine that I couldn't make out if engine was running until I looked at the rpm metre. The moment the AC comes on and compressor kicks in, I hear the distinct uneasy hum. Let me record it for you once.

Auto button should work fine even in this position. Please get it checked. Incidentally how do you "turn the unit off"? There is no On/Off switch.

One slow anti-clock turn in the blower knob turns off the display. It has to be really slow and just 1step on the knob. I will get it looked at then.

Please get it checked.

Please get it checked.

Complain to VW. They do a survey through their CRM team about a week after the servicing. Also call up the ASS that did the service and ensure that they address all these issues at the earliest.
Oh I did voice my concerns to VW during their routine call and they said I will get a call from service which never happened. And I hadn't uncovered all the issues until then.
Old 13th September 2014, 10:54   #7169
BHPian

Getting my first service for my Vento petrol today. The service advisor at Volkswagen karnavati (ahmedabad) has given me a likely quote of Rs7,500-8,000.

But the guy who came to pick up the vehicle and the service advisor both are trying to hardsell an annual maintenance package to me.

For Rs16,500 they are offering me a one time periodic maintenance service, three times computerised health check, one time wheel balancing, one time a/c disinfection & service, three times surface protection treatment, two times interior cleaning, one time brake service, four times washing free along with labour free for next service and 10 per cent discount on parts.

Is this value for money or a rip-off?
Old 13th September 2014, 13:35   #7170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreepathy View Post
Getting my first service for my Vento petrol today. The service advisor at Volkswagen karnavati (ahmedabad) has given me a likely quote of Rs7,500-8,000.

But the guy who came to pick up the vehicle and the service advisor both are trying to hardsell an annual maintenance package to me.

For Rs16,500 they are offering me a one time periodic maintenance service, three times computerised health check, one time wheel balancing, one time a/c disinfection & service, three times surface protection treatment, two times interior cleaning, one time brake service, four times washing free along with labour free for next service and 10 per cent discount on parts.

Is this value for money or a rip-off?

I dont think so. Lets calculate:

One periodic maintainance service: 10,000-12,000/-
Three Times Health Check: Useless. Value of Product: Nil.
3 Time protection treatment: Again , getting it done at a dealership - useless and you will end up damaging the paint.
2 Times interior cleaning : Rs. 2000/-
1 Time break service: Get it done , out side - brake cleaning will not cost more than Rs.500/-
3 times car wash: Rs. 1500/- .

The only benefit i see is 10% off on parts and labour.

Considering that your next service bill will be : Rs. 15,000 approx. Cost of parts will be 50% so discount of Rs. 750/-.

So it more or less adds to the same 16,000/-.

But there are products and services I would not like to get it done with the dealership due to cheap work quality and products use like, protection treatment and interior cleaning. Will this cost nothing to the dealership , but the quality of work will not be satisfactory IMO.
Padcot Prakash is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks