Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2014, 13:23   #7141
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
The S mode is good no doubt but then the average will go down fast. I checked the average on the test drive car and it showed around 7kmpl. Did think that an AT car would definitely be good for mumbai traffic but in the TDI, you dont require to change the gears very frequently I think. also might consider the City if going for petrol. Right now confused. will post about that in appropriate thread.
True about the mileage but apart from initial kicks you don't use S-mode regularly. D is where it stays most of the time. My last tank-to-tank mileage (calculated last week) in city with A/C was 16 kmpl.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 16:26   #7142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The S mode is good no doubt but then the average will go down fast. I checked the average on the test drive car and it showed around 7kmpl. Did think that an AT car would definitely be good for mumbai traffic but in the TDI, you dont require to change the gears very frequently I think. also might consider the City if going for petrol. Right now confused. will post about that in appropriate thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
True about the mileage but apart from initial kicks you don't use S-mode regularly. D is where it stays most of the time. My last tank-to-tank mileage (calculated last week) in city with A/C was 16 kmpl.
Will second StarScream on that. In bad traffic conditions it will anyway not make sense to use S mode and on open roads even in S mode, the average does not drop too much. I had tested this over a similar 150 KM route. in D mode the avg was 14.5 and dropped to 12.5 when I used S mode.

Since you are ok waiting, probably you can wait for the Vento face lift (Or even the new GT TDI- In which the 1.5 is expected to come in the same state of tune as the new Vento 1.5). Test drive it and see if it gives you the same feel you got with the 1.6 and also compare against the TSI. Based on that you can decide.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 17:28   #7143
BHPian

I am in the same quandary as magikrider. I really liked the TSI (although its not as much to drive as the Polo GT TSi) but prefer the diesel for the extra torque and better mileage. Also, the fully loaded offer for the manuals is very attractive, but I think I would prefer an automatic for daily city driving. While, I don't care much for the facelift, I'm really hoping for the DSG+diesel release which should give me the right mix of power and convenience.
Old 25th August 2014, 20:09   #7144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't mind waiting but will the 1.5 TDI be equally good as the 1.6? plus the console is Blaupunkt in konekt, which is good.
No doubt 1.5 TDi will be equally as good as previous 1.6 TDi.

I rather prefer current RCD unit to Blaupunkt. Mobile is good for navigation anytime with GMaps. You should wait for facelift as changes are worth the money spent. Atleast car would look newer compared to Vento launched in 2010.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 21:09   #7145
BHPian

It makes sense to wait for the facelift only if you want the TDI DSG. because the facelift should be nothing major I think from outside (the face lifted Polo looks just like the pre-facelifted version. can't notice any difference) and inside maybe the console might be little different (which you get in konekt as it is) and a new flat bottom steering wheel. but the prices might increase or discounts might not be offered and the engine will be 1.5 instead of 1.6. so waiting for the facelift makes sense only if you wanna go for the Diesel DSG. I am thinking about the Highline Diesel MT or the City Petrol MT, of which I just took a test drive today but won't discuss here for obvious reasons.

Last edited by magikrider : 25th August 2014 at 21:10.
Old 25th August 2014, 21:57   #7146
BHPian

Quote:
It makes sense to wait for the facelift only if you want the TDI DSG. because the facelift should be nothing major I think from outside (the face lifted Polo looks just like the pre-facelifted version. can't notice any difference) and inside maybe the console might be little different (which you get in konekt as it is) and a new flat bottom steering wheel.
Polo 2014 is built on a revised platform. Pre-facelift Polo MK5 was built on PQ25 whereas the facelifted Polo is built on PQ26 according to what I have read. PQ26 is said to be more rigid and safer compared to older platform and can accommodate newer VW engines. Though its a revision of PQ25, not a fully new platform.

So hopefully the new Vento will also utilize this new platform.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 25th August 2014 at 21:58.
tbppjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 23:03   #7147
BHPian

Hey guys!

The dreaded time of sending the Blackbolt for its 2nd service was here! So I called up Shaman Auto for a service appointed, my details where looked up and was told the service isn't due for a month, which I was impressed as I thought they just wanted to mint money ! The Blackbolt had done 3 long drives in around a months time and the engine bay was in a mess with all the dirt so I insisted. Was surprised that I got an appoint for Monday when I had called them on Thursday the previous week.

I had a good experience at Shaman's Sewri workshop for the 1st service; so I insisted that it went there and not the Lalbaug one which is close to my office.

I asked them to change the brake pads apart from the usual oil/air filter/ac filter fuel filter! The car was picked up at 10 am , got an sms at 11 am that the car had reached for service, followed by a prompt call from SA Anil. I was impressed. Anil was suggested changing the discs too and I asked him to go fly a kite, who changes disc when the car has done just 22500 kms? Gave instructions to change the brake pads only.

At 4.30 pm I call to ask about the delivery time of the car and he mentions that there is too much work load and car can't be delivered today. Fired him saying its a simple service with just brake pad change and I wanted the car the same day. He says he will call me back which he din't, but on following up with him again he said the brake pads were not available and the car will be delivered the same day. How can they not have brake pads in stocks beats me! Or was it just that he couldn't fix them on the same day?

Got the car back at 7.30 pm, cost of service RS. 12,122, it drives perfectly as it can breathe better now (saw the air filter it was jet balck!) but the fact lingers that I need to send it back for changing the brake pads! Anil said the pads have 4mm on them I can change them along with the discs after i have done 30K kms.

After how many kms have others changed their car brake pads and discs?

Cheers!
Old 25th August 2014, 23:19   #7148
BHPian

^ also, what I gather from the new polo reviews is that the new 1.5L drives and feels better than the 1.6 offers better performance and a more linear power delivery. The NVH levels also seem to have been improved. I'm assuming similar changes will be made to the Vento as well.
Old 26th August 2014, 01:05   #7149
Team-BHP Support

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbolt View Post
Hey guys!

The dreaded time of sending the Blackbolt for its 2nd service was here! So I called up Shaman Auto for a service appointed, my details where looked up and was told the service isn't due for a month, which I was impressed as I thought they just wanted to mint money ! The Blackbolt had done 3 long drives in around a months time and the engine bay was in a mess with all the dirt so I insisted. Was surprised that I got an appoint for Monday when I had called them on Thursday the previous week.

I had a good experience at Shaman's Sewri workshop for the 1st service; so I insisted that it went there and not the Lalbaug one which is close to my office.

I asked them to change the brake pads apart from the usual oil/air filter/ac filter fuel filter! The car was picked up at 10 am , got an sms at 11 am that the car had reached for service, followed by a prompt call from SA Anil. I was impressed. Anil was suggested changing the discs too and I asked him to go fly a kite, who changes disc when the car has done just 22500 kms? Gave instructions to change the brake pads only.

At 4.30 pm I call to ask about the delivery time of the car and he mentions that there is too much work load and car can't be delivered today. Fired him saying its a simple service with just brake pad change and I wanted the car the same day. He says he will call me back which he din't, but on following up with him again he said the brake pads were not available and the car will be delivered the same day. How can they not have brake pads in stocks beats me! Or was it just that he couldn't fix them on the same day?

Got the car back at 7.30 pm, cost of service RS. 12,122, it drives perfectly as it can breathe better now (saw the air filter it was jet balck!) but the fact lingers that I need to send it back for changing the brake pads! Anil said the pads have 4mm on them I can change them along with the discs after i have done 30K kms.

After how many kms have others changed their car brake pads and discs?

Cheers!
Are you sure you require the discs to be changed at 30k kms? Sounds too early for change, unless there are specific issues to be assessed like scoring / uneven wear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_g View Post
^ also, what I gather from the new polo reviews is that the new 1.5L drives and feels better than the 1.6 offers better performance and a more linear power delivery. The NVH levels also seem to have been improved. I'm assuming similar changes will be made to the Vento as well.

But all those reviews are of the 90hp tune right? Are there any reviews of the 1.5L 105hp to be used in the Vento?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 26th August 2014 at 01:08.
Old 26th August 2014, 08:06   #7150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Are you sure you require the discs to be changed at 30k kms? Sounds too early for change, unless there are specific issues to be assessed like scoring / uneven wear.
My Vento's brakepads were changed at 30,000 km. Discs lasted till 45,000. Mind you it is an AT so wear on the brakes is more, with my style of driving (mostly in D with foot on brake rather than keep shifting to N)
Old 27th August 2014, 13:53   #7151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
VW does not accept walk-ins as a general rule. One reason for this is probably because the existing service dealerships are stretched pretty thin, e.g. a city like Pune has only 2 dealerships (Maruti probably has a dozen or more). Also, as a policy they seem to have implemented a CRM system where every car that is booked for a service is scheduled in.

They made an exception for you, which in all fairness they were not obligated to do. While there is absolutely no justification for rudeness on an SA's part, they are I feel within their rights to ask you to come back the next day or whenever an appointment is available. Otherwise you may have situations where a walk-in customer gets priority over someone who has booked a slot and patiently awaited his turn. Which you'll agree is not cool!
I understand the appointment concept and ofcourse people who booked should be given first priority. If they say that in a polite and convincing way, I may have agreed but that was not the case. What I did not like is the uncertainty and the communication style. The other issue is 2 days for servicing , I asked the reason and they could not explain. Not sure if all other manufacturers are taking two days to service to their diesels.

My second car is a Hyundai, they might have spoiled me, but I do not think its wrong to expect a quick service. They are not new in India anymore.
Old 27th August 2014, 14:25   #7152
BHPian

Quote:
VW does not accept walk-ins as a general rule. One reason for this is probably because the existing service dealerships are stretched pretty thin, e.g. a city like Pune has only 2 dealerships (Maruti probably has a dozen or more). Also, as a policy they seem to have implemented a CRM system where every car that is booked for a service is scheduled in.

They made an exception for you, which in all fairness they were not obligated to do. While there is absolutely no justification for rudeness on an SA's part, they are I feel within their rights to ask you to come back the next day or whenever an appointment is available. Otherwise you may have situations where a walk-in customer gets priority over someone who has booked a slot and patiently awaited his turn. Which you'll agree is not cool!
Quote:
My Vento's brakepads were changed at 30,000 km. Discs lasted till 45,000. Mind you it is an AT so wear on the brakes is more, with my style of driving (mostly in D with foot on brake rather than keep shifting to N)
Any idea about clutch. They told me that I may have to change clutch in the next service (82000 kms).

My disks lasted 67000, mostly city driving. They told me it could be used for another 5000 kms.
Old 27th August 2014, 17:11   #7153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newway View Post
I understand the appointment concept and ofcourse people who booked should be given first priority. If they say that in a polite and convincing way, I may have agreed but that was not the case. What I did not like is the uncertainty and the communication style. The other issue is 2 days for servicing , I asked the reason and they could not explain. Not sure if all other manufacturers are taking two days to service to their diesels.

My second car is a Hyundai, they might have spoiled me, but I do not think its wrong to expect a quick service. They are not new in India anymore.
I also go to VW Whitefield and have found them to be approachable and accommodating actually. Maybe that day they had rush or full diary or maybe that SA woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

Both my 1st and 2nd service were done same day. I dropped car at around 10AM and by 3PM it was ready (both times). I have also gone to them unscheduled twice (both times for small things - one time the front bumper had come out while reversing from a ML parking - it had to be refitted, the SA even put new screws - about 20mins of work not charged; second time it was issue with front foglamp and bumper because of dog hit - again attended, lamp and bumper fixed and not charged) both times I was good to go in 30mins.

Although I have seen unhappy customers there - people shouting at the staff for delays etc. So maybe they need to improve. But I've had satisfactory-to-good experiences so far.
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2014, 15:04   #7154
BHPian

Quote:
I got them changed at 30K. Only left brake pad was one that was worn out but right one was perfectly fine. Have no idea how that could happen ? any thoughts ?They checked the discs and said there are no issues.

I am reaching 40K in my ~ 3 year running. 3rd service is due in couple of months. Let's see how that one goes.
Old 31st August 2014, 17:49   #7155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_g View Post
But when this Vento 1.5 TDI is expected will be the big question. Is the Konekt edition the last of the current generation Ventos? Importantly, will it be coming before the Rapid's facelift? There are so many who wait for the new Rapid.

Vipin.

Most Viewed