Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2013, 17:59   #6376
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikesh View Post
Headlight assembly change is only after market. I upgraded my vento with projectors six months back and hid costing around 19k including everything. Every penny is worth it if you want to upgrade really and there are no cut-outs so no warranty is being voided. I have posted the pictures and other details in my ownership thread within team-bhp. You can reach out to kishlay.nikesh@gmail.com for more details.
Really tempting! That's the least I could say

Let me see how long I can stay happy with the stock lights. This is a definite upgrade for my car. I will get in touch with you soon. Thanks for sharing the contact details.
Old 1st August 2013, 11:02   #6377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDon View Post

I got the Garmin on mine for the same reason (was upgrading from a Hatch). Maps are good for those who do not know the route.
And during long distance runs, serves as automatic answer machine to 'How much more time Daddy ?'
My 2 cents & my reasons - The audible beeps are proving more useful than the Camera.
a) Camera is not immediately available as soon as car starts. The unit takes a while to start & be ready for use.
b) No audible input/visual 'mtr/cms' to impact displayed. & It is difficult(for me) to interpret real time distance from the display. Just serves as a warning. Not a precise parking aid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hishetty View Post
Very valid points. I too did not find much value with this unit, so did not opt for it at the time of booking. But the audible beeps do not help with gauging the time to impact and so i started looking for an after market solution.
When I was actually thinking of writing about the Garmin piece, I saw this. Ok, mine is mainly used as a reverse camera assist and nothing more than that. The maps are just crap. Even after the update, I am not getting the right route. Probably, if one looks for a route like Mumbai to Bangalore or Delhi to Hyderabad, he may get a proper route. But certainly not a 3rd avenue, Brindavan nagar to Postman colony, 5th street or even St.Peters Church, Goa or Ranganathar Temple, Srirangam.

Also the mount is placed at the edge of the windshield. Is that the right spot? What is the best spot for a mobile mount in a Vento?
Old 1st August 2013, 13:41   #6378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
When I was actually thinking of writing about the Garmin piece, I saw this. Ok, mine is mainly used as a reverse camera assist and nothing more than that. The maps are just crap. Even after the update, I am not getting the right route. Probably, if one looks for a route like Mumbai to Bangalore or Delhi to Hyderabad, he may get a proper route. But certainly not a 3rd avenue, Brindavan nagar to Postman colony, 5th street or even St.Peters Church, Goa or Ranganathar Temple, Srirangam.
My advice to all future Vento purchasers, skip from buying the Garmin device. Its a useless device. With just reverse parking sensor you can easily park Vento without issues. Doing so for about 2.25 yrs.

With money saved you could get a good 5" Android with a car mount and finally Google Maps with 3G connectivity. Done Mumbai-Ganpatiphule, Mumbai-Kolhapur-Goa, Mumbai-Bhandardhara, Mumbai-Aurangabad-Ajanta-Ellora, etc with help of GMaps coupled with Vodafone 3G, never been disappointed. Latest Android 4.1.1 can even reroute and give precise voice navigation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
Also the mount is placed at the edge of the windshield. Is that the right spot? What is the best spot for a mobile mount in a Vento?
I'm using a Capdase Car Mount with Capdase 2.1A USB charger, keeps the juice going in Note II and mounted at the center of windscreen.

Will post a pic by Sunday, when I again be using the above setup for another long drive.

Mostly VW ASC people mount it either beside A-pillar or in middle of windscreen and reroute the cable from inside the dashboard so its not visible. Both of them are good position. Mounting beside A-pillar reduces visibility, personal opinion.

Last edited by el lobo 6061 : 1st August 2013 at 13:44.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 20:45   #6379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
.. skip from buying the Garmin device. Its a useless device. With just reverse parking sensor you can easily park Vento without issues. Doing so for about 2.25 yrs.

With money saved you could get a good 5" Android with a car mount and finally Google Maps with 3G connectivity.
1. Agree, the maps device is not useful when you really need it. You can safely leave it out
2. The downside with a mobile being used for maps is multitude. (1) It drains battery, you will need a car charger. (2) If you charge the mobile and keep the maps on , on a hot day the device is going to heat up (very much), remember when you plug the device on the windshield it will be up in the sunlight that will add a lot to the heat. You can really damage the device if you do this often. (3) 3G is expensive, you can't control the amount of data that google exchanges (its a lot for maps). (4) You need 3G always, if you have a low signal or a tower that does not support it and you can in a neighborhood without 3G not get the turn update in time, this is quite common in Indian citites and towns (5)It always does not rely on GPS but on other mechanims which are not accurate (6) Google know where you are driving and your driving style! if this matters. (7) After a long mobile based navigation, it can be hot to handle and make an immediate call to tell someone you have arrived or call for further directions

You can always buy a better navigation device and use it. I would not rely fully on the mobile.
man_and_machine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2013, 00:30   #6380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post
2. The downside with a mobile being used for maps is multitude. (1) It drains battery, you will need a car charger.
Using a Capdase Pico 2.1A USB charger which keeps Note II powered while being used for navigation. Since the charger has a very high output of 2100 mA, even if device is on low battery it can charge it up while navigation. Most ordinary USB charger have a output less than 1000 mA.

Quote:
(2) If you charge the mobile and keep the maps on , on a hot day the device is going to heat up (very much), remember when you plug the device on the windshield it will be up in the sunlight that will add a lot to the heat. You can really damage the device if you do this often.
ACC Automatic Climate Control keeps the cabin cool enough to have both passengers and Note II well below outside temperatures. The devices are made up for use and manuacturers would have taken it into account while designing such hardware intensive devices.

Quote:
(3) 3G is expensive, you can't control the amount of data that google exchanges (its a lot for maps).
Not at all. Reliance 3G is now at the same price what 2G from any reputed mobile operator is giving. In coming few days various other mobile operator would be reducing their rates as well. Using 2G doesn't give enough bandwidth. For comparison 2G to 3G is like single carriageway in comparison to Golden Quadrilateral. Hope you get the drift. Now with 4G launched by Airtel, mobile bandwidth is certainly on a rise.

Take up a 300 MB plan you can easily do a Mumbai-Kolhapur-Goa and back trip with enough data left for browsing while on holidays. Use a 1 GB plan from Reliance which now costs the same as 300 MB, you wont be able to exhaust it on a single trip by using Gmaps.

Quote:
(4) You need 3G always, if you have a low signal or a tower that does not support it and you can in a neighborhood without 3G not get the turn update in time, this is quite common in Indian citites and towns
Most of the major cities are now covered by 3G and it improve further in future. Yes sometimes due to low signal GPS may be bit lagged but by looking at the map you know where you need to turn. Also you have the directions boards present and never forget to use your common sense while using GPS.

Quote:
(5)It always does not rely on GPS but on other mechanims which are not accurate
Basically it relies on your mobile network and GPS satellites. Nothing else. If you have maps pre-saved then you only need GPS satellite link up to use navigation.

Quote:
(6) Google know where you are driving and your driving style! if this matters.
Google, even your mobile operator knows where you are. People share everything on Facebook updates, privacy is long gone.

Quote:
(7) After a long mobile based navigation, it can be hot to handle and make an immediate call to tell someone you have arrived or call for further directions
I basically dont use the phone which is used for navigational purpose as pointed out by you, it gets hot but not that much. Also it remains plugged into charger and mobile stand. Secondary mobile can do the job of calling, as in when required.

Quote:
You can always buy a better navigation device and use it. I would not rely fully on the mobile.
With very good software available as open source or freeware, doesn't make sense to invest in a separate navigational device. Google Maps for instance gives detailed information and keep getting updated frequently. Also you pay zilch for it. Mobile is the future my friend.

Lets not continue it further as it may get off topic.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2013, 09:46   #6381
BHPian

If you guys are serious on navigation, may I suggest Sygic ( Available for both Andorid and iOS). I agree the maps are not as extensive, but the navigation software is far more advanced than what Google maps or Waze can offer.
Its not cheap, but on Android you can get a 25% discount (over existing 30%). So the price comes to ~700 bucks. On iOS its priced at 1200. An offline navigation is useful when the data connection is out. Sygic also allows you to alter routes and save them (Something Gmaps cannot do). Overall I would say its a worthy addition to your car.
Old 2nd August 2013, 18:27   #6382
BHPian

Hi,
I'm planning "Upgrade" the headlights to an "Auto" headlight module.
The original VW Autoheadlights are coupled with rain sensors and are quite expensive.
However, with a bit for Forums and google, I have come across this unit : http://www.aliexpress.com/item/VW-Au...077014482.html

Needless to say, Im very tempted to go this route, since the cost is not much and the unit seems to work for a lot of people. This is a 10 minutes job to install, and pulling out the existing euro switch is pretty straight forward.
Any thoughts/suggestions ?
Old 2nd August 2013, 18:50   #6383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by allajunaki View Post
Hi,
I'm planning "Upgrade" the headlights to an "Auto" headlight module.
The original VW Autoheadlights are coupled with rain sensors and are quite expensive.
However, with a bit for Forums and google, I have come across this unit : http://www.aliexpress.com/item/VW-Au...077014482.html

Needless to say, Im very tempted to go this route, since the cost is not much and the unit seems to work for a lot of people. This is a 10 minutes job to install, and pulling out the existing euro switch is pretty straight forward.
Any thoughts/suggestions ?
Looks pretty good. for the price, its actually not a bad deal. One Question, where do you put the light sensor? cant leave it dangling on the dash.

Also, have you come accross autofolding OVRMS with LED for our vento anywhere? looking for them for a long time.
Old 2nd August 2013, 19:44   #6384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
Looks pretty good. for the price, its actually not a bad deal. One Question, where do you put the light sensor? cant leave it dangling on the dash.

Also, have you come accross autofolding OVRMS with LED for our vento anywhere? looking for them for a long time.
Sensor can be routed towards the front of the dash, facing the windscreen. I have to make sure that it is pointing at the sky, and below the hood, otherwise high beam from the oncoming traffic ( Which is so common here ) will end up turning off the beam.
Unfortunately I was unable to find folding mirrors yet. But for other vehicles the whole kit is quite expensive. I'm not sure how to retrofit them in our car.
The auto lamps one is an easy mod, since its plug and play.
Old 3rd August 2013, 12:09   #6385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Please update this thread when you find out the reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
If not, this is strange, brake failing and then becoming fine on its own. Get the full system checked and replace the brake fluid if its more than 2 years old.
Do update us.
This regarding the previous problem update on No brake pedal back pressure and bottoming out.

Went to the service centre a few days back. Needless to say they could not find any faults even with the OBD tool. The service advisor was a complete idiot with no knowledge about ABS whatsoever. He asked me to pump the brakes when the ABS kicks in. He was polite and courteous and that probably was a saving grace.

It is really strange as it never repeated again. However if such cases arise probably pumping is the only way out.
Old 6th August 2013, 08:10   #6386

Team,

I request few clarification to be made on the Vento.

1) The 2013 highline variant - once a phone is paired with the BT in the car, and when the phone rings, does the display on the HU show the name of the contact or only the phone number (assuming the caller's name has been stored in the phone directory)?

2) Is it true that the door lock buttons only lock the doors from the outside and not inside? i.e Though the doors are 'locked' at the driver's controls, any door can still be opened from inside (except where child lock has been enabled).
Old 6th August 2013, 13:53   #6387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg55555 View Post
Team,

1) The 2013 highline variant - once a phone is paired with the BT in the car, and when the phone rings, does the display on the HU show the name of the contact or only the phone number (assuming the caller's name has been stored in the phone directory)?
It does NOT display the name, just the number. Address book does not sync with the HU.

I will check the other query later when i get to the car and get back to you on that.
click is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2013, 14:05   #6388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sensor can be routed towards the front of the dash, facing the windscreen. I have to make sure that it is pointing at the sky, and below the hood, otherwise high beam from the oncoming traffic ( Which is so common here ) will end up turning off the beam.
Unfortunately I was unable to find folding mirrors yet. But for other vehicles the whole kit is quite expensive. I'm not sure how to retrofit them in our car.
The auto lamps one is an easy mod, since its plug and play.
The sensors are usually kept in the instrument panel. That it is where it gets dark at the earliest. Helps also to illuminate the meters when needed and since its coupled with lights.
Old 6th August 2013, 14:59   #6389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
The sensors are usually kept in the instrument panel. That it is where it gets dark at the earliest. Helps also to illuminate the meters when needed and since its coupled with lights.
Pretty sure that it is on the windscreen :

"Helps Illuminate Meters"
I did not understand, since our instruments are already backlit, and besides how does light sensor produce light?
If I put the sensor near instrument panel, the light from the panel will fool the sensor into thinking that there is enough ambient light (and thus turning off the lights), which in turn causes the sensor to register low light, which causes the module to turn on the light, and the cycle will repeat. So we will have "flashing lights" effect.
Old 6th August 2013, 16:52   #6390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pretty sure that it is on the windscreen :

"Helps Illuminate Meters"
I did not understand, since our instruments are already backlit, and besides how does light sensor produce light?
If I put the sensor near instrument panel, the light from the panel will fool the sensor into thinking that there is enough ambient light (and thus turning off the lights), which in turn causes the sensor to register low light, which causes the module to turn on the light, and the cycle will repeat. So we will have "flashing lights" effect.
Sorry for not being clear. The light sensors historically have been located near the instrument panel. This is how they worked before the backlit panels came into existence. Vento does not have a backlit panel (not talking about the MID).

You should always have the light sensor where there would be less light and you would need the lights to go on. When sunlight fades, the area in the instrument panel roundabout is the first one that fades even more and its mandatory that you have clear access to the instruments. Hence the sensors were placed there before. This is how it was done in cars. Things might have changed

Last edited by srishiva : 6th August 2013 at 16:53.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks