Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2013, 17:27   #6286
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
If the manufacturer has given certain specs, for the engine and ECU I dont think that might be majorly driven by the costs, but there must be a strong logic behind it, and hundreds and thousands of KM of performance testing. That is my understanding, and since so many people these days are going after these tuning boxes, I am sure there is something wrong in my understanding....

Just trying to understand the reasoning behind it.
Tuning Boxes, Piggy back as well as replacement have a single focus primarily and do not have to meet all the requirements / regulations a vehicle manufacturer has to adhere to. Also, long term reliability and failures of the engine [running upto 3 lakh kms] is very important for any manufacturer.
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2013, 14:29   #6287

Hi, I recently became a proud owner of the VW Vento Comfortline Petrol, Shadow Blue Color. The decision to go in for the Vento was made after a round of a tedious search. It was a search that started off with the Ford Ecosport, to the Hyundai i20, Chevy Sail, Honda Amaze, Maruti Dezire, Hyundai Verna and finally the Maruti SX4. The only thing that stopped me from considering the Vento was VW's heavy maintenance costs (I've been a Maruti Customer for more than a decade!). But nevertheless this beauty was hard to ignore and eventually i had to give in.

I read on Team-bhp and elsewhere that the Vento 2013 model has a few cosmetic changes from the 2012 model apart from the use of Synthetic oil. The blackening of the Headlights were part of the upgrade.

Now my question to fellow bhp-ians is whether this upgrade to the headlamps only applies to all the 3 variants of Vento 2013? When I asked my dealer, ABRA Motors about it I was told that this upgrade was only part of the High end variant. is this true?
Old 5th July 2013, 17:45   #6288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seshadri Kannan View Post

Now my question to fellow bhp-ians is whether this upgrade to the headlamps only applies to all the 3 variants of Vento 2013? When I asked my dealer, ABRA Motors about it I was told that this upgrade was only part of the High end variant. is this true?
The smoked headlamps are an upgrade for all the variants. The dealer is trying to sell you the older models he has in stock. I would suggest going to another dealer.
Old 5th July 2013, 18:05   #6289
BHPian

Nope. Its a Highline only feature, check their Brochure

"And the newest addition to the Vento Highline are a pair of sleek, black headlamps. The next time you hit the road, do it in style."

I have shadow Blue highline, and I personally think that the black headlights look better on White, Silver and Grey.

VW Vento e-Brochure
Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
The smoked headlamps are an upgrade for all the variants. The dealer is trying to sell you the older models he has in stock. I would suggest going to another dealer.

Last edited by allajunaki : 5th July 2013 at 18:11.
allajunaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2013, 18:37   #6290
BHPian

my mistake, I thought the brochure picture was common to all variants. Well, I take back my word.
click is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 00:17   #6291
BHPian

I was told by a SA today that new Vento's are now coming with JK or MRF tires only. He did not remember the exact names. Can anyone confirm?
Old 10th July 2013, 04:21   #6292
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift Express View Post
Wanted to share with all you a mechanical issue that i encountered in my Vento TDI in Feb-12... Handed over the car and after 3 hours got callback stating that the Reinforced Rubber Pipe that supplies AIR from the Turbo to the engine had got punctured and that the same had to be replaced. That was the reason why the turbo was not kicking in
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
...in my case the pipe that supplies fresh air to the turbo has a leak. Moral of the story, the glow plug comes in case of all general ECU alarms and malfunctions
My colleague was depressed with his 8-month old Vento TDi, and was sharing his voes yesterday. Identical symptoms - only difference is that the service center is still unable to point out the reason so far (almost 20 days in their premises). I had opined to keep turbo as the primary suspect.

Thanks a ton for sharing your experiences. I have pointed my colleagues attention to your posts and am hoping that his ride gets back to him to his satisfaction.
Old 10th July 2013, 09:15   #6293
BHPian

Quote:
The only thing that stopped me from considering the Vento was VW's heavy maintenance costs (I've been a Maruti Customer for more than a decade!).
Hey Seshadri having evaluated the service cost of VW /MASS, in my experience it almost comes to same cost with few minor difference here and there .

Please refer my post

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3174227
Old 10th July 2013, 14:00   #6294

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
Hey Seshadri having evaluated the service cost of VW /MASS, in my experience it almost comes to same cost with few minor difference here and there .

Please refer my post

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3174227
very true sandeep. but there's always the cost of spares, which in my opinion is still a tad too high compared to those of Maruti suzuki's. But these factors are sidelined when you consider the pleasure of owning a VW product.
Old 10th July 2013, 18:37   #6295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
very true sandeep. but there's always the cost of spares, which in my opinion is still a tad too high compared to those of Maruti suzuki's. But these factors are sidelined when you consider the pleasure of owning a VW product.
Sorry , I disagree on the comment about spares. I have changed backlight assembly , brake discs aprt from the usual brake pads , filters, etc - there maybe a difference of 50-100 bucks here and there but overall nothing extra ordinary . In fact if I am not mistaken , the OEM brake disc of Vento costs less than than a comparable MASS product .

I guess if people can steer clear of changing alloys , which are priced at exorbitant levels, costs should not be a worry . Thats my experience over 2 years , 45000 km and 3 services
Old 10th July 2013, 19:37   #6296
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Sorry , I disagree on the comment about spares. I have changed backlight assembly , brake discs aprt from the usual brake pads , filters, etc - there maybe a difference of 50-100 bucks here and there but overall nothing extra ordinary . In fact if I am not mistaken , the OEM brake disc of Vento costs less than than a comparable MASS product .
I am in agreement with souravc, i don't keep a record on the service done at VW but i could say that it is just merely few thousand more that the MASS.

MASS being really cheap is something i wouldn't buy since our ertiga and sx4D service cost would be a bit less than the VW . I don't see a major difference in cost .

To give an example 20 k service cost from MASS would almost touch 10 K while the 15 k service cost from VW would touch between 10 to 12 k . I assume this is just a standard service with no major issue
Old 11th July 2013, 07:13   #6297
BHPian

Volkswagen's Advertisment (Polo and Vento) in today's local news paper.

Maintenance for 3 years ? I do not think it is free.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-image2068885902.jpg  

Old 11th July 2013, 08:14   #6298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhu View Post
Volkswagen's Advertisment (Polo and Vento) in today's local news paper.

Maintenance for 3 years ? I do not think it is free.
No it's not, but it seems to be a good deal. For the AT variant, I have been quoted ₹ 602 emi/month for 36months (3 years) for AMC. Which translates to ₹ 21,672/3yrs or ₹ 7224 per year. Going by Vento ownership threads the avg maintenance bill comes around ₹8000-₹11000 plus one gets the benignity of paying in emi.

Ofcourse the catch is that one has to take the 10.8% vw finance to avail this offer.
Old 11th July 2013, 15:54   #6299

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc
I am in agreement with souravc, i don't keep a record on the service done at VW but i could say that it is just merely few thousand more that the MASS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post

To give an example 20 k service cost from MASS would almost touch 10 K while the 15 k service cost from VW would touch between 10 to 12 k . I assume this is just a standard service with no major issue
Thanks guys. good to know that I wont be spending anymore than I would on a Maruti. Will keep that in mind.
Old 13th July 2013, 17:46   #6300
BHPian

Fellow vento heads,

Urgent question: All of a sudden my check engine light has come on. went to the Apple Auto guys and they've asked me to come back on monday.... without even checking as to whether its safe to drive the car back home and then to the workshop on monday in the first place. also my mileage has really tanked out. I get a paisa busting 8 in city and 10 on the highway.

Any suggestions or ideas on what could be causing the malfunction light to glow and the ridiculously bad mileage?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks