BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Congratulations.

+ you got the discount on the ex-showroom price
- you paid for incidental charges

Pointers:
  • I'm assuming you got insurance for free, and is inclusive in the price mentioned in your post. If that or you are getting it from the dealer or on your own. Do not ignore zero dep.
  • Tire upgrade - would recommend this to be done right after the delivery. At an approx cost of 10+k extra, you'll get a better set of wheels
  • Get the VAS updates (auto-lock/speed-lock/etc) - i.e. if it hasn't already been enabled on your car in advance
  • Do you need the accessories? Seems to be a bit high for the list you mentioned

Enjoy the delivery! Fun days ahead!
Thanks @ninjatalli !

Insurance is paid by my company : Negotiated and Paid the delta to company & Went for Bajaj Drive Assure (included all options they had - Engine Protector, etc) : Thanks to TBHP !

Discount of 27 K = 12 K (Corp Discount) + 15 K (Discount in lieu of Free Insurance )
- And I pushed to get this on the Ex-Showroom (not sure if this is legal though). Lesser EMI's is my only benefit since Road Tax is also paid by Company.

Accessories :- Did not think too much. Anything that protected the car - I said 'Yes'.

Am going out to get delivery now. Will check the VAS status/need for updates.

Tire Upgrade :- Was planning this seriously. But am almost out of budget at the moment. Will rethink. Any best options ? Tolerance to bad roads/punctures is my priority No 1.

Cheers !
Old 26th December 2012, 13:58   #5522
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ With respect to tried & tested options for tires, Continentals CPC2 (@mikon, @souravc, myself), Turanzas (@bala80, @prabhuferrari, @souravc), Yokohama (@noopster), MRF ZLOs (@popolum (?) and a few others).

Most preferred option 195/60/R15; 205/55/R15 should also do fit the requirement.

There is a thread on tire upgrade options for the Vento - look it up.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2012, 14:02   #5523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDon View Post
Will be officially joining the gang today ! This thread is my new home !
Finally booked a Terra Beige Vento 1.6 TDI Highline. (and about to take delivery)
Good news & Hearty congratulations to you Dileep. So the long hunt for your next car is finally over. If I am not wrong you had booked the Rapid earlier, then what made you move to Vento? Also you were supposed to TD the Ertiga as well. Could you manage the test drive of the Ertiga before finalizing on the Vento?

What are you going to do with your old trustworthy workhorse, the Indica? Sell it or you are going to retain it as a beater car?
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2012, 17:11   #5524
BHPian

Quote:
^^ With respect to tried & tested options for tires, Continentals CPC2 (@mikon, @souravc, myself), Turanzas (@bala80, @prabhuferrari, @souravc), Yokohama (@noopster), MRF ZLOs (@popolum (?) and a few others).
I would rephrase it as this @souravc ( CPC2, Yoko C Drive, Michelin Primacy). Yes his Vento is almost a tire showroom now. I too have upgraded to Bridgestone Potenzas (update yet to be done on my own thread).

Quote:
Tire Upgrade :- Was planning this seriously. But am almost out of budget at the moment. Will rethink. Any best options ? Tolerance to bad roads/punctures is my priority No 1.

Cheers !
Congrats on your new ride. Wish you many happy miles on it. The 195/60/15 gives you a theoretical boost of a GC Of 6 mm which the 205/60/15 doesn't. Be aware that BS Turanzas do not come in the 195/60/15 profile anymore. The choices in the 195/60/15 are also getting limited. You can post more of your questions in the Vento tire upgrade thread if you do not find enough information to come to a decision.
samarjitdhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2012, 17:17   #5525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats DieselDon, thats a surprise, i was expecting your thread or post in the Skoda Rapid thread and not here. If you can, do let us know what shifted your mind in favour of Vento against Rapid.
Have fun with the TDi (thats a wicked grin which you will experience every day after run in )

For the tyres, please change them. The true worth of the car comes out only after changing to a better tyre, the Apollos may be ok but many members experienced recurring punctures and issues after 20-25k kms. You can change to 195/60 R15 as it has a lot of options and you can either go for Continental CPC2 or Bridgestones - these can take any amount of abuse, have MY01 on my Vento and they are brilliant tyres.

With 195/60 you will get additional ground clearance of around 8 mm to 176 mm. 205 is the best upgrade in regards to % error while upsizing but it has very limited options.

All the best.
coolboy007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2012, 11:03   #5526
BHPian

Quote:

Most preferred option 195/60/R15; 205/55/R15 should also do fit the requirement.

There is a thread on tire upgrade options for the Vento - look it up.
@Ninja, You left me out of the Turanza list - I was the first one to shod the vento with a 195' Turanza (I know you can blame me for a long quiet run on the forum) I think its the best pair of shoes for a vento. However the 195 inchers screw up the ODO readings and the mileage to a small extent (not negligible though).

On a different note, I had sold my old Vento 3 months back for many a reasons I dont want to get into in this forum. Am back in the market for a new car and Vento continues to top my list. Can someone advise me on the best dealer for VW. There is a Palace Cross & Downtown VW and am not sure which one to go for. Bangalore VW owners, kindly share your feedback.
Old 27th December 2012, 11:32   #5527
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
@Ninja, You left me out of the Turanza list - I was the first one to shod the vento with a 195' Turanza (I know you can blame me for a long quiet run on the forum) I think its the best pair of shoes for a vento. However the 195 inchers screw up the ODO readings and the mileage to a small extent (not negligible though).
Ah gawd, I knew I was going to be flamed for that post. Should have put a disclaimer.

Quote:
On a different note, I had sold my old Vento 3 months back for many a reasons I dont want to get into in this forum. Am back in the market for a new car and Vento continues to top my list. Can someone advise me on the best dealer for VW. There is a Palace Cross & Downtown VW and am not sure which one to go for. Bangalore VW owners, kindly share your feedback.
Shucks. Now that's a hard decision to take (the selling part).

What's the update on the 1.6 tdi Polo, anyone? Maybe if you can wait & watch, you should probably wait for more updates on that.

OT Trivia: Always keep thinking about this - what does a 1-2 year old tdi figure out on the resale market? Anyone?
Old 27th December 2012, 11:56   #5528
BHPian

Thanks @ninjatalli, @samarjitdhar, @coolboy007, @AutoIndian, @SR-71

To Summarize : I am chickening out of the 'tyre upgrade' plan.
Reason : No, Not the cost.
[infact I got a lip-smacking deal of 4K INR(4 tyres) to upgrade to MY01/02(I hear these are imported. Phew.) 's or ER60's(probably old stock with one vendor)]
Real Reason : Just realized that VW is no TaTa. Cannot fight VW (godforbid - if something goes wrong). Warranty Fears !

Revised game-plan : 2 yrs on stock. Till then - Survive, Somehow, Increase the volume, Slow down more often, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
The 195/60/15 gives you a theoretical boost of a GC Of 6 mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
With 195/60 you will get additional ground clearance of around 8 mm to 176 mm.
Not to pick, but rather to clear my understanding. 195/60/15 > gives a Diameter increase of ~ 6mm (courtesy Vento Tyre Upgrade thread). GC increase = Radius increase ~ 3 mm. Am I right ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
If you can, do let us know what shifted your mind in favour of Vento against Rapid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
If I am not wrong you had booked the Rapid earlier, then what made you move to Vento?
Infact the Rapid was my wifey's choice ! I preferred the Rapid till I chanced to see the technical specifications of the suspension setup & NVH Insulation. L54: Suspension range 54 installation control only, no requirement forecast & 3W3: Special interior noise suppression - Same specs in Rapid & Vento. Thanks to @newtonMeter & @coolboy007

A rather silly one : My company(corp lease) does not agree to Insurance done with dealer. Skoda provides extended warranty only with Skoda Shield which in turns clubs the dealer provided Insurance. Irony - Both my company & the dealer chose Bajaj Allianz. & quotes were within 1K of each other ~ 28 K (Drive Assure).

A strong one : Skoda in Hyderabad(infact AP & Orissa) has only one vendor (Mahavir Motors). & you know how they treat you in a monopoly.

How I feel better : Vento makes better financial sense. Small-small things like the better seat covers, Reverse Sensors, USB, etc add up & the price suddenly looks justified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
What are you going to do with your old trustworthy workhorse, the Indica? Sell it or you are going to retain it as a beater car?
The Indica would be disposed. I do not have 2 parking spaces yet.
Even if I had the parking space, I do not think I can maintain 2 cars at the moment.
& No one gets to 'beat' my cars ! They have to pass me first. Only single handed self-drive, very few excuses.

Last edited by DieselDon : 27th December 2012 at 12:01.
Old 27th December 2012, 19:21   #5529
Senior - BHPian

Small update:

Going tomorrow to VW KSM Motors for wheel alignment. Yes, wheel alignment from VW, I don't trust the road side shops at my place. Have also planned to see if other things could be rectified too. Wheel alignment charges Rs 350.

Other thing, which we all VW owners have now started to find is waiting period for service. So anyway asked the Q to the lady on the phone, to find out that I could get my car serviced earliest on 7 Jan'13. Good, considering there would be new year holiday in between.

So the situation is better here compared to Pune.
Old 28th December 2012, 01:28   #5530
BHPian

Quote:
Not to pick, but rather to clear my understanding. 195/60/15 > gives a Diameter increase of ~ 6mm (courtesy Vento Tyre Upgrade thread). GC increase = Radius increase ~ 3 mm. Am I right ?
It is not the diameter, it is the height of the sidewall.

Stock tyre sidewall height (185/60 R15): 60% of 185 = 111mm
Upgraded tyre sidewall height (195/60 R15): 60% of 195 = 117mm

So Samarjit is right in saying that theoretically, the ground clearance will increase by 6mm. In case of 205/55 R15 tyres, the sidewall height will increase only by 1.8mm.

Last edited by nileshch : 28th December 2012 at 01:33.
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2012, 11:23   #5531
BHPian

Quote:
Real Reason : Just realized that VW is no TaTa. Cannot fight VW (godforbid - if something goes wrong). Warranty Fears !
Umm. If I am not mistaken I think the tire upgrade if at all would affect the warranty for the suspension only (experts may correct me if I am wrong). I am not even sure if just going for wider profile tires or increasing the rim size affects the warranty. The chances of the suspension going kaput within the warranty period should be very very slim. A lot of us I guess decided to go with that small risk in exchange for a much better driving experience. However at the end this is your call so go with what makes you feel most comfortable regardless of what any of us tell you here.
Old 29th December 2012, 17:16   #5532
jpm
BHPian

Having a peculiar dilemma with my Vento in fixing the rear HSN plates.

The shop guys tell me that the existing holes being so closely placed, the plate cannot be fixed in the middle of the space provided without drilling additional holes on the boot. I am not very keen on drilling new holes. At least if it was on the bumper, I would have okayed it but directly on the body, not so keen.

I was left with two other options.
1) Fix the plate much lower; aligned with the lower lip of the space provided.

or

2) Fix the plate in the centre without any screws involved with hi power glue. He assures me that this thing wont fall off at any rate. Much like the Ventos from the VW site though I suspect those are photoshopped.

Option 1 looks very unenticing.

My query is has any other bhpian come across such an issue and how have they resolved it; by drilling fresh holes or by gluing the thing?
Old 29th December 2012, 17:52   #5533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm View Post
My query is has any other bhpian come across such an issue and how have they resolved it; by drilling fresh holes or by gluing the thing?
I had the same dilemma but had to give in and get 2 holes drilled into the boot, the way stock holes are, the number plate would be installed way down and looks totally ugly and out of shape.

I havent faced any issues so far but dont know if it is safe or not, i did get those drilled, wont take chance with the super glue, if the damn plate falls off, then one has to go through the whole painful process of getting the new plates made.
Rules in our country are made without any thoughts and they are making same sizes plates for all the cars , they give a damn about holes and drilling.
Old 29th December 2012, 18:06   #5534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm View Post
Having a peculiar dilemma with my Vento in fixing the rear HSN plates.

The shop guys tell me that the existing holes being so closely placed, the plate cannot be fixed in the middle of the space provided without drilling additional holes on the boot. I am not very keen on drilling new holes. At least if it was on the bumper, I would have okayed it but directly on the body, not so keen.

I was left with two other options.
1) Fix the plate much lower; aligned with the lower lip of the space provided.

or

2) Fix the plate in the centre without any screws involved with hi power glue. He assures me that this thing wont fall off at any rate. Much like the Ventos from the VW site though I suspect those are photoshopped.

Option 1 looks very unenticing.

you dont need to get additional holes done. There are number plate frames/holders available which are kind of a bracket in which the plate is fixed. the frames have multiple holes so could be fixed without any need for a new hole on the car. had the same issue with my Rapid and i didnt want any new hole on the front bumper so just bought these.
torque18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2012, 18:19   #5535
Distinguished - BHPian

Ventonians,
Q. What does this sign signify?

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_20121228_204709.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks