Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2012, 13:26   #3916
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I was wondering whether the Vento Trendline is a better buy compared to the Vento Highline as
  • I do not want the Alloys. They are soft and already one of our members has cracked his. Steel wheels are much more robust, and repairable.
  • I want my own ICE
  • I am not particularly in favour of air bags, so can give them a miss
  • I have been driving for 40+ years without ABS, and give them a miss. As it is I rarely dive above 100 on highways, and keep noting the surface conditions in real time while driving.
  • I prefer normal Ac to Climate controlled one
  • I prefer my own calculations to that performed by "MID"
  • Perfectly happy with manually adjusted outer mirrors. Till date I have set them up, and rarely change the setting.
The only useful thing that I will miss is the height adjustment in the driver's seat. I can live with it.

All in all the lower version is going to be 1.7L less. Add ICE and third party alloys (if at all) and a few other gizmos, and I am still 1L better off. Views of members are welcome.
Go for it. Seriously.

The brakes of the Vento are pretty decent, haven't yet got an opportunity to test the ABS, even when I have gone well over 150 several times. Still if possible, I would suggest you to go for the alternative that has ABS (e.g. Rapid mid-line) and is yet not that costly.

As for the rest of the features, you can give it a miss - none of them are a deal breaker. The driver's seat hight adjustment you can live with. But do have a TD on a trendline and figure out a position (by adjusting the seat front-back & the steering wheel) that suits you best. I have had to re-do my seating only twice - once when I bought the car, and second when I put the seat covers. Since then the seat adjustment been's hardly touched, forget being used.

Get in touch with @mikon to get a good idea of what shortcomings you might find in the trendline. With an odo of 25k, I doubt if there is a better person on this forum to tell you about it.
Old 27th January 2012, 13:57   #3917
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was wondering whether the Vento Trendline is a better buy compared to the Vento Highline as
  • I do not want the Alloys. They are soft and already one of our members has cracked his. Steel wheels are much more robust, and repairable.
  • I want my own ICE
  • I have been driving for 40+ years without ABS, and give them a miss. As it is I rarely dive above 100 on highways, and keep noting the surface conditions in real time while driving.
  • Perfectly happy with manually adjusted outer mirrors. Till date I have set them up, and rarely change the setting.
The only useful thing that I will miss is the height adjustment in the driver's seat. I can live with it.

All in all the lower version is going to be 1.7L less. Add ICE and third party alloys (if at all) and a few other gizmos, and I am still 1L better off. Views of members are welcome.
Agree on the ICE and Alloys bit, but not in favour of airbags, and ABS can be ignored as well?

Sorry to disagree on this thought process. You may be a good driver, but the other road users may not be. Airbags can possibly save you in an accident even if you are not responsible for the collision.

IMO, if you can get hold of a 2011 Vento HL TDI with the current offers, please go for it. I consider that as extreme VFM in comparison with the bare bone TL.
Old 27th January 2012, 15:01   #3918
Senior - BHPian

I agree with vb-san's comment here. If not the 2011 vento's atleast go for the rapid ambition variant which has all the necessary features.

I personally dont see any reason why anyone would pick up a vento TL over rapid. If not for the skoda please evaluate other options including SX4 DDIS, Verna 1.6 CRDI etc.

Quote:
Views of members are welcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Sorry to disagree on this thought process. You may be a good driver, but the other road users may not be. Airbags can possibly save you in an accident even if you are not responsible for the collision.

IMO, if you can get hold of a 2011 Vento HL TDI with the current offers, please go for it. I consider that as extreme VFM in comparison with the bare bone TL.
Old 27th January 2012, 16:10   #3919
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Go for it. Seriously.

The brakes of the Vento are pretty decent, haven't yet got an opportunity to test the ABS, even when I have gone well over 150 several times. Still if possible, I would suggest you to go for the alternative that has ABS (e.g. Rapid mid-line) and is yet not that costly.

As for the rest of the features, you can give it a miss - none of them are a deal breaker. The driver's seat hight adjustment you can live with. But do have a TD on a trendline and figure out a position (by adjusting the seat front-back & the steering wheel) that suits you best. I have had to re-do my seating only twice - once when I bought the car, and second when I put the seat covers. Since then the seat adjustment been's hardly touched, forget being used.

Get in touch with @mikon to get a good idea of what shortcomings you might find in the trendline. With an odo of 25k, I doubt if there is a better person on this forum to tell you about it.
Actually it is not the cost of Highline, but the unwanted extra features, which made me think of the Trendline. Anyway thank you and GTO for the feedback. Actually I am still undecided on whether to get the Vento/Rapid or the Figo, or wait for a decent 4x4. This purchase is purely for replacing my aging Esteem as and when all four of us traveling together.

bala80 : I am still apprehensive of the Skoda service as a lot of my friends in Delhi are not very happy with either their aptitude or their attitude. I hear Bangalore has a good dealer, but Delhi is still not upto it. I have negotiated Vento Highline for approximately 10.7L inclusive of insurance. If I get my own then it comes down to 10.3 + 16k for insurance. But at the same time the Trendline is 9.36 - insurance = 9, so what am I paying 1.3L for?

Edit2 : I did think of SX4 diesel, but the 1.6 mill of Vento/Rapid is much more alluring, though SX4 has bigger tyres, higher GC and being Maruti (hopefully) lower cost of maintenance.

Last edited by Aroy : 27th January 2012 at 16:20. Reason: new post
Old 27th January 2012, 17:05   #3920
BHPian

What's the run-in period/distance for Vento TDI? (apologies for repeating the question)
Old 27th January 2012, 22:32   #3921
BHPian

Quote:
  • I want my own ICE

My view exactly. The drive of the car matters a lot more than the gizmos. Own a trendline and I'm quite happy. Can always make the mods that really matter.
Old 28th January 2012, 00:45   #3922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhatiagagan View Post
What's the run-in period/distance for Vento TDI? (apologies for repeating the question)
According to the user manual it is 1000 kms and one shouldn't exceed 2/3rd of the top speed of the car during run in period which translates into 124 Kmph keeping in mind top speed of 186 Kmph.
Old 28th January 2012, 22:07   #3923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaja View Post
Hi Rock22, Platinum discount would be more than 19K. I got 27K. Please check again with the dealer.
Thanks skaja. The dealer has finally verified the amount of platinum discount. Its 27K for diesel and 22K for petrol... maybe its less for petrol for the price difference?
Old 28th January 2012, 23:51   #3924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
  • I want my own ICE
Agree with alloys, Ice & Electric mirrors.
But about ABS, Airbags, ACC, MID---- looks like you are tying to convince yourself to get a TL. I would not do that if I were you.

Another thing is go for 0 depreciation in insurance. Some stupid fellow banged mu rear. It was a whooping 30K for replacement of rear bumper & denting/painting of boot. I had to pay only 1K.
Old 29th January 2012, 10:36   #3925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Agree with alloys, Ice & Electric mirrors.
But about ABS, Airbags, ACC, MID---- looks like you are tying to convince yourself to get a TL. I would not do that if I were you.

Another thing is go for 0 depreciation in insurance. Some stupid fellow banged mu rear. It was a whooping 30K for replacement of rear bumper & denting/painting of boot. I had to pay only 1K.
Yes, I am trying to figure out whether I need the extras in the HL. The only thing that allures me to HL is the height adjustable seats, ABS & MID, but I have been driving without those for 45 years and can live without them for some more time.

Regarding alloys, I prefer taller tyres for the ride, so am not keen on lower profile tyres. Add to that, there are only 4 alloys, which means I cannot rotate all the 5 tyres to achieve uniform wear, so I will have to get the fifth changed. (Pretty stupid not to provide the alloy in spare, after all we have much more punctures than Europe)

I though that with the zero depreciation insurance you have to pay "Zero". How is 1K factored in?
Old 29th January 2012, 13:41   #3926
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I though that with the zero depreciation insurance you have to pay "Zero". How is 1K factored in?
That's generally the claim processing fees, so was I told. In my claim, I had to shell out 1200 bucks, rest all was taken care by AIG.
Old 29th January 2012, 15:43   #3927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
It's private now, Will update once ready.
The thread is ready and available now
Old 29th January 2012, 18:46   #3928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I am trying to figure out whether I need the extras in the HL. The only thing that allures me to HL is the height adjustable seats, ABS & MID, but I have been driving without those for 45 years and can live without them for some more time.
Aroy, I agree that sometimes the premium variants are not worth some of the extras like:
a. ACC: I can set hot/cold and fan speed, thank you very much manufacturer!
b. Bluetooth connectivity: I do not answer calls while driving and on highways carry a Bluetooth headphone since I can't delay drives to answer calls.
c. iPOD / USB connectivity: Still listen to Audio CDs the old-fashioned way. One album a day.
d. MID: I can calculate by looking at the odo and the fuel gauge and the fuel station dispenser.
e. Door ajar warning: If the the central locking doesn't lock, it means a door is open, simple.

To me, however, ABS and Airbags are important as they might prove useful at that ONE fateful moment in your life when things go wrong. Cars have become faster and morons are more in number on the roads now. Mind you, I do not own a car with ABS or Airbags. I chose the Palio Multijet SDE instead of SDX as the SDX did not provide ABS and Airbags.
Old 29th January 2012, 19:06   #3929
BHPian

Guys, any idea about the onroad price for Vento in Kochi? Is there a way to find the prices from volkswagen site??
Old 29th January 2012, 20:33   #3930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
Guys, any idea about the onroad price for Vento in Kochi? Is there a way to find the prices from volkswagen site??
You can either contact the dealer

EVM Motors & Vehicles India Pvt.Ltd.
Building No.II/4C, National Highway,
Kannadikkadu, Maradu,
Cochin - 682 304
Kerala

or

go to carwale.com and get the on road price. They do not have Kochi, but you can choose a nearby town. Give the particulars needed (you can give any fictitious data) and they will give a pretty reasonable on-the-road price. Volkswagen Vento On-Road Price Quote - CarWale

I got this for Vento Highline diesel in Kottayam
Ex-Showroom 9,78,586 (A)
RTO 66,715 (B)
Insurance 37,801 (C)
On Road Price 10,83,10

You can better rates for insurance from AIG

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks