Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2011, 20:41   #3196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Finally the Black Beauty arrives. Congratulations! I expect a lot of beautiful photos on your thread - that is one photogenic color if there ever was!

It ain't a race mate Plus remember I got a 3k+ trip coming up this month end!

Wonderful. Do approach any of us if you need any help in PDI, etc.

@Prabhu, @Ricky, @MaserQ - while you guys enjoy your cars, please do not fail to have the tire(s) pressure checked up asap!

I did mine today, after a period of 2 weeks & 1400 kms - the air pressure in all four tires was between 42 - 45!!! Even though I had read about this in @noopster & others' threads, I forgot to do this earlier.

OT : Whom does VW assume will be driving their cars? Hippos?

Thanks for the caution. That is the first thing I do after I tank up. Factory guys always fill the tyres way beyond normal - to safegaurd against long standing cars for delivery & also (I think) to check the tyres.

I have routinely had cars with 40 psi+ when driven out of the showroom. The only exception was Audi, who made sure the tyre pressure was perfect & fuel tank was half full..

Cheers
Old 8th October 2011, 20:57   #3197
BHPian

Quote:
I did mine today, after a period of 2 weeks & 1400 kms - the air pressure in all four tires was between 42 - 45!!! Even though I had read about this in @noopster & others' threads, I forgot to do this earlier.

OT : Whom does VW assume will be driving their cars? Hippos?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Thanks for the caution. That is the first thing I do after I tank up. Factory guys always fill the tyres way beyond normal - to safegaurd against long standing cars for delivery & also (I think) to check the tyres.
That could be the reason. I used to think VW puts in high pressures to give us the initial highs out of great mileages! The joy of seeing a reading of 22kmpl on your first drive out of the city is great. And then you realize that figure is because of the 41 psi in your tires!
Old 8th October 2011, 21:15   #3198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
That could be the reason. I used to think VW puts in high pressures to give us the initial highs out of great mileages! The joy of seeing a reading of 22kmpl on your first drive out of the city is great. And then you realize that figure is because of the 41 psi in your tires!

Let me if I may - say this - ALL car makers send the cars out of the factory with higher than recommended tyre pressure. One never knows how long the car is in the Yards before someone actually takes delivery.

Ideally the PDI is supposed to be done to check any & every thing before the car is delivered to the customer. I am afraid most car dealerships just paste the PDI DONE sticker, without actually even checking the engine oil level..

The car industry is at a take off stage & eventually dealers will realize what differentiates a good dealer from a not so good one is service

Cheers
Old 8th October 2011, 21:34   #3199
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Lol. That's an interesting thought. So do I jack up the pressures in all tires to get more mileage all the time? What are the downsides? (other than the bump-ier ride)
Old 8th October 2011, 21:44   #3200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lol. That's an interesting thought. So do I jack up the pressures in all tires to get more mileage all the time? What are the downsides? (other than the bump-ier ride)
Suspension goes for a six & uneven tyre wear
Ricky_63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2011, 00:10   #3201
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Suspension goes for a six & uneven tyre wear
Yes, that's right. Suspension will have to absorb all shocks with very high pressures. But I do routinely increase the tire pressure for highway trips and when there are more people in the car. Gives me best of class mileage, plus stability at high speeds. My preferences are 32psi for daily city commutes and 34(F)/36(R) for highway trips.
Old 9th October 2011, 10:21   #3202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, that's right. Suspension will have to absorb all shocks with very high pressures. But I do routinely increase the tire pressure for highway trips and when there are more people in the car. Gives me best of class mileage, plus stability at high speeds. My preferences are 32psi for daily city commutes and 34(F)/36(R) for highway trips.

I am also running 32 psi for daily use. 34/36 psi sounds good for Highway runs, though one must remember that the tyre pressure increases any which way on the highway due to heating up of the tyre. The recommended TP for 5 people & luggage is 38 psi (not sure) for the rear & 34 for the front. So you are sure within safe limits..

Cheers
Old 9th October 2011, 11:10   #3203
BHPian

Thanks for the wishes guys. Started the photoshoot today.

First thing I did in the morning was to visit the friendly neighborhood service station. The Air pressure was 46 PSI as expected. Changed to 33 for all 4 wheels. Did not change the stock tyres yet as the roads near my house are quite bad due to BWSSB work.

Will start the ownership thread soon.
Old 10th October 2011, 14:58   #3204

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Let me make this simple: A warranty is void when the dealership says it's void.

Technically any change that does not meet with the manufacturer's original spec is a warranty-buster. e.g. I can change the 185/60 R15 OE tyres to another brand of same-spec tyres without voiding it but the moment I go 195/60 or 205/55, for example, poof goes my warranty!

Modifying horns and headlamps surely will void the warranty. I even held back from changing my ICE despite my accessories guy assuring me no wires would be cut. It's a new car, and I want my 2 years to pass uneventfully (inshallah) before I start playing around with stuff.
I am surprised! These auto makers are so stubborn! I wrote to VW Europe as well as India that I needed to put-up Rally 3000 auxiliary lamps which I need for extreme driving (Rally marshaling) and a powerful horns....I requested them for my safety in driving their brand!!! They turned down my request. Infact they do not even trust their European brands. Our Car manufacturer's association too kept MUM!!!!!http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...rustration.gif
Old 10th October 2011, 18:25   #3205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoocal View Post
I am surprised! These auto makers are so stubborn! I wrote to VW Europe as well as India that I needed to put-up Rally 3000 auxiliary lamps which I need for extreme driving (Rally marshaling) and a powerful horns....I requested them for my safety in driving their brand!!! They turned down my request. Infact they do not even trust their European brands. Our Car manufacturer's association too kept MUM!!!!!http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...rustration.gif
No manufacturer (at least in India) allows any change from the original specs and any change could lead to a void warrenty if something unforseen happens. I had written to M&M for change in the OEM headlamps to the white vision lamps (Philips, same rating as the original ones which are also Philips). I was told to get the entire kit replaced (Scorpio's latest version has white vision lamps) which included the head lamp assembly and the bonnet and an approximate quote of 15K+.
Old 10th October 2011, 19:24   #3206
BHPian

Question on the FE Displayed in the MID (Car: Vento Highline Petrol)
a) when the car engine is running but the car is stationary - the FE displayed keeps jumping from as low as 6 all the way to 64kpml. The higher values confirm that this is just something wrong with the logic or equipment which calculates the FE

b) when the car engine is off - the FE displayed is a low of 8.5kpml.

I remember reading something about this in the manual but I've misplaced it. Does anyone know which of these values is correct and what the other means (assuming that 'b' is correct, then what is 'a' displaying?)
Old 10th October 2011, 19:34   #3207
BHPian

re to my last post which is still to show up - I just read vb-sans comment to someone else saying " Ignore the MID reading (on FE) for a while, and enjoy the car. Try beating Ninja's record in completing 1K kms ".

I've done 800km on the car - all of it in city driving. I am headed into a ~2000Km trip to Devlali and back in a few days - it'll help me do the money-maths if I know which number to look at to calculate the FE.
Old 10th October 2011, 22:51   #3208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandbangalore View Post
re to my last post which is still to show up - I just read vb-sans comment to someone else saying " Ignore the MID reading (on FE) for a while, and enjoy the car. Try beating Ninja's record in completing 1K kms ".

I've done 800km on the car - all of it in city driving. I am headed into a ~2000Km trip to Devlali and back in a few days - it'll help me do the money-maths if I know which number to look at to calculate the FE.
Don't look at the instantaneous or the average FE on MID 1 - turn on the MID 2 (through the toggle button on the right stalk) , reset it just prior to beginning your trip and check the average FE on MID 2 at the end of your trip. MID 1 average FE resets the moment your car keys are out of slot for more than 2 hours , MID 2 stays on for quite a few weeks ( I think for months) . Have a safe drive !
souravc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2011, 23:04   #3209
Senior - BHPian

Anandbangalore- In addition to what souravc said, MID 1 reports the instantaneous FE and hence will keep fluctuating depending on the driving conditions. Take your foot off the accelerator, coast downhill, instantaneous FE will cross even 100 kmpl, there is nothing wrong in the logic, It works the same way in every other car.
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2011, 23:20   #3210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Take your foot off the accelerator, coast downhill, instantaneous FE will cross even 100 kmpl, there is nothing wrong in the logic, It works the same way in every other car.
Bala , in my car the max is 85 kmpl - has VW shortchanged my pleasure by 15 kmpl and deprived me of the 3 fig magic
Can you please confirm ?

BTW MID 1 has both instantaneous ( the one that fluctuates ) as well as average FE , the MID 2 also has both - the only difference between the 2 is in the way data gets reset / wiped out after a fixed time interval

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks