Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2011, 20:51   #3151
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-imag0390.jpg
Went to the VW yard near electronics city in bangalore today. It was quite a sight looking at so many Vento's, some Polo and few Jetta's. All trendline diesel cars were with JK tyres, and Highline with Apollo. My SE gave me a heart attack initially saying that my car had JK tyres. In a way it was good I dropped everything else and rushed to the stockyard. Since their PDI had not been completed the speedometer showed some TR 69 or something, and the music system/reverse sensor/remote lock etc were not activated. Thanks to the festival over the week, expecting to take the car by Friday or Saturday.
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-imag0398.jpg
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-imag0401.jpg
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-imag0402.jpg

Thanks to Wildon got to know the car was manufactured on 9th September.
prabhuferrari is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 21:32   #3152
Senior - BHPian

It seems the service is reasonable. *K is really fine for 15k Kms. So for I don't have a Vento. I was serious fro Polo and then landed with Ritz as it was ready to deliver and Polo was 6 months waiting. Now seriously planning for Vento. Suggestions please.

Rock,
Nice of you for updating news of vento and also giving the reference of Car deko.Let me also browse and see. I may change my mind after seeing the articles. Let me see Honda city too.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 3rd October 2011 at 21:56. Reason: merging posts
Old 3rd October 2011, 21:54   #3153
Senior - BHPian

With all due respect Sir..the Honda City & Vento TDI are like an apple & an orange. It is either or !! Once you get the taste of torque - you will not miss the high revs !! Just my opinion.

Cheers
Old 3rd October 2011, 22:47   #3154
Senior - BHPian

Many congratulations prabhuferrari. Dont forget to get the speed sensing auto lock activated too before delivery.

Looking forward to reading your experience, have a pleasant ownership experience with your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
. Since their PDI had not been completed the speedometer showed some TR 69 or something, and the music system/reverse sensor/remote lock etc were not activated.
Old 4th October 2011, 06:39   #3155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80
Many congratulations prabhuferrari. Dont forget to get the speed sensing auto lock activated too before delivery.

Looking forward to reading your experience, have a pleasant ownership experience with your car.
Thank you Bala. Will definitely get this, boot lock etc activated.
Old 4th October 2011, 11:30   #3156
Distinguished - BHPian

Is VW gearing to facelift the Vento?

The B+ and C segment has witnessed a lot of action in the recent months. First came the SX4 diesel followed by a string of launches such as the fluidic Verna, Ford Fiesta and the recent one the Nissan Sunny. After the hatchback segment, this segment was bound to receive the lime light as people who had bought the hatchbacks would soon look for an upgrade.
With the rise in the number of launches and existing players offering huge discounts on their respective models, VW is not going to fold its hands. Our good pals at Motorbeam have snapped up what could possibly be a facelifted, production ready Vento for the Indian market.
Please note that recently VW has quietly sent a better equipped version of the Highline variant to its dealers without notifying the automotive press.
But this test mule has some visual treats that are completely different from the existing Vento. Chief of the list is the smoked headlamps which are clearly visible in the spy pic. Current Vento’s headlamps come with crystal clear surrounds. The front bumper and the grill is drenched in white camouflage hinting that there is something cooking there as well. Is Volkswagen working to differentiate the Polo and Vento front-ends?
Further details are hard to come by.
We suspect that facelifting the Vento is a knee jerk reaction to the recent sightings of face lifted Honda City – the chief rival of the Vento. Honda India will soon come with a facelifted Honda City with some minor upgrades. The recent price cut on the Honda City has managed to send jitters down the spine of VW because the City managed to outsell every other car in its segment. In such a scenario, VW needs to claw back some of its market share soon.
This will be the first time a car manufacturer has facelifted a model after about a year from its launch. While manufacturers have retired cars immediately after facelifting (Verna and previous gen Accord), we have not yet seen yearly revisions.

Cheers!

Volkswagen Vento facelift snapped up near Mumbai
Old 4th October 2011, 11:36   #3157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
asking around if VW sells this as an accessory since it smells so divine
Yes VW sells it as accessory. Its 500 INR for the whole bottle( i guess 400 ml). Or, they charge according to the amount we fill it in the service.
I spent those 500 INR in a 3M polish
Old 4th October 2011, 12:16   #3158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Honda City – the chief rival of the Vento.
Are these autoblogs that ignorant of the monthly sales?

The Fluidic Verna has been kicking every C-segment sedan's **s month after month and yet they make such a statement.

Even the Vento dealers make such a statement that the City is the main competitor even after knowing that majority of the vento sales are of the diesel which the City doesn't even have one.
Old 4th October 2011, 16:27   #3159
Senior - BHPian

Came back yesterday from a weekend trip.
The total distance covered was close to 500Km.

I generally make it a point not to rev beyond 3000 RPM before 5K kms.
But what the hell. The roads begged for more & more. I hit 160 on the odo. The RPM was around 3500. That is still 1000 less than the max power point. Imagine the reserve still there. Even at 120 with a tap in the throttle it can pin you back. At 150 it still pulls. Awesome!
Then I tried driving like an amateur. I shortshifted to 5th at 40 and put the foot down. I changed a few infos on the MID. Then looked at the speedo. It was doing 45. The Tacho was hardly mooving. I believe it took a staggering 10-15 agonizing seconds to reach 60 after which the acceleration improved. At 80.. wooohaaaa. The magic begins. So there is a turbo lag that can be pretty annoying. But VW has selected perfect gear ratios and that is why I never felt it during the entire course of driving. In 2nd and 3rd gear, the lag is almost negligible. It just takes seconds to spool the turbo up.
But to be practical nobody shifts to 5th at 40. Not even while cruising. So why care.

The handling had been spot on. Sudden lane change had no uneasiness. Body roll was hardly felt. The ride was good. No unnecessary bumpiness. But there is always a firm edge to the suspension. In extremely broken patches maybe the softer suspension could help. I could have managed better in these areas with my Palio. But that would take a toll on the handling specially body roll. IMO this setup is perfect.

Like I said before the only issue I found was the stopping distance to be a bit more.
Also screeching tyres without ABS kicking in (no pulsation felt) was a bit of a setback.

For those looking for trivial things, we got 16 with a heavy foot. (Highway with 100% AC) And 21 on the sane road with a moderate foot.

At 160 the tyre noise & road noise combined is a bit of bother. I never drove at 160 before.
It is impossible to drive this car with windows rolled down. The engine noise is too much of a bother.
Old 4th October 2011, 16:35   #3160
Senior - BHPian

I suspect if they had spotted the export version with smoked headlamps and all. It was mentioned already in this thread before.

Noopster can shed some more light into this if true.
Old 4th October 2011, 17:15   #3161
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Maybe. Or maybe not. The VW folks are being most mysterious. What I heard is that there were a number of suggestions for customised accessory packs at various price points and that included semi-smoked headlamps as well (not the fully smoked lamps on the Euro/ZA spec). But rumourmongering is pointless- better wait and watch (look what happened on the Rapid/Lauretta/MissionL?/back to Rapid thread )
Old 4th October 2011, 17:19   #3162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Isn't that smell (of the fluid in the windscreen washer) amazing? It permeates the cabin when the windscreen is washed in "Fresh" mode. I had it topped up (well...about 30 ml anyway) during my monsoon check and am asking around if VW sells this as an accessory since it smells so divine
yes, it is a very nice smell. I asked the SE who helped us and he says it is car shampoo. A cap full of it for one top up of the windshield washer fluid. He did not know the name of the shampoo but it definitely smells like the Wurth car shampoo so I might give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
I suspect if they had spotted the export version with smoked headlamps and all. It was mentioned already in this thread before.
Going by the user's manual I suppose the export version of the polo sedan already gets a whole lot more features. As noopster mentioned, it would be a good idea to give the customer a lot of choice when customizing the car and not stick to three varients.

Last edited by plain.vanilla : 4th October 2011 at 17:43.
Old 4th October 2011, 20:39   #3163
Senior - BHPian

On the hindsight, why would VW test something that has only cosmetic upgrades such as "smoked headlamps" unless there is a change under the hood. Defies logic, isnt it?

But then, you never know what VW is upto. LOL!
Old 4th October 2011, 21:09   #3164
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Are these autoblogs that ignorant of the monthly sales?

The Fluidic Verna has been kicking every C-segment sedan's **s month after month and yet they make such a statement.

Even the Vento dealers make such a statement that the City is the main competitor even after knowing that majority of the vento sales are of the diesel which the City doesn't even have one.
Honda City – the chief rival of the Vento.

Ninja, I think it’s quite a correct statement

No disputing the sales charts, but in this segment, if someone is looking for a car just as a medium to commute (which forms majority of the buyers); they go for the good looking and feature rich Verna. But if I am someone who like to drive, the thought process heavily oscillate between the likes of Vento and City (even if it’s a petrol only option). The new Fiesta could have been there if they have matched the overall package to the shock pricing.
Old 5th October 2011, 14:00   #3165
BHPian

Is there a possiblity that someone had personally done all those cosmetic changes (ie. Smoke the headlamps and paint the grill white?) I have seen numerous examples where either of these have been done on different cars (most commonly on swift)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks