Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2011, 09:50   #3136
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Sourav, Bala and oxyzen,

Thanks for the inputs. Guess the best(?) strategy will be to buy additional set of tyres, and change it to the stock ones whenever car is going for service to avoid warranty getting void
Old 3rd October 2011, 12:30   #3137
Senior - BHPian

Getting sunfilm is not going to void your warranty. So go ahead. Also, it makes sense to just go for a quick check-up at the dealership before such a long trip. Shouldnt take more than 20-30min just to check all oils etc are at proper level.

NH4 is plain awesome except a few small stretches where some flyover/bypass is being built. But you will thoroughly enjoy your drive !
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 13:13   #3138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandbangalore View Post

## I plan on installing sunfilm. I figured I'd play it safe with a 50% tint. QUESTION: The dealer wouldn’t void warranty would he (or should be) if I get this done from 3rd party (I was going to use the 3M guys in HSR, Bangalore)? I was especially concerned that in the chance I have a breakdown of any sort out of Bangalore or Karnataka for that matter, the dealer in that state shouldn’t bump me off for parts under warranty only because I got the car filmed from a non-volkswagen dealer.

## With just 650KM on the engine, is it a safe bet to get the car of this kind on the highway? I'm looking at driving about 3000+KM in 2 weeks (lot of stopping).
You can put Sunfilm outside it won't void the warranty. Saturday only I put for my car after 6 months. I went with 3M CS - 20, It was costing me Rs 3,700.
- Very good sun solar energy rejection, You feel good A/C in the car.

Regarding running the car, It's advised earlier in this forum that till 1500 kms maintain below 2500 RPM. But it's not an easy with Vento, you will get tempted to rev up.
TopSpeeder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 13:13   #3139
Senior - BHPian

Technically they cannot void the warranty if you upgrade within 15 inch as long as you are within the tolerance level. You are changing only the width of the tyre, keeping aspect ratio and overall diameter the same and hence I dont think so there should be any issues. This will however not help filling up the wheel arches better.

Upsizing is a different story though and there are enough reasons for the warranty to be void by the manufacturer since you are tinkering with the standard specifications. Even if they void the warranty it should only be of the suspension and related components and not the other parts of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Well, the reason I didn't go for a change of stock immediately was that I wanted to do at least 15 k before breaking the warranty -
Edit - Anandbangalore - Absolutely no problem with the sun-films or the highway trip. Since the odo reads 650 kms, just keep varying the RPM during the drive, in other words, dont keep cruising at a constant speed for a considerable length of time. If you are looking at general pre-cautions to take before a long drive,check the following thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ong-drive.html

This should answer any questions you may have.

Last edited by bala80 : 3rd October 2011 at 13:22.
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 14:23   #3140
BHPian

Thanks all! I'm off to 3M to get the film thrown on.
Old 3rd October 2011, 16:12   #3141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post

Regarding running the car, It's advised earlier in this forum that till 1500 kms maintain below 2500 RPM.
Is the 1500kms a tried & tested limit for run-in period? I have read somewhere on the forum the limit to be 5k, at other places people have quoted that the engines come "run-in".

Need clarity - my Vento's reaching 1500 (currently 1100+) - haven't been pushing her beyond 85-90 (trust me, it's a pain to keep doing so!)

(Vento owners) What is the general limit kept (by you) for run-in periods?
Old 3rd October 2011, 17:57   #3142
Senior - BHPian

There isnt a definite answer to this, however I would suggest the first 1000 kms for run-in. You can take it a little easy for the next 500 kms and have a blast thereafter!

Its the RPM's that matter and not the speed. So, even during the run-in period you can safely exceed this 85-90 kmph without any issues as long as the RPM is below 2500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Need clarity - my Vento's reaching 1500 (currently 1100+) - haven't been pushing her beyond 85-90 (trust me, it's a pain to keep doing so!)

(Vento owners) What is the general limit kept (by you) for run-in periods?
Old 3rd October 2011, 18:30   #3143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Sourav, Bala and oxyzen,

Thanks for the inputs. Guess the best(?) strategy will be to buy additional set of tyres, and change it to the stock ones whenever car is going for service to avoid warranty getting void
If you have the garage space , thats the best strategy
First ensure that you do not get JKs
Old 3rd October 2011, 18:59   #3144
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ With due respect, how on earth do you intend keeping the RPM below 1500 rpm for 1000+ km? Isn't that lugging the engine and likely to damage it even more?
As far as I know, you need to expose the engine to a range of RPMs without going too high (I didn't cross 3500 rpm but mine's a petrol) and you should be fine. PLease check threads on running-in of engines for a more technical answer.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 20:08   #3145
BHPian

Hey all, just noticed that the headlights on my Vento are not leveled. The left one is higher than the right. Any idea if there is an easy way to rectify it without a visit to the service center? I would like to avoid the 50 km drive to the service center if possible.

Also, it looks like the car came with shampoo in the windshield wiper fluid. Smells like the Wurth car shampoo I use. I get the smell whenever I spray the fluid to clean the windshield.

Last edited by plain.vanilla : 3rd October 2011 at 20:12.
Old 3rd October 2011, 20:12   #3146
Distinguished - BHPian

^^That is not a defect. The right headlamp is likely to point straight into oncoming driver's line of vision and hence is aimed slightly lower.

Isn't that smell (of the fluid in the windscreen washer) amazing? It permeates the cabin when the windscreen is washed in "Fresh" mode. I had it topped up (well...about 30 ml anyway) during my monsoon check and am asking around if VW sells this as an accessory since it smells so divine

Last edited by noopster : 3rd October 2011 at 20:14.
Old 3rd October 2011, 20:14   #3147
BHPian

^^ Of all the brands I have driven that is a first for me. German engineering maybe but I would prefer them level.

Last edited by plain.vanilla : 3rd October 2011 at 20:18.
Old 3rd October 2011, 20:24   #3148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
^^ With due respect, how on earth do you intend keeping the RPM below 1500 rpm for 1000+ km? Isn't that lugging the engine and likely to damage it even more?
As far as I know, you need to expose the engine to a range of RPMs without going too high (I didn't cross 3500 rpm but mine's a petrol) and you should be fine. PLease check threads on running-in of engines for a more technical answer.
Are you replying to me or Bala?

Btw you got me wrong - I am nearing 1500kms (currently around 1150) which you mistook for rpm.

@bala - that's the modus I have been following, although at a few occasions I did touch 3k (RPM).
Well I'm glad my "run-in" period is coming to an end!
Old 3rd October 2011, 20:28   #3149
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like I got BOTH of you wrong . Blame it on Monday!

2500 rpm is very reasonable.

-->1500 km already? DUDE! Wasn't like it like 900 when we met yesterday?
Old 3rd October 2011, 20:34   #3150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Looks like I got BOTH of you wrong . Blame it on Monday!

2500 rpm is very reasonable.

-->1500 km already? DUDE! Wasn't like it like 900 when we met yesterday?
Haha - no, yesterday had already crossed 1k before coming to the meet
1500 still afar - maybe by the weekend?
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks