Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2011, 15:35   #1906
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Friends the coolant level in my dad's Vento TDi HL is at minimum level, so I went to the workshop of KSM Motors Navi Mumbai. Over there, the chief technical person(in his mid 20's) tells me on inspecting the car that it is OK.
I told him that the coolant should be at max level at most, on which he starts giving me the composition of the coolant(45% coolant & 55% water) and tells me to just add mineral water(bisleri water) to the coolant. I was like is he serious. I left the place nodding my head as to what he is saying is correct.
I have yet not put anything into the coolant bottle. What do you guys suggest?? Do let me know, will be going on a long drive this weekend dont want to fry the TDi engine.
Old 14th April 2011, 15:40   #1907
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the information guys.
If its 30K, then its closer to the dual DIN touch screen systems offered by Pioneer and Kenwood. The screen sizes would also be bigger for these audio systems. So would the price really then give any advantage over the systems offered by Pioneer or Kenwood?
Old 14th April 2011, 16:15   #1908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
I have yet not put anything into the coolant bottle. What do you guys suggest?? Do let me know, will be going on a long drive this weekend dont want to fry the TDi engine.
Please refer the Vento owner's manual. It would have the recommended brands of fluids (engine oil, transmission oil, coolant etc) & the quantity of that fluid used in the car. Pick a can of premixed coolant (if you are weary of mixing water in coolant) from nearby bunk or any shop. Premixed coolant is ready to use type, you need not mix any water with it. Pour it in the coolant reservoir till the max level. Drive the car, keep a close watch on the coolant level for the next couple of days. If it stays there, then nothing to worry. You can go on your long drive without any hassles. However if you see a drop in the level, look out for any drops of coolant on the parking floor. If you don't find any, then it could be a serious issue of the engine gulping the coolant (very rare possibility though, however cannot be ruled out).
Old 14th April 2011, 16:28   #1909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Friends the coolant level in my dad's Vento TDi HL is at minimum level, so I went to the workshop of KSM Motors Navi Mumbai. Over there, the chief technical person(in his mid 20's) tells me on inspecting the car that it is OK.
I told him that the coolant should be at max level at most, on which he starts giving me the composition of the coolant(45% coolant & 55% water) and tells me to just add mineral water(bisleri water) to the coolant. I was like is he serious. I left the place nodding my head as to what he is saying is correct.
Was the coolant level low at the point of delivery?
if no then:-
1) There can be leakege. Look out for drops after you move your car out of the garage in the morning.
2) Coolant consumption: Sounds bad really bad. A rare case as well. Mainly due to head gasket failure. I dont think it will be the case.

Dont put mineral water and drive. How do you know only the water is depleted and putting mineral water will bring back the 45:55 ratio. Chief technical person in mid 20s? I am sure he had only a handful of experience before. And as far as the advice to put mineral water instead of coolant, he deserved a slap right in the face. I suggest get it filled with 45:55 ratio of collant and water to top it up before going for a long drive.
Old 14th April 2011, 17:48   #1910
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I faced the same situation recently. Went to the service station and got the same response. Got it filled free of charge
Old 14th April 2011, 18:16   #1911
Senior - BHPian

Thanks AutoIndian, oxyzen & naveen.raju for your replies.
Well the car ain't leaking any coolant for sure. There isn't any drop of coolant on the parking floor. I'm 100% sure that the coolant itself was less filled up from the factory(Chakan).
Naveen sir, you too faced the same situation, so the person at the workshop filled the coolant bottle with coolant or normal water, please elaborate.
Old 14th April 2011, 20:55   #1912
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks AutoIndian, oxyzen & naveen.raju for your replies.
Well the car ain't leaking any coolant for sure. There isn't any drop of coolant on the parking floor. I'm 100% sure that the coolant itself was less filled up from the factory(Chakan).
Naveen sir, you too faced the same situation, so the person at the workshop filled the coolant bottle with coolant or normal water, please elaborate.
They filled with coolant only. They said that there's nothing to worry. Just keep an eye out and see if this happens again.
Old 14th April 2011, 22:19   #1913
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Naveen sir for your input. Will surely goto the workshop this weekend and teach the fellow chief technician one or two lesson and get coolant filled for free.
Friends what is the tyre pressure you guys are having in your Vento's? It seems VW is the only manufacturer which has different pressure levels for different weight(read passengers & luggage).
Currently I have filled 30 front and 32 rear(nitrogen in all 5 tyre's). But it seems the car is now pulling towards the left. Earlier the factory filled air was more so during that time there wasn't any left drifting. It seems because of wrong tyre pressure car is pulling towards the left. Friends please recommend me correct tyre pressure which I would rectify asap.
Old 15th April 2011, 09:54   #1914
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Naveen sir for your input. Will surely goto the workshop this weekend and teach the fellow chief technician one or two lesson and get coolant filled for free.
Friends what is the tyre pressure you guys are having in your Vento's? It seems VW is the only manufacturer which has different pressure levels for different weight(read passengers & luggage).
Currently I have filled 30 front and 32 rear(nitrogen in all 5 tyre's). But it seems the car is now pulling towards the left. Earlier the factory filled air was more so during that time there wasn't any left drifting. It seems because of wrong tyre pressure car is pulling towards the left. Friends please recommend me correct tyre pressure which I would rectify asap.
I use 30 on all tires. Did you get the car's wheel alignment and balancing done? Since these new cars come out without doing these, it's recommended to check them once you take delivery of the car. I got my car's alignment done as soon as I got them from the showroom. Always recommended to perform these every 5k kms. BTW, how many kms did your car clock till now? My car touched 9k.
Old 15th April 2011, 11:01   #1915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As Naveen rightly said, please get the wheel alignment of your car checked asap. But before that please do a simple test. Inflate both the front tyres with equal pressure (eg 30 psi in both). Take your car to a plain straight road. Drive it at a steady speed in top gear. Slowly lift both the hands from the steering wheel & observe if the car is still drifting towards any of the sides. If yes, then surely it is due to wheel misalignment, if not then earlier drifting could have been due to pressure difference.
Old 15th April 2011, 12:25   #1916
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Will surely goto the workshop this weekend and teach the fellow chief technician one or two lesson and get coolant filled for free.
But it seems the car is now pulling towards the left. Earlier the factory filled air was more so during that time there wasn't any left drifting. It seems because of wrong tyre pressure car is pulling towards the left. Friends please recommend me correct tyre pressure which I would rectify asap.
1) Coolant level being close to min is actually not an issue if it is not dropping further. The Coolant to water ratio issue does not matter in a premixed coolant and that is what i would recommend. On the road if you do find coolant level has dropped there will be no issue in adding normal water and continuing on. The 45-55 ration is overrated and a +- 10% won't matter too much. But to avoid that just fill a premix. Level should ideally be just below the max.

2) Not just VW but almost all manufacturers specific a different pressure for tyres depending on who much the car is loaded. And that is the correct way to go. I you mostly drive alone then keep it close to the unloaded pressure level. If going with full family and bags for an outstation trip keep it close to the fullly loaded level. If you keep the car at this level all the time then it will bounce around when in town and driving alone.

3) Tyre pressure if equal in both L & R tyres will NOT cause the car to pull to any side. It will happen only if there is a allignment issue or if the tyres on L&R on any of the axels had different pressures.
Old 15th April 2011, 14:03   #1917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
I faced the same situation recently. Went to the service station and got the same response. Got it filled free of charge
I am very surprised to hear many people talking about coolant level at min in almost brand new cars. VW should not dispatch cars like that from factory and dealers should check this during PDI. Coolant at min level and first service at 15km's can possibly lead to serious engine damage.

Imagine this, an average joe (non-bhpian), who never opens the bonnet of his car, keeps driving the car for 15k km's before going to VW service centre. In Indian summers, 15k km's of running and coolant already at min! Assuming no leakage, some water from coolant mix will still evaporate during these 15k km's usage, no?

Last edited by amit1234singla : 15th April 2011 at 14:12. Reason: Rephrasing
Old 15th April 2011, 14:36   #1918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
Thanks Subodh. But I think it would be easier if we could procure it locally. If I cant do it, then I will look at other options. Is this unit manufactured VW? Did the guy whom you purchased this unit gave you any warranty? I am just hoping that it not some Chinese make? Sorry but just wanted to check this as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Thanks for the information guys.
If its 30K, then its closer to the dual DIN touch screen systems offered by Pioneer and Kenwood. The screen sizes would also be bigger for these audio systems. So would the price really then give any advantage over the systems offered by Pioneer or Kenwood?
@ Windsurfer: its not manufactured by vw and its a chinese make i think but there is a 1 year warranty on the product and the build quality also looks pretty strong. I am pretty sure you will be able to find something locally. If you are not, i am just a call away.

@srishiva: The screen size is one of the biggest i have seen on this system. The advantage you get in this system is you get a factory fit finish wthout having to resort to packaging of any sort. secondly, it also gives a reverse camera in to the system which as per my knowledge, pioneer and kenwood do not offer. Thirdly, it also integrates kind of like a blue and me technology where in you can connect your phone to the system through phone and make calls, receive calls seamlessly. Last but not the least, it integrates in the car so nicely with all the dash colors etc that it feels like it is an OEM part of the car. Looks wise it is same as the ICE given in the IPL edition given by VW.
Old 15th April 2011, 14:45   #1919
Distinguished - BHPian

To add to what Subodh said, there are good systems out there like the Caska or JVC AVX 836 but they all something missing (the JVC lacks GPS, for example, both lack reverse camera) and the packing required to make it fit the Vento gives it a non OEM feel. Plus Subodh tells me when you start the car it flashes a Welcome to VW sign that is the icing on the cake! Am veering towards this HU for this reason mostly!
Old 15th April 2011, 15:29   #1920
BHPian

If they are indeed manufactured in China, it's almost certain that they are made by Witson; I see too many similarities both in looks and features (VW welcome screen, reverse sensors, phone controls, etc.). If it comes with a 1yr Warranty for under 30K, it's certainly a good deal IMO.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks