Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2011, 11:52   #1876
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

^^Not just the gearbox, the wiper and light stalks too are in similar direction to Vento on the Linea. Don't worry you will get used to it. Vento is worth it just for its terrific engine over the Linea.
Old 8th April 2011, 08:43   #1877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikon View Post
Guys, I got a Vento TDI last week.
Loving the car every moment.
Will start a initial ownership report soon.

I feel the clutch is really hard and it tough to operate it. I've developed some kind of pain in my left foot too !!! . Is it the case with all the Vento diesels?
A diesel clutch will always be heavy and require a complete depress unlike a petrol, just a matter of time you will get used to it.
Old 8th April 2011, 14:40   #1878
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A diesel clutch will always be heavy and require a complete depress...
Neither is true of my Swift. It is not heavy, and there is nothing to it that feels any different to any petrol-car I have driven.
Old 8th April 2011, 19:07   #1879
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Neither is true of my Swift. It is not heavy, and there is nothing to it that feels any different to any petrol-car I have driven.
+1, I have a diesel fusion and i have driven many petrol fusions, Also i have a petrol Fiesta and have driven numerous Diesel Fiesta.

I have found both of them to be very similar, if not 100% same. I actually found the diesel fusion clutch pedal to be lighter than the petrol one.
Old 8th April 2011, 19:21   #1880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
"Normal" is relative, you go to Europe and most of the cars there have light controls on the opposite side, as fas as the gears are concerned, FIAT also have similar gearbox. Its just a matter of getting used to it. Go ahead buy it, you wont regret the decision, this is my word!
@shantanu, If you go to Europe I guess the steering wheel itself would be on the wrong side!

Anyway what about the different issues faced by Vento owners,like the grinding noise from the clutch and wheel bearings, stereo complaints, remote malfunctioning, paint peeling etc,etc( the list keeps growing).
Old 8th April 2011, 20:24   #1881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suv100 View Post
@shantanu, If you go to Europe I guess the steering wheel itself would be on the wrong side!

Anyway what about the different issues faced by Vento owners,like the grinding noise from the clutch and wheel bearings, stereo complaints, remote malfunctioning, paint peeling etc,etc( the list keeps growing).
I said Normal is "relative". The steering is on the wrong side for you, for them its on the correct side, and vice versa is true as well. so its a matter of getting used to it. Also I am sure if you drive a ford (Ikon), you must have also got used to "abnormal" controls

Cars are not perfect, nothing is perfect (stealing these lines from Steve Jobs), the good part is VW Customer care and after sales service is very prompt in rectifying any issues. I havent faced any issues in my Vento till date, and I have clocked 5000 KM in less than a month. No upgrades, did Bangalore Goa on an extended weekend, with 5 ppl on board and no issues as well. So I would still swear by the Vento.

-I havent experienced any paint peeling problems
-When the remote malfunctioned, the A.S.S. also offered to replace it free of cost as well
-No complaints on the stereo, though the OEM music system could have been better, I would again say that this is not a deal breaker

So you see all these problems have a solution, and you cannot generalize these problems that the list is growing, because (touch wood) I havent faced them till now.

Last edited by evilshantanu : 8th April 2011 at 20:25.
Old 8th April 2011, 20:42   #1882
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I had faced grinding noise from the front discs and remote malfunctioning. But both resolved free of cost. No other issues faced.

As for the hard clutch, I dont think this is true. My friend's got a Petrol Vento and I feel it to be the same although the performance is dearly missed in the petrol variant.
Old 8th April 2011, 21:45   #1883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I agree that there has been a lot of reliability issues in Vento as well as polo. But new cars may have problems and gradually they get sorted. Still I dont expect reliability of the likes of Honda/Toyota from any German manufacturer.

But there are stuffs that the japanese counterparts can't provide. Lets start with diesel engines. Then the ride & handling. And most importantly built quality. Japanese manufacturers used featherlike sheet metals. No wonder they extract good performance and descent FE but I would like to travel in a tank (Linea/Octavia). It is a safety feature that goes highly un-noticed.

So my point is this is an open market. You can choose whatever you want. Whatever fits you well. All have pros and cons.

However reliability is such a problem that can be very easily handled (to some extent) with good after sales support. And that is what I believe VW will do based on the initial response.
Old 9th April 2011, 00:31   #1884
BHPian

Some update on the Vento IPL edition. My sales manager previously told me that I could get the multimedia system from the IPL edition on my Highline. So was keeping up with the guy in-charge of accessories at Orion Motors in Hyderabad.

Today got a call from him that the IPL packs are in the workshop and will go to display by tomorrow. So went to the workshop to check them out. Couldn't test them out in a car but they seemed good at first glance. Similar to Witson in pictures but better in build quality. The workshop received three sets all together. One for the display at showroom, the other for the Deccan Chargers game and final one on sale. So requested my sales manager if I can get that last piece. Guess what my wonderful sales manager replies!! He says this system doesn't fit in Highline. I was like shocked and tried to get a more elaborate response but he kept on bluffing it won't fit and VW ordered it only for Trendline models. Upon that, I have to buy the whole IPL pack, which includes junk to my taste, for Rs. 25000. I was so pissed off that I hung up on him and spoke to the in-charge at the workshop and the accessories guy. They both reasoned that this preposterous decision was just to keep the Trendline petrol models in demand and once the IPL is mid way or done completely, these packs will be left in stock unsold and I can buy them easily. Will be heading to the showroom tomorrow to check them in action and will snap pics this time around. Damn! VW.. We pay a lakh more and we get junk compared to Trendline models. I wish we can bug the region manager about this whole thing.
Old 9th April 2011, 01:01   #1885
BHPian

Well here is one pic from the VW website.

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-music_system.jpg

The only reason I want to go for this instead of Witson is for warranty.
Old 9th April 2011, 10:30   #1886
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic86 View Post
I was surprised to see this in the newspaper ad. VW should give this atleast as an optional accessory for Highline.
Old 9th April 2011, 11:57   #1887
BHPian

The SatNav system (RNS 510?) fits into existing slot. It's only a matter of time before this system is available in Vento's optional accessories list. It's a "must add" accessory... (RIP, Honda City!)

Quote:

Attachment 528752
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-ventohighline_musicsystem_default_09apr2011.jpg  

Last edited by msprabhakar : 9th April 2011 at 12:02.
Old 9th April 2011, 12:28   #1888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
The clutch will definitely feel hard during the initial phase. It will slowly get better over the time.
What do you mean? Clutch will become soft or we will strengthen our muscles and get used to it?
Quote:
Thanks naveen for your reply. I am interested in buying the vento but since I drive two 'normal' cars frequently I am afraid I might face some confusion with the gears and indicator/light controls. But sadly there are no other options in this price range other than the Linea.
There is nothing like normal or abnormal.. You will get used to it in a day..
Old 9th April 2011, 13:19   #1889
BHPian

Quote:
Some update on the Vento IPL edition. My sales manager previously told me that I could get the multimedia system from the IPL edition on my Highline. So was keeping up with the guy in-charge of accessories at Orion Motors in Hyderabad.

Today got a call from him that the IPL packs are in the workshop and will go to display by tomorrow. So went to the workshop to check them out. Couldn't test them out in a car but they seemed good at first glance. Similar to Witson in pictures but better in build quality. The workshop received three sets all together. One for the display at showroom, the other for the Deccan Chargers game and final one on sale. So requested my sales manager if I can get that last piece. Guess what my wonderful sales manager replies!! He says this system doesn't fit in Highline. I was like shocked and tried to get a more elaborate response but he kept on bluffing it won't fit and VW ordered it only for Trendline models. Upon that, I have to buy the whole IPL pack, which includes junk to my taste, for Rs. 25000. I was so pissed off that I hung up on him and spoke to the in-charge at the workshop and the accessories guy. They both reasoned that this preposterous decision was just to keep the Trendline petrol models in demand and once the IPL is mid way or done completely, these packs will be left in stock unsold and I can buy them easily. Will be heading to the showroom tomorrow to check them in action and will snap pics this time around. Damn! VW.. We pay a lakh more and we get junk compared to Trendline models. I wish we can bug the region manager about this whole thing.
Thanks, @classic86. Are you saying that the Whole IPL pack is available for purchase at 25k? - I was under the impression that this 25K is a discounted price specifically meant for the IPL edition in order to clear the TL petrol inventory. If so, even after disregarding the junk, it appears to be a great VFM deal to me. Compare this with the Witson HU, which costs more than 20K. For less than 5K more, you get a system under warranty plus leatherite seats.
Old 9th April 2011, 22:41   #1890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sith_lord View Post
Thanks, @classic86. Are you saying that the Whole IPL pack is available for purchase at 25k? - I was under the impression that this 25K is a discounted price specifically meant for the IPL edition in order to clear the TL petrol inventory. If so, even after disregarding the junk, it appears to be a great VFM deal to me. Compare this with the Witson HU, which costs more than 20K. For less than 5K more, you get a system under warranty plus leatherite seats.
Hmmm this 25000 is a discounted price instead of 40000 or so.. And yes it's just to clear the TL petrol versions as of now..But the issue I had is that we can't buy this pack for HL at either 25000 or 40000 as of now.. However, the accessories guy said once the IPL gets done, there might be unsold inventories and VW might be forced to sell the music system for 25000 or so since thats the only interesting thing in the pack.. Or VW might also sell the whole pack for 40000 to screw us then.. So lot of uncertainties but I'm trying to pressure the heads around here.. There is a VW meeting in 2 weeks.. I convinced few of the workshop and accessories guys to picture a huge demand from HL customers for the music system. Hope this tactic works..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks