Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2016, 13:43   #901
BHPian

Re: Refreshed Toyota Etios spotted on test

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchari View Post
What is the typical mileage of Etios? I was considering it, but got a bit turned off by the taxi image in the last year or so.

I wonder if it will affect the facelift too?
Diesel wise, I get about 18 in the city, and near 21 on highway.. again, I am a sedate driver. In the city, I over-inflate by 2 points, since the roads I drive on are pretty bad, and on highways its recommended pressure.

As far as image goes.. if you live in Bangalore, you see everything as a taxi. I once saw a Rolls in a "The mobile store" livery . Gave up on everything after that. Put me off my lunch, it did.
Sridutt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2016, 14:44   #902
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridutt View Post
Interestingly, I found the center mounted meter a blessing.. at 6ft, I had problems in most cars.. even throwing in steering adjustment and seat height adjustment.. sometimes the posture was not right, sometimes the steering wheel angle wasn't. But with the center mount, I can see it in my peripheral vision.

Although I agree that its pretty different from the usual position.
Spot on with that. I tried adjusting the steering tilt on a Ford Fiesta and in no position would it be comfortable without blocking the speedo. The 2 biggest advantages for the center console are

It makes the steering tilt a feature for improving the ergonomics rather than improving the visibility of the speedo.
Even when you look at the center speedo, you will get some vision of the roads.

Everything about the Etios is about practicality,
  • whether it's the center console, or
  • whether it's the placement of the AC vents or
  • whether it's the dual arm mono wiper or
  • whether it's the amount of cabin and boot space or
  • whether it's the placement of the AC vents
  • whether it's the safety, braking power or dependability or
  • whether it's the shape of the torque curve in both Petrol and Diesels
  • whether it's the maintenance cost.

What it lacks are the bells and whistles. But, it's a fundamentally strong car. No wonder why it won the JD Power dependability award consecutively for 2 years on a trot ( 2015 and 2016 ).

Last edited by amalji : 10th August 2016 at 14:46.
amalji is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 09:11   #903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Spot on with that. I tried adjusting the steering tilt on a Ford Fiesta and in no position would it be comfortable without blocking the speedo. The 2 biggest advantages for the center console are

It makes the steering tilt a feature for improving the ergonomics rather than improving the visibility of the speedo.
Even when you look at the center speedo, you will get some vision of the roads.
Yes, agreed, the ability to see the road while just glancing at the speed is pretty useful. Especially in India, when goats, hens, bus passengers, tractors, buses etc. can suddenly appear on highways. The dividers are a blessing - the bushes that are grown on the median -but a threat too - especially if a village is close by.

Quote:

Everything about the Etios is about practicality
  • whether it's the center console - Yes, pretty useful

• whether it's the placement of the AC vents - I thought this would be weird while I was buying the car, but the vents are pretty effective. I now wonder how cars with square vents or like the ones in the XUV function - are they equally effective?

• whether it's the dual arm mono wiper - oh this was an eye opener for sure. Last year I drove back almost 4 hours in pouring rain from Goa to Bangalore. I was worried about how effective this would be. Interestingly I saw other cars parked by the side due to the crazy rain, but I could comfortably drive through because of the humongous sweep of the wiper - absolutely no issues.

• whether it's the amount of cabin and boot space - when I took my family out for the first trip, I told them "Pack whatever you want to, whether you think you'll need it or not". They did, and the icing was that after putting everything into the boot, my dad said "This thing has so much space!" - believe me, buying it was worth every penny just for that. We had an 800 earlier - you can guess how much we could pack for 5 people.

• whether it's the placement of the AC vents - Yep - the center over-under style ensures that even the middle passenger gets cooled - usually the middle passenger is forgotten in other cars when it comes to the AC

• whether it's the safety, braking power or dependability - Yes and yes. After I bought the Etios, my dad upgraded to a Ritz. And now I get worried whenever he asks me to drive to Mysore - the highway is fast, and I am never very sure about the braking distance.. on the Etios you're pretty sure - brake, and the anchors will stop you well before a panic.

• whether it's the shape of the torque curve in both Petrol and Diesels - this is simply fantastic. Just press gently, and if you're in the right band, absolutely no fuss. None. Zero. You pass ahead. That's all.

• whether it's the maintenance cost - wifey says it's cheaper to service the car than the Activa. Says all.
Sridutt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 15:04   #904
BHPian

Quote:
  • whether it's the maintenance cost - wifey says it's cheaper to service the car than the Activa. Says all.
I'm curious, how much does a regular service cost? What is the availability of the spares like outside the Service Centres?
sibot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 15:42   #905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibot View Post
I'm curious, how much does a regular service cost? What is the availability of the spares like outside the Service Centres?
Regular service cost would be around 3500 INR to 4000 INR per 10,000 kms / 1 year except when you change the brake pads. Brake pad replacement will cost you another 2200 INR.

The below pictures represents my maintenance done till now. The regular replacement intervals are really long!

Spares are available only from Toyota dealerships. But, when you get such long replacement interval spares at such a cheap price, why bother with duplicate parts from outside ?

Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review-screen-shot-20160811-3.35.50-pm.png
Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review-screen-shot-20160811-3.36.23-pm.png
Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review-screen-shot-20160811-3.36.41-pm.png
amalji is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 15:50   #906
Senior - BHPian

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ed-402698.aspx

Updated Etios revealed in Brazil!
Old 11th August 2016, 15:52   #907
BHPian

Quote:
Well, Amalji above has said it all. In fact, I used his review to finalize, and to be honest, its way low. Or at least low enough to not get worried about an upcoming service. The max I have paid was slightly above 4k. I know a few folks who have other cars and complain about being broke after the servicing.

The lowest paid service came to something near (but below) 3k. At a 10,000 kms service interval, even 5k would be Rs. 0.50 per km. If you drive even normally, you get an average of about 18 Kmpl. That translates to an estimate of Rs. 3.20 per kilometer traveled (with diesel assumed at Rs. 58/liter, and an average of 18 Kmpl). Throw in the maintenance, it comes to less than Rs. 4 per Km, driving.

Spares prices are pretty okay, comparable to say a Maruti sort of cost. And like Amalji said, you don't really bother with spares cost in the showroom itself, since you spend so little on the car.

Last edited by Sridutt : 11th August 2016 at 15:54.
Sridutt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 17:10   #908
Senior - BHPian

Gallery of the to be launched Etios/Liva Platinum.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-gal...ry-402696.aspx
Old 11th August 2016, 18:16   #909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Gallery of the to be launched Etios/Liva Platinum.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-gal...ry-402696.aspx
The most significant changes for me.
  • Arm rest for the driver seat.
  • Finally, an aesthetic speedo.
  • Cruise control. Would be very handy for the long highway drives ( except in Kerala ). I had longed for this feature after every long drive through the highways of Karnataka, Andhra and TN.
  • The automatic gearbox ( another welcome change for city driving. ) My parents were not buying any other automatic because they were ready to wait for Toyota to come up with an automatic. So, if India gets it, we might replace our Liva Diesel with the Etios automatic.
The other changes for me atleast are just cosmetic and doesn't really matter.

Last edited by amalji : 11th August 2016 at 18:18.
Old 11th August 2016, 23:08   #910
BHPian

Quote:
Regular service cost would be around 3500 INR to 4000 INR per 10,000 kms / 1 year except when you change the brake pads. Brake pad replacement will cost you another 2200 INR.

The below pictures represents my maintenance done till now. The regular replacement intervals are really long!

Spares are available only from Toyota dealerships. But, when you get such long replacement interval spares at such a cheap price, why bother with duplicate parts from outside ?
Thank you for this wonderful breakdown. I must commend the effort you've undertaken to catalog your car's service history. I'm pleased to see that the service cost is very economical. It would make sense to go in for original components if you're saving so much otherwise. Currently I take my Old Honda City 2003 for service every 5,000 kms, so the Etios' 10k service interval is a welcome change.

Thank you again.
Quote:
Well, Amalji above has said it all. In fact, I used his review to finalize, and to be honest, its way low. Or at least low enough to not get worried about an upcoming service. The max I have paid was slightly above 4k. I know a few folks who have other cars and complain about being broke after the servicing.

The lowest paid service came to something near (but below) 3k. At a 10,000 kms service interval, even 5k would be Rs. 0.50 per km. If you drive even normally, you get an average of about 18 Kmpl. That translates to an estimate of Rs. 3.20 per kilometer traveled (with diesel assumed at Rs. 58/liter, and an average of 18 Kmpl). Throw in the maintenance, it comes to less than Rs. 4 per Km, driving.

Spares prices are pretty okay, comparable to say a Maruti sort of cost. And like Amalji said, you don't really bother with spares cost in the showroom itself, since you spend so little on the car.
Thanks for the break down! We're particularly interested in the petrol variant. I'm always afraid of high service cost of vehicles. We will be in the market for a new car soon and one major factor is the service cost. I shriek when I hear about how the service costs 8-10k for some cars.
sibot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 05:56   #911
Senior - BHPian

There are three unique factors that result in the lowest service costs for any Toyota compared to any other make:
1. Inherent build quality
2. Long life consumables - the engine coolant for example can go for ten years
3. Toyota service dealers being trained to NOT rip off customers - I was told not to bother with the synthetic oil that DSK Toyota in Pune also sells, mineral is perfectly adequate. Recently I was told that considering my lowish running and service history, there was no need for me to buy extended warranty. No other dealer behaves like this.
Old 12th August 2016, 07:18   #912
BHPian

Quote:
We're particularly interested in the petrol variant. I'm always afraid of high service cost of vehicles. We will be in the market for a new car soon and one major factor is the service cost.
Lovely! You will enjoy the petrol version. I have heard that its great fun to drive - both in the city and on the highway. Do take a test ride, would love to read your POV comparing it against your existing car.

And like Sawyer says below, the best part with Toyota, after buying and during ownership is the servicing - they tell you its pointless when you ask them about a pointless modification. They don't try to scalp you (think Activa "Teflon Coating", or Maruti "Break shoe has to be changed")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
There are three unique factors that result in the lowest service costs for any Toyota compared to any other make:
1. Inherent build quality
2. Long life consumables - the engine coolant for example can go for ten years
3. Toyota service dealers being trained to NOT rip off customers - I was told not to bother with the synthetic oil that DSK Toyota in Pune also sells, mineral is perfectly adequate. Recently I was told that considering my lowish running and service history, there was no need for me to buy extended warranty. No other dealer behaves like this.
Agreed. The experience during servicing - from how service center staff talk to how they behave, to their suggestions? That forms a large part of your perception of brand and quality. Toyota does a spectacular job to start with, and tops it off with courteous service as well.
Old 12th August 2016, 07:38   #913
Senior - BHPian

With Etios it's never going to be love at first sight, it's one car that one learns to love due to it's endearing qualities and Toyota brand! I some how get the feeling that an Etios resembles the Logan in more ways than one. I'm waiting for the Etios Platinum to launch and will definitely have a look at it when I need to go in for my next car. It'll be a petrol.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 20:16   #914
Distinguished - BHPian

We have a Petrol Etios in the family. From the first batch of cars immediately after launch. Just crossed the milestone of 100,000 km few days back (5.5 years). Although there was talk of light build and cost cutting, like a typical Toyota, it has been a totally fuss free ownership experience. No major issues and service costs have all been reasonable.The car has also aged pretty well.

Family members find it supremely comfortable and spacious. Driven mostly by a driver. I have also driven it a lot and typically enjoy driving it. It has most of the needed functionalities and the 4 Star NCAP rating was a pleasant surprise.

Recently, we replaced one of our cars with an Ecosport Automatic. Although the initial plan was to replace the Etios, the sheer practicality and peaceful ownership experience resulted in the Etios being retained and the other car-A Brio being replaced.

Expect to continue to retain it for quite some time more.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 2nd September 2016 at 20:17.
Rajeevraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 18:10   #915
BHPian

The ETIOS was due for a Make Over & finally it's coming this month !!

Sharing a picture :
Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review-etios-new.jpg
(Source : CarBlogIndia)

A YouTube video showing the face lifted Etios & Liva :

What has Toyota done ? I mean w.r.t. the Bumpers of the New ETIOS. The front bumper looks horribly ugly and aftermarket to me & the rear bumper seems to look a little more elongated than the ones on the previous generations.

Sadly the digital display is not being offered for the Indian Market. Though the change in the Instrument cluster is a welcoming one; the Bolero like RPM does not excite me at all.

As correctly mentioned by BHPian Amalji, the driver's armrest is a good addition. So is the Infotainment system. The current generation ETIOS seriously required the Rear Parking Camera as it has a tapering rear and can get tricky occasionally while parking unlike other vehicles in the segment. I presume the face lifted one will have one which is indeed pleasing to see.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks