Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2014, 09:46   #796
BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios "Cross"ing over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Etios was petty much built for India. This will stay! I think they extended this to many other markets primarily because it was a flop in India. If Toyota has dedicated a full year to focus on Etios twins and have delayed all other projects, you can imagine how serious they are about this vehicle.
Very true. Etios was made for India and Brazil -- basically emerging markets. It seems to be quite successful in Brazil. Not so much in India. Hope that changes with the "Cross". Incidentally, its not only Toyota that's looking at emerging markets. Honda introduced its i-Dtec engine primarily to boost its sagging sales in India and look at what it has achieved! Etios had a "taxi" tag from the very beginning, which deterred many individual buyers. The Cross, with its stance will miss the taxi tag I suppose, helping individuals to pick up the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr_1445 View Post
, This does look a lot better(Although I don't like the bumpers & other parts in black). I agree about the "game changer" part only if Toyota did something serious about the interiors.
The interiors of the new Etios are top-notch. At least, it looks so with grey-black design. Some other changes have also been incorporated, like height adjustable seats, height adjustable head rest, etc. The centre console looks better with blue, though the centre console itself is yet to be whole-heartedly accepted in India.

Last edited by subratasenn : 7th January 2014 at 09:47.
subratasenn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 17:47   #797
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios "Cross"ing over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
Very true. Etios was made for India and Brazil -- basically emerging markets. It seems to be quite successful in Brazil. Not so much in India. Hope that changes with the "Cross". Incidentally, its not only Toyota that's looking at emerging markets. Honda introduced its i-Dtec engine primarily to boost its sagging sales in India and look at what it has achieved!
All Toyotas have a boring and neutral design. They design a car inside out. They decide on what is needed ( utility-wise ) and then design the car. Aesthetics always takes the back seat for Toyota ( It might change from 2014 onwards going by what the market demands ). for eg:-, if a sporty design is going to decrease a glass area or reduce the headroom, they will go against it. Similarly, they don't flood the car with gadgets. Even a Prius is very minimal considering the price it is sold at. What it stands for its ultra high reliability and practicality.

And it's not just Brazil, Etios is a hit in South Africa as well. Even in November 2013 sales in SA, Etios was the number 2 best seller just behind Toyota Hilux. These markets are more mature and understands what a Toyota is ( regardless of how good it looks ).

Quote:
Etios had a "taxi" tag from the very beginning, which deterred many individual buyers. The Cross, with its stance will miss the taxi tag I suppose, helping individuals to pick up the vehicle.
Yes, the Taxi market is starting to adore the Etios. There are several Etios Taxis already in Kochi CIAL Airport. 100 more new additions are on its way. I feel good about it for 2 reason.
  1. It acknowledges the utility and reliability of the vehicle
  2. Better resale and easy selling possibilities ( since, taxi owner drivers will be on the lookout for Etios ) especially considering the low maintenance cost for vehicles that have even covered more than 2.5 lakh kms !
Quote:
The interiors of the new Etios are top-notch. At least, it looks so with grey-black design. Some other changes have also been incorporated, like height adjustable seats, height adjustable head rest, etc.
People who look for interiors as a style statement, will still find something missing. But, it's fantastically ergonomic, and practical.

Quote:
The centre console looks better with blue, though the centre console itself is yet to be whole-heartedly accepted in India.
I have started loving the centre console for one reason - the ability to use the steering tilt to my convenience without bothering about blocking the view of the speedo. The design has a lot of scope for improvement though. This was one area, Toyota could have easily fixed without incurring much extra expenditure.
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 19:09   #798
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review

Toyota India introduced the Etios & Etios Liva refresh models earlier today.

The Etios Liva refresh includes two new high-end grades, VD and VD (Safety Package) for the Etios Liva Diesel, which come with new features such as front fog lamps, chrome grille, 12-spoke alloys, chrome garnish on the rear, turn indicators on the ORVMs, a 2-Din Audio Head Unit with Bluetooth/USB/Aux–IN and remote, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, a chrome gear knob, tilt function for the steering wheel and audio controls, tachometer, faux-wood finish, rear wiper/defogger and dual front SRS airbags.

In addition, the G & GD grades of the Etios Liva receive two-tone premium interiors with a stylish textured dashboard, soft fabric and ash-brown color, seen previously only the G (SP) and the GD (SP) variants and above. The same interior changes have been incorporated in the Etios sedan as well.

The Etios Liva refresh is now in the price range of Rs. 4,53,681/- to Rs. 7,12,000/-, while the Etios sedan refresh is now in the price range of Rs. 5,53,601/- to Rs. 8,30,190/-, ex-showroom Delhi.

SOURCE - http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ia-369296.aspx

Last edited by RavenAvi : 10th January 2014 at 19:15.
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 09:51   #799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

In addition, the G & GD grades of the Etios Liva receive two-tone premium interiors with a stylish textured dashboard, soft fabric and ash-brown color, seen previously only the G (SP) and the GD (SP) variants and above. The same interior changes have been incorporated in the Etios sedan as well.

The Etios Liva refresh is now in the price range of Rs. 4,53,681/- to Rs. 7,12,000/-, while the Etios sedan refresh is now in the price range of Rs. 5,53,601/- to Rs. 8,30,190/-, ex-showroom Delhi.
These changes comes after the high demand for the limited Etios xclusive models that were introduced few months earlier. The xclusive models were basically G/GD versions sporting two-tone interiors, Bluetooth audio system, rear parking sensors and chrome accented shift knob, all for addition of extra Rs.6k to the showroom price. Looking at this Toyota could have introduced some more features in the refreshed editions of G/GD versions for the price hike that is quite apparent.
Apple Master is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 19:17   #800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
For a change, Toyota has advertised this in all major newspapers in Kolkata today. This is rare, as I have hardly seen Toyota coming up with Press ads. And the ad says: "A great car begins with great interiors". It's a good move, as Toyota in India is a miser when it comes to publicity as compared to Honda, Maruti-Suzuki and other cars.

Finally, Toyota has finally woken up to the customers' demand for better looking interiors in Etios twins and has even advertised it!

The only thing I find still missing is electrically adjustable OVRMs, which has become a necessity in tight city traffic conditions.
subratasenn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 15:36   #801
Distinguished - BHPian

Next-gen Toyota Etios to get better styling.

The new Etios will come with a completely new ‘top hat’ and will bear little resemblance to the robust but boxy shape of the current model. The new Etios, expected in mid-2015, is also looking at other body styles on the Etios.

A compact SUV is under consideration, but it is just a thought now.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ng-373218.aspx
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 10:39   #802
Senior - BHPian

I test drove the etios yesterday and liked it.
When discussing costs the sales person said that there were no offers this month due to the strike. Last month they had about 20000rs off. Hope the strike draws to a close and I can negotiate a little. Stocks are also running low apparently.
Old 14th April 2014, 10:56   #803
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone highlight the practical differences between the g sp and the v so petrol models. Is the music system different.
1. Alloy wheels. Not too much of an issue for me
2. Fog lamps. Will need to fix them
3. Steering audio controls and Bluetooth. Can live without it
4. Wood panel finish on door armrests. Can skip that.
5. Rear defogger. Will miss this on some drives.

Any other major differences
Old 14th April 2014, 13:06   #804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Can anyone highlight the practical differences between the g sp and the v so petrol models. Any other major differences
G SP doesn't have Tachometer and ORVMs don't have turn indicators.

The Music system is the same with 2 DIN Pioneer HU. Only V will have bluetooth facility.
Old 15th April 2014, 07:56   #805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Master View Post
G SP doesn't have Tachometer and ORVMs don't have turn indicators.

The Music system is the same with 2 DIN Pioneer HU. Only V will have bluetooth facility.
Thanks. Didn't know about the tacho. The turn indicators are not on my priority list, but people say that it helps bikers avoid overtaking with these blinking.
Now to convince myself that the extra money is worth / not worth the upgrade from gsp to vsp.
Old 15th April 2014, 09:53   #806
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Didn't know about the tacho. The turn indicators are not on my priority list, but people say that it helps bikers avoid overtaking with these blinking.
Now to convince myself that the extra money is worth / not worth the upgrade from gsp to vsp.
Before booking your choice talk to the dealer about the delivery period. Hope you are aware that there is a strike going on in Toyota Bangalore production plant. There is a long waiting period for those who have already ordered one to two months back. Came to know about this yesterday from my Service Manager in Kolkata. Take a informed decision.
Old 15th April 2014, 11:01   #807
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone highlight the practical differences between the g sp and the v so petrol models. Is the music system different.

Any other major differences
Flat bottom steering as well?
Old 16th April 2014, 21:54   #808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Master View Post
Before booking your choice talk to the dealer about the delivery period. Hope you are aware that there is a strike going on in Toyota Bangalore production plant.
I am aware of the strike and the delays. I am trying to see what stock is presently available to make the decision
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Flat bottom steering as well?
Certainly looked and felt cool in the test drive car I tried!
Old 18th April 2014, 15:14   #809
BHPian

My 2013 Toyota Etios G ‘Xclusive’

Check out the very first Team BHP ownership report on the New Toyota Etios at this link:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...e-edition.html

Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review-cover-pic-50.jpg

Do share your views on this new edition.
Old 24th April 2014, 16:46   #810
Senior - BHPian

Is it possible to get a reverse camera with display in the rear view mirror fitted on the etios. The showroom only gave the option of having a standing display on the dashboard.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks