Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2012, 18:14   #706
BHPian

Guys any updates on the deals /discounts available on the Etios petrol base model, in Delhi NCR nowadays..

Any pointers would be appreciated.
Old 15th July 2012, 22:58   #707
BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
Hi amateurpro, what F.E are you getting out of your Etios nowadays, curious to know since I might opt for an Etios or a Liva,not yet decided between petrol or diesel.

Thanks.
I usually get around 11 kmpl in city and 15 kmpl in highway. I haven't checked mileage regularly after crossing 10K kms. At last check, it returned a mileage of closer to 12 kmpl in city for the first time. I hope it is not an aberration.

You will not go wrong either with a Etios (Petrol) or Etios (diesel). The petrol engine in the sedan is awesome and the diesel one is reportedly very good. In case you are looking at Liva, you could possibly consider the diesel one as you get the same Etios engine. You could possibly test drive all the three and take a call based on what your heart wants.
amateurpro is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 14:08   #708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateurpro View Post
I usually get around 11 kmpl in city and 15 kmpl in highway. I haven't checked mileage regularly after crossing 10K kms. At last check, it returned a mileage of closer to 12 kmpl in city for the first time. I hope it is not an aberration.

You will not go wrong either with a Etios (Petrol) or Etios (diesel). The petrol engine in the sedan is awesome and the diesel one is reportedly very good. In case you are looking at Liva, you could possibly consider the diesel one as you get the same Etios engine. You could possibly test drive all the three and take a call based on what your heart wants.
The city mileage sounds ok for me, but the highway mileage is a bit lower than expected. Could it be due to a combination of the shorter gearing and the long stroke engine (more efficient at low revs than a short stroke engine) ?

I am a borderline case with about 800 km per month but on a very tight budget, let me check it out by August since nkrishnap promised some more updates.

Thanks!

Last edited by indivic : 16th July 2012 at 14:17.
Old 17th July 2012, 09:45   #709
BHPian

Quote:
The city mileage sounds ok for me, but the highway mileage is a bit lower than expected. Could it be due to a combination of the shorter gearing and the long stroke engine (more efficient at low revs than a short stroke engine) ?

I am a borderline case with about 800 km per month but on a very tight budget, let me check it out by August since nkrishnap promised some more updates.

Thanks!
I have not done any long highway trips (>300 kms) recently to clearly say if the mileage has improved beyond 15 kmpl. My shorter highway trips made me feel so but you should decide based on the feedback from someone who had done a 500 km trip or so recently. My earlier 500 + trip gave me only 15kmpl when the vehicle was around 3 months in October 2011.

If you buy a diesel version now (and assuming the fuel prices stay the same way in future), you would take more than 6 years to recover the additional investment on diesel engine through savings on fuel. You should also consider the fact that Etios 1.5 litre petrol is one of the most awesome engines. But if you think you will start driving more in future (say 1200 to 1500 km per month), diesel offers the best value-for-money.

The shorter gear ratio in Etios could be a limiting factor for highway mileage. This car sure needs a 6th gear.
Old 18th July 2012, 17:44   #710
BHPian

Quote:
If you buy a diesel version now (and assuming the fuel prices stay the same way in future), you would take more than 6 years to recover the additional investment on diesel engine through savings on fuel. You should also consider the fact that Etios 1.5 litre petrol is one of the most awesome engines. But if you think you will start driving more in future (say 1200 to 1500 km per month), diesel offers the best value-for-money.
My monthly run of 800km already figures in a daily round trip of 38km to and fro to my office. In the future if I would have to shift from Sholinganallur to Siruseri or Mahindra City, I am definitely going to use public transport.

Quote:
The shorter gear ratio in Etios could be a limiting factor for highway mileage. This car sure needs a 6th gear.
I wish Toyota would rework the gear ratios a bit considering how tractable the engine is. My highway trips usually are about 600-800 km and therefore it wont hurt to have a more mileage on the highway runs.
Old 24th July 2012, 18:24   #711
BHPian

The horn in both Etios and Liva are of no use.
One can't even scare away cyclists from your path with that puny ,single tone horn. Will it void the warranty if I replace the horn?? Because, when i asked the personnel at Toyota to change my horn with a powerful one during the time of delivery, they told that it would void the warranty!
I'm really worried about this because, this horn wont be of any use during the highway trips!

and, by the way, any suggestions on what horn to choose??
Old 27th July 2012, 10:57   #712
BHPian

Toyota to start engine and gearbox production in India for Etios from next month (August 2012)

Sources:

Toyota to Begin Production at its Engine Plant in Bangalore from Next Month | MotorBash.com

Toyota Engine plant in Bangalore to begin production next month - The Economic Times

Its only for petrol engines. Diesel will still be imported from Japan.
I think it should lead to cost advantage of around Rs. 50000 on petrol models.

My Speculation: May be Toyota will launch the Etios and Liva with upgraded interiors keeping the price same.
Old 27th July 2012, 14:09   #713
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
The horn in both Etios and Liva are of no use.
One can't even scare away cyclists from your path with that puny ,single tone horn. Will it void the warranty if I replace the horn?? Because, when i asked the personnel at Toyota to change my horn with a powerful one during the time of delivery, they told that it would void the warranty!
I'm really worried about this because, this horn wont be of any use during the highway trips!

and, by the way, any suggestions on what horn to choose??
Hi Saadat,

you can opt the for the Bosch air horns (something similar to the Skoda/VW horn) or Hella red grill horns depending on your requirement. The have the wiring ready to handle the twin horns and connect it as coupler to the existing horn power sockets.
Old 27th July 2012, 17:08   #714
BHPian

Oh, yeah even I was planning on installing Bosch Windtone or Hella Twin Trumpet horns. But, do we require any cutout change? Also, people say that if water gets inside the Windtone horns, it'll stop working? Is it true??
By the way, which horn do you use for your Liva??
Old 22nd August 2012, 04:20   #715
BHPian

Just came across this. What are the guys at the Toyota design team smoking?

SOURCE: GOW Exclusive: Toyota Etios gets beige interiors |
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review-toyotaetiosbiegeinteriors1600x450.jpg  

Old 22nd August 2012, 07:34   #716
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav667
Just came across this. What are the guys at the Toyota design team smoking?

SOURCE: GOW Exclusive: Toyota Etios gets beige interiors |
Looks a lot better than the boring/ cheap looking grey they initially came out with. The dark grey introduced recently looked better though.

Not to forget- Indians prefer beige interiors. Should help increase the numbers.
Old 22nd August 2012, 09:51   #717
Distinguished - BHPian

That is not the factory version of the beige. This beige version is done by the dealers who charge anywhere between 20-25K for the job. This beige is too light and not sure if Toyota would go ahead with this.

What the next refresh would be is to match the export version which definitely has better quality interiors than the ones offered here.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 11:20   #718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
That is not the factory version of the beige. This beige version is done by the dealers who charge anywhere between 20-25K for the job. This beige is too light and not sure if Toyota would go ahead with this.

What the next refresh would be is to match the export version which definitely has better quality interiors than the ones offered here.
Phew! Thanks for that update, I was wondering if I did a mistake in not going ahead with the current version when I looked at the pics first.

Is the next refresh going to be anytime soon ?
Old 22nd August 2012, 11:25   #719
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Phew! Thanks for that update, I was wondering if I did a mistake in not going ahead with the current version when I looked at the pics first.

Is the next refresh going to be anytime soon ?
I am not too sure about when the next update is due. The person whom I extract information has been sent to Thailand for some training. He will be here next week.

I will check and revert by then.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 11:44   #720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post

Absolutely true. These are not the new interiors. They are done at dealer end for those customers who request them. Dealers charge about 30 to 40 K (here in Indore) depending on the options chosen. I had inquired about these when I was looking at Etios as an option. Not only beige, you can opt for entire black or entire grey and as such many other color combinations.

This practice is going on from early 2012 (about April). I have seen many Etios and Liva with these beige interiors.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks