Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2011, 17:21   #556
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateurpro View Post
Should I use 2nd gear more (3rd gear was an excellent city gear for my old Estilo) for city driving because the tacho reading is so low in my car at 3rd gear?
If you use second gear more, then more fuel will be consumed. I for one, dont look at the rpm levels while driving. I rather focus whether the car can pull at that gear without jerks; if not shift down appropriately irrespective of rpms.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2011, 20:54   #557
BHPian

Quote:
But I find to my surprise that at low RPMs, my car runs very fast. My car once touched a peak of 110 kmph when the rpm read just 3000 at 5th gear. So, in most city conditions, when I could drive only between 30 - 40 kmph, my tacho reads between 1 - 1.5 k at 3rd gear. The car feels very comfortable even at low rpms and so I continue driving between 30 and 40 kmph speeds at 3rd gear. Should I use 2nd gear more (3rd gear was an excellent city gear for my old Estilo) for city driving because the tacho reading is so low in my car at 3rd gear?
here's my two cents
Just make sure that it doesn't go below 1000rpm.If it does you will need to burn more fuel I guess.I experienced this a few times.Once the rpm goes below that 1100-1000 range the car just doesn't accelerate at all.I had to press the accelerator considerably(fuel loss) to bring that rpm above 1000.Only then you feel that power surge.1.1-1.5K is very OK IMHO.It's such a good city car.Pelt along in 3rd .

Last edited by fast&furious : 6th August 2011 at 20:56.
fast&furious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2011, 11:37   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heman_369 View Post
...I have hit a top speed of 160 on the Mumbai Pune Eway. But the pleasure zone i think is somewhere from 100-120.
I've been wanting to ask you about this for a while, somehow been missing out. Can you share more of your experiences at higher speeds? On my part, I do miss the 6th gear. But apart from this, the experience has been cool. The car has felt rock steady and road noise not too excessive. Still, I'm keen to know from you as I have not had the opportunity to do speeds higher than ~130 kmph.

When you are mentioning pleasure zone, can you share your observations on specific aspects like engine response, engine sound, ride quality, handling & stability, road noise, and any other significant aspects you might have noticed? Does the car feel like taking off as being low on weight? If yes, beyond what speeds? Shall appreciate your sharing.
Old 8th August 2011, 13:43   #559
BHPian

Quote:
I think the mileage you get seems to be one of the best. Is it so because you have completed 6500 kms? Can you please share the mileage figures you got initially in city and highways for the first 1000 kms or so. Just checking (Hoping) if the mileage figures would improve once I cross 1000 or 2000 kms.
For the first 2000 km FE hovered at 10-11 km in the city. My intially run was all in the city. On an average people have been reporting 12 kms in the city with AC ON.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post
I've been wanting to ask you about this for a while, somehow been missing out. Can you share more of your experiences at higher speeds? On my part, I do miss the 6th gear. But apart from this, the experience has been cool. The car has felt rock steady and road noise not too excessive. Still, I'm keen to know from you as I have not had the opportunity to do speeds higher than ~130 kmph.

When you are mentioning pleasure zone, can you share your observations on specific aspects like engine response, engine sound, ride quality, handling & stability, road noise, and any other significant aspects you might have noticed? Does the car feel like taking off as being low on weight? If yes, beyond what speeds? Shall appreciate your sharing.
Let me answer this question in 2 parts.

I frequently travel between Mumbai and Pune on the Eway. When i talk of pleasure zone, the most concerning aspect is definetly the road/tyre noise. Since the Eway is completely concretised the road/ tyre noise is significantly higher. I think even the OEM Goodyear tyres contribute to the road noise.

When i travel on good quality tar roads like the NH4 from Pune to Kolhapur, the road noise is very much within pleasant levels.

The handling, stability, and poise is excellent till 140. After 140 the light steering and kerb weight contributes a bit to uneasiness. Not too much though.

Riding at 100 -120 on 5th gear at 2800 RPM is like cruise control.
But as you said i have rarely seen my RPM crossing 3K mark. Hence sometimes we miss a 6th gear as it feels that the engine potential is not utilised completely as max torque is delivered at 3200 RPM
heman_369 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2011, 16:09   #560
BHPian

Quote:
For the first 2000 km FE hovered at 10-11 km in the city. My intially run was all in the city. On an average people have been reporting 12 kms in the city with AC ON.
Thanks. So there is definitely hope for mileage to improve for those of us yet to clock 2000 kms.
Old 8th August 2011, 19:56   #561
BHPian

Quote:
Since the Eway is completely concretised the road/ tyre noise is significantly higher. I think even the OEM Goodyear tyres contribute to the road noise.

When i travel on good quality tar roads like the NH4 from Pune to Kolhapur, the road noise is very much within pleasant levels.
On concrete roads, I want to take my ears off! I have stock Bridgestone Turanzas.

Quote:
Riding at 100 -120 on 5th gear at 2800 RPM is like cruise control.
But as you said i have rarely seen my RPM crossing 3K mark. Hence sometimes we miss a 6th gear as it feels that the engine potential is not utilised completely as max torque is delivered at 3200 RPM
Do you mean that a 6th gear would help one get closer to the 3000 rpm level of max torque in Etios? On the contrary, in the absence of 6th gear, one ends up crossing this level on higher speeds, where the torque starts tapering off.

I was referring to the need for 6th gear that would let one drive at a lower rpm on high speeds for better mileage and smoother engine performance. This would also help one stay within the increasing torque range on revv demand. Otherwise, I am quite happy with the linear torque delivery in Etios, adequate even at low rpms, and do not feel the need to consciously revv up hard to 3000 mark.
Old 9th August 2011, 00:00   #562
BHPian

Quote:
On the contrary, in the absence of 6th gear, one ends up crossing this level on higher speeds, where the torque starts tapering off.

I was referring to the need for 6th gear that would let one drive at a lower rpm on high speeds for better mileage and smoother engine performance. This would also help one stay within the increasing torque range on revv demand. Otherwise, I am quite happy with the linear torque delivery in Etios, adequate even at low rpms, and do not feel the need to consciously revv up hard to 3000 mark.
I think crossing the 3k mark wont be a problem as the total product continues to increase even after that.One can go way past that 3k if he/she is looking for more speed.A car is not at its maximum speed at the peak torque rpm.It's acceleration that you get with torque. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 9th August 2011, 09:55   #563
BHPian

Toyota is all set to get the diesel variants for the the etios and the liva by next month. Reports are that the twins will have the same 1.4 D4D which does its round on the Altis as well. Read it on zigwheels. If the liva comes with the 1.4, swift would have some real fierce competition IMO.

MODS - I did not see a dedicated thread or a similar post in the forums. Please merge/delete/split if required.
Old 9th August 2011, 11:07   #564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&furious View Post
I think crossing the 3k mark wont be a problem as the total product continues to increase even after that.One can go way past that 3k if he/she is looking for more speed.A car is not at its maximum speed at the peak torque rpm.It's acceleration that you get with torque. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
You're on target! There is no denying that you can do speeds that require going beyond the max torque threshold. In Etios, max torque is reached, IIRC, @ ~120 kmph and you certainly can go way beyond it. It's only the acceleration part you start to lose a bit. The comment on staying within this mark is from 'pleasure zone' perspective, as increasingly greater torque is available on the press of the pedal within this range. The consequent higher acceleration on tap gives more confidence in overtaking manouvres on the highway. I hope this clarifies.

Last edited by RadiantKarma : 9th August 2011 at 11:10.
Old 9th August 2011, 11:36   #565
BHPian

Quote:
You're on target! There is no denying that you can do speeds that require going beyond the max torque threshold. In Etios, max torque is reached, IIRC, @ ~120 kmph and you certainly can go way beyond it. It's only the acceleration part you start to lose a bit. The comment on staying within this mark is from 'pleasure zone' perspective, as increasingly greater torque is available on the press of the pedal within this range. The consequent higher acceleration on tap gives more confidence in overtaking manouvres on the highway. I hope this clarifies.
Yes, this definetly translates in better overtaking confidenece even at 120 km in 5th gear and doesnt require a downshift. But as far as pleasure zone is considered it is crossed afer 120 km taking into account road/ tyre noise and other factors
Old 9th August 2011, 12:28   #566
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah.Things are far more clear now.Torque is really useful for overtaking and you are right about that peak torque speed.I did a 120 a few weeks ago and the needle was a little above 3000.The pleasure zone is definitely around that 3k mark.And I feel that the engine doesn't like to go way past that 3k mark.It becomes a bit too loud at high rpms.Did you guys notice it?

FE update:Tested it yesterday and it was 13!13kmpl in city conditions is decent I guess.But I need to check once again to confirm.

Last edited by fast&furious : 9th August 2011 at 12:32. Reason: forgot to quote
Old 9th August 2011, 12:37   #567
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, this definetly translates in better overtaking confidenece even at 120 km in 5th gear and doesnt require a downshift. But as far as pleasure zone is considered it is crossed afer 120 km taking into account road/ tyre noise and other factors
Agreed. Thanks again for sharing your experience. I was just exploring the 'pleasure zone' perspective you threw up from torque/acceleration angle.
RadiantKarma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2011, 12:47   #568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&furious View Post
The pleasure zone is definitely around that 3k mark.And I feel that the engine doesn't like to go way past that 3k mark.It becomes a bit too loud at high rpms.Did you guys notice it?
Bang on target again, mate! This is what I was referring to when I mentioned...
Quote:
...the need for 6th gear that would let one drive at a lower rpm on high speeds for better mileage and smoother engine performance.

Quote:
FE update:Tested it yesterday and it was 13!13kmpl in city conditions is decent I guess.But I need to check once again to confirm
Surely decent! I don't think Trivandrum has roads where one gets to consistently zip around in 4th-5th gear.
Old 9th August 2011, 13:02   #569
BHPian

Quote:
Surely decent! I don't think Trivandrum has roads where one gets to consistently zip around in 4th-5th gear.
Ya right.And it was very crowded yesterday because 2 new wedding centres just began operation here.I could drive only in 2nd and 3rd.And still I got 13!That's why I said I need to check it again.
Old 9th August 2011, 23:55   #570
BHPian

This could be a digression but I felt like sharing this.

As I waited nearly 6 months for my Etios to arrive from the time of booking, I was also actively looking at other options to check if there was any car that could appeal better. Having decided petrol, the only other petrol cars that appealed to me were City and Jazz. City was slightly outside my budget though there was nothing wrong with it. Jazz would have fitted my budget but to pay so much for a hatchback was a tough call. Having said that, I must concede that Jazz was not just another hatch. The boot was large enough to qualify as a small sedan . Not just that, the car had awesome power and one of the best looks (I know looks could be subjective). Frankly, the market performance of Jazz should be much better than what it is. The low sales numbers of Jazz also dissuaded me from going for it. With a little price correction, Jazz could rock.

My biggest confusion came when there was a steep hike in petrol price a couple of months before I actually took the delivery of my Etios. For a week, I wondered if I should go for a good diesel option instead. I considered few models (sedans mainly) before a stunning hatchback caught my attention. While there are many good looking hatchback brands on the road, I dont find anything as stunning as the Nissan Micra. Even at the cost of sounding totally irrational, I have to admit that looks do play an important role in my purchase decisions. IMHO, I did not find any car as appealing as Micra. It is stunningly beautiful and very difficult to match for a long time to come. Just when I thought it was going to be Micra (Diesel), I soon realised that the highest trim in Micra (diesel) does not come with ABS. For a brand that offers airbags in its base variant, I cannot understand why they cannot offer ABS in their top end diesel version (ABS is offered in top end petrol though). Nissan would do well to offer ABS in its highest trim as more and more customers are expecting this from premium hatchbacks.

Even today, I cannot take my eyes off a Micra when I see one on road. She is a beauty.

Most Viewed