Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2011, 16:20   #451
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review

Hi,
A quick Q here - Does the T Etios 'G' come with Power Steering ?
The Toyota website with the specs chart is a little confusing. Going by that the TE- G doesn't come with PS. But other sites state that the TE- G comes with PS - and hence the Q !
Thanks.
Old 3rd May 2011, 16:22   #452
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi,
A quick Q here - Does the T Etios 'G' come with Power Steering ?
The Toyota website with the specs chart is a little confusing. Going by that the TE- G doesn't come with PS. But other sites state that the TE- G comes with PS - and hence the Q !
Thanks.
Yup definitely has power steering. The one below G doesn't have though.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2011, 16:38   #453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Yup definitely has power steering. The one below G doesn't have though.
Thanks Vidyut !
A neighbour who has the TE 'G' was quizzing me about the same and wanted me to give him a tutorial on the engine bay area - which I delayed till next Sunday as I had to go elsewhere.
What foxed me was that there was no PS oil reservoir or I couldn't find it when he asked me as to where to top up the PS oil.
Could you let me know where exactly is that PS oil reservoir located ? Or does it have a different system that doesn't require the PS oil top ups by ordinary mortals ?
Before next Sunday I need to be wiser on these points !
Thanks.
Old 3rd May 2011, 16:46   #454
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Thanks Vidyut !
What foxed me was that there was no PS oil reservoir or I couldn't find it when he asked me as to where to top up the PS oil.
Could you let me know where exactly is that PS oil reservoir located ? Or does it have a different system that doesn't require the PS oil top ups by ordinary mortals ?
Before next Sunday I need to be wiser on these points !
Thanks.
It's got electric power steering not hydraulic hence no PS oil or hydraulic pump. It's all electric behind the dash in a small box.
Old 3rd May 2011, 16:59   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
I do not mean any offence here to anyone, but this feeling of being left undecided is taking its toll on me cos I too am now wondering on whether I should go Q class or no? After all, I'm yet another Indian customer who's looking for VFM. But, this product I feel is merely banking on the TOYOTA BRAND than the quality itself, cos had HYUNDAI/MARUTI released a product like this, one could only imagine the height/depth of criticism it would have to take!
Choosing between a fully loaded B+ hatchback and an low-cost "compromise" economy sedan is becoming a serious dilemma for car buyers - just check out all the recent what car threads on t-bhp for some insights. If, over your planned ownership period, the 5th seat or the deep boot will not be too important a hatch will save you money both upfront and in fuel costs + you'll enjoy the feel-good factor of luxurious interiors, features etc.

Coming to the economy sedans - Etios is good choice for driving dynamics and highest in-class power & torque to weight ratio. I've owned an Etios V for only 2 days now, but it feels well built, drives really well and no rattles so far. The cost cutting is obvious in terms of missing features and basic interiors. Passenger's may find it so-so - but speaking from the driver's seat, the car feels terrific. Responsive, intuitive to drive, ergonomic controls, decent seating-comfort and position (seat height adjust is sorely missed), good-enough ICE set-up. Its a no-frills Sedan, which is fun-to-drive and provides most of the "must-haves" required from a modern car.

To my mind, Etios' competitors stack up as follows:
  1. Dzire: For: Maruti reliability and resale; Against: Dated, Crampled rear-seat (hardly better than the big-hatches), harsh rear-ride quality at speeds.
  2. Logan/Verito: For: Incredible VFM - top-end diesel is abt 7 lacs OTR; Against: Looks, Refinement, Ages faster than a Maruti or Toyota (IMHO), Only top-end diesel has airbags, that too only driver's-side
  3. Manza: For: Rich feature-list and interiors - equal to or better than most top-end hatches, D-segment like space, seating-comfort and ride quality. Against: Not so fun-to-drive (i.e. relative to Dzire/Etios), Tata's inconsistent quality

I guess unless you're willing to look at SX4 upwards (Rs. 8.5 lacs+ OTR for the loaded version), there is no "no compromise" Sedan out there.
gautam109 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 02:36   #456
BHPian

@gautam109 : a double-like on your honest opinion! Thanks mate.
Old 4th May 2011, 10:51   #457
BHPian

looks like the Etios will have problem of scraping when fully loaded. Saw one yesterday with rear suspension bottomed out only with luggage in the boot and no passenger in the rear seat.
Old 4th May 2011, 12:24   #458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
It's got electric power steering not hydraulic hence no PS oil or hydraulic pump. It's all electric behind the dash in a small box.
Thanks Vidyut. That understanding should help greatly. I have asked him to get me the owner's manual and see some of the facts/information for myself and then translate it for the owner !
Old 8th May 2011, 20:15   #459
BHPian

I got quite a few issues (FE & rattling) with my Etios. Is there anyone from Toyota who can help me?

You can find more details on the issue in my ownership thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...erience-9.html
Old 16th May 2011, 15:34   #460
Senior - BHPian

As per this article on Monycontrol.com, Toyota is going to resume normal operations at its plants from May 20 2011, and LIVA launch is as per schedule.

Toyota Kirloskar to resume normal operations from May 20 - Moneycontrol.com -
Old 20th May 2011, 12:28   #461
Senior - BHPian

The Etios G in our family has been rolling on roads since a couple of weeks. The review will come soon once through good observation.

The road-noise is a constant unwanted music to ears which also suppresses the music in the car due to the already known minimal dampening provisions in the car (and this inspite of Wurth thick AnitiRust underbody coating). I was contemplating a tyre change to offset the noise and since they are new, they would fetch good discounts. It came with Goodyear 175/65 R14. What would be better choice for Etios? Michelin XM1+ or Yokohama A-Drive connsidering the comfort and FE are priority?

The question may belong to the tyre thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...set-tyres.html, but posting here for Etios being car in question.

Last edited by parsh : 20th May 2011 at 12:40.
Old 7th June 2011, 10:32   #462
BHPian

@parsh,

Have been using Michelin XM1+ on my i10 for the last 2.5 years. Great handling and comfort on the high way-but certainly has not helped enhancing FE in anyway.
Old 7th June 2011, 13:08   #463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
The Etios G in our family has been rolling on roads since a couple of weeks. The review will come soon once through good observation.

The road-noise is a constant unwanted music to ears which also suppresses the music in the car due to the already known minimal dampening provisions in the car (and this inspite of Wurth thick AnitiRust underbody coating). I was contemplating a tyre change to offset the noise and since they are new, they would fetch good discounts. It came with Goodyear 175/65 R14. What would be better choice for Etios? Michelin XM1+ or Yokohama A-Drive connsidering the comfort and FE are priority?

The question may belong to the tyre thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...set-tyres.html, but posting here for Etios being car in question.
Goodyears are crappy tires. Get rid of them and go for Michelin XMI+ - they are very good for comfort and reduces the tire noise as well. About FE, I am not so sure ..there might be slight improvement but nothing noticeable.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2011, 08:49   #464
BHPian

@parsh,XM1+ may reduce road noise,it will not eliminate it.Etios's cabin insulation is poor,a tyre change may not help.How about 3M rubber coating and insulation sheets(remember reading about them in the forum).Anyway,Etios engine noise is quite sporty-my son loved it.He says during test drive he felt as if inside a Lamborghini
Old 13th June 2011, 11:28   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post

The noise level goes down significantly after 2000 km. By 4000 km, it will not bother you much. It may still be higher than cars in the same category.

What is the FE they are getting? Also, is there any rattling?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks