Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2013, 18:54   #1351
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
A small pointer required please.

Any idea how expensive the alloy wheel is? And will a regular sized tyre mounted on the alloy and then used as a spare, cause serious difficulties in the rear boot loading area?.
Well, we were looking to get the spare as an alloy. Tried fitting, but it jutted out hence the plan was scrapped. I am sorry, should have asked for the price as well.
Old 15th April 2013, 21:17   #1352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

Well, we were looking to get the spare as an alloy. Tried fitting, but it jutted out hence the plan was scrapped. I am sorry, should have asked for the price as well.
Did the tyre with the new alloy fit in the space provided for the tyre or did it just jut out too much over the dicky floor? I have a full size tyre now and getting it out is a bit of a hassle.

Is the rim diameter the reason for the go slow directive ?
Old 16th April 2013, 10:25   #1353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
Why not just get the wheels painted and ceramic coated. With ceramic coating, cost should be around Rs1500/wheel, Rs800-1000 without.

You can have alloy wheels of your colour choice at the cost of 1 new tyre and wouldn't have to wait.

Here's one original Vrs Alloy that was done last week in gunmetal grey.
That's a mighty fine job done by you mate! Hmmm.. Ceramic Coating? Could you elaborate the details of that. Now gotta search who does that locally because I think the finish that is showing in your picture is mainly because of the ceramic coating.
Old 16th April 2013, 10:40   #1354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
That's a mighty fine job done by you mate! Hmmm.. Ceramic Coating? Could you elaborate the details of that. Now gotta search who does that locally because I think the finish that is showing in your picture is mainly because of the ceramic coating.
Ceramic Coating is nothing but a ceramic clear coat , much tougher and less prone to scratches . Any good workshop will have "ceramic clear coat"as an option. Normally at New Mars Hyd, Prabhu applies 2 coats of normal clear and 2 coats of ceramic clear. This gives the depth as well.

The finish shown in the picture is not "true". This is because it was taken before the clear coat and also with only 2 coats of paint. Will post final look of alloys soon.
absynthguzzler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 08:41   #1355
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcrazy60 View Post
Did the tyre with the new alloy fit in the space provided for the tyre or did it just jut out too much over the dicky floor? I have a full size tyre now and getting it out is a bit of a hassle.
It jutted out too much. I am sorry, I don't have pictures to illustrate that.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2013, 08:18   #1356
BANNED

With the launch of the Polo 1.2 TSi DSG just round the corner. Do you think the same drivetrain could be made available with the Yeti as well? After all, it is offered abroad.

Maybe with the facelift towards the end of the year.....
Old 25th April 2013, 21:35   #1357

They didnt see fit to offer the 1.6TDI from rapid. So why should they bother with a 1.2TSI now? :-)

Last edited by shrek : 25th April 2013 at 21:43. Reason: reworded
Old 26th April 2013, 09:45   #1358
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrek View Post
They didnt see fit to offer the 1.6TDI from rapid. So why should they bother with a 1.2TSI now? :-)
They already offer the 2.0 TDI in 110 Bhp tune which offers exactly the same torque as the 1.6 and 4 bhp over the 1.6.
These two engines are pretty close, but the 2.0 has lower Turbo Lag(no replacement for displacement!!), it wouldn't make much sense to offer such similar drivetrains on such a low volume model.
Old 26th April 2013, 10:23   #1359

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
They already offer the 2.0 TDI in 110 Bhp tune which offers exactly the same torque as the 1.6 and 4 bhp over the 1.6.
These two engines are pretty close, but the 2.0 has lower Turbo Lag(no replacement for displacement!!), it wouldn't make much sense to offer such similar drivetrains on such a low volume model.
Sure Agambhandari - Spec wise.
I was thinking more along lines of cost of 1.6TDI vs 2.0TDI in India. And cost of spares - which is a significant deterrent for prospective skoda customers (again - in India!) which is why I feel volumes would have been much more respectable with the 1.6.
Old 26th April 2013, 12:17   #1360
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrek View Post
Sure Agambhandari - Spec wise.
I was thinking more along lines of cost of 1.6TDI vs 2.0TDI in India. And cost of spares - which is a significant deterrent for prospective skoda customers (again - in India!) which is why I feel volumes would have been much more respectable with the 1.6.
Many of the Skoda Spares are produced locally now and the prices have come down to a realistic level.
But I doubt how many will pay 15+ lakhs for a 1.6 TDi car.(That too Skoda)

(Although some people buy a Toyota 1.4 at the same price!)
Old 27th April 2013, 20:05   #1361
BHPian

I did almost 9K miles on my Yeti 4x2 by now. Had my 6 monthly check up done too.. should I be rotating tyres and balance them? I don't think Skoda recommends anything like this at this mileage. What are your thoughts?
Old 28th April 2013, 07:37   #1362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyboy View Post
I did almost 9K miles on my Yeti 4x2 by now. Had my 6 monthly check up done too.. should I be rotating tyres and balance them? I don't think Skoda recommends anything like this at this mileage. What are your thoughts?
It is always recommended to rotate your wheels, balance your tyres and align the wheels every 5000 kms.
This way the tyres will wear evenly and maximize their life in your hands.
I ve been religiously following this practice for all my cars all these years and it has stood me in good stead.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2013, 15:28   #1363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydave View Post
Stories like this really put a dampener on anyone considering a Skoda, despite all the attractive finance offers they seem to be coming out with to move stock.
An update concerning the Turbo Solenoid. I was abroad and could take the Yeti to the Service Centre only this Monday. Since my EGR cooler was repaired, I had noticed a difference in the engine noise, when I stepped outside but was not sure. At the service centre I listened to another Yeti idling and the difference was prominent and the Seervice Engineer said he would check it. He later came back to say that they were replacing the Solenoid but would charge me labour of 2000 plus. As regards the noise, he claimed it was from the flywheel and that they have written to Skoda.....

I am writing to all concerned in Skoda India... If any of the more technically minded in the forum can guide me, I would be very grateful...

Forgive the long post but I cut and paste my latest email to Skoda, below:

Date: 1 May 2013 15:18
Subject: Re: FW: Miserable Skoda Customer Experiences in India-MD TN 01 AM 5339
To: "Borkar, Mukul (Skoda Auto India)" <mukul.borkar@skoda-auto.co.in>
Cc: "More, Apeksha (Skoda Auto India)" <apeksha.more@skoda-auto.co.in>, "SKIN R: Aurangabad, Skoda India Customer Care" <customercare@skoda-auto.co.in>, "<managerunit3@gurudevmotors.com>" <managerunit3@gurudevmotors.com>, sudhir.rao@skoda-auto.co.in, Winfried.Vahland@skoda-auto.cz, info@skoda-info.cz

Dear Mr Borkar

I do hope so! I really hope you can ensure quality workmanship.

I called the Service Engineer a while ago for an update. The conversation did not inspire much confidence. He said I have to pay up INR 2000 plus as labour charges for the repair, apart from whatever is wrong with the flywheel! When I said how I could be expected to pay for poor repair on the part of Skoda last time, he said that if the repair was poor the warning lamps should have come one when I took delivery and not later. When I asked him how it was that now there is no warning lamp flashing but Skoda says that some solenoid has to be replaced, he had no answer.

I am absolutely convinced that it was poor workmanship that is leading to more problems. last time they have returned the car in a hurry (after keeping it for 8 days!) without properly checking. Gurudev is exploiting a monopoly situation to the hilt and ripping off customers.

When I had the Elantra, which cost me half as much as this car, for every service Hyundai used to give me a loaner car, even for a day. Today you keep my car with you for days on end and do not even offer such courtesy! I am dependent on cabs and am spending a fortune on them.

Since you have been responsive, I am hoping for some proper outcome. I am told by Gurudev Motors that they are awaiting response from you and that since today is May Day, they will only let me know tomorrow!!! If Gurudev Motors cannot do the work properly, please let me know. I shall look for alternatives - if need be drive to Bangalore or else try an independent garage, who may offer me succour without these hassles.

The saddest part is, nay the irony is, my Service Engineer's ringtone is Skoda music and it says "Skoda - obsessed with quality since 1895". Is my experience what Skoda means by OBSESSION with quality?!!

Regards

Suresh
Spectator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 07:39   #1364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectator View Post

An update concerning the Turbo Solenoid. I was abroad and could take the Yeti to the Service Centre only this Monday.
My apologies for posting the update on a wrong thread. I still have to get the hang of this. I have since moved it to the right thread!
Old 6th May 2013, 09:24   #1365
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting scoop on the new Skoda Yeti testing in China and it does look like it is going to get a tail mounted spare in future! The rear hatch also looks like it has been changed to a side opening version, instead of a lift up type.
More details and pics on IAB:
http://indianautosblog.com/2013/05/2...in-china-74627
Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-skodayetifaceliftchinaspyshotrear.jpg

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-2014skodayetifacelifttestinginchina.jpg

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-2014skodayetifacelifttestmulerear.jpg

Interestingly they chose to disguise it as a Suzuki Vitara (and put Suzuki branding) and the test variant was not carrying any other camouflage.

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 6th May 2013 at 09:26.
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks