Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2010, 01:05   #256
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
AFAIK, the octavia came with an archaic PD engine with some 90 horses which can't hold a candle to the Yeti's superb CRDI motor.
Octavia never came with a PD engine. The engine was a old Di Turbo, but a real nice one for its vintage. The Handling+Steering was much better than than both the Yeti and Laura anyday.
Old 25th December 2010, 01:48   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
For that you need to drive the Octavia - specifically the 150BHP Tpi or the RS. What a handler - with 130mm GC and 16" tyres it grips the surface like anything. And that turbo charged petrol engine pulls like a magic...
Sir, The Octavia RS with a Turbo petrol engine is one of the fastest and best driver's car ever launched in India in that price range and I do know that though I have not driven that.
It was a car that I dreamt of buying but now it is no more available sadly!

But that is a rare species and my assumption was the original post was referring to the normal diesel octavia which sold in huge numbers.
If that is not the case, then my assumption and comment was incorrect.

And since Yeti has a diesel motor, the comparison with the SKoda RS is irrevelant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Octavia never came with a PD engine. The engine was a old Di Turbo, but a real nice one for its vintage. The Handling+Steering was much better than than both the Yeti and Laura anyday.
Thanks for the info. I was not aware of that. But I will check once more, though what you have said will be correct. But somewhere in my mind, I still have this notion that it was a PD engine. May be I am incorrect.
I have driven the Octavia which my boss owned a few years back and I still remember it to be unrefined and even the acceleration was pretty average.
The Yeti's motor should be miles ahead of it.
Old 25th December 2010, 11:06   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Without any doubts the Yeti comes with a much modern and superior engine compared to the Octavia TDi. Skoda introduced the PD engine first time in India in the Laura.
Old 26th December 2010, 23:56   #259
BHPian

Quote:
To sum up i would say the Yeti makes sense for city driving and rough road driving (more than the Laura/Octavia), but on the expressway ! Nah....i'd prefer a big SUV or my car.
On the expressway big SUVs tend to cruise so smoothly, that you can cover large distances with less fatigue. On the other hand the Octavia TPI or RS was second to none (in its price bracket) with its 150 Bhp 20 valve turbo petrol engine and a top speed of 223 kph. Now the Laura TSI has taken its crown.

For city driving(esp Pune) the Octavia is bit of a handful, so maybe the Yeti with a DSG (in future)should be ideal.

But i am still curious...my Octy has an inside width of 1450mm measured inside between the rear window panes (glass to glass) at shoulder level. Now how much is the Yeti's and the Laura's inside width ?

Last edited by rxpaul : 27th December 2010 at 00:02.
Old 30th December 2010, 00:30   #260
BHPian

Internationally, the Yeti competes with the BMW X1. And in some cases, wins!

I wonder what will pull potential buyers away from Skoda showrooms other than the badge? The way I see it, the X1 is a 2WD mini van in comparison to the Yeti.
Old 1st January 2011, 20:36   #261
BHPian

I just love the Yeti, the idea of it and the execution. If I had the cash that my dad has, i can see myself walking into the showroom to buy me one.

But in the showroom, I can also see the Laura 2.0 with the DSG box and in the months to come maybe, a really enticing yellow VRS in full body kit at similar if not lower (without the yellow colour and body kit :-)) and suddenly the Yeti starts looking like a bad choice.

I just worry that Skoda is making a very fabiaesqe mistake, asking too large a sum of cash for what is otherwise a fantastic product.
Old 2nd January 2011, 00:34   #262
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ If the additional GC and the off-road ability does not matter to you much the Laura DSG will please you better. I know this because keep driving both these cars back to back. Ground clearance in Laura is very for a car of this segment. I feel one cannot go wrong with either of them.

See the comparison between them here.
Old 22nd January 2011, 22:38   #263
BHPian

The Review here claims the price is between 15 to 17lakhs but today the sales man told me the Elegance costs 19.2lakhs!! Has the price gone up lately or is this guy another lazy sales man who does not care the brush up his knowledge?
Old 24th January 2011, 09:53   #264
BHPian

How about this TopGear review!

-Pramod
Old 24th January 2011, 10:25   #265
BHPian

After seeing this JC review, I really wish I hadn't bought the latest generation CR-V and owned the Yeti. Yeti owners, I envy you! Having said that, I hope none of you face the Skoda A.S.S issues that are now so common and scary.
Old 24th January 2011, 19:11   #266
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
How about this TopGear review!
-Pramod
That was awesome! Especially the race with a Ferrari and the Copter landing on top.

And noticed that the review specimen was with the 1.8 TSI.
Old 24th January 2011, 19:41   #267
Distinguished - BHPian

Those Video with those stupid tests are good to watch but if you intend to take them seriously take them with truckloads of salt. But no doubts about the Yeti being a well built excellent car.

Last edited by .anshuman : 24th January 2011 at 19:43.
Old 24th January 2011, 20:23   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

Video "blocked on copyright grounds"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar View Post
After seeing this JC review, I really wish I hadn't bought the latest generation CR-V ... .
I don't know how anyone can wish they hadn't bought a CRV! I was a passenger in one for one short trip, and that was more than enough to feel a strong a strong affection. I'm sure you're very happy with yours, really

But I'd like a Yeti. Not ridiculously big for couple-carrying, but big and tough enough for Chennai's worst roads.
Quote:
The Review here claims the price is between 15 to 17lakhs but today the sales man told me the Elegance costs 19.2lakhs!!
Oh well... that just makes it even less attainable for me. Never mind. I could always sell some of the family onions, I suppose.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 24th January 2011 at 20:23. Reason: Woops! *Three* smileys!
Old 24th January 2011, 21:02   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post

Spot on !! AND I can vouch for the drive the Octy provides. My car is touching 53K on the odo & running on the original clutch & brakes.

The car is an icon had Skoda service been upto expectations, they have a good line up. But for their A.S.S.

Ofcourse I shifted to a private garage & am happy of my decision. All parts are easily available in the open market, so no problems.

Cheers
Old 24th January 2011, 23:25   #270
Senior - BHPian

Here's another with the highlight on yeti from top gear.
TOP GEAR - German Car Scene

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks