Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2021, 10:06   #2161
BHPian

Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Hi everyone. Would like some advise from Yeti veterans. Does the Yeti have CV joints on the rear as well?

I have a 2011 4x4 Yeti, and when moving from standstill, under moderate acceleration, with steering turned, I get a sound from the rear which is some sort of a clicking thud.

These symptoms are very similar to a bad CV joint. However CV joints are mostly on the front axle. Does the Yeit have them on the rear axle as well?

Also will I i get just the CV joints as replacement part. Spoke to my FNG. He is going to open the boots of rear axle and change the grease in there. He said if the join is bad, I will need a new axle. Just the CV joint arent available.

Anyone has had any experience with this?
Old 18th October 2021, 10:55   #2162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline_r34 View Post
Hi everyone. Would like some advise from Yeti veterans. Does the Yeti have CV joints on the rear as well?

I have a 2011 4x4 Yeti, and when moving from standstill, under moderate acceleration, with steering turned, I get a sound from the rear which is some sort of a clicking thud.

These symptoms are very similar to a bad CV joint. However CV joints are mostly on the front axle. Does the Yeit have them on the rear axle as well?

Also will I i get just the CV joints as replacement part. Spoke to my FNG. He is going to open the boots of rear axle and change the grease in there. He said if the join is bad, I will need a new axle. Just the CV joint arent available.

CV joints are mainly for steering the wheels under power. I do not think that there are CV joints at the rear wheels in most 4x4 vehicles.

What you may be experiencing is the backlash/play in the transmission - at both ends of the propeller shaft and in the rear differential. Correlation with steering may be purely incidental.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 11:29   #2163
BHPian

My Yeti, 4*4, 2012, has cold start issues. On cold start, it stammers and hesitates. This continues till the engine gets to temperature. During this period, the engine hesitation is also felt while driving. There are no lights on the dashboard.

What could be the probable cause/s? Please suggest.
Old 19th October 2021, 11:32   #2164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
My Yeti, 4*4, 2012, has cold start issues. On cold start, it stammers and hesitates. This continues till the engine gets to temperature. During this period, the engine hesitation is also felt while driving. There are no lights on the dashboard.

What could be the probable cause/s? Please suggest.
Change your battery as it seems to be on its last leg.
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 17:42   #2165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Change your battery as it seems to be on its last leg.
The battery was changed last December, and I have got the gravity checked, which is fine. The battery measures 12.65 v with engine off and 14.20 volts when car is on.
Old 21st October 2021, 18:41   #2166
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The battery was changed last December, and I have got the gravity checked, which is fine. The battery measures 12.65 v with engine off and 14.20 volts when car is on.
Then get your injectors cleaned, there could be clogging in them. Also change your fuel station as the existing fuel could be low quality..
Get your glow plug checked too.

Last edited by Behemoth : 21st October 2021 at 18:43.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 18:15   #2167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
What you may be experiencing is the backlash/play in the transmission - at both ends of the propeller shaft and in the rear differential. Correlation with steering may be purely incidental.
Thanks. I got the transmission shaft checked for play. There is no vertical or horizontal play. There is some longitudinal play, but I am told that is normal for all 4x4 transmission shafts.

Can anyone recommend a good 4x4 garage in Mumbai who can help diagnose and fix this.
Old 6th December 2021, 15:14   #2168

Hi

I am also experiencing the same issue. The thud sound comes just after few feet of running. Please let me know once you are able to find the solution.
srik0305 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 18:29   #2169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Then get your injectors cleaned, there could be clogging in them. Also change your fuel station as the existing fuel could be low quality..
Get your glow plug checked too.
Behemoth Howdy...
Still have your Yeti? I think you sold it some years ago right? I need some help here. I haven't been using my Yeti sinc ethe lockdown last year. It was servced just before that. So during the rains the speed/wheel sensor light came one. And with it came a new symptom, at time when I take a turn I woudl get a noise from the rear with a feeling of a shake. It also happend when I would power up at the start of a slope. I need to go to the workshop which I will. What I want to know is any idea what gen Haldex a 2011/12 model Have. The haldex shoudl come on at low speeds nor if the front wheels are Not Slipping. Thats what I think. If the front wheel slips and the rear dont push the Yeti forward by taking over then I know its not working. How does the locking of the rear wheels work? If front wheels are slipping and with it one rear is slipping too then does the system brake the slipping rear whel and the power go to the other rear wheel? Why did it happen when I turn I coudl feel one left wheel lock and skid on a left turn on a wet road these rains... We have another vehicle for daily use to work but I still love my manual yeti things got better things got worse so I didn't bother to go to get it fixed or use... Best regards

Quote:

you get a clicking thud when you turn and moving and the sound it from the rear wheel? Do you feel the other wheel jump like applying more traction on the road?

Quote:
What battery have you got in the Yeti? Did you get the battery checked at the Skoda dealer? Don't go on gravity and volatage, Where did you get this checked Battery dealer. Skoda has a guage that tell you whats wrong with a battery. does your steering jerk when you turn it? Like the steering feel harder in jerks like the Electronic Power Steering is not turning the wheel and you feel that in your hands?

Last edited by Sheel : 6th December 2021 at 18:41. Reason: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! Thanks.
deutscheafrikar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 13:34   #2170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srik0305 View Post
Hi

I am also experiencing the same issue. The thud sound comes just after few feet of running. Please let me know once you are able to find the solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Behemoth Howdy...
you get a clicking thud when you turn and moving and the sound it from the rear wheel? Do you feel the other wheel jump like applying more traction on the road?
Agree with both obervations. It happens a few feet after moving. Typically while turning and accelerating at the same time. Yes, it does feel like something was catching and then a release which feels like wheel jump.

Also it occurs without fail if the car has not been used to long. So far Yeti was not my primary car and usage was limited. On each run, the above issue was a given occurence. However of late Yeti has become my primary car, and with daily usage the issue has disappeared in the normal course of running. It is difficult, but on full lock turns, under hard acceleration, it is possible to recreate the sound. Yet that too takes a few attempts to reproduce, vs earlier, when it would occur without fail on a simple reverse turn pulling out of my parking. Got my FNG to generously grease all suspension and transmission parts under the car, and hope it continues to run fine. Not sure how to diagnose the issue correctly and figure a fix yet.
Old 23rd January 2022, 00:06   #2171
BHPian

So one thing good came out of Omicron. We medicos tend to take work home, as in, we are effected by what we see in our work place and lately it's being nothing good at all. So on a couple of trips between home and work ( Muvattupuzha- Palakkad) driving with these thoughts in mind I was driving very sedately with a lot of thoughts going on and surprise surprise the snowman outshined. Let the pictures do the talking. (The total distance is Muvattupuzha- Palakkad to and fro with a gap of 3 days)
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-img_20220122_231402.jpg  

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-img_20220122_231400.jpg  

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-img_20220122_231358.jpg  

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-img_20220122_231352.jpg  

milu2fast is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 17:34   #2172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agree with both obervations. It happens a few feet after moving. Typically while turning and accelerating at the same time. Yes, it does feel like something was catching and then a release which feels like wheel jump.

Also it occurs without fail if the car has not been used to long. So far Yeti was not my primary car and usage was limited. On each run, the above issue was a given occurence. However of late Yeti has become my primary car, and with daily usage the issue has disappeared in the normal course of running. It is difficult, but on full lock turns, under hard acceleration, it is possible to recreate the sound. .
How many kilometers has your yeti run till date? and when was the haldex oil changed last and at what kilometer reading was it done at? It would be a good idea to get it changed if it has been a long interval
Old 24th January 2022, 22:43   #2173
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by milu2fast View Post
I was driving very sedately with a lot of thoughts going on and surprise surprise the snowman outshined. Let the pictures do the talking. (The total distance is Muvattupuzha- Palakkad to and fro with a gap of 3 days)
I am NOT surprised at all My Yeti yields around 20 km/L on sedate driving ( around 70-80 km/h). My usual driving speeds (I am a spirited driver) the FE comes down to 14 km/L on my regular (Kochi-Palakkad) trips which I am completely happy with.

Pete's remap + Bilstein B6 + K&N filter + Lenso Dyno wheels + Continental 245 /45 R17 ContySport rubbers = irrespective of the traffic condition, I get home in jus a little under 2 hours!
Old 3rd February 2022, 16:29   #2174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
How many kilometers has your yeti run till date? and when was the haldex oil changed last and at what kilometer reading was it done at? It would be a good idea to get it changed if it has been a long interval
Car has run 117k kms. Just before Covid hit, had a major service done. Changed the timing kit, water pump, front shocks, brake pads etc. As a part of it the workshop had checked and changed all fluids. The differential oil was gone at that time and was changed. They had checked the Haldex oil and it was fine. The workshop did not recommend the oil change, so let it be. At the same time, had lifted the car on a hydraulic lift and engaged 1st and got the wheels moving. Without any traction on the front wheels, the Haldex engaged and the rear wheels were also spinning. No funny noises in that check.
Old 21st February 2022, 15:21   #2175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srik0305 View Post
Hi

Can you describe the noise / thud? where does it come from and under what circcumstances? Does it happen under acceleration on level ground or more on slopes? Does it happen when turning or only on straight driving?

Quote:

Spoke to my FNG.
Quote:
The workshop did not recommend the oil change, so let it be. No funny noises in that check.
who is it the FNG and where's this workshop? Did they check the suspension?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks