Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2017, 18:25   #1981
BHPian

Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Is the older Yeti available with dealers anymore? Yeti sold 2 units in last 6 months.
I doubt if Skoda planning to launch new Yeti in India. Purely from a financial feasibility perspective. They never tasted success (with whatever definition of success Skoda India has) with Yeti.
For Kodiaq, they call it EN ROUTE and have a link with "Explore More". The website nowhere mentions "Karoq".
The international site brags a lot about it( http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/models/karoq )

With recent Chevy stunt (following Daewoo, Peugeot footsteps) I am worried about Skoda getting the wrong ideas.

Last edited by Ohh!Oxygen : 7th June 2017 at 18:28. Reason: grammar correction
Old 7th June 2017, 19:17   #1982
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
It is indeed one of the best ever cars out of Skoda works and it ought to by rights, go down as one of their all time greats.
Except in this blessed country with its completely skewed priorities and rating systems and preferences for form over function.
Good car, but the greatest? Not so sure about that
It will remain as a one-off wonder with its distinct quirky looks, especially the pre-facelift model.

The Yeti being replaced by Karoq is a global change, not just a removal from their India portfolio.
Old 7th June 2017, 19:53   #1983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
Why dont you check with JMD just to confirm its the ABS module and not just one of the sensors?
It is hard to find independent garages who can do a decent job.
I have been sending my car (fabia) to Jatin from wagenwerkz. You can ask him about the same he has genuine vcds cable and can scan and confirm for you.
I have had bad experience with JMD , wherein I had to wait for a month for ABS wheel sensors as they were out of stock (according to them). The other dealer replaced the sensors the same day. JMD also made me replace a few other parts which was not required. How has your experience with wagenwerz been ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Just to be sure, get all the 4 wheel ABS sensors replaced. They dont cost too much and there is a discount offer from Skoda for monsoon check of 25% less on spares. You should be able to get all four replaced at around 10k total.
All 4 wheel ABS was replaced not very long ago, I seem to be having ABS sensor failure very frequently. Probably faulty module ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Get it from abroad - you should get UK salvage for about 150 pounds sterling or less (Rs.12k-ish?). Plenty on eBay.

Since Skoda thinks you don't quality for their goodwill, they shouldn't qualify for yours either - take it to an independent garage outside.
That's definitely an option worth exploring.

Does anyone have any contacts in Skoda who can help ? Appreciate the help here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz View Post
I have had bad experience with JMD , wherein I had to wait for a month for ABS wheel sensors as they were out of stock (according to them). The other dealer replaced the sensors the same day. JMD also made me replace a few other parts which was not required. How has your experience with wagenwerz been ?

Experience with jatin is decent, make sure you are present when he scans for errors. He has replaced ABS sensors on my fabia a couple of times. Price will be cheaper than skoda for sure.
See there is no harm in asking for a second opinion than just blindly changing the module.

Last edited by ajmat : 8th June 2017 at 08:40.
Old 9th June 2017, 18:38   #1984
BHPian

Can anyone help me source yeti's tailgate gas struts? Mine seem to have given up.
Old 9th June 2017, 21:19   #1985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz View Post
All 4 wheel ABS was replaced not very long ago, I seem to be having ABS sensor failure very frequently. Probably faulty module
ABS (wheel speed) sensors for the VAG vehicles should fall under "consumables", since they seem to require very frequent replacements.

I got tired of their sensors and finally switched to a german alternative that my friend's garage has been fitting on their customers VAG Group vehicles. No further issues thereafter. I cannot remember the name except that it began with an F.

The other semi-consumable seems to be the in-cabin temperature sensor, which repeatedly fools the a/c. Haven't found another alternative for this.

RE: Your query about contacts in Skoda...they can help you get the part faster, but the cost is going to be whatever the dealer has quoted, assuming that it is the ABS Module. Getting the part from abroad is probably the quicker and significantly cheaper option.

Perhaps we are blessed with extensive independent garage support for VAG vehicles down south, because there are several reliable options for a person outside the dealership mafia. Many of them have their own supply chain for common parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Good car, but the greatest? Not so sure about that
Shankar does tend to get a little carried away with the brands he has had an experience with. I'm sure he didn't mean it literally, though I've heard the same from the staff of at least 3 Skoda dealerships - they swear its the best amongst the vehicles Skoda has released in India.

Last edited by Steeroid : 9th June 2017 at 21:22.
Old 13th August 2017, 13:03   #1986
Senior - BHPian

Started my Yeti after 3 months of covered parking (basement) today, and to my luck, it started without any fuss. One problem is the steering warning gauge show up (in dim light) though there is no error reported in the 'Vehicle Status'. Possibly, the power steering is not playing nicely after 3 months of un-used activity.

Another problem is AC won't cool any longer even after running the car for 2-3 hours. My AC condenser and radiator were replaced new a year ago. Any pointers how to go about it?
Old 13th August 2017, 17:55   #1987
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Started my Yeti after 3 months of covered parking (basement) today, and to my luck, it started without any fuss. One problem is the steering warning gauge show up (in dim light) though there is no error reported in the 'Vehicle Status'. Possibly, the power steering is not playing nicely after 3 months of un-used activity.

Another problem is AC won't cool any longer even after running the car for 2-3 hours. My AC condenser and radiator were replaced new a year ago. Any pointers how to go about it?
The steering issue could be due to a low battery as the steering assist is electrical so the loading could be causing a voltage drop. Try going for a long 2-3 hour drive to see if the battery charges and it may solve the issue.
In case of the AC, if you have a VCDS, check the fault codes and other parameters. There is also an option to do initial adaptation which you can do in basic settings. If any flap is stuck it may correct it.
Behemoth is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 12:31   #1988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
The steering issue could be due to a low battery as the steering assist is electrical so the loading could be causing a voltage drop. Try going for a long 2-3 hour drive to see if the battery charges and it may solve the issue.
In case of the AC, if you have a VCDS, check the fault codes and other parameters. There is also an option to do initial adaptation which you can do in basic settings. If any flap is stuck it may correct it.
My car is with Skoda A.S.S for 5th year service (53K kms). And initial findings are:
1) AC fans are not running. Possible cause could be wiring loose or gas leak. Require further Checks.

2) Water pump is leaking and need replacement. They are also insisting on timer belt change at the same time. (cost for water pump + timing belt ~ Rs. 22K). Unlucky for me for the pump to go kaput after the 4 yrs warranty, else would have been replacement for free. Perhaps, I could request for a goodwill subsidy.

Any idea if AC not cooling is related to water pump leak?

They are also insisting for the VW emission software update, which I declined, however they refused service until the update is applied. I assumed the update was optional.

Last edited by iTNerd : 14th August 2017 at 12:35.
Old 14th August 2017, 13:07   #1989
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My car is with Skoda A.S.S for 5th year service (53K kms). And initial findings are:
1) AC fans are not running. Possible cause could be wiring loose or gas leak. Require further Checks.

2) Water pump is leaking and need replacement. They are also insisting on timer belt change at the same time. (cost for water pump + timing belt ~ Rs. 22K). Unlucky for me for the pump to go kaput after the 4 yrs warranty, else would have been replacement for free. Perhaps, I could request for a goodwill subsidy.

They are also insisting for the VW emission software update, which I declined, however they refused service until the update is applied. I assumed the update was optional.
Ac cooling is not linked to water pump leakage. If the Ac fans are not running it could be due to cable damage or connector damage. It is possible that rats or squirrels may have damaged your cables when you left your car for three months.
Water pump leakage is a known failure point which happened in quite a few Yetis, you should try your luck by writing to Skoda under goodwill, even if not full amount at least they should offer some discount.
Old 14th August 2017, 13:30   #1990
BHPian

Quote:

My yeti started leaking coolant, got it checked at a FNG he suggested water pump and timing kit needs replacement. But he also suggested to get it done at skoda as prices will be similar outside and at skoda.
Sent my car to skoda they confirmed exactly the same. Cost of water pump + Timing belt kit =8500 + 12500 parts only.
However in addition to that there are charges for coolant pump bolt, engine mounting bolt, engine mounting bracket, crank pulley bolt, high pressor pump bolt mentioned in quotation and plus labour charges. Total estimate is around 35k. I told him frankly that I am expecting a discount of around 20-30% if not more. Currently they have ordered parts, expecting delivery this week.
Old 17th August 2017, 13:15   #1991
Senior - BHPian

so, I got the 5th year service for my Yeti done at Nawab motors, Noida. Earlier, I had not used my car for 3 long months (away for long holiday) and it was parked in the basement. Last week came back home, started the car and no issues, it started. However, AC was not working (eg. hot air blowing) and both fans were not running. Gave the car for 5th year service and requested to diagnose the AC issue and fans not working. I was expecting some minor electrical or fuse glitch with the AC/fans issue.

I was surprised when the supervisors called to inform me, the AC evaporator/cooling coil is leaking. So is the water pump and suspension bushes needs replacement. All these when my car had just run 50K kms in 5 years. Even though out of warranty, I requested for goodwill gesture for the replacements. However, I was refused and said, I need to bear the cost of the replacements.

I was quoted the following estimation for replacements (including labor charges):
AC cooling coil – Rs. 40,000
Water Pump/timing belt – Rs. 22,000
Suspension bushing/overhaul – Rs. 40,000

I refused the replacements and wrote to Skoda India Customer Care for goodwill consideration. But I was again re-directed to the CRM @ Nawab Motors. They have yet to get back to me till today.

I wanted to ask:
1) If AC fan is not running with engine and AC on, is there a possibility that there is a sensor or perhaps an electrical or fuse relay failure?

2) I noticed a strange behavior in the electromechnical power steering warning gauge since I started the engine after 3 months of hibernation. This warning guage shows bright yellow (which according to the manual indicates partial failure of the power steering..) during engine start. After few seconds, it dimmed out and won't go off until you tie the seat belt. The fog light gauge next to this power steering gauge also lights up dimly if my left or right indicator is flashed on. And this goes off too if I tie the seat belt. Anyone have any idea what could be happening here? Perhaps the ground points of the battery that are connected to the car body has corroded and not getting a proper contact?
iTNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 14:09   #1992
BHPian

Quote:
so, I got the 5th year service for my Yeti done at Nawab motors, Noida. Earlier, I had not used my car for 3 long months (away for long holiday) and it was parked in the basement. Last week came back home, started the car and no issues, it started. However, AC was not working (eg. hot air blowing) and both fans were not running. Gave the car for 5th year service and requested to diagnose the AC issue and fans not working. I was expecting some minor electrical or fuse glitch with the AC/fans issue.

I was surprised when the supervisors called to inform me, the AC evaporator/cooling coil is leaking. So is the water pump and suspension bushes needs replacement. All these when my car had just run 50K kms in 5 years. Even though out of warranty, I requested for goodwill gesture for the replacements. However, I was refused and said, I need to bear the cost of the replacements.

I was quoted the following estimation for replacements (including labor charges):
AC cooling coil – Rs. 40,000
Water Pump/timing belt – Rs. 22,000
Suspension bushing/overhaul – Rs. 40,000

I refused the replacements and wrote to Skoda India Customer Care for goodwill consideration. But I was again re-directed to the CRM @ Nawab Motors. They have yet to get back to me till today.

I wanted to ask:
1) If AC fan is not running with engine and AC on, is there a possibility that there is a sensor or perhaps an electrical or fuse relay failure?

2) I noticed a strange behavior in the electromechnical power steering warning gauge since I started the engine after 3 months of hibernation. This warning guage shows bright yellow (which according to the manual indicates partial failure of the power steering..) during engine start. After few seconds, it dimmed out and won't go off until you tie the seat belt. The fog light gauge next to this power steering gauge also lights up dimly if my left or right indicator is flashed on. And this goes off too if I tie the seat belt. Anyone have any idea what could be happening here? Perhaps the ground points of the battery that are connected to the car body has corroded and not getting a proper contact?

IMHO leaving the car without starting for three months is not a big issue when compared to any insects or rats having their party in your car, and this could have a bearing on some of the things mentioned above. The car started on a single crank means that the battery is still good to go. You should take a second opinion at least related to the ac fan.
Secondly, there is definitely some electrical issue due to which the sensors are having their own mind. Also, bear in mind, the distance run by a car is not directly proportional to number of years so more idle intervals also lead to faster deterioration of running parts (I could be wrong here).
sumzup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 17:00   #1993

Quote:
Happened with our yeti in June this year when one of the condenser fan stopped working. I only found out when the coolant reservoir was empty and it started overheating. They told me the fan had gone kaput. expensive replacement.
Quote:
2) Water pump is leaking and need replacement.
The water pump on our yeti started leaking during a long trip my dad was taking and the ASC nearby didn't have one in spare. They topped the coolant off and he was on his way. Surprise Surprise the 4 year warranty had just gotten over.

As stated by Behemoth, AC not cooling isn't related to the water pump leak. The water pump circulates coolant through the water jacket of the engine block to regulate its temperature and the compressor does the refrigerant through the coils. Maybe the fan not working could cause loss of cooling. I've had to get the coil changed once though.
Our Yeti's done just over 1 lac Kms in 5 years.
abir.sharda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2017, 21:03   #1994
Senior - BHPian

Update: Got my AC working again! Replaced the cooling coil (aka evaporator coil), rear brake pads, skimmed rear brake disc at World of Service, Noida. Excellent service and reasonable cost. Total cost came around 30K including labor charge (26K for cooling coil + 3K for rear brake pads + 1K for disc skimming). All work was done within 2 days infront of me, and quite satisfied with the quality and knowledge of the technicians. For the coiling replacement, the whole dashboard was disassembled and took a whole day, and took another to put it back. Now the AC is chilling just like when it was new 5 years back. Fortunately, the foul smell too has disappeared. Hope it stays this way till the far future.

Saved from being ripped off by the skoda dealer (Nawab Motors) - AC cooling coil replacement (40K) Water pump replacement (22K), rear suspension overhaul (40K). Apart from the cooling coil replacement, the others replacement were not required at all (as per the diagnosis from WOS). Now, I am too nervous to service with Skoda A.S.S post warranty. Considering servicing my skoda at this FNG for the time being

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-yeti1.jpg

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-yeti2.jpg
Old 23rd August 2017, 22:53   #1995
BHPian

Great to hear. Anupam from wos is a good and knowledgeable guy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks