Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2013, 17:17   #1411
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

I am making my enquiries and will continue to do so. In the meantime I would request that this discussion ends here. I will not post further on noise issue here and I would request that no further response be made on my previous posts.

I would like to thank all those who gave their valuable inputs; it reassures me and will go a long way in helping me reach a decision.
Old 29th June 2013, 19:19   #1412
Senior - BHPian

Amen to that!! the final word from my side - get a different test drive unit. And if i get mine quickly enough and you would like to fix up to see what its like in a brand new non TD vehicle , would be happy to show it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
I would request that this discussion ends here..
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2013, 20:47   #1413
BHPian

Can anyone please post the on road price for the Linea TJet in Bangalore. Also if possible the delivery time.
Old 29th June 2013, 21:25   #1414
BHPian

As per the price list given by Aadya motors here are the on road prices in Bangalore :
Active : 952,392
Dynamic : 1,051,610
Emotion : 1,095,246
_raviShankar_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 13:49   #1415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Engine noise is a bit intrusive at 2000 rpm, which is my standard gear change point. But most of all the AC compressor is extremely loud inside the cabin.
As another T Jet owner, here are my comments.

There is no intrusive engine noise at the said rpm. I use the same shift point as you do in the city cycle.

What you probably heard is radiator/condenser fan spinning at high speed. The compressor makes no noise and you don't even feel it kicking in at all. The compressor does not make noise in any car. This radiator/condenser fan has two speeds for operation. It is audible at both speeds inside the cabin. At normal speed, you need to pay attention or you won't notice its running. At high speed, its like a whirl wind and you can clearly hear it and feel mild vibrations on the steering wheel. This is how it is in my car. The high speed fan kicks in only if the system is trying too hard to cool down a hot cabin (16 degrees is impossible during day time and the system will be over worked), external temperatures are high and if there is insufficient air flow to the radiator/condenser for cooling. You might want to drive the car again before you rule it out.

The cabin blower noise is on the higher side when it is spinning at high speeds. I don't know off any car with a low blower noise when it working real hard to cool the cabin. I've heard the blower on full blast on the C class and that is a noisy unit too. The blower speed decreases automatically as cabin temperature is reduced. If you don't like it, just reduce the speed as you would in manual control AC. You need to be realistic as well on cabin temperatures that you are trying to achieve. No car can bring down cabin temperatures to 16 degrees when the outside is 35 degrees. I set and vary the temperature between 22-24 degrees when the ambient temperature indicates 35 degrees and this is more than sufficient to cool down the cabin. The system works hard initially and then settles down when the cabin is comfortable, not freezing. There is no noise too. I sometimes look at the climate control display as I can't tell if its functioning. 3 bars from lower end and you don't hear a thing.

I hope you have not ruled out this car just because you found the said "compressor" to be extremely loud. There is no component in the T Jet that is loud or disturbing. The only thing I find disturbing is ambient noise and road noise filtering in to the cabin. This maybe specific to my car. Road noise being a concern only at very high speeds. If you have already dropped this car, all I can say is, you have missed what I believe is the best sedan in the segment.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 1st July 2013 at 13:52.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 15:06   #1416
BHPian

I took a test drive of the T-Jet at the Thane showroom yesterday. I was really impressed overall by the drive. Maybe because for me it is a big difference from my current WagonR. The pickup is massive. The engine is so smooth that when I first switched it ON, I did not hear anything and was going to crank it once more, but was told by the Sales person that it is already running.
I do not recollect hearing the fan noise. Certainly not above acceptable limits. Else, I would have noticed.
While reading this thread today, I came to know that there are no bottle holders anywhere inside the car. This is somewhat a negative aspect for me, but not a deal breaker.
Also, can some T-Jet owners post their experience of the fuel consumption figures? This will make my case easier.
The dealer experience was good and professional. The test drive vehicle had just left for another showroom when I reached there. But he was recalled on my request. The test drive lasted for maybe 15 mins.
Old 1st July 2013, 15:54   #1417
Senior - BHPian

The problem is more in terms of how the space is designed , refer to the image i have attached

there is neither enough width or depth as one might normally be used to but i do think a large part of this inconvenience can be negated basis the type of bottle one might use - i carry a lot of water while going for long drives , standard round bottles which will be difficult fitting here , but 2 half liter bottles or 1 single liter bottle which are flat rather than round should come inside this space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SachinVD View Post
I took a test drive of the T-Jet at the Thane showroom yesterday. I was really impressed overall by the drive. Maybe because for me it is a big difference from my current WagonR. The pickup is massive. The engine is so smooth that when I first switched it ON, I did not hear anything and was going to crank it once more, but was told by the Sales person that it is already running.
I do not recollect hearing the fan noise. Certainly not above acceptable limits. Else, I would have noticed.
While reading this thread today, I came to know that there are no bottle holders anywhere inside the car. This is somewhat a negative aspect for me, but not a deal breaker.
Also, can some T-Jet owners post their experience of the fuel consumption figures? This will make my case easier.
The dealer experience was good and professional. The test drive vehicle had just left for another showroom when I reached there. But he was recalled on my request. The test drive lasted for maybe 15 mins.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-lineatjet17.jpg  

puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 16:24   #1418
BHPian

Quote:
Bottle holders (or the lack of them) can be an irritant during highway trips. I usually keep one 500 ml bottle in the door pocket and use the seat-back pocket for storing the 1 L bottles. The benefit of storing the 1 L bottles in seat-back pocket is that the water stays cool for a long time.

w.r.t. fuel efficiency, I would term it 'fairly decent' at 10.5-11 KMPL in NCR traffic (100% AC) and highway consumption is completely dependent on my mood. If driven aggressively, the average consumption remains around 12 KMPL however, when driven sedately (constantly at 80-100 KMPH), it can deliver close to 17 KMPL. I have never driven it for extended period at 60 KMPH on highway, so can't comment on the efficiency when driven at that speed. You may refer to my ownership review for more details.
Biraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 17:28   #1419
BHPian

Quote:
The engine is so smooth that when I first switched it ON, I did not hear anything and was going to crank it once more.
It is for this very reason FIAT provides double-crank protection . You can't crank the engine once it is running, thereby protecting your starter motor, and avoiding that grrrrrrrh sound that comes with it and gives the car owner a heartache.

Quote:
Also, can some T-Jet owners post their experience of the fuel consumption figures?
It varies like Biraj just mentioned. I personally get somewhere between 9.5 and 12.5 kmpl. I personally find it difficult to drive the car sedately, yes, maybe I do for a few minutes, and then....
johy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 17:33   #1420
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I did not hear anything and was going to crank it once more, but was told by the Sales person that it is already running.
The double crank prevention system won't allow you to crank it again even if you tried to. If the sales person didn't explain/demo that, he hasn't had enough training yet *lol*.

Quote:
True. Fiat is never good in providing utility spaces. The workaround T-Jet owners use is like Puchoo pointed out - 500ml bottles can be fitted into the door trim pockets. Where other car owners fit a 1 litre bottle into the central bottle holder, T-Jet / Linea owners need to cram 2 X 500ml bottles into the door panel spaces. The other (annoying) option is to leave the bottles rolling on the ground .

Quote:
My experience :

Within city traffic, bumper-to-bumper with AC : 8-9 kmpl.
Within city traffic, moderate flowing traffic with AC : 9-10 kmpl
Within city traffic, aggressive driving with AC : 8-9 kmpl. Occasionally drops to 7 kmpl on hard revving

On highways, with AC and with a light foot, cruising at constant (sane) speeds : ~15-16 kmpl
On ghat sections / hills with AC and spirited driving : 13-14 kmpl
The highest I have got on an expressway at a constant 90 kmph (did this only once) : a shocking 19.1 kmpl !!!

If you switch off AC, add +2 kmpl to all those figures I said.

Hope this helps. A friendly word of advice: don't look at FE figures for the T-Jet. It isn't one of its USPs, being a T-petrol

Last edited by KarthikK : 1st July 2013 at 17:38.
KarthikK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 17:43   #1421
BHPian

Thanks Karthik.
The sales person was infact quite knowledgable and later on explained about the double crank protection system.
I agree, I should not look at FE for the T-Jet. But just wanted to ensure it is not too low.
Old 1st July 2013, 19:13   #1422
BHPian

Checked out the TJet Active today at Bagmane Tech Park kept by FIAT Caffe (KHT Motors) for promotion. Managed to click a few pics of the car particularly the Active-trim interiors. Looks pretty decent, however the lack of ACC, Blue&Me, Steering controls is a bit downer for a 9.5L car.

Interior colour is not exactly beige but a bit like ivory and is a dirt magnet for sure. IMHO, I felt the driver's seat lacked a bit of underthigh support and the rear bench though wide for 2.5 passengers did not have great leg room considering its a 4.5 m car. Boot is good and wide at 500 lt.

Have registered for a test drive tomorrow. Eager to unleash the motor.

The dials have a black background instead of white on the higher variants. Love the retro look!
Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-20130701_173312.jpg

The dash looks incomplete without ACC. The AC as such is a chiller though.
Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-20130701_173324.jpg

Notice the portion below the gearbox. Its black in colour as the previous TJet.
Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-20130701_173406.jpg

A pic from Karthik's comparo shows the same portion in an overdose of beige on the top end Emotion trim.
Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-dsc_0174.jpg

The fabric seats. They wrap the driver well but lack underthigh support.
Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-20130701_173418.jpg
srinath34 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 19:51   #1423
Senior - BHPian

The center console finish looks almost gun metal finish instead of the bright silver that i have seen - or does one attribute it to the photo being shot in dark conditions?
Old 1st July 2013, 19:55   #1424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath34 View Post

The dials have a black background instead of white on the higher variants. Love the retro look!
Attachment 1104842
The black dials actually look refreshingly good.

I am sure you are going to have a blast - unleashing the motor tomorrow.
Old 2nd July 2013, 12:07   #1425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath34 View Post
Looks pretty decent, however the lack of ACC, Blue&Me, Steering controls is a bit downer for a 9.5L car.

Interior colour is not exactly beige but a bit like ivory and is a dirt magnet for sure. IMHO, I felt the driver's seat lacked a bit of underthigh support and the rear bench though wide for 2.5 passengers did not have great leg room considering its a 4.5 m car. Boot is good and wide at 500 lt.
Yeah, Fiat needs to learn about space management from Honda.
But once you drive the Tjet all these things fade out from your memory.
The pleasure of driving the Tjet is unparalleled.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks