Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2012, 12:56   #871
Team-BHP Support

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
I read that there is a higher version available as 1.6 apart from what we get here 1.4. Isn't that the one you are referring to. Or you mean that 1.4 itself is available in different level of tuning.
It is the same 1368cc FIRE engine in the Brazilian version of T-Jet as well, just in a different state of tune to produce a whopping 152PS. The Indian version was detuned to ~120PS. As far as I know, there is no 1.6 petrol version in the Linea now, anywhere in the world.

Quote:
Linea Petrol line up is incomplete without T-Jet as they don't have Emotion variant as of now. Fiat can relaunch the T-Jet only in + variant (as T-Jet non plus was doing very very less compared to + variant) as Emotion variant and it could be made against confirmed orders only. That would complete their line up.
But considering the junta, people would expect/demand discounts from day one.
+1 I agree with you completely. Or perhaps the T-Jet+ will be renamed as the emotion pack in petrol range? the T-Jet (not +) was a sales dud. They ought to have thought about that before launching. It was a T-Jet+ without alloys and leather seats, while the emotion pack at ~1.5L lesser used to get alloys . Moreover, people who were buying T-Jet+ were all enthusiasts who were spending 70k more than the diesel version for a petrol guzzling car! Any person spending so much on an enthusiast car will obviously take the version with the alloys and leather seats with a little extra. That T-Jet (non+) was not required in the product range at all, in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
Not sure of the Brazilian car's specs, but have heard the block is capable of 250 bhp without touching the internals. Could be taken upto 350-odd bhp as well.
True. So effectively, if I swap the ECU with the one available on the Brazilian T-Jet, or if I remap it to that spec, I should be having a close-to factory-finish setup with 152bhp on tap, without meddling with anything else on the mechanicals front. Again, this is keeping aside fuel quality differences here and warranty worries, just a wild thought passing through my head. The only difference I find with the Brazil spec T-Jet is 205/50R17 tyres instead of 205/55R16 on offer here.

Last edited by KarthikK : 9th July 2012 at 13:01.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2012, 13:20   #872
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Linea Petrol line up is incomplete without T-Jet as they don't have Emotion variant as of now. Fiat can relaunch the T-Jet only in + variant (as T-Jet non plus was doing very very less compared to + variant) as Emotion variant and it could be made against confirmed orders only. That would complete their line up.
That is exactly what I've been hearing from the dealership. The Tjet+ would be re-badged as the Emotion variant in petrol. The dealer is even vouching (though purely un-officially) for a Diwali launch, but I am not sure if this statement can be taken at facevalue..

But I think Fiat is totally unpredictable about their product range and launch timing.
Old 9th July 2012, 13:24   #873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
It is the same 1368cc FIRE engine in the Brazilian version of T-Jet as well, just in a different state of tune to produce a whopping 152PS. The Indian version was detuned to ~120PS. As far as I know, there is no 1.6 petrol version in the Linea now, anywhere in the world.

The only difference I find with the Brazil spec T-Jet is 205/50R17 tyres instead of 205/55R16 on offer here.
I think I misunderstood 1.6 MJD as 1.6 TJ.
Imagine this Brazil spec T-Jet is launched as 2012 T-Jet. I also remember reading post by sidindica on this very thread (or 2012 Linea and Punto thread) sometime back that there is a possibility of 17" alloy wheels in 2012 T-Jet. So I say that atleast 1% chance exists.
Otherwise how can Fiat justify the price difference of around 3-5 lac price difference between current T-Jet (after discount) and new T-Jet (assuming 152Bhp price).
How many people would buy it is also questionable as Laura TSi seems to be struggling. Not to mention Petrol car.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2012, 13:25   #874
BHPian

Thanks to GTO's wonderful realistic review and karthikK 's feedback, I have taken delivery of the T-Jet+ this weekend. Car rode on ORR like a dream and as GTO mentions, the turbo is the most enjoyable part. Pics and detailed review soon !
rganeshiyer is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th July 2012, 14:08   #875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rganeshiyer View Post
Thanks to GTO's wonderful realistic review and karthikK 's feedback, I have taken delivery of the T-Jet+ this weekend. Car rode on ORR like a dream and as GTO mentions, the turbo is the most enjoyable part. Pics and detailed review soon !
Congratulations rganeshiyer!!!
Yes GTO's fantastic review is awesome as always. The pics by KarthikK bring out his passion for the car.
I see many T-bhpians buying the T-Jet recently. It feels good.
Bother to mention the colour.
carwatcher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2012, 14:34   #876
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think I misunderstood 1.6 MJD as 1.6 TJ.
Imagine this Brazil spec T-Jet is launched as 2012 T-Jet. I also remember reading post by sidindica on this very thread (or 2012 Linea and Punto thread) sometime back that there is a possibility of 17" alloy wheels in 2012 T-Jet. So I say that atleast 1% chance exists.
Otherwise how can Fiat justify the price difference of around 3-5 lac price difference between current T-Jet (after discount) and new T-Jet (assuming 152Bhp price).
How many people would buy it is also questionable as Laura TSi seems to be struggling. Not to mention Petrol car.
I doubt they will launch the 152bhp version here, Knowing our Indian mentality, all current owners will protest against this move and demand a free replacement. If they do it and even offer something like the optional ground clearance upgrade package for this, I will be the happiest. I can then retrofit the 152bhp map ECU on my Jet, and attain greater cruise altitude. Wishful thinking, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rganeshiyer View Post
congrats to both Ganesh and nkapoor777 for getting hold of the last few pieces of this amazing machine, Hope to see both your ownership reports shortly, looking forward to them.

Quote:
Bother to mention the colour.
I think he has bought the beautiful Tuscan Wine color, the only Wine T-Jet on team-BHP now? I think so.

Last edited by KarthikK : 9th July 2012 at 14:38.
KarthikK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2012, 16:01   #877
Senior - BHPian

So many new T-Jet Owners suddenly over the past 2 weeks. This is great to see, especially with petrol prices the way they are ! I sincerely hope Fiat decide to re-launch this once their own showrooms are up and running. It would be ever sweeter if they locally build this engine and back it up with some good marketing, although being a petrol would still limit sales.
Old 9th July 2012, 17:14   #878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The T-Jet (not +) was a sales dud. They ought to have thought about that before launching.
I wonder what Fiat is offering on T-Jets (non+ variant). They anyway were sale duds and are still lying in the yards. I have personally seen here in Goa a 2010 BNW T-Jet when I booked mine 5 months ago and won't be surprised if it is still there. Are Fiat upgrading the T-Jets to T-Jet+ or selling them with massive discounts.
Can anyone provide any concrete info.
IMO its a very very VFM offering considering the extra discounts, if Fiat is offering them apart from what they are already offering on T-Jet+.
Old 9th July 2012, 22:56   #879
BHPian

Quote:
I wonder what Fiat is offering on T-Jets (non+ variant). They anyway were sale duds and are still lying in the yards. I have personally seen here in Goa a 2010 BNW T-Jet when I booked mine 5 months ago and won't be surprised if it is still there. Are Fiat upgrading the T-Jets to T-Jet+ or selling them with massive discounts.
IMO its a very very VFM offering considering the extra discounts, if Fiat is offering them apart from what they are already offering on T-Jet+.
Hardly any T-jets at the factory left (I think 2 IIRC). I saw the stock list at the factory from a couple weeks ago. You get an additional 25-30k for that over the 2011 model discounts. Did hear about cars lying with dealers going for even lower prices, say 6.5 lakhs odd for 2010 T-jets. I was personally offered a few cars lying with various dealers in Delhi-NCR but steered away in spite of bargain basement prices. Opted to get mine direct from the factory.
Old 10th July 2012, 00:06   #880
BHPian

I am not very comfortable with the concept of T-jet+ being rechristened as Linea Petrol Emotion. T-jet+ has a very specific target segment and its owners will always prefer something that is exclusive. How many of us say we drive Linea? The ones I know, say I drive a T-jet or perhaps Linea T-jet. So making it Linea Emotion will just kill the brand T-jet (though they haven't done much to strengthen it). Fiat is really missing a trick or two with its marketing campaigns. Just one ad of T-jet (guy and his wifey/gf shopping) and that too, just focused on the aesthetics. Linea has always been a beautiful car and what really separates T-jet from a normal Linea is the engine. Did they even highlight the capabilities of that engine once?

There's so much that it can do in India with its great products and even greater brand (Maserati, Alfa-Romeo, at least every Indian knows Ferrari). Hope Fiat Caffe and the exclusive service center (it's probably opening around Aug 10) help it create the right platform for an extremely aggressive marketing campaign.

Meanwhile, all T-jetified souls can continue enjoying their ownership of this magnificent product.
Biraj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2012, 10:15   #881
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
True. So effectively, if I swap the ECU with the one available on the Brazilian T-Jet, or if I remap it to that spec, I should be having a close-to factory-finish setup with 152bhp on tap, without meddling with anything else on the mechanicals front. Again, this is keeping aside fuel quality differences here and warranty worries, just a wild thought passing through my head. The only difference I find with the Brazil spec T-Jet is 205/50R17 tyres instead of 205/55R16 on offer here.
You will have to do more than just an ECU swap. AFAIK, the Indian T-Jet's didn't come with the intercooler. You will have to add that. The ECU from Brazilian T-Jet might not work directly since it would tuned for a different country taking into account the climatic conditions and fuel quality amongst many others.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2012, 11:04   #882
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Are there any T-Jets at all?? The last I heard, there was no T-Jet here in Bangalore. There were only T-Jet+(s) leftover. I had gone with one of my friends a few months back when he was considering a petrol sedan purchase. The only remaining T-Jet (not +) in Prerana motors here was being used as a display vehicle in the showroom, for guests to climb in and out of it and feel the characteristic european door "thud" sounds *lol*. The sales guy would say "T-Jet+ is the same thing, with bigger tyres, alloys and full italian leather upholstery at 60k more". The customers (obviously enthusiasts) would instantly forget the T-Jet and opt for the T-Jet+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
You will have to do more than just an ECU swap. AFAIK, the Indian T-Jet's didn't come with the intercooler. You will have to add that. The ECU from Brazilian T-Jet might not work directly since it would tuned for a different country taking into account the climatic conditions and fuel quality amongst many others.
Thanks moralfibre. Actually one of our BHPian Tjet owners sandeepmohan said there was an intercooler in the the T-Jet, contrary to what was mentioned in the official review. He had even posted some pictures of it in some thread, but I'm not able to find it now. Anyway, even if an intercooler was there now, I suppose a 152 bhp version would require a larger intercooler. Also, I believe the turbocharger itself would be bigger for the 152bhp version, correct me if I'm wrong.

I agree with you now - so the swap is not as easy as it seems, there's more to this than what meets the eye. The fuel quality also is definitely far worse here I presume. There go my thoughts down the drain. At the very minimum, it would be an ECU swap + bigger turbo + bigger intercooler + customizing ECU settings for Indian climatic and fuel conditions. Perhaps I should discuss this whole thing elsewhere in another section .

Last edited by KarthikK : 10th July 2012 at 11:10.
Old 10th July 2012, 14:19   #883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are there any T-Jets at all?? The last I heard, there was no T-Jet here in Bangalore.
He had even posted some pictures of it in some thread, but I'm not able to find it now.
As I mentioned earlier I guess Fiat must be busy in converting/upgrading all these T-Jets to T-Jet+.

Yes, I was about to post the same. I just can't forget the title of Sandeepmohan's thread. It is titled 'Poor man's ultimate driving machine' which was sequel to his long thread titled 'Fiat Linea T-Jet - to buy or not - now bought'. As you may be aware, these threads are the primary reason behind the purchase of my T-Jet+. unfortunately they have not been updated since sometime.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2012, 14:29   #884
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes, I was about to post the same. I just can't forget the title of Sandeepmohan's thread. It is titled 'Poor man's ultimate driving machine' which was sequel to his long thread titled 'Fiat Linea T-Jet - to buy or not - now bought'. As you may be aware, these threads are the primary reason behind the purchase of my T-Jet+. unfortunately they have not been updated since sometime.
Oh yeah his thread is in my subscription list too . Long, interesting thread that one - one of the best ever threads in the 'what car?' section. carwatcher, he had uploaded some snaps of the intercooler in the T-Jet somewhere. I was referring to those. Are you aware of where that was put up? I can't seem to find those pictures at all now. Was it in his ownership thread or in this thread? Search results are somehow not showing those pictures.
Old 10th July 2012, 15:04   #885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
carwatcher, he had uploaded some snaps of the intercooler in the T-Jet somewhere. I was referring to those. Are you aware of where that was put up?
Can't post link as typing from mobile. Just check the very last line on page 2 and its reply on page 3 of the thread 'Poor man's Ultimate Driving Machine'.

Last edited by carwatcher : 10th July 2012 at 15:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks