Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2012, 11:11   #796
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Actually if that includes only insane driving, the efficiency doesn't look so bad. If you were cruising for some time at a relaxed pace, normal efficiency would be around 15-16 kmpl I guess. 11 kmpl is not so bad if you were on ghats, with insane driving and then very bad roads.
Hey Karthikk, thanks for the reply. Normally, while driving upwards of 160 kmph on boring roads (like krishnagiri-madurai HWY) I would get 13 kmpl at least. On the contrary, on the way to hassan from blr, I got 10.5 kmpl (u might well know the BLR-Hassan HWY), I did not cross 140 kmph anytime.

The 11.2 kmpl I mentioned was the overall figure.

Quote:
If this was a one-off case of coarseness, I guess it is fuel adulteration. Carbon deposits happen gradually and cannot manifest itself causing symptoms like this suddenly, unless the fuel was so hopelessly bad that it didn't even burn properly. Was the engine sounding different with knocking sounds? I know the T-jet engine is really silent but still
Engine was not knocking, but there was quite a good amount of harshness. I could even sense the harshness through steering wheel.

Quote:
P.S - I met sandeepmohan recently (we work out of the same tech park) and he was telling me that he was also facing a similar kind of reduced-thrust-effect lately on his jet. Perhaps he can add some more points from his experience too.
I need to ask him from where he is purchasing petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
You may check the following:
1) Colour of smoke. Once the car engine has reached the right temperature check if the smoke colour changes after the turbo cut-in rpm is crossed. Smoky exhaust - turbo prob.

2) Emission check - check emission reading and compare with previous readings. If there is a difference, you have a good reason to suspect fuel quality.
Colour of smoke might be a difficult thing to do, but emission seems to be a good option though.
Speed Pujari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2012, 22:00   #797
BHPian

Friends, need some help & guidance from you.

I had set off with my son in the T-Jet to the stickering shops at Wellington Plaza, GP Road, Chennai. Was planning to get black Prancing Horses stickers for the headlight covers & windshield film. Unfortunately, that was not to be.

The car stopped suddenly on the driveway and didn't start again when I attempted a couple of times. The instrument panel warning lights lit up at MAR key position but went off completely when cranked at AVV followed by a littled twitch of the speedo & rev counter needles. Blue & Me wasn't working too.

I called up Fiat's Roadside Assistance and asked them to send a crew over. It was a blazing hot day today and my son & I were getting upset with things not happening according to plan. Called up my wife & had her take him back home.

Fiat called up and set up a conference with their vendor in Chennai. They turned up shortly with a battery and jump started the car. They suggested keeping the car running to charge the battery and taking it the *** to have it checked up.

I dropped the stickering / film plan and drove back home. Decided to go for the drive planned as it would help in charging the battery and also help us escape the scheduled 2 hour power cuts. Drove up to the ECR toll plaza without AC and switched it on for the return trip. Switched the car off when we stopped for snacks at the Madras Kafe, Ispahani Centre. Car cranked as usual and we returned home. I noticed that the warning light had come on and it stayed on. Once back home I let the car run for little while before shutting it off. The car didn't start again with all the tell tale symptoms showing as they had did in the afternoon. Another thing I noticed was that the odometer reading kept flashing when the engine was on and wasn't steady. It remained so only when the engine was off.

I did a quick run through the manual and feel it could either be a problem with the battery or the Key Code.

Has someone faced similar problems or has suggestions on what the causes could be?

Rgds,

Siva
Old 14th April 2012, 22:15   #798
Senior - BHPian

ODO flashing is a typical sign of a weak battery. Go to TAFE and demand a new battery. If I were you, I would not have taken delivery with the old battery.
DRIV3R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2012, 21:06   #799
BHPian

I wouldn't have too but I couldn't let my dream car suffer with them any more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
ODO flashing is a typical sign of a weak battery. Go to TAFE and demand a new battery. If I were you, I would not have taken delivery with the old battery.
Old 16th April 2012, 11:34   #800
BHPian

When i got my car also the ODO meter was blinking. Went to the A.S.S and then they did "something" :-) and it was gone. They told me nothing serious.

About your other warning and the car not starting, get it checked.
Old 16th April 2012, 12:09   #801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
So while on the hassan highway I felt a little reduction in acceleration.
I faced this situation as recently as Saturday afternoon when I was driving to a friends place. It was a hot Saturday noon and the air conditioning was running. The engine cooling fan was spinning at top speed several times as I could hear it and feel the mild vibration filtering to the steering wheel. It was a long drive from cox town to btm. Now when I started off my journey, the car was responding like the way it should. The traffic was horrible and we very probably idling longer than moving. When I reached Koramangala via the inner ring road, I noticed the car has lost power. It does not want to accelerate. The turbo boost was next to nil. It felt as if the brakes were holding onto the car. The engine was not responding. This is the 2nd time I am noticing this and in both cases, the outside temperature was high. When this happens, my engines keeps missing as well. I can easily feel it if it rest my knee on the center console unit. The missing is felt on the steering wheel too but to a lesser extent.

Quote:
The car would just not respond no matter how much flooring I did.
This is exactly what I faced as recently as two days ago. It corrected itself after the car was parked for a few hours and the engine had cooled down. Power was back to normal and it stayed this way even after I drove back home.

Quote:
My question is, was it the fuel which affected the acceleration by such a heavy amount?
I highly doubt it. I fill from one IOC gas station regularly and it is the best in my neighborhood. My friends fill there, I tank up bike too and no complaints. Besides; if it really was the fuel, the problem should be there even on a cold engine. I take my car out every evening at around 630pm to pickup my wife. Traffic is horrible but temperatures are not so high and the car responds well throughout the journey.

Quote:
On the way back my car performed even worse when one Esteem literally tailed me at same speeds.
In this case, I would take a look at the fuel. Your car was probably left idle for one night, so the engine has cooled down and it should respond normal when you start her up again.

Quote:
I am planning to drive and empty the tank, fill in shell super to get some carbon deposits cleaned, fill in shell normal petrol and do a drag test.
Please do not drag the car. Drive her normally and you will know if everything is right. You don't need to rev past 3000rpm to know if all is well. At least, in my car, the rate at which the engine spins up to 3000rpm is like night and day when the problem is there.

The fuel efficiency of my car has taken a hit as well. My last tankful was a horrible 8.8kmpl. My next tankful is this evening and the car has not even run 280km. I have to admit that the driving has been only in peak traffic, ac running and I rarely turn off the engine even when waiting at a 100 second long signal.

I fill fuel from Akar Service Station, located below the Wheeler Road flyover and this is a proven pump. Not once in 8 years that I have been filling fuel from this gas station, has there ever been a problem. My previous car, a Ford Ikon, used to get her belly filled at Akar too. No problems at all.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 16th April 2012 at 12:15.
Old 16th April 2012, 16:47   #802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivasankar View Post
Has someone faced similar problems or has suggestions on what the causes could be?

Rgds,

Siva
Yes I had exactly the same issue in my Palio during the last days of Battery.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...hing-else.html

No matter how much I charge, it would not crank for more than 2 times.

Check the manufacturing date of battery, Exide is notoriously known for conking off after 2-2.5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I faced this situation as recently as Saturday afternoon when I was driving to a friends place.
Sandeep, there seems to be some issue in your car which needs immediate attention. But somehow the problem I had was not similar to the one you have mentioned.
The turbo kick was very much there, but somehow at high speeds (130+) the response was not great. Normally the car would just jump if I floor the pedal at 130 speeds.

Anyways, here is an update. I put my heart on fire and filled in Shell super (82 odd bucks for a lit) and checked the car. Took advice of guys here and did not drag the car.
After some 30 kms of usage the car was performing same at low speeds. Mind it that there was no issue at low speeds. Next early morning I took it for a spin to inner ring road. Floored at EGL and by that time I crossed the U turn which is like >700 mts from EGL (while going towards ejipura) I crossed 140 kmph, no drama, no high NVH, all smooth.

But I have noticed one thing, the turbo shoooo sound is more evident inside the cabin after the chikamagalur trip. It is so evident that I can exactly make out the rpm (1750 ish rpm) is where it sounds. The sounds fades away after crossin 2500 rpm ..

Is there anything I should get checked?

Last edited by Speed Pujari : 16th April 2012 at 16:49.
Old 16th April 2012, 17:07   #803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan

I faced this situation as recently as Saturday afternoon when I was driving to a friends place. It was a hot Saturday noon and the air conditioning was running. The engine cooling fan was spinning at top speed several times as I could hear it and feel the mild vibration filtering to the steering wheel. It was a long drive from cox town to btm. Now when I started off my journey, the car was responding like the way it should. The traffic was horrible and we very probably idling longer than moving. When I reached Koramangala via the inner ring road, I noticed the car has lost power. It does not want to accelerate. The turbo boost was next to nil. It felt as if the brakes were holding onto the car. The engine was not responding. This is the 2nd time I am noticing this and in both cases, the outside temperature was high. When this happens, my engines keeps missing as well. I can easily feel it if it rest my knee on the center console unit. The missing is felt on the steering wheel too but to a lesser extent.

This is exactly what I faced as recently as two days ago. It corrected itself after the car was parked for a few hours and the engine had cooled down. Power was back to normal and it stayed this way even after I drove back home.

I highly doubt it. I fill from one IOC gas station regularly and it is the best in my neighborhood. My friends fill there, I tank up bike too and no complaints. Besides; if it really was the fuel, the problem should be there even on a cold engine. I take my car out every evening at around 630pm to pickup my wife. Traffic is horrible but temperatures are not so high and the car responds well throughout the journey.

In this case, I would take a look at the fuel. Your car was probably left idle for one night, so the engine has cooled down and it should respond normal when you start her up again.

Please do not drag the car. Drive her normally and you will know if everything is right. You don't need to rev past 3000rpm to know if all is well. At least, in my car, the rate at which the engine spins up to 3000rpm is like night and day when the problem is there.

The fuel efficiency of my car has taken a hit as well. My last tankful was a horrible 8.8kmpl. My next tankful is this evening and the car has not even run 280km. I have to admit that the driving has been only in peak traffic, ac running and I rarely turn off the engine even when waiting at a 100 second long signal.

I fill fuel from Akar Service Station, located below the Wheeler Road flyover and this is a proven pump. Not once in 8 years that I have been filling fuel from this gas station, has there ever been a problem. My previous car, a Ford Ikon, used to get her belly filled at Akar too. No problems at all.
Hi, I have a very similar issue in my MJD and have started a thread on it in the "Under the Hood" section. Transient power loss, followed by increased exhaust and fuel efficiency drop. Will be getting the car checked by TASS. Could you do the same and let us know if they can find something?
Old 16th April 2012, 20:55   #804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sandeep, there seems to be some issue in your car which needs immediate attention.

Is there anything I should get checked?
No.

I find this strange. The description you gave about your car, during your road trip is similar to what I faced. Low lugging power.

I got back home an hour ago after the wife pickup trip. Car was responding as it should. Rocket launch acceleration.

My scheduled service is some way off and I will attend to it only when it is time. If the service center was closer to home, I found have considered going there sooner. It is just too far out.

I tanked up and fuel efficiency down to just 8kmpl.

I would like you to try a chock a block stretch of road in the afternoon heat and then tell me how the car is responding. Off course, you need to drive a little in these conditions before the results show up or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
Could you do the same and let us know if they can find something?
Sure. My first service is some way to go, so this will be some time before I come back to you with a response.
Old 16th April 2012, 23:33   #805
BHPian

What transpired today -

Called up salesperson Ms. Lavanya and explained about the battery failure. She messaged me the contact number of the Service Manager at the workshop and said she will inform me about my problem. But when I called, he replied that she hadn't called him and said the usual process was to have vehicle jump-started and brought to the service station to be kept for 2 days. Exide would be called again to test it and give a failure report which would be used to replace the battery. I conveyed that I didn't find this option agreeable as the car needed not be taken to a workshop for this minor problem.

Called up the salesperson and told her to put herself in my shoes and imagine how despondent one would feel if their new possession was taken away. She promised to help me out but didn't attend 4 of my calls thereafter. In between she sent this sms, quoted verbatim - 'Sir pls call.9962507000 ,our tafe 24x7 numb.they will tope the veh to w.shop .' Gentlemen, words failed me then! And this must have left you all speechless too!!! Talking to her is

I recollected that I had the contact number of the dealership's AGM, Mr. Krishnan's number and rang him up. He took the call in the afternoon after intermittent attempts since morning and listened to my complaint. He advised me to write an email on the issue to his Gmail ID (strange TAFE doesn't have its own Email server in this age) so that he can take the matter up with TATA Motors. He has committed to solve the issue by the morning session tomorrow. Here's the email I wrote to him today -

Dear Mr. Krishnan,

Thank you very much for hearing out my grievance on the battery failure in my new Fiat Linea T-Jet and assuring me of your action. I had emailed to 'trlkrishnan16@gmail.com' twice earlier. Am sending this again lest the previous mails had been delivered to the Spam Box.

This is with reference to the following car which I had purchased with immense pride. The car has to be jump started by Fiat's Mobile crew and brought home after it stopped on a busy road last Saturday. I have been unable to use as it hasn't cranked since.

Model - Fiat Linea T-Jet
Registration No. - TN 06 F 4641
VIN No. - MCA11041E09025444CMZ
Date of Delivery / Purchase - 6th April 2012

The battery had a problem even when I came to first see the vehicle in the showroom. It was down on charge but the salespeople insisted that it will hold well if charged for a day and refused my request for a new one for the delivery.

I had the battery checked by Exide Bat Service afternoon yesterday and they have put the problem down to battery failure.

I'm being put thru a lot of heartburn when I called Lavanya for an immediate replacement with a fresh battery. I've been told that the car would be towed to the service centre and kept under observation for 2 days. I'm quite sure you understand how a new car owner would feel.

Seek your support in getting a new battery so that I can enjoy my Linea and be satisfied with being a client of TAFE Reach, Chennai.

Best regards,

S Sivasankar
Old 17th April 2012, 06:55   #806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivasankar
What transpired today -
But when I called, he replied that she hadn't called him and said the usual process was to have vehicle jump-started and brought to the service station to be kept for 2 days.
Siva - this is the typical Concorde government office. My 6 year Indica ownership taught me that the only way to get things done is to shout.

Please do not agree to leave your baby in the workshop. 2 days will become 4. They may add some scratches to the car free of cost.

You can say you will leave the defective battery with them. Let them swap the battery from their test drive Linea till the issue gets resolved.
Old 17th April 2012, 07:51   #807
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The battery had a problem even when I came to first see the vehicle in the showroom. It was down on charge but the salespeople insisted that it will hold well if charged for a day and refused my request for a new one for the delivery.

I had the battery checked by Exide Bat Service afternoon yesterday and they have put the problem down to battery failure.
Battery problems with a 1 week old T-Jet!! This is ridiculous. I suggest you demand a battery replacement immediately, on warranty. You cannot have a 1 week-old car dying out in the middle of nowhere due to battery issues.

Siva, you should not have taken delivery of the car when there was a dead battery in it. The salesmen will always refuse when we demand such things. It would have been better to blackmail them at purchase time and say you will take a refund and buy your car elsewhere, in a better place where they are willing to cooperate. I suggest you to not pay a penny from your pocket for this debacle. Escalate this matter to some of the head honchos at Fiat by sending them an email about this whole saga, perhaps keeping this concorde guys in cc. Mention to your dealers that you are in touch with some of the biggies in Fiat and notice if their body language changes.

As autocrat said, don't leave it in the workshop, more so because yours is a black color one which loves displaying scratches. They may whack a few components also in the process if left in the workshop.

Last edited by KarthikK : 17th April 2012 at 07:53.
Old 17th April 2012, 09:30   #808
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Friends, need some help & guidance from you.

The car stopped suddenly on the driveway and didn't start again when I attempted a couple of times. ......
....I did a quick run through the manual and feel it could either be a problem with the battery or the Key Code.

Rgds,
Siva
Quote:
What transpired today -

S Sivasankar

Siva, I am sure your battery was at the verge of dying out on you when you picked up your car. Remember my post here.

Quote:
...I wouldn't settle for a charged battery either. Make sure that the battery holds charge for a day before you take delivery because an old unused battery could fail unconditionally after delivery and they'll raise their hands saying its none of their business.

Hope you get a replacement from them and ensure that you get a brand new battery with bill and warranty card stamped by the dealer. Don't let them get away with this. Alternative would be to call up Exide Bat mobile service and check if they could replace the battery under warranty.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 11:15   #809
Senior - BHPian

After reading so much, I too suspect my battery is weak. My car was also standing in some stockyard for 6 months. Why do I suspect this? Here are some observations apart from the loss in power syndrome my cars suffers from when the engine is revved hard or if driven in traffic for extended period in hot weather conditions.

I do a chock a block 14 km drive every evening at 630pm from Cox Town - Indranagar and back home. This trip takes an hour. For those of you familiar with Bangalore, will easily be able to tell the driving conditions on this route at the time I leave. No scope of even 4th gear. 3rd is held for a few seconds before I have to shift back to 2nd again. Long idle time at a traffic light. My average speed must be around 11Kmph.

During this journey, a few things have happened and some observed.

The Air conditioning blower unit momentarily turns off and comes back on. The display light on the climate control panel is lit but the blower is not functioning. The blower comes back on after about a couple of seconds.

This will surprise you. Alternator whine can be heard from the front left car speaker in the rpm range of idle - 1500rpm. I can hear it but the passengers have yet to say that they heard anything. It is very faint. The whine comes and goes.

When I reach home and am about to park the car, I notice the Climate Controls display panel light and parking lights flickering in order of the engine idle speed. No other light is flickering. The flickering is mild but can be noticed. To understand this better, on many motorcycles, the headlamp power is directly connected to how much rpm your engine is spinning at. Now when you hold high rpm's the flickering is almost gone. However, there is a point where the light is at its brightest at a said rpm, anything below that rpm and you notice a flicker in relation to the engine rpm. That is how the flickering appears on my car.

These were observed only in traffic. Out on the highway, there is no hint of the problem.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 17th April 2012 at 11:18.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 12:09   #810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
When I reach home and am about to park the car, I notice the Climate Controls display panel light and parking lights flickering in order of the engine idle speed. No other light is flickering. The flickering is mild but can be noticed. To understand this better, on many motorcycles, the headlamp power is directly connected to how much rpm your engine is spinning at. Now when you hold high rpm's the flickering is almost gone. However, there is a point where the light is at its brightest at a said rpm, anything below that rpm and you notice a flicker in relation to the engine rpm. That is how the flickering appears on my car.
I think this almost certainly implies that your battery is running low and may need a charge. I haven't seen this kind of a thing in my Ikon even when the battery is low and I had to push start the car. Good observation with the flickering of the lights, and a better explanation with the example of a motorcycle.
Ford5 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks