Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2010, 21:39   #481
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

^^ drivers side mirror? we have mirrors on all cars on drivers side here in india
Old 22nd December 2010, 21:44   #482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
^^ drivers side mirror? we have mirrors on all cars on drivers side here in india
The car might have been involved in a small accident and I guess, that explains why the driver side mirror is missing!

Anyway, I'm looking forward for a detailed TD report by CPH!
Old 22nd December 2010, 21:52   #483
Senior - BHPian

looks like CPH is seriously considering setting up base in India.
Don't forget the people down south also have passion for fiats
This actually struck me.
Since the Indian Fiats(current gen linea and punto) suffer from tall gearing and other limitations which restrict performance.
Maybe modification's (at a modest price ofcourse) can be done to enhance the performance and make it similar to the euro fiat's? (not the usual tuning boxes and the remaps, well could use them as an addition later).
I may be sounding unrealistic here..
Old 22nd December 2010, 22:14   #484
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Indian Fiats suffer from mismatched short gearing, not Tall gearing.
Old 29th December 2010, 17:08   #485
Senior - BHPian

Just got the Jan issue of Overdrive and in their test of all performance cars under 10L, this is a part of what they had to say about the Linea T-Jet -- "... However, like all Fiat's, the Linea's steering doesn't provide enough feedback and the feel is a bit lifeless..."

Among all the cars sold in India today, Fiat's have one of the best steerings in terms of feedback and is anything but lifeless. This is crazy.
Old 29th December 2010, 17:16   #486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Just got the Jan issue of Overdrive and in their test of all performance cars under 10L, this is a part of what they had to say about the Linea T-Jet -- "... However, like all Fiat's, the Linea's steering doesn't provide enough feedback and the feel is a bit lifeless..."

Among all the cars sold in India today, Fiat's have one of the best steerings in terms of feedback and is anything but lifeless. This is crazy.
the test driver must've been totally drunk I assume!! There's nothing that beats the handling of the current Fiat's, period!!!
Old 29th December 2010, 17:31   #487
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I would have laughed on this if this was published in some newspaper article or some lifestyle magazine. Overdrive is proper car magazine(AFAIK #2 in sales figures in India), thousands of people take their reviews seriously, they need to hire some genuine petrolheads who know the cars inside out. This is what we get in the name of professional reviews.

Last edited by .anshuman : 29th December 2010 at 17:36.
Old 29th December 2010, 20:13   #488
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I would have laughed on this if this was published in some newspaper article or some lifestyle magazine. Overdrive is proper car magazine(AFAIK #2 in sales figures in India), thousands of people take their reviews seriously, they need to hire some genuine petrolheads who know the cars inside out. This is what we get in the name of professional reviews.
Exactly! I guess most of them have their own 'favourites'. I have noticed this in one of the youtube video from odmag - one of their senior correspondent reviewing the Linea (when it was launched). He was showing the blue&me feature, called some number and got an engaged tone from the other side. The immediate comment was "well, it doesn't work".
Well, anyway we've Team-BHP
Old 30th December 2010, 11:39   #489

I guess there was no 'life' left in the steering once Chandok drove it on the track. Those demo/test cars are ill treated anyway.
Old 30th December 2010, 18:42   #490
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
In theory you have, but the test car didn't. Why the dealer would allow a test drive with an incomplete car is beyond me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
The car might have been involved in a small accident and I guess, that explains why the driver side mirror is missing!

Anyway, I'm looking forward for a detailed TD report by CPH!
The test report will be completed soon. I have to do a bit more testing with it. Driving it for a few km on the crowded roads trying to go as quick as possible through the traffic with a missing mirror is not the experience I expected. The car felt firm. I do like the steering. At least in this car I felt connected to the road. The bottom line is that the Linea T-Jet can do with a lot more power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
looks like CPH is seriously considering setting up base in India.
Don't forget the people down south also have passion for fiats
This actually struck me.

It is already done (the legal part) and I am soon down South.
Since the Indian Fiats(current gen linea and punto) suffer from tall gearing and other limitations which restrict performance.
Maybe modification's (at a modest price ofcourse) can be done to enhance the performance and make it similar to the euro fiat's? (not the usual tuning boxes and the remaps, well could use them as an addition later).
I may be sounding unrealistic here..
Old 30th December 2010, 19:51   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Just got the Jan issue of Overdrive and in their test of all performance cars under 10L, this is a part of what they had to say about the Linea T-Jet -- "... However, like all Fiat's, the Linea's steering doesn't provide enough feedback and the feel is a bit lifeless...".
I'm going to stick my neck out in this thread (again), and I hope you all can accept some diversity in opinions expressed here (which is what a forum is all about), and will not ask me to go away. Not all "negative" or critical opinions need be attributed to malicious intent.

I too felt that the steering lacked feel and felt weak. And I've test driven the Linea on five separate occasions, once for an extended distance. I had my heart and my money set on buying it, of-course. But then, all my experience has been with driving a car with one of the heaviest of steering "feels" (Astra), and also with the Swift, which isn't too bad, considering everything.
Old 30th December 2010, 20:19   #492
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenMonk View Post
I'm going to stick my neck out in this thread (again), and I hope you all can accept some diversity in opinions expressed here (which is what a forum is all about), and will not ask me to go away. Not all "negative" or critical opinions need be attributed to malicious intent.

I too felt that the steering lacked feel and felt weak. And I've test driven the Linea on five separate occasions, once for an extended distance. I had my heart and my money set on buying it, of-course. But then, all my experience has been with driving a car with one of the heaviest of steering "feels" (Astra), and also with the Swift, which isn't too bad, considering everything.
The feel is always subjective. In some countries they like it one way and in others the other way. P eople learn to drive on cars with different feel and they will judge acccordingly.
Old 30th December 2010, 21:01   #493
BHPian

The steering of Linea isn't that great at low speeds.
To know the real fun, take the car on curves at say 100 kmph. Or try taking a U turn at 40 kmph.
After trying this stunt on a linea, try doing the same on a swift or a hyundai or city. You'll get to know the difference.

But again I have already mentioned this, the Linea suspension are better to give a grip on curves, but the steering feel is not at all better than the Palio.
Old 31st December 2010, 10:06   #494
BHPian

Got a FIAT branded mug as compliment when i went to test drive the TJet.

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-dsc00984.jpg

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-dsc00983.jpg
Old 31st December 2010, 10:20   #495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
^^ Indian Fiats suffer from mismatched short gearing, not Tall gearing.
T-Jet has pretty tall fifth gear. That is one major reason I would look at this car when I change the current one. I like a relaxed highway cruiser, rather than one that screams. Couple that with the massive torque early one, guess it meets my requirement.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks