Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2017, 12:04   #2971
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
To all tjet owners here,

I have 2013 jet with 17K odd kms done. My car always seems to struggle whenever the outside temperature hits 30c plus. This time the difference was pronounced as I had spent the weekend in Ooty, 5 people plus a full boot, yet i never struggled in the hills, had plenty of power. Yet while coming down and we had to head to the CBE airport directly from metupalayam, I had a tough time overtaking vehicles in the plains. The 3rd gear seemed to be very sluggish and accceleration beyond 80 was slow and the engine sounded harsh.

Hope to reach a solution on this soon ! looking forward to your replies!
The T-Jet engine thrives on colder air and can sometimes seem sluggish when temperatures are high. Nonetheless, a few things you can check at your end are:

1. All piping relating to the air intake. Check if any of the pipes are twisted or constricted. Also examine for loose piping. Many a times the service centre guys adopt the easier method for changing the oil filter and approach it from the top-side than from the bottom. In this process they sometimes tend to dislodge things, especially the bellow pipes leading into the intercooler. Check if the clips and fasteners are tight.

2. Near the turbo housing, there is a pressure regulator which is fixed just below the piping from the coolant reservoir. Just follow the piping from the turbo's compressor side. You will see three pipes from the regulator - check those for any cracks or twisting. Especially the one with a blue sticker on it. In my case, the genuises from the service centre knocked it off its housing while changing the oil filter and it was left dangling for some time until I got it fastened to the coolant pipe with some cable ties.

3. Visually check if your intercooler is clogged with dirt from the outside. If yes, use pressurized water/air to clean it. Your intercooler is a rectangular unit right behind the bottom most portion of the front bumper. It is located just behind the bumper ahead of the radiator and condensor.

4. As a last resort, leave the battery disconnected overnight to reset the ECU so that it can start adapting to your driving style again.

5. Check your air filter to see if it is clogged. If yes, clean or replace.

Keep us posted.
thedragula is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2017, 12:12   #2972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
That is similar to my experience with Linea Tjet at Coimbatore. When the weather is cool, the car is amazingly smooth with a great engine response and the same cannot be said when the weather becomes hot. A couple of things seem to help in improving things:
1. Remap - went ahead with the Wolfmoto remap and the car is super responsive with much smoother acceleration in almost all weather conditions
2. This might sound weird, but when I started using Full Auto AC things started feeling a little smoother in terms of engine response/noise compared to running the AC in manual setting.
Would like to know about the wolf moto remap.

Where did you do? How much time it would take to install? If you dont mind, kindly share the cost
Old 18th February 2017, 13:26   #2973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shijinpr View Post
Would like to know about the wolf moto remap.

Where did you do? How much time it would take to install? If you dont mind, kindly share the cost

An installer from Wolfmoto installed the remap at my residence and it took around an hour to install. It costed 25k. Let me know if you need more info
ece2k2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2017, 18:11   #2974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
An installer from Wolfmoto installed the remap at my residence and it took around an hour to install. It costed 25k. Let me know if you need more info
Are the maps switchable? My car is still under warranty and wanted to know if i could switch the maps to stock before giving the car for service.

Code 6 is quoting 28k here but they don't have switchable maps.

Did they dyno the car?
Old 18th February 2017, 21:33   #2975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Are the maps switchable? My car is still under warranty and wanted to know if i could switch the maps to stock before giving the car for service.
Wolfmoto's maps are switchable. Warranty can be an issue if the service centre finds out about the remap. Can they? Well, yes, they can find the map if they want to. Will they? No chance I say. Before handing the car to them you can switch it to the factory map and nobody can guess. Even with the sportier maps nobody will bother noticing the higher acceleration, trust me on this, they are too busy to notice such things. I am running my car on the single map ToT did and the car has gone for service after that, no problem faced whatsoever.
About the dyno, even you won't consider getting it done if you get your car remapped. Numbers are not to be bothered about. You will get more acceleration than you need and that will just do.
itsashishsharma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2017, 17:29   #2976
BHPian

Hi guys. Though I have been a silent spectator mostly, this is about a good time to give an update. I have a 2011 Tjet, done about 58k till date.
Was considering a new car buy due to various factors, including a very bad resale price for an extremely good car, decided to keep it and do some upgrades.

The first of those upgrades came in today with a ECU remap from Wolfmoto. Am still to test out the whole setup entirely. But so far there has been a smile on my face all the way from 1.5k to 3k rom, no matter what gear! The torque is comfortable and significant at the same time.

Now a small query. Rajeev from wolfmoto pointed out that the Turbo solenoid was left dangling by the SC guys and we couldn't find hoe or where to secure it. Could any of you check your engine bay and perhaps send a photo or an indication of where it is normally placed. The SC is a little far and I am lazy so thought will work on it myself I I get an idea of what to do ��
palitrana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2017, 19:38   #2977
BHPian

Quote:
To all tjet owners here,

I have 2013 jet with 17K odd kms done. My car always seems to struggle whenever the outside temperature hits 30c plus. This time the difference was pronounced as I had spent the weekend in Ooty, 5 people plus a full boot, yet i never struggled in the hills, had plenty of power. Yet while coming down and we had to head to the CBE airport directly from metupalayam, I had a tough time overtaking vehicles in the plains. The 3rd gear seemed to be very sluggish and accceleration beyond 80 was slow and the engine sounded harsh.
Just back from Ooty, and yes the Jet loves cool air but you shouldn't be having a problem passing traffic in the plains, and that too in 3rd !!! I rarely had to go down to 3rd even with 3 fully grown men and stuffed boot to pass traffic. I wasn't doing over 100-110, and the max I needed was a drop to 4th if space was tight, otherwise 5th had enough torque to pull me through (I have a Wolf Re-mapped Jet). I just found it was easier to drive the car if I kept it within 1800-3500 rpm, as it produces a lot less shove towards the top end of its power band, relatively speaking.

As thedragula suggested, do some self diagnosis to see if the problem is fixed, if not I would show it to FASS at the earliest.

In the hills I was pretty much always in 3rd when going up-hill and a combination of 2nd and 3rd going downhill. Sigur ghat was 2nd both ways, and since the car has no engine braking to talk about I had to judiciously use the brakes on the way down.

Trip Distance : ~700 km including about 100km in the hills
Ave Fuel Economy : 13 kmpl MID
keroo1099 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2017, 20:33   #2978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by palitrana View Post
Could any of you check your engine bay and perhaps send a photo or an indication of where it is normally placed.
Here are some images of the turbo solenoid and its location, circled red. It is mounted on the radiator fan shroud.
Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-p10406650101.jpg

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-p1040666.jpg

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-p1040667.jpg

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-p1040668.jpg

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-p1040669.jpg

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-p1040670.jpg

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-p1040671.jpg

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-p1040672.jpg
sandeepmohan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th February 2017, 20:49   #2979
BHPian

[quote=sandeepmohan;4149330]Here are some images of the turbo solenoid and its location, circled red. It is mounted on the radiator fan shroud.

Thanks Sandeep! Will check if the fastening mechanism is still there. Seems like a bolt on set up here.
Old 19th February 2017, 20:59   #2980
BHPian

Quote:
I have 2013 jet with 17K odd kms done. My car always seems to struggle whenever the outside temperature hits 30c plus.
I too have a 2013 T-Jet. In 2015, I experienced this problem multiple times in the city at midday in peak summer in bad stop-&-go traffic; the engine seems to lose all power and struggles to even move the car. At the same time, there is a lot of additional noise that starts along with a little vibration. This goes on for about a minute or 45 seconds, then everything becomes normal. Has happened twice in a 5-minute period sometimes.

I brought this up with Fiat AS, but they couldn't identify why this was happening. The problem has not recurred since, so I don't know what it was due to.

One possibility: the radiator fan going bersek trying to cool the engine. But you were at highway speeds, so the incoming rush of air would have been more powerful than the radiator fan.

Or it could be the A/C struggling to cool the cabin going into bersek mode and sucking all the engine power.

Puzzling.
TheTeacher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 09:17   #2981
Senior - BHPian

The hot weather syndrome is an inherent issue with the T Jet engine. I attribute this problem to the poor air intake plumbing. The air intake is behind the right headlamp assembly. There is no way for cool air to reach that area. Everything around this area generates heat. The radiator, the turbocharger, the headers and the engine itself. All this heat has to dissipate somewhere and when you are not moving, it makes matters worse. In bumper to bumper traffic, the engine is pulling in hot air circulating within the engine bay. This will lead to air starvation for the engine and turbo, and the air is also thin at higher temperatures. Off course, in this situation, it does help to have the radiator fan running as it will ventilate the area. Loss of power on the highway isn't as pronounced as there is cool air entering the engine bay through the radiator and wherever else but the problem is still there, it does not completely go away. There are times I've felt zero boost from the Turbo and this is also the time the car drinks a lot of fuel. It feels like the 1.4l NA engine. For those who have driven a Punto/Linea with this engine, you will agree to this. I guess its the ECU cutting boost or doing something when there is excess heat build up in the engine bay.

The radiator fan going in to whirlwind mode has more to do with the A/C than cooling the engine.

I never got to doing this but did suggest this in a earlier post. The air intake arrangement seen on the Multi Jet engine is much better. The intake feeder is right in front, where the bonnet meets the grill. This acts a little bit like a ram air intake system and permits cooler air when stuck in traffic. I'd like to think there is an almost 50 degree difference between air being pulled in with this arrangement versus the last mile air intake hose seen on the T Jet.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 20th February 2017 at 09:23.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 11:49   #2982
Senior - BHPian

Here is the air box assembly for a 2006-2010 Grande Punto Turbo. Looks identical to the air box on our Linea/Punto T Jet except that, the end hose is missing. This end hose alone can make a world of a difference to intake air temperature.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1422645379...797&rmvSB=true

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-airintakeassembly.jpg

The instruction manual to fit a K&N cold air intake system to a 2011 Fiat Punto Evo Turbo shows a part that you don't find on our cars. Either Fiat missed this part or felt it was not required, which I feel was a big mistake. The part you see is stock Fiat part being removed to facilitate the fitting of a K&N CAI system.

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-airintakeassembly2.jpg

A small modification that can be done with the assistance of FASS.

http://www.99rpm.com/fiat/air-cleane...mjd-linea.html

The part labeled Snorkel/Pre Filter Hose and Bracket is probably a start to mount the intake post which you will have to use a flexible intake hose to connect it to the air box.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 20th February 2017 at 11:58.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 11:55   #2983
BHPian

The poor air intake on the Jet got me thinking and doing some searching on the net. The link below is an interesting way to tackle the problem but don't know how effective the solution is. This chap is trying to feed cold air to his K&N cone filter, but one could just do the piping bit and connect directly to the stock air box. One could also take air from the underbody (don't know if this would work) by cutting a hole in horizontal plastic bit at 1:06 on the video if you don't want to make ha hole in the bumper.

Again, the CAI has to be properly designed or it might just might make your air/fuel ratio go haywire.

https://www.redline360.com/garage/co...hich-is-better
keroo1099 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2017, 12:03   #2984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedragula View Post
The T-Jet engine thrives on colder air and can sometimes seem sluggish when temperatures are high. Nonetheless, a few things you can check at your end are:

1. All piping relating to the air intake. Check if any of the pipes are twisted or constricted. Also examine for loose piping. Many a times the service centre guys adopt the easier method for changing the oil filter and approach it from the top-side than from the bottom. In this process they sometimes tend to dislodge things, especially the bellow pipes leading into the intercooler. Check if the clips and fasteners are tight.

2. Near the turbo housing, there is a pressure regulator which is fixed just below the piping from the coolant reservoir. Just follow the piping from the turbo's compressor side. You will see three pipes from the regulator - check those for any cracks or twisting. Especially the one with a blue sticker on it. In my case, the genuises from the service centre knocked it off its housing while changing the oil filter and it was left dangling for some time until I got it fastened to the coolant pipe with some cable ties.

3. Visually check if your intercooler is clogged with dirt from the outside. If yes, use pressurized water/air to clean it. Your intercooler is a rectangular unit right behind the bottom most portion of the front bumper. It is located just behind the bumper ahead of the radiator and condensor.

4. As a last resort, leave the battery disconnected overnight to reset the ECU so that it can start adapting to your driving style again.

5. Check your air filter to see if it is clogged. If yes, clean or replace.

Keep us posted.
Will go through all the points when I am with the car, and will try to check with the SVC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Here are some images of the turbo solenoid and its location, circled red. It is mounted on the radiator fan shroud.
Attachment 1610331

Attachment 1610332

Attachment 1610333

Attachment 1610334

Attachment 1610335

Attachment 1610336

Attachment 1610337

Attachment 1610338
Thanks for the detailed images. Helps a lot!
Old 25th February 2017, 13:11   #2985
BHPian

Took delivery of the 125S and managed to stall it right in the dealer premises. Then many times in dense traffic and atleast 30 times approximately in the 600 kms that I have driven it. Forget the idling rule with turbo car, here I have to restart it in heavy traffic before the warning lights go away. Is this some serious issue or just that I need to get used to the car? If this is normal then the 125S is not at all good for city use. My background is of a diesel car with good low end torque and superb city drivability
prokinetic is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks