Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2013, 07:43   #1966
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

New Fiat Linea Coming in 2015.

Quote:
The size of the sedan will be pretty much the same, but Fiat engineers will try try to bring costs down so they can offer a really affordable car.
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/ne...015-70253.html
Old 5th November 2013, 08:11   #1967
BHPian

Hi guys,

My T-Jet has been just over a year. Since the last couple of days, when I first start the car in the morning, the car vibrates and something seems to be vibrating under the bonnet (?turbo/engine) and the revs go up to 1200 for a few seconds before settling down. Is that normal? Or due to fuel (I have been "smelling" the fuel a bit more after my recent tankful) ? It never happened before. Or is it the change in temperature (winter)? It did not happen last winter as well.

Waiting for your input guys.

Last edited by johy : 5th November 2013 at 08:15.
Old 5th November 2013, 08:17   #1968
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Hi guys,

My T-Jet has been just over a year. Since the last couple of days, when I first start the car in the morning, the car vibrates and something seems to be vibrating under the bonnet (?turbo) and the revs go up to 1200 for a few seconds before settling down. Is that normal? Or due to fuel (I have been "smelling" the fuel a bit more after my recent tankful) ? It never happened before.

The revs will go to 1200 on cold starts and settle down at 800rpm after a couple of minutes of 'warming up'. This is normal for a T-Jet, and in fact has been happening for me since Day 1, June 2011.

The vibration bit I would be interested in knowing more about, if its not due to the warmup phase high revs. Could you post a video of it?? It could be a case of adulterated fuel too; try switching to fuel from a bigger / more decent bunk and check if the behaviour persists.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 08:20   #1969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,

My T-Jet has been just over a year. Since the last couple of days, when I first start the car in the morning, the car vibrates and something seems to be vibrating under the bonnet (?turbo/engine) and the revs go up to 1200 for a few seconds before settling down. Is that normal? Or due to fuel (I have been "smelling" the fuel a bit more after my recent tankful) ? It never happened before. Or is it the change in temperature (winter)? It did not happen last winter as well.

Did your car take a recent underbody hit/scraping?

It can be the engine/oil sump protector pate for the vibrations.

After a cold start, it is normal for a fuel injected petrol car to hold on to ~+400 rpms to aid faster warming up. Not sure how it is on the T Jet though.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 08:28   #1970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Did your car take a recent underbody hit/scraping?

It can be the engine/oil sump protector pate for the vibrations.

After a cold start, it is normal for a fuel injected petrol car to hold on to ~+400 rpms to aid faster warming up. Not sure how it is on the T Jet though.
No hits bud. The vibration lasts for 4-5 seconds, but it is strong enough to feel it in the car. As it did not do it last winter, I was sort of thinking what might be causing it. Otherwise, the car runs fine.

Will try to post a video.

Last edited by johy : 5th November 2013 at 08:30.
Old 5th November 2013, 08:31   #1971
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No hits bud. The vibration lasts for 4-5 seconds, but it is strong enough to feel it in the car. As it did not do it last winter, I was sort of thinking what might be causing it. Otherwise, the car runs fine.
The vibrations seem to be odd then.

How far is the car from the next service?

If it is only the vibes, without any accompanying noises, my next suspect would be the one of the engine mounts.

Where do you feel the vibes? Steering wheel? A, B, C pedals?

Also, I hope all this is with the ACC off?
Old 5th November 2013, 10:22   #1972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
The vibrations seem to be odd then.

How far is the car from the next service?

If it is only the vibes, without any accompanying noises, my next suspect would be the one of the engine mounts.

Where do you feel the vibes? Steering wheel? A, B, C pedals?

Also, I hope all this is with the ACC off?

Service is not going to be before 15000 kms; it is done only close to 7 k now.

The entire car actually vibrates, but the vibration originates from the engine compartment. But it only happens on the morning start and not subsequently. If it were the mounts, it should happen on subsequent starts as well, wouldn't it?

No vibration at all while driving.

ACC is off.
Old 5th November 2013, 10:49   #1973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The entire car actually vibrates, but the vibration originates from the engine compartment. But it only happens on the morning start and not subsequently. If it were the mounts, it should happen on subsequent starts as well, wouldn't it?

ACC is off.
Going by your description it is hard to make out the issue buddy. Please visit the nearest FASS and get it evaluated.

On a side note, the 2nd service is at either 15k kms or 1 year, whichever is earlier.
Old 5th November 2013, 19:08   #1974
Senior - BHPian

There is nothing wrong with your car. This is absolutely normal behaviour for an engine. At cold start the ECU injects a richer fuel+air mix to help the engine warm up without much strain. This results in more powerful combustion cycles which show up as higher vibrations. Further the revs are increased too to aid in quicker warm up, which again add up to the vibes. As the engine oil & the block itself attain working temperature the mix becomes leaner and the revs too are reduced by the ECU down to normal levels thereby reducing the vibrations to a normal/acceptable level.

It is a good practice to allow the vehicle to warm up (similar to an athlete stretching and warming up prior to a race) before engaging gears and beginning the drive.

Quote:

ACC is off.
Old 7th November 2013, 22:44   #1975
Senior - BHPian

But i would still advise that you make a note of it and show it when you go to the workshop next. In my experience the engine should actually not shudder when at higher rev's while warming up. Do you experience it when the engine is at 1200 , while like others have mentioned is normal , or when the needle starts coming down to the normal idle rev range?
Old 8th November 2013, 12:08   #1976
BHPian

Well my T-Jet is 22 days old and its almost ready for the first service of 5000 kms. The odo currently stands at 4500.

THe car has been excellent in this short span of time and inspires confidence for the driver. I did a rpm based run-in for around 1500 kms and then the beast was let loose.

The only problem i have is there is a vroom sound at 80-100 kmph at around 2K rpm in 5th gear. AM guessing that its a resonant frequency effect because somethhing is loose. The sound is negligible in 0-70 and upwards of 100. Any pointers as to what might be wrong?

Last edited by moralfibre : 8th November 2013 at 12:42. Reason: Please do not post top speeds on the forum. Thanks!
Old 9th November 2013, 11:32   #1977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKis View Post
The only problem i have is there is a vroom sound at 80-100 kmph at around 2K rpm in 5th gear. ..... Any pointers as to what might be wrong?
Hi Jaykis, glad to see you are enjoying your T-Jet.

The vrooom or whoosh sound is the T in the T-Jet (Turbo) spooling up.

You need not worry about it as long as their are no undue vibrations, black smoke or loss of power accompanied with the sound.

Just relax and enjoy the sound of that Turbo and the aftereffects!!
PGNarain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2013, 11:44   #1978
BHPian

I will be midst of a long trip when the Jet touches 5k for the first service.
Is it ok to get the first service done when its around 6k+ mark?
Do i need to inform the service centre folks that by the time am back from my trip, the car would be around 6k mark?
Anything that i need to do when the car touches 5k?
Old 9th November 2013, 13:51   #1979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyonwheels View Post
I will be midst of a long trip when the Jet touches 5k for the first service.
Is it ok to get the first service done when its around 6k+ mark?
Do i need to inform the service centre folks that by the time am back from my trip, the car would be around 6k mark?
Anything that i need to do when the car touches 5k?
Talk with your SA.
It is better to get it done before you set out for the journey.

You never can rely on the dealers. If a major part needs replacement at a future date they can easily show this delay as a reason for not honouring the warranty.
Old 9th November 2013, 14:23   #1980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Talk with your SA.
It is better to get it done before you set out for the journey.
Before setting out, i will be around 4-500 kms.
Then I will set out on a 5.5k roadtrip before getting back to home. It is mostly remote areas that i am travelling, so cannot even leave it for a service some where midst of the journey.

Last edited by andyonwheels : 9th November 2013 at 14:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks