Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2013, 14:21   #1951
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

[quote=JayKis;3269238]
Quote:
The Squeaking sound on braking - It could be the link rod. But if it has to be the link rod it should be there irrespective of you are braking or not.
I tried hearing for it but could only notice it during the breaking. Will see if i observe anything different riding back tonight.

Quote:
Are u installing reverse parking sensors from FIAT? If not, it might void warranty.
Yes. Will be getting the sensor installed by the dealer - as it was part of the deal. But warranty are you referring to getting void?

Quote:
And i was under the impression that all new cars came with antirust body coating nowadays
For body paint - have read and advised to go in for a paint sealant for longevity of it's sheen.

Btw -
Am looking to buy the uber-cool keyring w/ the Fiat Logo in red - like this ONE. Any idea where we can source this from in Bangalore or online?

Last edited by andyonwheels : 18th October 2013 at 14:25. Reason: quote fix and added a query
Old 19th October 2013, 10:30   #1952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyonwheels View Post
[*]Upgrading from an Alto, the Jet is overwhelmingly overwhelming! Both in drive and ownership. I have to accept it that I earned it or deserve it!
Congratulations and you are going to enjoy every minute of ownership!! Do not wait for the prescribed service interval for the initial and subsequent Engine Oil Changes. I get it changed every 5,000Kms.

Quote:
Also, a sudden notice and hatred towards junta driving around who really like to kiss the Jet as they pass by.
Same here, just the other day a biker at a traffic signal lightly brushed the driver side ORVM. Though there was no damage or even a scratch, I could not but help giving him piece of my mind!

Quote:
Guess it's the leather - find it to be bit stiff for my back. Hope I get used to is soon.
Never had this problem, seats feel very comfortable even on long drives, however I do use a soft cushion to provide additional lumber support.

Quote:
[*]The auto-lights is a really cool feature and am getting used to this as well. Is there a way to disable it though? When the car stops abruptly, the lights stay turned ON. Is it ok to start the car with the lights ON? I haven't found the 'auto-lights on-off' switch if there is one.
I am guessing you mean the parking and headlights and not the cabin lights! The parking lights will stay on till you remove the key from the ignition or put the ignition key in the start position. Once you move it to MAR position the lights (if in the turned on position) will come on or go off as the case maybe!

Quote:
my left feet feels the steering-rod rotation when the clutch is floored for changing gears. ..... Is this normal?
Yes, the steering rack will brush against your toe at or near lock. It is normal.

Quote:
[*]When resting my hand on the gear, whenever i accelerate or decelerate, I feel a soft click on the gear. Am guessing this is normal (?).
Never heard any kind of "click" sound from the gear lever.

Quote:
[*]Last two days, I have started to hear a squeaking sound on braking. This is annoying for a new car. Any suspects?
This is normal from what I can gather. Low usage and sometime accumulated rust will cause a squeaking sound to come from the brakes. This goes away after some time once the brakes warm up. If it continues, you can always get the pads checked at the next service.

Quote:
... under-body rust proof coating and maybe an exterior paint sealant.
Would really recommend getting both the treatments from a good 3M Car Shop. Especially the under body treatment. It is expensive but really worth it and comes with a 5 year warranty from 3M.

Last edited by PGNarain : 19th October 2013 at 10:33.
PGNarain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2013, 22:20   #1953
BHPian

PGNarain has already answered most of your questions. Mine are listed below your points.

Still to find the right sitting position. Also, the back support in the seat needs getting bit used to. Guess it's the leather - find it to be bit stiff for my back. Hope I get used to is soon.
It's a combination of seat height, distance to pedals & steering wheel and backrest angle. Lumbar support is not the greatest, but you'll get used to it. I just came back from driving 6:30 am to 9 pm for 4 days and don't have any back problems.

The auto-lights is a really cool feature and am getting used to this as well. Is there a way to disable it though? When the car stops abruptly, the lights stay turned ON. Is it ok to start the car with the lights ON? I haven't found the 'auto-lights on-off' switch if there is one.
Turn the light switch one step. That is the the standard lights off position in cars without the auto lights feature. I keep mine in this position, preferring not to use the auto-light feature. Starting your car with the lights on once in a while is ok, but otherwise it is additional strain on the battery.

Here is something that I find bugging - my left feet feels the steering-rod rotation when the clutch is floored for changing gears. Strangely, i do not recall reading this anywhere on the Linea threads. Is this normal?
This is normal; the car is designed this way. This has been commented on by many, and I often experience it too. It is disconcerting, I admit.

When resting my hand on the gear, whenever i accelerate or decelerate, I feel a soft click on the gear. Am guessing this is normal (?).
Everybody loves to rest their hand on the gear lever! I used to as well. But if you read the manual, they strongly recommend you don't. I'm surprised you didn't mention that the gear lever is not happy with a hand resting on it. I've trained myself not to keep my hand there once the gear has been changed.

Last two days, I have started to hear a squeaking sound on braking. This is annoying for a new car. Any suspects?
My car started squealing from the second day when braking. It was correctly diagnosed as being the result of splashing water on the wheels when washing them. I was using my car ony a couple of times a week at that time. The water would lightly rust the brake discs and they would squeal. I told the guy washing my car then not to splash water on the wheels but to just wipe the alloys with a wet cloth.
TheTeacher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2013, 09:51   #1954
Senior - BHPian

In my '09 Linea mjd (65k kms), whenever I apply brakes, whether however slow I am, I hear a slight *klink* noise from the front Brake area, asif its from the calipers.

Braking is *touchwood* excellent, even the noise doesn't irritate me or anything, but any idea what it could be? Such sounds surely shouldn't be coming.

A friend said I can't be sure its from the caliper pins coz then the sound would be a *THUD THUD* whenever it goes in a pothole, and that it could be the Lower Arm (checked, couldn't make out whats the lower arm).

Any Opinions...?
Old 20th October 2013, 13:00   #1955
BHPian

Quote:
Am yet to take the Jet for a long spin - here are my initial views so far:
  • Installations and treatments due next week - reverse car parking sensors, under-body rust proof coating and maybe an exterior paint sealant.
Will share more as I continue driving.
Hey Andy, I got reverse parking sensors installed from Fiat Authorized Dealer/Service Station yesterday, and I talked thoroughly to them regarding warranty. I even took their workshop stamp on the warranty card of the reverse parking system (camera+ sensors). And getting the system fitted from the authorized dealer will not void warranty on your vehicle and logically it should not. It would only be possible if you get system fitted from outside and with all the gamut of wiring on Fiat vehicles, I would suggest getting it fitted from authorized dealer only and only. Though you might end up paying a little more but you will enjoy peace of mind. BTW, I got body colored sensors painted to Sunbeam beige by their body shop and they look awesome. Don't get the black only sensors, they look a bit ugly to me.
xaero is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2013, 08:53   #1956
BHPian

How would this car compare to the corolla 1.8 engine? I'm asking in terms of pickup and engine refinement levels only. My corolla has good pickup and an extremely quiet engine.

Thinking of replacing corolla with the gt tsi or the tjet. While many features will be absent I can live with it, I want a comfortable ride but also should be fun when I floor the pedal.

Last edited by D'Artagnan : 21st October 2013 at 08:57.
Old 21st October 2013, 12:19   #1957
Senior - BHPian

Corolla's engine is buttery smooth the Jet's is smooth enough.

In gear acceleration especially within the same gear, when going from crawling to cruising is effortless in the Corolla. In the Jet one has to downshift to get the RPMs up in order to bring the turbo in to the picture. There being no replacement for displacement.

In a drag however the Jet will trump the Corolla everytime.

Front seat ride in both is similar, rear seat ride is better in the Corolla on account of the better seat itself. Jet's ride is very comfortable too just that the depth of the seat squab is a tad short of ideal.

Handling wise the Jet is definitely better especially out on long sweeping fast curves of the highways and the better setup of the Jet shines on stretches where the tarmac dips and rises often.

At the local club the Corolla will always be seen (perceived) as a 'better' vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Artagnan View Post
How would this car compare to the corolla 1.8 engine? I'm asking in terms of pickup and engine refinement levels only. My corolla has good pickup and an extremely quiet engine.

Thinking of replacing corolla with the gt tsi or the tjet. While many features will be absent I can live with it, I want a comfortable ride but also should be fun when I floor the pedal.
khoj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2013, 21:03   #1958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
Linea bumper is strong... mine got no less thsn 12 hits in signals and I once reversed into a wall as parking sensor failed. Even now it does not look out of shape. The cost of painting might be more than cost of bumper.
Agree with you, it is definitely a strong piece of kit...

I was hit from behind by an auto. A part of the tail lamp's plastic cover broke in the impact and the bumper buckled in. But even as I watched, it returned to its original mould shape with a dramatic sound. I was stunned!

Guys,

Do post pictures of your T-Jets whenever you want to illustrate a point. Will do so from my side too.

Pictures will make it more attractive and informative.

Rgds,

Siva

Note from Support - Please use the Multi-Quote feature to reply to multiple posts, instead of submitting back to back posts. Your posts have been merged.

Last edited by n_aditya : 22nd October 2013 at 08:28. Reason: Posts merged
Old 23rd October 2013, 10:35   #1959
Senior - BHPian

The engine on the Corolla is smoother than the T-Jet in my experience , which is not to say that the fiat engine is not smooth , the Toyota is just better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Artagnan View Post

Old 23rd October 2013, 11:30   #1960
BHPian

Guys,
Need advice from your experience.
I have a black T-Jet.
She has several deep scratches made by street urchins and she also sustained a dent when I missed the angle of the car next to me while reversing.
What would you suggest to remove the dents?
Refer them for repair at the authorized service or a good mechanic?

Last edited by aah78 : 24th October 2013 at 03:08. Reason: Text format tags removed.
Old 23rd October 2013, 11:35   #1961
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivasankar View Post
Refer them for repair at the authorized service or a good mechanic?
You can consider Ramkay FIAT, OMR, Chennai. My Linea had her sixth servicing done there. They are good, IMO.

Old 24th October 2013, 10:43   #1962
BHPian

[quote=PGNarain;3269836]
Quote:
I am guessing you mean the parking and headlights and not the cabin lights! The parking lights will stay on till you remove the key from the ignition or put the ignition key in the start position. Once you move it to MAR position the lights (if in the turned on position) will come on or go off as the case maybe!
Yes. It's the headlights am referring to. But as pointed out by Teacher below - will have to try that out.

Quote:
Yes, the steering rack will brush against your toe at or near lock. It is normal.
This will take getting used to i think. Have to learn to keep my feet more lower on the clutch.

[quote=TheTeacher;3270278]
Quote:
I just came back from driving 6:30 am to 9 pm for 4 days and don't have any back problems.
Thats good to hear.
Quote:
Turn the light switch one step. That is the the standard lights off position in cars without the auto lights feature.
Great! Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Everybody loves to rest their hand on the gear lever! I used to as well. But if you read the manual, they strongly recommend you don't. I'm surprised you didn't mention that the gear lever is not happy with a hand resting on it. I've trained myself not to keep my hand there once the gear has been changed.
Haha! That figures completely! Point-taken and will implement!

Quote:
My car started squealing from the second day when braking. It was correctly diagnosed as being the result of splashing water on the wheels when washing them. I was using my car ony a couple of times a week at that time. The water would lightly rust the brake discs and they would squeal. I told the guy washing my car then not to splash water on the wheels but to just wipe the alloys with a wet cloth.
Thanks for pointing this out! Will let the car washer know.

Since I did not hear from anyone on this - just bumping it up one more time -
Am looking to buy the uber-cool keyring w/ the Fiat Logo in red - like this ONE. Any idea where we can source this from in Bangalore or online?
Old 24th October 2013, 21:02   #1963
BHPian

Quote:
Am yet to take the Jet for a long spin - here are my initial views so far:
[list]

Since I did not hear from anyone on this - just bumping it up one more time -
Just a suggestion Andy, I have the following keyring for my car and its a multi-tool just in case of emergency plus a solid keyring and the build is tough. You can go for this if you like it, this one is from Swiss military :

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-1.jpg

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-2.jpg

Last edited by xaero : 24th October 2013 at 21:04. Reason: Removing extra images
Old 25th October 2013, 10:39   #1964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaero View Post
I have the following keyring for my car and its a multi-tool just in case of emergency plus a solid keyring and the build is tough. You can go for this if you like it, this one is from Swiss military :
Seems like a good handy idea, Xaero! Looked around online and found one with an in-built torch as well. thanks!
Old 25th October 2013, 12:26   #1965
BHPian

Quote:
Seems like a good handy idea, Xaero! Looked around online and found one with an in-built torch as well. thanks!
Yup, there is a torch, I have shown the brightness of the same in the second pic. I think you dd not notice the same.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks