Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2013, 10:34   #1846
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
The Polo Tsi will leave the Tjet in its dust.....
No...it won't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post

More than 0-100 timings, its the drive quality that I felt superior on the Fiat Linea T Jet.
+1 to Sandeep!! This is a very old argument. There is far more to life and a car than it's 0-60 or its 0-100kmph time. If that were so, then the bugatti veyron would BE THE BEST driver's car out there.

A friend of mine owns a Civic (a brilliant car) and the new Mahindra Thar!! Even though the civic a a fantastic drivers car, he has wayyyy more fun driving the Thar, in traffic and even out on the highway and of course there is no need to mention the fun we have when the Thar goes off-road!

The Linea has its drawback but as a complete driver's package the competition today has nothing to go up against the Linea. A friend of mine recently bought ANHC and we have a bet that three years down the line my "then" 6 year old T Jet+ will be in a better condition and far more fun than his "then" 3year old Honda City!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartik Kumar View Post

Fuel costs will kill you though.....
Another grouse about fuel costs! Sure if you keep banging the Linea at 140-150+ speeds and keep hitting the 5000 on the tachometer you will get 8-9Kmpl. However, driven even with a little reserve you can extract very good mileage.

I took this photo yesterday after going through this thread. The distance over which this was measured is from Pune (intra-city about 25kms), Pune to Mumbai (Expway about 115kms) and till my place in Belapur. I drove for most of the stretch at about 110 to 120 kmph and at no point was "trying" to get good kmpl figure. Infact in the ghats where she really comes alive I always push her!

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-img2013091800005.jpg

Again this is not the first time I have got such good highway figures! Last year we drove down to Vizag from Bombay and back. While leaving Hyderabad I tanked up at a Shell Fuel Pump. Our next stop was Bijapur and since I was going rather easy on the pedal, got a kmpl upwards of 18 (empty tank method).

Last edited by PGNarain : 19th September 2013 at 10:36.
PGNarain is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 11:20   #1847
BHPian

Was preparing to book a Tjet and so went through the last 20+ pages to make notes from the discussions by various members here. Sharing these for the benefit of future owners.
Sorry I did not copy out the 'members names', as I was mostly preparing a check list randomly.

General Pointers:
  • Remote controls are available with the T-Jet.
  • The odometer reading should come with an H symbol. It signifies temporary odometer and it will continue till 200 kms. Once 200 km is reached, the H symbol will disappear and the actual kms will appear on the multi-information display (MID). The odometer can be reset whilst the H is appearing. However, resetting it will cause the H to disappear and the the meter to start from 0 kms. Ideally the car should have less than 50 km with H.
  • In case you are buying mud flaps, insist on the ones that came with the ABSOLUTE edition. The original Fiat ones look ugly when mounted as they have the mounting screws exposed.

On Tyres:
  • For a more comfortable ride and cushioned feel, simply get the Emotion variant with 205/55R16 tyres and swap the OEM Goodyear Eagle NCT5s for Michelin Primacy LCs of the same size. Alternatively, Yokohama has an equivalent product called AVS DB550 in the same size, but the silence and cushioned ride are still better in the Primacy LC. The cost differential would work out to approximately 2000 bucks per tyre when you swap new tyres straight out of the showroom (~7500 for new Goodyear Eagles if I remember correctly, v/s 9500 for Primacy LCs), so you get yourself 5 Michelin shoes for ~10 grand and enjoy the supreme ride comfort. This way, there is no need to worry about all the speedo recalibration or sidewall height and wheel diameter calculations.
  • You could look at swapping the tyres to Michelin 205/55R16 PLC or Yokohama AVS DB right after delivery to. Both should cost you around 9k for each less the exchange price for the Goodyears.
  • Was offered Rs. 4000 per tyre when the tyre dealer thought that the tyres on our new T-Jet (44 kms on odo) were 195/60 R15. So you should expect at least Rs. 4500 for the tyre since it is 195/65 R15. And the steel rim costs about Rs. 900 so maybe add another 500 for that. Total - Rs. 5000.
  • Expect the alloys to be Good Year and the spare to be Apollo. Thats what i got.
  • There are many good quality after market camera + sensor options available in accessory shops for ~ 6500 Rs.You can call autoshop in koramangala.

Reverse Camera
  • Have found the Red Soul brand of reverse cameras to be very good in reliability. They also have good service network across Chennai, Bangalore and Mumbai.
Interior-Exterior Maintenance
  • Washing with a microfibre cloth, not just any 'old cloth'. Rough cloth will cause swirls and scratches. Even a paint sealant car can be ripped off by a local cleaner boy and his antics in a few weeks, so I strongly suggest firing such a person if he exists now
  • For leather, I use Meguiar's gold class leather cleaner solution. You could pick this up at any popular auto accessories shop or 3m car care centres. Apply and wipe all the muck and periodic stains away from the leather surface. Works well for regular leather seat maintenance too.
  • 3M offers a whole lot of services. The one that is of actual use in a new car is the one where in they apply a sealer on the paint. This is a last stage application preceded by Wash, Clay, Wax & then Sealer.
  • The protective film though can be used on the bottom of the front bumper as that is a painted surface and goes down a long way under the body and maybe on the side rear view mirrors.
  • 3D Kagu Maxpider mats for the 2013 Tjet.
  • http://emahendra.com/matting/40-3m-nomad-loop.html

PDI Info
  • My T-Jet came to the dealer stockyard last Friday and completed my PDI on the same day. I had the following observations and asked them to fix it.
  1. Slight gap in the closing lines of bonnet compared to the car standing next.
  2. LHS Orvm produces feeble screeching sound during operation.
  3. LHS rear door upper chrome (at the bottom of the windshield lining ) lining slightly not matching with the quarter glass chrome lining when the door is in closed status.
  4. LHS rear seat head rest's polythene cover got a small piece of grease which spread across the headrest leather after I noticed and touched. I asked them to clean it.
  5. One of the rear side speakers doesn't seem to be singing. I am not sure whether any audio settings need to be set. But, as per Sathya this is peculiar. I asked them to look into it and fix.
  • Check for uneven panel gaps between headlamps and bonnet, and between tail lamps and boot. Lineas were famous for these gaps. Adjustments if required can be done by the showroom personnel prior to delivery. They are trivial issues but cosmetic nonetheless.
andyonwheels is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 13:17   #1848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain;3241672

Another grouse about fuel costs! Sure if you keep banging the Linea at 140-150+ speeds and keep hitting the 5000 on the tachometer you will get 8-9Kmpl. However, driven even with a little reserve you can extract very good mileage.

I took this photo yesterday after going through this thread. The distance over which this was measured is from Pune (intra-city about 25kms), Pune to Mumbai (Expway about 115kms) and till my place in Belapur. I drove for most of the stretch at about 110 to 120 kmph and at no point was "trying" to get good kmpl figure. Infact in the ghats where she really comes alive I always push her!

[ATTACH
1140473[/ATTACH]

Again this is not the first time I have got such good highway figures! Last year we drove down to Vizag from Bombay and back. While leaving Hyderabad I tanked up at a Shell Fuel Pump. Our next stop was Bijapur and since I was going rather easy on the pedal, got a kmpl upwards of 18 (empty tank method).
I'm more worried about mileage in city driving than on highways as 95% of the driving will be there. Single digit mileage would be disheartening, as long as its 10 to 11 kmpl it be mentally acceptable.
Old 19th September 2013, 13:51   #1849
BHPian

Quote:
I'm more worried about mileage in city driving ...... Single digit mileage would be disheartening, as long as its 10 to 11 kmpl it be mentally acceptable.
Again, I think you are a wee bit misinformed. While driving in the city my Linea TJet+ gives about 12kmpl. I stay in Navi Mumbai and have for the past 1 month been driving to my office which is in Lower Parel. My route is 70kms both ways and takes me on a average 4hrs to cover through some really jam packed places, anyone from Bombay will testify. I am only able to open the throttle on the Palm Beach Stretch between Moraj Circle and the Croma Crossing (about 11kms i think). Rest of the time I am mostly limited to the 1st,2nd and 3rd gear and at some places the 4th!

In the 28000kms I have driven, the lowest kmpl I got was 8 or 8.5 kmpl. Also, I have not reset my "A" Tripmeter since I bought the car and that shows my kmpl at 11.6 (I think, have to check it again - will post a picture) and my current Eco Drive rating is 79.

Hope the above convinces you to go ahead with a TJet.
PGNarain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 14:33   #1850
Senior - BHPian

Not informed of what your driving conditions are like , but 2 things

The T-Jet can give you double digits consistently depending on conditions and the way you drive - refer to some of my earlier mileage updates and you will notice that i have even got as much as 16KMPL

However - you do need to be prepared for single digits , dont even be hopeful on this front , a bad traffic jam for example would probably result in that.

Don't buy the T-Jet hoping for good mileage - you can get it but there will be some effort involved in squeezing that out of the car and sometimes conditions will be out of your control and you can end up with 7-8 as well.

Quote:
I'm more worried about mileage in city driving than on highways as 95% of the driving will be there. Single digit mileage would be disheartening, as long as its 10 to 11 kmpl it be mentally acceptable.
Old 19th September 2013, 14:36   #1851
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post

In the 28000kms I have driven, the lowest kmpl I got was 8 or 8.5 kmpl. Also, I have not reset my "A" Tripmeter since I bought the car and that shows my kmpl at 11.6 (I think, have to check it again - will post a picture) and my current Eco Drive rating is 79.
:
The trip meter on a multijet automatically resets approximately every 2500 or 3000 kms I guess. I am not sure about the tjet though. Could you please check the trip A distance and let us know.

Last edited by Arkesh : 19th September 2013 at 14:37.
Old 19th September 2013, 15:04   #1852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKis View Post
How are Apollo Accelers for the T-Jet? My car would come with the same.
JayKis, check out Rameshnanda's experience with Accelers here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post3193474

andyonwheels, great job, thanks for making the effort!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyonwheels View Post
On Tyres:
  • For a more comfortable ride and cushioned feel, simply get the Emotion variant with 205/55R16 tyres and swap the OEM Goodyear Eagle NCT5s for Michelin Primacy LCs of the same size. Alternatively, Yokohama has an equivalent product called AVS DB550 in the same size, but the silence and cushioned ride are still better in the Primacy LC. The cost differential would work out to approximately 2000 bucks per tyre when you swap new tyres straight out of the showroom (~7500 for new Goodyear Eagles if I remember correctly, v/s 9500 for Primacy LCs), so you get yourself 5 Michelin shoes for ~10 grand and enjoy the supreme ride comfort. This way, there is no need to worry about all the speedo recalibration or sidewall height and wheel diameter calculations.
  • You could look at swapping the tyres to Michelin 205/55R16 PLC or Yokohama AVS DB right after delivery to. Both should cost you around 9k for each less the exchange price for the Goodyears.
  • Was offered Rs. 4000 per tyre when the tyre dealer thought that the tyres on our new T-Jet (44 kms on odo) were 195/60 R15. So you should expect at least Rs. 4500 for the tyre since it is 195/65 R15. And the steel rim costs about Rs. 900 so maybe add another 500 for that. Total - Rs. 5000.
16" tyre are significantly more expensive than 15" tyres. Expect to pay at least Rs. 3500 more per tyre, more if you want the PLCs or Yokos.

Quote:
Reverse Camera
  • Have found the Red Soul brand of reverse cameras to be very good in reliability. They also have good service network across Chennai, Bangalore and Mumbai.
Unfortunately Red Soul sensors come only in black. They would look odd on my Minimal Grey Linea, so I'm still exploring other options. Some manufactureres make sensors in 4 colors: black, white, red and silver.
TheTeacher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 15:11   #1853
BHPian

Thanks @TheTeacher!

Just a couple of quick questions to existing owners and SMEs.

Booked the T-Jet but a couple of questions keep nagging me. Please bear with me as this is my first car and hence my apprehensions.

The on road price of T-Jet is around 10.08 here in Pune as per the dealer (Pandit Automotive Pune). The dealer is giving insurance as free and a gift coupon of 20K plus an additional corporate discount of 6K which amounts to a total of 44K. He is giving me the rubber mats free and a 5% discount on accessories (Rear parking Sensors and window shades).

1) The dealer is charging 7K for two year extra warranty which makes it 3+2. And he says its valid all over India. Does one get a separate warrranty card from the dealer and how can one confirm if this warranty is registered with Fiat? Dont want to end up in a scenario where one has paid the dealer and fiat doesnot even know about it.

2) There are handling charges of around 8K. Believe Fiat cars are manufactured in Ranjangaon 50Kms off Pune. Just wondering if it really costs 8K for fiat to get a car from Ranjangaon to Pune? What if I offer to drive it down . Will the dealer waive off this charge? Has any one ever asked the dealer to give a break up of this charge?

Thanks
Jayanth

Last edited by JayKis : 19th September 2013 at 15:22.
Old 19th September 2013, 15:29   #1854
BHPian

Quote:
The dealer is giving insurance as free and a gift coupon of 20K plus an additional corporate discount of 6K which amounts to a total of 44K. He is giving me the rubber mats free and a 5% discount on accessories (Rear parking Sensors and window shades).
If it has already not been offered, you should press for RSA (road-side assistance) - should cost around 3500/-. Also, the rear parking sensors can be asked for as free accessories from the dealers end, along with the mats and mudflaps.
Old 19th September 2013, 17:02   #1855
BHPian

Quote:
2) There are handling charges of around 8K. Believe Fiat cars are manufactured in Ranjangaon 50Kms off Pune. Just wondering if it really costs 8K for fiat to get a car from Ranjangaon to Pune? What if I offer to drive it down . Will the dealer waive off this charge? Has any one ever asked the dealer to give a break up of this charge?
The handling charge is not so much about getting the car from factory etc., and this is not charged bu Fiat. This is a dealer thing. They claim that they charge it to pay off RTO people. In reality, they are NOT supposed to charge this and I guess they make some extra money out of it - there was a court ruling against handling charge some time back for a specific case (I don't remember the exact details), but unfortunately the dealers won't budge from this. But you must negotiate hard to bring it down - you will have to pay 'some' handling charge anyway.

Last edited by Tats07 : 19th September 2013 at 17:04.
Old 19th September 2013, 17:05   #1856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) The dealer is charging 7K for two year extra warranty which makes it 3+2. And he says its valid all over India. Does one get a separate warrranty card from the dealer and how can one confirm if this warranty is registered with Fiat? Dont want to end up in a scenario where one has paid the dealer and fiat doesnot even know about it.

Thanks
Jayanth

I have forgotten some of the details from my conversation with the SA but i think you do get a car and what they also do is enter the Car into the system which is supposedly accessible by anyone and the system shows it as being under extended warranty - ill try and speak to my SA and update exactly.

Fight on the handling charges.
Old 19th September 2013, 19:07   #1857
BHPian

Quote:
If it has already not been offered, you should press for RSA (road-side assistance) - should cost around 3500/-. Also, the rear parking sensors can be asked for as free accessories from the dealers end, along with the mats and mudflaps.
Getting free RSA for 50 months and free mudflaps as well. Will try pushing for free parking sensors as well but since the booking is already done, doubt it thou. Fortunately there are no cancellation charges till the invoice generation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tats07 View Post
The handling charge is not so much about getting the car from factory etc., and this is not charged bu Fiat. This is a dealer thing. They claim that they charge it to pay off RTO people. In reality, they are NOT supposed to charge this and I guess they make some extra money out of it - there was a court ruling against handling charge some time back for a specific case (I don't remember the exact details), but unfortunately the dealers won't budge from this. But you must negotiate hard to bring it down - you will have to pay 'some' handling charge anyway.
My bad here. The handling charges are 5.5K and not 8K as mentioned. Will still try negotiating with him

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
I have forgotten some of the details from my conversation with the SA but i think you do get a car and what they also do is enter the Car into the system which is supposedly accessible by anyone and the system shows it as being under extended warranty - ill try and speak to my SA and update exactly.

Fight on the handling charges.
That would be helpful. The handling charges are 5.5K and not 8K as preciously mentioned.

Surprisingly Ford did not mention any handling charges when I had booked the ecosport. But they made it up increasing the price thou!
Old 19th September 2013, 19:15   #1858
Senior - BHPian

Handling charges irrespective of the amount should not be given - i will also try and dig out the quote i got - i think the handling charges , for Delhi , were mentioned as 3000 not 5500 - will need to confirm though

Quote:

The handling charges are 5.5K and not 8K as preciously mentioned.
Old 20th September 2013, 09:52   #1859
BHPian

Any anticipations on offers getting better for the Jet in October? Considering the holidays / festival mood? Or a reversal - price increase? I got the check ready and so.
Old 20th September 2013, 10:47   #1860
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You will get an extended warranty certificate stamped and sealed by the dealer where you buy your car. This is authentic enough to ensure the extended warranty is valid throughout the tenure it will be active (3rd year to 5th year). Yes, it will be valid across any authorised Fiat service centres across the country.

Quote:
Handling charges don't just mean transportation of the cars via trucks. It also includes greasing the hands of the RTO agents for smooth registrations, which probably forms a major chunk of the amount. 8k however is a bit off the mark. I doubt the dealer will budge if you just ask him to lower handling charges for one vehicle, considering this is what most other customers will be paying too (without noticing). What you can however do is try to squeeze in a few more freebies to counter the hit - say HSRP number plates, door sils and such stuff where you would otherwise be spending 2-3k.

Quote:
Any anticipations on offers getting better for the Jet in October? Considering the holidays / festival mood? Or a reversal - price increase? I got the check ready and so.
Fiat usually revises offers on the 1st of every month. If you can wait, do so until the 1st of October and watch if there is any change in the current offer scheme. I doubt there will be a drastic difference though. They just play around with interchanging the discounts from one area to another. One month they offer free insurance or RSA, the next month they will give that as cash discount and charge for insurance or something.
KarthikK is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks