Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2016, 11:12   #1051
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemans View Post
Found one ( Lx) driven 21, 000 kms with yellow plates at a used car dealer. It's from February 2015 and looks like the Odo reading is genuine from the code on the tyres. Haven't taken a test ride yet. The dealer is "very interested" in getting rid of it, willing to pay the individual tax and all and quoting 6.5 lakh. When I started the engine, the AC wasn't working!
Please consider the possibility of the ODO being tampered big time. Car with the dealer, yellow plates and just 21k kms in 2.5 years is hard to believe. Plus you have the AC not working. The tyre manufacturing date could be a very good pointer as mentioned by you, but somehow it doesn't feel alright.

You would be better off buying a genuine 60-70k run 2 year old on white plates.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 4th October 2016 at 11:14.
Old 4th October 2016, 11:37   #1052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemans View Post
Found one ( Lx) driven 21, 000 kms with yellow plates at a used car dealer. It's from February 2015 and looks like the Odo reading is genuine from the code on the tyres. Haven't taken a test ride yet. The dealer is "very interested" in getting rid of it, willing to pay the individual tax and all and quoting 6.5 lakh. When I started the engine, the AC wasn't working!
I am not able to make up my mind whether to go ahead and consider it seriously looking at the very poor resale that I would be getting, apart from zero snob value and questionable availability of spares. Please opine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Please consider the possibility of the ODO being tampered big time. Car with the dealer, yellow plates and just 21k kms in 2.5 years is hard to believe. Plus you have the AC not working. The tyre manufacturing date could be a very good pointer as mentioned by you, but somehow it doesn't feel alright.

You would be better off buying a genuine 60-70k run 2 year old on white plates.
One may check the odo reading at the last visit to Tata ASC of any Tata vehicle here http://www.tatamotorsassured.com/ind...l&view=tmasell

You just need to enter the reg. number.
Request you to check the odo reading here before deciding. Will save you a lot of time.

It's funny how around 20-30% of the Tata cars for sale on local olx had their odo tampered. i.e. the odo reading given with the advertisement didn't match with the above link.
That was around a couple of months back when I had some free time to kill.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 4th October 2016 at 11:41.
Sherlocked is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2016, 16:02   #1053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmchak@gmail.co View Post
saurabh2711 - how is your Aria doing?

Apologies for replying so late. Never realised I have a question waiting for me here.

Car is doing great, thanks. It is my brothers'. He uses mainly for city use. We started using it for long run from this year - >
June15 to Oct16-- Not even a single instance of niggles from Aria.
I still do not see this car as a failure as stated by many. If ever this car is a failure, Only tata is to to blamed for; mainly due to its poor marketing & pathetic Customer service.
Very Comfortable, great handling, Cruise control is a steel. Climate control A/C etc etc, what else can I ask for in this segment. No driver fatigue even after long runs of upto 800KMs(That is my limit for a day). Last seat is pretty decent for a medium heighted person, A taller body will face some issues on long runs. Not as much as faced in Safari. Very stable, secure (Air bags, ABS EBD etc). It has great off-road capability as well due to TOD. Steering is far more lighter than Safari, considering its dimensions compared to Safari.
I can go on and on, for its praise to make my comments look like an advertisement.

I totally agree (+1) with what GTO has stated in his post soon after your question :

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I have a bone to pick with Tata for killing the Aria with its launch price. What a fantastic MPV, completely & totally murdered by its maker.

Good space, nice interiors, superb seats & balanced road manners. Experienced the Aria after a long time and enjoyed the drive.

Only Major issue/mishap till date (That too my fault) : Had met with an accident this May with Aria. I mis-judged an overtaking manoeuvre & rear ended it into a Brand new Elantra at a decent speed. Considering the fact that the bumper is of fibre & looking at the condition of the Bumper of Elantra, I got down in full expectation of a full bumper replacement of Aria as well. I was surprised to see only a scratch (Not even a dent) on Aria's bumper. Was amazed to see the built quality of the parts.
Not to mention, Elantras' bumper was all over the road. Had to get it replaced along with other repairs. Price paid 15000/-.

I am happy with the performance till now. I am more carefree, on the back of a Four year Gold Warranty purchased just before completion of one year. This covers everything other than Tyre or damages due to accidents. So even if this is a faulty car, i have it fully covered for five years of its life for any major repairs or replacements.

Regards,
Saurabh

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 10th October 2016 at 16:21.
saurabh2711 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 12:55   #1054
BHPian

Very nice vehicle from Tata. So tempted to buy one as the prices are so low. But don't really need one. But since sales were so low would parts availability be a problem in the future ? If Tata ever launches the Hexa it might share some parts with the Aria I suppose. But it would drop the prices of the used Arias even lower I suppose.
Old 19th October 2016, 23:36   #1055

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I have a bone to pick with Tata for killing the Aria with its launch price. Used one last night (Uber). What a fantastic MPV, completely & totally murdered by its maker.

Good space, nice interiors, superb seats & balanced road manners. Experienced the Aria after a long time and enjoyed the drive.

Attachment 1556067
I've recently (4 months back) purchased a 2nd-hand Aria Pride 4x4 with 41,000 km on the Odometer. I bought it for 7.15 Lakhs in Bangalore. Till now I've only changed the tyres which were worn out and the front camber bolt. There was an issue with some piping due to which the oxygen sensor was malfunctioning leading to low power and torque. An INR 3000 repair fixed it.

I must say that I'm amazed by the quality of engineering that TATA has put in building this vehicle. 6 Airbags, all-around disc brakes, ABS, EBD, ESP and lots and lots of space! The car comfortably seats 7 with space to spare for luggage. And the best thing is the comfort - one doesn't feel the road.

I've driven a Maruti Zen all my life and it was definitely a step up for me. Maybe there are other better cars in the same segment but I find it hard to find any faults in this one.

Have some stories from the first few months of driving, but maybe I'll share in a separate post.
a5huto5h is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2016, 18:16   #1056

Dear friends, I have a few queries related to the off-roading capabilities of the Tata Aria.

During one of the family trips to Dhanushkodi, I managed to get it stuck in the sandy beach. Though I could get it unstuck when some locals pushed the car while I accelerated and got some momentum. Video of the same is on YouTube at this link -

I understand that the highway tyres are not suitable for sand, but still the sand wasn't so much that some momentum and the decent torque on the car could not handle.

(The car was facing some issues at the time - the inlet pipe to the turbocharger was damaged, due to which the air sensor was misbehaving and sending less air to the engine. This was causing low torque and power. This issue has since been rectified.)

My questions are as follows:
  1. What kind of off-roading have people done on their Aria?
  2. Is it possible to have any 4x4 fun on the vehicle if I invest in A/T or M/T tyres?
  3. Is the Aria a good vehicle for say a family trip to Leh-Ladakh? I have an overland trip to Thailand on the cards sometime next year.
  4. Is it possible to put a Tata Safari transfer case on it which gives 4L mode that can help in such a situation?
I'm new to posting on the forum so please bear with the noob questions. Thanks in advance.
Old 5th November 2016, 19:45   #1057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
bumped into this thread on Jalopnik about an american Company doing tear-down analyses of cars and documenting them.

Interestingly,somebody in US is curious about the Aria. You can see it's stripped Body-in-white.
Question -
1. who is US would be curious about the Aria and its tear down report?
2. why in US? scores of companies do it in India already. Heck I've personally been part of a tear down of a Scania Mining truck. Deep pockets I guess.

http://jalopnik.com/the-fascinating-...d-o-1787205420
I think, despite the failure of the Nano as a product in the Indian market - the "$2500 new car" bugle that Tata blew was heard globally. That and ISRO launching multiple satellites and the mission to Mars at a fraction of the cost other Space Agencies have borne has made India pretty well known for "frugal engineering". And this would make other engineering companies sit up and take notice. Who wouldn't want to cut costs?
Old 5th November 2016, 20:42   #1058
Senior - BHPian

The Aria is one of the rare cars I admire. No expert but can point out a few things :

Quote:
Originally Posted by a5huto5h View Post
...I understand that the highway tyres are not suitable for sand, but still the sand wasn't so much that some momentum and the decent torque on the car could not handle.

(The car was facing some issues at the time - the inlet pipe to the turbocharger was damaged, due to which the air sensor was misbehaving and sending less air to the engine. This was causing low torque and power. This issue has since been rectified.)
To put it mildly, thats like making a person on asthmatic attack run a sprint race. lol

4x4 Arias' Adapterra sends 40% power to front wheels when the rear has less traction. But ofcourse there'll be a lack of power if the turbo isn't working optimally due to a cut in the inlet hose.

Quote:
My questions are as follows:
  1. What kind of off-roading have people done on their Aria?
  2. Is it possible to have any 4x4 fun on the vehicle if I invest in A/T or M/T tyres?
  3. Is the Aria a good vehicle for say a family trip to Leh-Ladakh? I have an overland trip to Thailand on the cards sometime next year.
  4. Is it possible to put a Tata Safari transfer case on it which gives 4L mode that can help in such a situation?
I'm new to posting on the forum so please bear with the noob questions. Thanks in advance.
1) Even with 4x4, Aria is a soft-roader, not a full time off-roader.

2) It can do very well in plenty of Off-Road situations, but its use is meant for a hard surface.

3) Its one of the best vehicles to do Leh-Ladakh. Infact its known to have comparatively very good performance on high altitudes. Enjoy the trips.

4) Not sure. Its not homologated to have a 4L. Wouldn't recommend you do something that'll affect the cars insurance. Experienced 4x4 enthusiasts would know better.
GrammarNazi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th November 2016, 21:08   #1059
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a5huto5h View Post
[*]Is the Aria a good vehicle for say a family trip to Leh-Ladakh? I have an overland trip to Thailand on the cards sometime next year.
I have done my Leh-Ladakh trip in September-October , 2014 in my TATA ARIA Pure LX. it was a 25 day trip of 8800Km. No problem at all.
rkg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2016, 21:34   #1060

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
I have done my Leh-Ladakh trip in September-October , 2014 in my TATA ARIA Pure LX. it was a 25 day trip of 8800Km. No problem at all.
Thank you. That is quite reassuring! I understand that the Pure LX is a 4x2 so the one I have should do well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
To put it mildly, thats like making a person on asthmatic attack run a sprint race. lol
Ha ha. Yes, that would be an apt example. I think the now repaired car should be able to cross it. I need to plan another trip to test it out.

Quote:
4x4 Arias' Adapterra sends 40% power to front wheels when the rear has less traction. But of course there'll be a lack of power if the turbo isn't working optimally due to a cut in the inlet hose.

1) Even with 4x4, Aria is a soft-roader, not a full time off-roader.

2) It can do very well in plenty of Off-Road situations, but its use is meant for a hard surface.

3) Its one of the best vehicles to do Leh-Ladakh. Infact its known to have comparatively very good performance on high altitudes. Enjoy the trips.
Thank you. This is helpful. I am mighty impressed with the concept of an expedition vehicle that I read in one of the threads on this forum. I think it will be better if I define the situations that I foresee (this is assuming that I have the right kind of tyres for the situation). Let me do a rethink on this.

Quote:
4) Not sure. Its not homologated to have a 4L. Wouldn't recommend you do something that'll affect the cars insurance. Experienced 4x4 enthusiasts would know better.
Oh, okay. I had not thought about it from an insurance angle. Having the ability to drive it in 4L would have been more reassuring.

Last edited by a5huto5h : 5th November 2016 at 22:02.
Old 20th November 2016, 15:14   #1061
BANNED

Re: 2012 Tata Aria models now Rs 2 Lakh off!

Dear Folks,

Uploading some pictures of my ARIA Pure of May 2012. Thought it prudent to showcase the excellent product that it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-img_43521.jpg  

lifebuoy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2016, 16:11   #1062
BANNED

Classy and good quality interiors
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-img_4358.jpg  

Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-img_4360.jpg  

Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-img_4361.jpg  

Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-img_4364.jpg  

Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-img_4367.jpg  

Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-img_4356.jpg  

Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-img_4370.jpg  

Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-img_4405.jpg  

lifebuoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2016, 16:24   #1063
BANNED

Exteriors. Excellent paint job. 4 1/2 years since acquisition.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-img_4353.jpg  

Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-img_4354.jpg  

Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-img_4378.jpg  

Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-img_4385.jpg  

Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-img_4386.jpg  

Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-img_4397.jpg  

Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-img_4392.jpg  

Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-img_4394.jpg  

Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-img_4402.jpg  

Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-img_4403.jpg  

Old 20th November 2016, 16:35   #1064
BANNED

Engine Compartment and my favorite Bridgestone Duelers. The only external rust is seen on this "desi" strengthening of the rear guard mounts. The Stylized steel rims are simply great to look at and maintain. Smooth finish permits polishing to give a lasting shine !
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-img_4381.jpg  

Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-img_4382.jpg  

Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-img_4383.jpg  

Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-img_4384.jpg  

Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-img_4404.jpg  

Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-img_4380.jpg  

Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-img_4393.jpg  

Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-img_4399.jpg  

lifebuoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2016, 16:48   #1065
BANNED

Excellent all round Visibility along with a commanding road view. Comfort in long cruises (500 + kms) non-stop is fantastic ! Shall be driving from Allahabad to Delhi on the 26th Nov 16. FE in Delhi was about 11.5 - 12.5 kpl. Delhi - Allahabad runs have given best 15.1 kpl and worst 13.5 kpl. City runs in Ald gives 9.5 - 10.5 kpl. Aria Always on AC.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-img_4371.jpg  

Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-img_4372.jpg  

Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-img_4365.jpg  

Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-img_4373.jpg  

Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-img_4374.jpg  

Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-img_4375.jpg  

Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-img_4376.jpg  

Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-img_4377.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com