Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2011, 11:19   #646
BHPian

Re: Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review

Took a test drive of TATA Aria. It is not worth the hype. It is not VFM. I would definitely go for a Toyota for the sheer quality. Just like those cheap promos on TV Arua too can be given a TATA. Hope you remember the mating of a Sedan and SUV and the giving birth of the "Crossover !!". The public relations department of TATA needs a makeover. Another example being the "Titan Eye+" ad where the guy passes off as someone else just by changing the frame of his eye-glasses.
Old 14th March 2011, 12:42   #647
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Aria'L' route

Yep this could go in GTO's review as an add on discussion.

Loved the review by "bite the bullet", though I don't agree on the positioning the way he views it, but each person has his own views and that must be respected and appreciated.

For me it beats the fortuner b&b in all aspects except the exterior looks and absolute power, and the Innova atleast to me and the other owners on TBHP is just not in the same segment, yes a buyer can seem a bit biased, but then a buyer puts his hard owned money on his views about the car and this can be looked at in other ways as well. The question really is how many people in India will be able to view the Aria the way TATA wants them to view it.

Yesterday was on the way to Bombay from Baroda and and had parked the car on the side of the NH8 for a pee leak break (roadside), an Innova "V" model which had been following me stopped ahead of me, they got off and came over and checked out the car, the Driver then told me they owner wants to upgrade to the Aria and asked me what it is priced. Yep that guy got it correct just the way TATA hopes, but if the brand value comes in the way this may just be a stepping stone to better equity in the future. Someone could well argue that the CRV, Captiva and other smaller softroaders too should be priced lower than the Innova purely based on size, it's all about all that the car brings with it.

By the way the Aria does hold on to the road much much better than the Safari and even the fortuner and definately excels in braking as well, but yes the power delivery does feel restrained till one wakes up the engine. (I do ofcourse keep giving it a wake up call all the while.) If one is cool with high revs and keeing the engine on the boil then it is much more fun than the Safari on the highways due to the ability to corner quite well, on really does not need to slow down while going on twisty bits. I also did like the interior quality more than that of the fortuner, but then each one can have is view of a car its so subjective unlike an NCAP test.

Lets see how it goes.

Last edited by ACM : 14th March 2011 at 12:46.
Old 14th March 2011, 13:22   #648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Yep this could go in GTO's review as an add on discussion.

Loved the review by "bite the bullet", though I don't agree on the positioning the way he views it, but each person has his own views and that must be respected and appreciated.

For me it beats the fortuner b&b in all aspects except the exterior looks and absolute power, and the Innova atleast to me and the other owners on TBHP is just not in the same segment, yes a buyer can seem a bit biased, but then a buyer puts his hard owned money on his views about the car and this can be looked at in other ways as well. The question really is how many people in India will be able to view the Aria the way TATA wants them to view it.

Yesterday was on the way to Bombay from Baroda and and had parked the car on the side of the NH8 for a pee leak break (roadside), an Innova "V" model which had been following me stopped ahead of me, they got off and came over and checked out the car, the Driver then told me they owner wants to upgrade to the Aria and asked me what it is priced. Yep that guy got it correct just the way TATA hopes, but if the brand value comes in the way this may just be a stepping stone to better equity in the future. Someone could well argue that the CRV, Captiva and other smaller softroaders too should be priced lower than the Innova purely based on size, it's all about all that the car brings with it.

By the way the Aria does hold on to the road much much better than the Safari and even the fortuner and definately excels in braking as well, but yes the power delivery does feel restrained till one wakes up the engine. (I do ofcourse keep giving it a wake up call all the while.) If one is cool with high revs and keeing the engine on the boil then it is much more fun than the Safari on the highways due to the ability to corner quite well, on really does not need to slow down while going on twisty bits. I also did like the interior quality more than that of the fortuner, but then each one can have is view of a car its so subjective unlike an NCAP test.

Lets see how it goes.
Hey ACM,

Thanks for the vote of confidence mano, was beginning to feel a little naked out there!!

I agree with you on a whole pile of points and as I mentioned, (or did I?) I am a die hard TATA loyalist. I only feel that the heart of the company is in the right place, but unfortunately the ability is not. Notwithstanding the acquisition of Jaguar and Land Rover, people expect to see the benefits trickle downwards to existing products.

The problem here is that TATA has always been brilliant value for money...the Indica's and even the Safari bear credence to that. Unfortunately THAT is a tag that is going to haunt them forever. Because you begin to expect cars like the ARIA to be value for money.

I am not a fan of Toyota, simply because IMHO they milk their credibility as a brand to charge the insane premiums they do on their products. The funny thing is though, that this has never stopped people from paying said premiums, leaving TOYOTA laughing themselves to their bank(s); only AND only because they deliver what they say on the box. The Fortuner interiors are a joke. For that much money, you should be getting the kitchen sink and some. Because at the end of the day, this is but a tarted up Hilux. And that is not funny. Not by a long shot. Lets not even go to the Endy, because we'd be here for a long time....

TATA had an opportunity with the ARIA to really rub it in the noses of the competitors. Have a vastly superior (capable) off road/soft road crossover vehicle at a slight premium to the Innova top end. Wipe that market out (at least with personal buyers) and the re-design and replace the aged Safari as a true blue, earth shatteringly capable 4x4 beast, directly competing with the Fortuners/Captivas of the world.

The success of the ARIA would have built up credibility and easily afforded the ability for TATA to price the Safari close to where the ARIA is today (if not more) and attack two completely different markets. *and make a killing might I add* Opinion...rear ends...everyone (remember the oft repeated line???) The Aria is a cracker - but at a substantially cheaper price.

I do not have the will to spend THAT sort of money on a TATA just yet... 3 years down the line, who knows? But then hey, "who am I huh???"

Just a person who feels cheated out of owning something, he has waited an appreciably long time for.

Stay safe mano.

P.S. I love your review by the way!!! Very succinctly put!

Last edited by bIte tHe bulLet : 14th March 2011 at 13:36.
Old 14th March 2011, 13:35   #649
BHPian

Well this is a test drive section so I guess it shouldn't be closed as such but yeah repeating the same discussion again and again doesn't make any Sense. And I just have one suggestion to those who are creating Test Drive reports on Aria. Don't form your opinions based on TD vehicles. Most probably you will be driving the Test Mules that have been later given to the dealers.

And I am waiting for the engine to open up properly post 10k. Would inform whether there is any improvement in the performance.
Old 14th March 2011, 13:56   #650
Senior - BHPian

I still wait in the vain hope that one day people will stop comparing the Aria to the Innova. And stop thinking that Tata are looking to generate massive volumes from the Aria.

The Aria is definitely not a perfect product, some like it others not so, but dont dismiss it because you think Tata should not produce a niche market low volume product.

Does Tata always have to sell thousands and thousands of each of its cars? Why cant an Indian car manufacturer be satisfied with generating numbers in a few hundreds per month??

As of now in my opinion if you are looking to spend in the range of 15-20lakhs for a car, the only really good options are the Aria and the Kizashi.
Old 14th March 2011, 14:14   #651
Senior - BHPian

BTB, why don't you wait for the new Safari (Merlin)? I'm assuming that you don't want to flush dollars down the WC mate & if so, why spend 22.7 big ones just for a 4L gearbox?

(Now, look at me playing the Devil's Advocate here when I'm in the same mess myself )

PS: I did find the Aria way way more VFM compared to the Fortuner, have outlined my thoughts on my Dilemma thread

Last edited by suman : 14th March 2011 at 14:15.
Old 14th March 2011, 14:53   #652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
BTB, why don't you wait for the new Safari (Merlin)? I'm assuming that you don't want to flush dollars down the WC mate & if so, why spend 22.7 big ones just for a 4L gearbox?

(Now, look at me playing the Devil's Advocate here when I'm in the same mess myself )

PS: I did find the Aria way way more VFM compared to the Fortuner, have outlined my thoughts on my Dilemma thread

Aah...you evil evil man!!! (in the nicest possible way of course)

I shall hop on over to your thread and have a dekko. I'm not convinced about the fortuner at all and I'm not sure where that impression is coming from. It's just that I'm less convinced about the ARIA. I actually think, we'll be 'holding our horses' so to speak, till the Merlin launch.

Chat soon.
Ak
Old 14th March 2011, 15:23   #653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonMartin View Post
Took a test drive of TATA Aria. It is not worth the hype. It is not VFM. I would definitely go for a Toyota for the sheer quality. Just like those cheap promos on TV Arua too can be given a TATA. Hope you remember the mating of a Sedan and SUV and the giving birth of the "Crossover !!". The public relations department of TATA needs a makeover. Another example being the "Titan Eye+" ad where the guy passes off as someone else just by changing the frame of his eye-glasses.
Dude, with all due respect, I think you are over-reacting here.

First of all, where did you find the ARIA hype? Surely not on Team BHP. Team BHP doesnt hype about anything. It projects the most unbaised and practical review of every vehicle.

Secondly, Aria is not a VFM..compared to what? To start with, it cannot be really compared to anything, since it is placed in a different segment all together.

Toyota has sheer quality. I agree to some extent. Their engines are too good, long lasting and reliable. But, I dont think you have seen an Innova or the Fortuner from inside. Many people (read experts) have always said that Toyota vehicles have dull and disappointing interiors. Fortuner is like a dream-come-true vehicle from outside and on the inside, its just about good, nothing amazing or mind blowing.

Also, like someone mentioned here already, we can judge the vehicle based on a short TD. Ask the real owners and then form your opinion. Atleast that is what I follow, since I became a member on Team BHP.

Lastly, I respect everyone's opinion and everyone has a right to say whatever they wish. Just thought of clearing some myths.
Old 16th March 2011, 20:31   #654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonMartin View Post
I doubt Tata intended to have Aria as a VFM product given the cost and hype, they may be trying to create a "have factor" though unsuccessfully, given the bland ads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbali View Post
Well this is a test drive section so I guess it shouldn't be closed as such but yeah repeating the same discussion again and again doesn't make any Sense. And I just have one suggestion to those who are creating Test Drive reports on Aria. Don't form your opinions based on TD vehicles. Most probably you will be driving the Test Mules that have been later given to the dealers.

And I am waiting for the engine to open up properly post 10k. Would inform whether there is any improvement in the performance.
The vehicle will show its true colours after it has been run in properly, and rightly said the test mules are overused and abused.
Old 17th March 2011, 11:07   #655
Senior - BHPian

I maintain that the word 'value' is badly abused, mauled and kicked around by individuals, corporates, economists and most off all by consulting companies.

What is of value to me may not be value to another. Even if Aria was priced upto 50k more than Innova and it had same features as Innova and nothing extra, it would have appeared as more Value for money to me. Because to me Aria has got looks, and I, in my approach give a lot of value to looks. I also give a lot of value to the fact that getting Tata vehicles serviced is far more easy than Toyota vehicles - atleast in my city. Compare 2 very spacious and efficient tata service dealers + 3 TASC, to just 1 Toyota dealer servicing humungous amount of Toyota vehicles in my city.

So, my request is to keep the talk of VFM or not to individual preferences and not to drum it down everyone else's throat.

But since Aria is owned by our family, I can say it differs from the Safari in one very noticable way. It has no unwanted clatter or any other unwanted/irritating sound. It feels and can say with confidence, is very well built. The kind of build you will associate with European cars.
Old 18th March 2011, 16:35   #656

Took a test drive of the Aria. Liked most of what I experienced
- Very driveable.
Easy to slot in and get rolling. Good response from engine without any lag. Good feel from the steering.
- Nice set of features.
Things like the rear view camera are very useful in a vehicle of this size, especially in apartment parking lots where there could be kids running around. Of course other features such as sat-nav and the roof-bins are subjective
- Good middle row. Very comfortable and wide seats and lots of space of 3 adults to sit there
- Build quality - This was a test vehicle with about 10K of running. Except for roughed up gear knob, the vehicle felt solid without any squeaks or rattles.

Did not like the following (not sure how many are because of my height - I am 6ft 4inches)

- The footwell was terribly cramped. I am used to driving an Optra for the last 7 years and there is a lot of space in the footwell with a dead pedal that I am used to. So when I had to keep my left foot hanging over the clutch continuously or move it flat back into the cabin, it was painful. My calf was hurting just after 20 minutes of the test drive. Might sound nit-picky to some, but for me, the lack of space in footwell is a deal killer.
- Felt that the AC duct on the left of the steering was turning my left knee into ice! Not sure if this is the ideal location for the duct.
- The arm rest having to be moved about to wear/release seat-belts is a bit of a nuisance. I like the fixed wide stationary armrest seen in many of the other cars.
- (nit-picky - Felt there are too many buttons on the steering wheel and center console )

Overall I think this is a good vehicle from Tata. I am looking for a good 6 (or 7) seater SUV/MUV and have been waiting for the Aria. But the cramped footwell is a real killer for me. For those who have bought this out there, "Folks, have fun and drive safe".
Old 18th March 2011, 19:33   #657
BHPian

Tata to hike all car prices by April 1, the prices of the Aria crossover are set to go up by Rs 30,000 to 36,000! (Source:ACI)

I don't know if this move willl increase sales of the Aria, The people were just recuperating from the shock of buying a 19L tata. An increase of 36k seems far too much, this is an ex-showroom increase all in all an on-road increase would mean around 50k!

Well the current Aria owners can rejoice as tend to enjoy higher resale value. Of what i understand maybe this move would buy the brand some more respect.But again with the recent 25kmpl Indica pricing, I may be able to conclude that TATA is no more looking forward to a VFM future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bIte tHe bulLet View Post
I am a die hard TATA loyalist. I only feel that the heart of the company is in the right place, but unfortunately the ability is not. Notwithstanding the acquisition of Jaguar and Land Rover, people expect to see the benefits trickle downwards to existing products.

The problem here is that TATA has always been brilliant value for money...the Indica's and even the Safari bear credence to that. Unfortunately THAT is a tag that is going to haunt them forever. Because you begin to expect cars like the ARIA to be value for money.

I am not a fan of Toyota, simply because IMHO they milk their credibility as a brand to charge the insane premiums they do on their products. The funny thing is though, that this has never stopped people from paying said premiums, leaving TOYOTA laughing themselves to their bank(s); only AND only because they deliver what they say on the box. The Fortuner interiors are a joke. For that much money, you should be getting the kitchen sink and some. Because at the end of the day, this is but a tarted up Hilux. And that is not funny. Not by a long shot. Lets not even go to the Endy, because we'd be here for a long time....

TATA had an opportunity with the ARIA to really rub it in the noses of the competitors. Have a vastly superior (capable) off road/soft road crossover vehicle at a slight premium to the Innova top end. Wipe that market out (at least with personal buyers) and the re-design and replace the aged Safari as a true blue, earth shatteringly capable 4x4 beast, directly competing with the Fortuners/Captivas of the world.

The success of the ARIA would have built up credibility and easily afforded the ability for TATA to price the Safari close to where the ARIA is today (if not more) and attack two completely different markets. *and make a killing might I add* Opinion...rear ends...everyone (remember the oft repeated line???) The Aria is a cracker - but at a substantially cheaper price.

Very well said , believe me i could not pen down my thoughts on the Aria as good as you.

That said i loved the way you jotted down the review, it shows true emotions a person faces while buying a car.

You know, i exactly get the point you are trying to make; Many people delayed their purchases because of checking out the Aria and when it was launched the higher price deterred many. Me being one of them. The Aria is definitely a good product, but Tata could have gone for a lower pricing citing the volume game. This on the other hand the higher pricing has acted as a benefit as an Aria is an exclusive sighting on our roads.

But tell you what, after the price settles with the consumers the Aria will crack the market!

Last edited by Dippy : 20th March 2011 at 22:25. Reason: Back to back posts
Old 21st March 2011, 12:43   #658
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Rajag

Nice brief review of the Aria test drive from you.

I can understand what you mean being 6'4". I am 6' and also am quite a bit on the heavier side so front seating needs to be spacious. I fit quite well in the Aria except when I have to remove my wallet from the front left pocket for say paying for the toll etc. (Hence now keep the loose change money for such purpose in one of the numerous storage spaces that they have provided.)

The way out for some one taller is to keep the steering at the highest position and the seat at rear most position and as high as possible without hitting ones head on the roof. The space for the left leg is in front of the clutch.

With a bit of practice this should be manageable even for your height, but initially the leg may pain after a short while as experienced by you. I have made a few 7-8 hr trips driving and have found the leg space to be decent over a long drive, though marginal. The Sad bit is one cant really take a real long test drive to know for sure and it would be too risky to go in for something where one does not fit. I had found seating to be bigger problem for me on the fortuner than on the Aria.

Also by the way, the space limit on the front seat exists on the co-passenger side as well, Now that I have a driver I do spend time in the co-passenger seat and find that one can't really fully stretch out the legs full lenght there either though there are no pedals. But then one does have the rear seats for that purpose.
Old 25th March 2011, 15:07   #659

ACM,

Thanks for your note on how you are managing the seating position. I will try it once more with the tip from you and see how it goes.

Happy to hear that you are enjoying long drives on your Aria. From my brief run with the vehicle, I am very impressed and feel that Tata really has got a good vehicle. Their marketing guys have to make it a success.

Am in the process of comparing other vehicles. Will update as I get some insights. However, as you rightly said, it is a bit scary to go with a vehicle when you are not comfortable in the seating position during test drive.
Old 5th April 2011, 23:26   #660
BHPian

Re: March 2011 : Indian Car Sales Figures

Just a bit OT : Saw an ARIA today and i feel it has got an awesome road presence, especially the side profile. Can't say the same about the Kizashi i saw on Elgin Road a week back. Again, that's just my perception, maybe i got overwhelmed by the ARIA's huge(literally) presence.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks