Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2011, 11:21   #601
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Drove my uncle's Aria today, was not one bit impressed with the engine. I have experienced & I understand the turbo lag of the Dicor engine but this engine actually stalled when i tried to pick up speed from 10 kmph in 2nd gear. It felt dead at lower RPMs.

I spoke to it's drivers & he also complains about the same saying their older car (safari) was much more drivable. Even i feel the same.
Tell your uncle to have the car checked!

The engine performance of the Aria is quite good. The dicor unit is quite a healthy unit. The turbo lag is hardly an issue with it. By that what I mean is : that t-lag is there but should hardly be a bother. And because we own both the Safari & Aria, I can say with conviction that -if anything, the Dicor engine feels much more refined and suited to the Aria.
As a layman I feel that the engine is not that well integrated in Safari.

@m_upreti : dicor is perfectly comparable to mhawk. Both have their respective strengths. At one time last year I owned both the m-hawk powered Scorpio and 2.2 Dicor powered Safari with me, before I disposed the Scorpio as it was proving unreliable and expensive to own. Invariably whenever I had to take family to hills, the choice was Safari. And not because of comfort, but because its pulling power in low gears on steep inclines felt more reassuring. Personally, the Dicor does it for me.

Also there is nothing unfair to M-hawk in a comparisonm between the two. Like dicor is used in both Safari and Aria. M-hawk will be used in both Scorpio and upcoming Mahindra world SUV - W201 (though in the 140 bhp avtar).

Last edited by rrsteer : 4th February 2011 at 11:26.
Old 4th February 2011, 11:31   #602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I was comparing it with the mHawk but I feel it should be unfair for the mHawk instead as the scorpio is 7 lakhs cheaper.
You are right Raj, but I was only comparing the powerplant. mHawk will be there in the newer (read more expensive) SUV's from M&M soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
@m_upreti : dicor is perfectly comparable to mhawk. Both have their respective strengths. At one time last year I had both the m-hawk powered Scorpio and 2.2 Dicor powered Safari with me. Invariably whenever I had to take family to hills, the choice was Safari. And not because of comfort, but because its pulling power felt more reassuring in the hills.
Like dicor is used in both Safari and Aria. M-hawk will be used in both Scorpio and upcoming Mahindra world SUV - W201.
To be very frank, I have not driven a Safari, but have had some friendly encounters with Safaris on the highway, and the Ghats, some of which are pretty steep and found that the Scorpio had an edge when climbing and overtaking. But again, as you have both the vehicles you would have a better view in comparing both.
Old 4th February 2011, 11:47   #603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post
Almost all new cars will have teething issues. We never have issues because almost all the models (fully assembled) come to India only 1-2 years after other countries. Hence we escape.
Tata and Mahindra are the only ones which initiate production from India. In that Tata is the only one which launches new platforms regularly. Mahindra launched a new platform for the first time in forty years with the Xylo. Even that was not entirely ground up work.
Even the new Maruti Swift is already in production in Hungry from the last six months. You have to speak to Hungarians to know precisely how 'perfect' it was when it was launched there.
I know that it wasn't perfect either. But thats the way it is. After all if the smallest paid software can have 24 updates, a car like Aria (perhaps 16000 to 20000 components in my estimate) can have some minor tweaks. People who are scared should buy vehicles like Qualis. Tried and tested for 28 years!
As ACM remarked underneath, I am assuming that we understood the issue properly.
Thats truly well said buddy. Loved your comments.

I too am a proud owner of Tata and when I mention the same reason to own a Tata, people say what crap. Maruti is the best company!!

Regarding Aria, it is a freshly launched vehicle and every new launch is going to have issues, be it Tata, Maruti or any other company. The issues get resolved in the 2nd or 3rd batch of production. So you cant start bashing a vehicle from day one just because its Tata or Fiat.
Old 6th February 2011, 12:06   #604
BHPian

Quote:
Drove my uncle's Aria today, was not one bit impressed with the engine. I have experienced & I understand the turbo lag of the Dicor engine but this engine actually stalled when i tried to pick up speed from 10 kmph in 2nd gear. It felt dead at lower RPMs.

I spoke to it's drivers & he also complains about the same saying their older car (safari) was much more drivable. Even i feel the same.
Is it possible this car of your uncle has some problem? Reason I am asking is that while going through some of the older posts in this thread I came across one of your older post where you have said the ARIA engine is more refined than safari and fortuner. And you also did mention that the engine is not a great performer in your negatives post.

Did you notice a marked difference between the TD car and your uncle's car?
Old 6th February 2011, 12:16   #605
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
Is it possible this car of your uncle has some problem? Reason I am asking is that while going through some of the older posts in this thread I came across one of your older post where you have said the ARIA engine is more refined than safari and fortuner. And you also did mention that the engine is not a great performer in your negatives post.

I have TD'd 4 Aria's from different dealership, 2 of them run 2k kms and 5k kms, the other 2 driven over 10K kms.

What i can say.... Its a cut above the rest.

For me, it outruns all the existing MUV's in terms of ride quality and refinement. The Aria Scores much ahead in terms of NVH levels, and cruises better than any MUV's. More so, its the best VFM preposition.

Why would'nt i buy it....? If ever i had a mind to sell existing cars, if ever i had that kind of parking space, and if ever i had that moolah, the Aria would have been in my Stable. Who knows........!

No one can deny this fact that ARIA is BETTER than any MUV's in the Indian Market today

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 6th February 2011 at 12:19.
Old 7th February 2011, 17:10   #606
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Most new drivers stall the Aria in specific situations just like in the Yeti, it's a bit to do with Larger Turbos in C-Rail Engines and getting the max effeciency out of it.

Raj

I too used to stall once a day in the early periods of ownership, now it is down to once a month, it never happened in a year in the TCIC safari, but yet the power that the Aria delivers when on the boil along with the stability, braking and safe control over all kinds of roads need to be actually tried to be understood.

My new driver and then one more a month later both faced the same issue but they would not stall more than once a week once they understood how the car is to be driven.

One can pick in Second gear from standstill as well but one just needs to get the hand of it, it goes at a steady 18 kmph without any acceleration in second gear as part of the anti stall mechanism.

I believe that this is much more drivable than the earlier and current safari as well as the fortuner, but as mentioned there is a technique that one needs to get used to and that requires a couple of days.

The Stalling issue can be worked around
Old 7th February 2011, 18:26   #607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
I think Raj you are trying to compare the Dicor with mHawk mHawk is one of the best diesels I have ever driven on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
You are right Raj, but I was only comparing the powerplant. mHawk will be there in the newer (read more expensive) SUV's from M&M soon.

To be very frank, I have not driven a Safari, but have had some friendly encounters with Safaris on the highway, and the Ghats, some of which are pretty steep and found that the Scorpio had an edge when climbing and overtaking.
Upreti you are actually comparing gearbox and gearing ratios not engines :-) , Scorpio first and second gear is not so low as Safari so it works well in initial pickup in urban traffic but I have experienced 2WD Safari works well in hill climb and muddy roads due to lower gear ratio.

Secondly most of the time if the driver is cautious and inexperienced on hill drive he will loose nerves in whatever vehicle. And by that logic sometimes I feel Taxi Indicas are mightiest as their drivers don't bet an eyelid ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Most new drivers stall the Aria in specific situations just like in the Yeti, it's a bit to do with Larger Turbos in C-Rail Engines and getting the max effeciency out of it.
Well I think the Aria gear ratios and ergonomics are better then Safari but still some may find it not easy as petrol sedans.

I never stalled Safari but my father managed to do that when he drove for first time 2 years back because of long throw of gear lever and long clutch pedal travel. He never expected that one need to move limbs so much after driving petrol sedan for so many years.
Old 7th February 2011, 21:27   #608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post

Yes, I still say that the Aria is more refined than the safari & fortuner. but the low end performance is very bad.

Quote:
Raj

I too used to stall once a day in the early periods of ownership, now it is down to once a month, it never happened in a year in the TCIC safari, but yet the power that the Aria delivers when on the boil along with the stability, braking and safe control over all kinds of roads need to be actually tried to be understood.
Aha, so I am not alone! what i still feel is that, in such a heavy & powerful car, TATA should have given it good low end torque.
Old 7th February 2011, 22:58   #609
BANNED

"ESP OFF" switch removed from center console

i wanted to post this earlier but resisted myself from doing so;

Tata motors removed the ESP OFF switch from the center console of the Aria, meaning ESP cannot be switched off and it is on all the time.
Why? Tata motors feels that it can be misused in India and the Aria when sold abroad will have it. The issue here is that while using the vehicle off-road in certain situations having ESP ON can pose a problem, my point is that if they think that people will misuse ESP in India what about the lower trims of the Aria which have do not have ESP (as good as ESP off) wont they misuse their Aria! Taking into consideration that this technology is new, still;

Why behave so juvenile and sound so ridiculous? Any input on this will be appreciated.
Old 8th February 2011, 10:44   #610
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Dmehta - Noticed you posted a query on all the 4 Aria threads. Looking at picking up one? If go go ahead and do it, you will not regret it.

I have driven the Aria over untarred and slippery roads and really have not found the ESP indicator lighting up too much, infact it lights up more in the Laura which does have the ESP off option but i have never used it (i.e. it is in always on mode) except once just to check it out.

I think there can be lot of logic that one puts into wondering why the option of switching off ESP was not given in the Aria but in real life usage, it is something that has never seemed like a requirement, maybe they just saved 300 bucks (Switch and cabling) and removed a potential failure point that is not really required.

I do ofcourse agree that the marketing guys at TATA could have figured out a better reason for not having the switch, but really its not required.

By the way misuse as they indicated may have been related to it being switched on and off in vehicles with ESP only (not for the lower model) while on the move and that could potentially be a cause of concern. Just as cannot / should not switch on and off the normal 4X4 in varous modes while on the move (know about shift on the fly). This is likely to be similar and someone could possibly play with the switch and switch it off while the car is moving a a fast velocity with the possibility of certain complications.

These systems are very complex and need to be treated with respect.
Old 16th February 2011, 09:59   #611
BHPian

Hi after going through few comments over here and being an Aria owner I feel like adding few things to the discussion.

The gear ratios from the first day haven't been a problem. Me and my dad both have never till date stalled the car during the initial pick up. From the first day itself we have never faced that issue. I am quite aware of the bulk of the vehicle so I sort of avoid taking the car in city traffic or crowded places otherwise whenever I have had the misfortune to take the car through crowded streets the car has handled quite well. It is like gear ratios have never been a problem in start stop traffic.

After driving my swift D and switching with Aria I have never felt any difference if you talk about the 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. There is zilch turbo lag for me as I have gotten quite used to it.

Driving the car on four lane highways and expressways is alright but the real fun starts on 2 lane highways. just on tuesday me and my bro in law went to some place that is 45 kms from akola and I drove on that smooth 2 lane highway and man that is what I call sheer driving pleasure. the car just shows its true colors in ride and handling department.

Just that you cant do 60 kmph in 5th gear. 5th gear starts only above 75kmph if the A/C is on economy mode and above 80 kmph if on normal mode.
Old 16th February 2011, 10:23   #612
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

PSB

I actually go down to 60 in 5th (though I enter 5th normally beyond 90 (driver does it at about 75) and am able to again pick up speed in 5th from 60 as well. (of course the only reason to do this is the feeling too lazy to shift down.

You are quite right the smooth drive is enjoyed the most on the tar roads and 2X2 lanes rather than on expressways, where it is a bit booring. Infact even going through ghat sections is fun.
Old 21st February 2011, 14:31   #613
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

PSB

Yep you are very correct, did mention that the only reason to to go down to 60 in 5th would be when one is tired of driving in and out of traffic and feels too lazy.

The engines are designed to take a lot more abuse than this.
Old 25th February 2011, 16:58   #614
BHPian

Quote:
These systems are very complex and need to be treated with respect.
I guess that is a good way to sum it up. But regarding the point you made about the potential failure, i feel that Tata's should have shown some more confidence and let the button stay there. After all many other high end cars have this.

Though, from you opinion i agree that the ESP off switch is not used much.

Anyway kudos to Tata for a brilliant product!

Last edited by Zappex : 25th February 2011 at 17:42. Reason: Typo
Old 25th February 2011, 18:48   #615
BHPian

Facebook page of Tata Aria says they have crossed 10,000 marks in this Month.
http://www.facebook.com/tataaria#!/photo.php?fbid=201301556548496&set=a.1654521668001 02.36762.137008006311185&theater

I am wondering 300 odd figures per month till last month could not aggregate to this whopping 10,000 mark. This is possible only when Tata sells more tha 8000 Arias in this month. I am little doubtful about this.

1000 or 10,000, could be typo.

If this figure is true then I think we all will be floored by this number.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks