Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2010, 15:17   #406
Senior - BHPian

This has all the makings of a winner - and they've priced it quite boldly - taking on a whole range of competition. The large family has a decent looking option, finally.
Old 24th October 2010, 15:50   #407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
There are also 4 more Air Bags, ESP, Cruise Control. I'm not sure, but I'd think the price difference is justified.
No. The above is difference between Pride (top end) and Prestige (mid variant). My question was on Prestige vs Pleasure (low end). Somehow I feel the price difference across these two variants is not justified.

Last edited by sbraj : 24th October 2010 at 15:51.
Old 24th October 2010, 17:44   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Hey! It's Sunday, did you get your car on time? If so, where's the review + Photos!!
No, not yet. The Tata Motors person is supposed to arrive on Monday for PDI (and PDI training?). So the earliest might be Wednesday/Thursday.
Old 24th October 2010, 21:23   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
We

Interesting comments on the thread on the pricing. One point that I noticed - Prestige variant has alloy wheels, leather seats, climate control extra over Pleasure variant. Does this warrant a 1.6 Lakh price difference? The pricing strategy of the variants is leaving me confused.
well you forgot to add auto headlamps and wipers. though maybe not very game changing but they add a luxurious touch along with electrically retractable OVRMs ..
As for alloy wheels I guess 17" alloy wheels that are standard for the prestige variant would be more expensive than 16" steel wheels.

Dunno of how much use Auto climate is really.. I would agree that comparing the variants is even leaving me a bit confused.. But in anycase we have booked the pride variant which is 2.5 lacs more expensive but I would say a small price to pay for the features we are getting.. 6 airbags, leather seats, gps, esp etc.

I had tried to convince my dad to go for the Prestige version but he wont listen.. Infact I was alright with even the pleasure variant.. As even the pleasure variant according to me isnt lacking in anything apart from 17'' alloys.. I have an SX4 zxi and till date I dont really get the use of auto climate feature. So if you really need to qualify for the leather seats option only then go for the prestige variant.

If you dont go for the leather upholstery then you would be saving only 40k on the prestige all fabric version while still paying almost 1.2 lacs for really avoidable features. And keep one thing in mind if you do decide to go for Aria. Get your own insurance done as the tata dealership is charging atleast 18 to 20k extra.

I have even read that you wanted the headlamps to be of a bigger size.. Let me assure you mate.. I have test driven the Aria while it was raining and I was amazed with how illuminated the road was..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterB View Post
No, not yet. The Tata Motors person is supposed to arrive on Monday for PDI (and PDI training?). So the earliest might be Wednesday/Thursday.
Well really waiting for some feedback from an owner.. Was really visiting the thread to check whether you have received the car or not.. Anyway hope that Tata dealerships dont extend their practice of false delivery commitments even with the Aria. Have you purchased their showroom model?? We have still not got any confirm delivery date as such.. The dealership guys say that it would be after 8 weeks and Tata Motor's Marketing head says that it would start in 3 weeks time.. And are you going for the insurance that your dealership is offering??
Old 25th October 2010, 09:18   #410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbali View Post
I have even read that you wanted the headlamps to be of a bigger size.. Let me assure you mate.. I have test driven the Aria while it was raining and I was amazed with how illuminated the road was..
I could not check the headlamps in rain, but I am sure they are effective. Even otherwise, there are (post purchase) options if one wishes to do so. My comment was not on the effectiveness, but that slightly bigger headlamps might have enhanced the front looks for a vehicle of this size.
Old 25th October 2010, 10:03   #411
Senior - BHPian

just read here that the Aria weighs 2720 kgs!!! i noticed it just now. thats even heavier than the fortuner at 2510 kgs & almost a ton more than other 4WDs like santa fe & captiva!

what is it made of? no wonder the performance is not all that great.
Old 25th October 2010, 10:11   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Well really waiting for some feedback from an owner.. Was really visiting the thread to check whether you have received the car or not.. Anyway hope that Tata dealerships dont extend their practice of false delivery commitments even with the Aria. Have you purchased their showroom model?? We have still not got any confirm delivery date as such.. The dealership guys say that it would be after 8 weeks and Tata Motor's Marketing head says that it would start in 3 weeks time.. And are you going for the insurance that your dealership is offering??
I had selected one of the vehicles from the initial lot of 6 vehicles they had in the yard. For any other color/model the sales guy told about a 3weeks lead time.

Regarding insurance the following is what I had done.

Quote:
I have taken ICICI Lombard (from outside) for 39K. Concorde was asking for 50K+ for the same. HDFC Ergo didn't have cashless facility with Concorde here.
Old 25th October 2010, 11:03   #413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
just read here that the Aria weighs 2720 kgs!!! i noticed it just now. thats even heavier than the fortuner at 2510 kgs & almost a ton more than other 4WDs like santa fe & captiva!

That is the gross weight along with payload netweight is 21XX Kg.
BTW seeing your comment on performance did you benchmark or try against something in your test drive ?
Old 25th October 2010, 11:17   #414
BHPian

Quote:
I had selected one of the vehicles from the initial lot of 6 vehicles they had in the yard. For any other color/model the sales guy told about a 3weeks lead time.

Regarding insurance the following is what I had done.
Wow man.. Just now called the dealership to inquire about the delivery period and inform that the insurance will be done by us..

Still the same story about delivery after 2 months and was telling me that insurance if done from outside covers only 75% of the vehicle cost and if taken from them, would cover 95% of the vehicle cost..

Anyway insurance is a totally different thing.. The dealership must have not purchased 6 arias like your dealership must have..
Old 25th October 2010, 11:26   #415
BHPian

A brilliantly edited, nice point to point review. The car has better interiors compared to the other segment. I feel the price for the car is high enough. This time Tata did not compromise on interior quality. For those who are passionate about the Crossover or MUV who are really in need for such a vehicle is an optimal choice.

Additionally, at some place I have read the resale value of this vehicle would be less due to Tata branding, but I feel the resale prices of most of the high end vehicles do not meet. It almost comes to be same statistically.
Old 25th October 2010, 11:53   #416
BHPian

GTO, Rehaan, i stumbled on this thread fairly recently and an excellent report you both have compiled. I really loved how you summarized the likes and dislikes in the beginning. Rated 5*
Keep em' comin
Old 25th October 2010, 11:59   #417
Senior - BHPian

Had gone to the A.S.S to enquire about the manza & did a TD of the Aria.

Listing down only the postives here as negatives by me are not received well by some-

1) Pics dont do justice to this car. You have to see this car in flesh, it has got amazing presence, especially in white & from front.
2) The front seats are damn comfortable & very very spacious, even for a 6+ footer like me.
3) The engine is more refined than the safari. i feel its better than fortuner too, but i am not sure.
4) I test drove the PRESTIGE variant & i feel the base PLEASURE variant is the most VFM. it has got everything you need but the beige interiors does NOT come in leather & no automatic climate control. Else the Prestige variant is the best buy if you need a bit more oomph like alloys, black & plum leather interiors, auto wipers, etc.
5) The ride quality is better than the innova but not as good as the safari. cannot comment on handling as i dint try any high speed cornering.
6) the driving position is not very car like as in innova nor very upright SUV like too. its somewhere in between.
7) I liked the way the bonnet auto lifts, gives a premium feel!!!

Overall, i like this car. it brings a smile on your face & that itself speaks a lot for the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
That is the gross weight along with payload netweight is 21XX Kg.
BTW seeing your comment on performance did you benchmark or try against something in your test drive ?
PMed you.
Old 25th October 2010, 13:43   #418
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No. The above is difference between Pride (top end) and Prestige (mid variant). My question was on Prestige vs Pleasure (low end). Somehow I feel the price difference across these two variants is not justified.
Trust me all three variants justify their pricing, with the feature and spec difference independently.

Quote:
well you forgot to add auto headlamps and wipers. though maybe not very game changing but they add a luxurious touch along with electrically retractable OVRMs ..
As for alloy wheels I guess 17" alloy wheels that are standard for the prestige variant would be more expensive than 16" steel wheels.

Dunno of how much use Auto climate is really.. I would agree that comparing the variants is even leaving me a bit confused.. But in anycase we have booked the pride variant which is 2.5 lacs more expensive but I would say a small price to pay for the features we are getting.. 6 airbags, leather seats, gps, esp etc.

I had tried to convince my dad to go for the Prestige version but he wont listen.. Infact I was alright with even the pleasure variant.. As even the pleasure variant according to me isnt lacking in anything apart from 17'' alloys.. I have an SX4 zxi and till date I dont really get the use of auto climate feature. So if you really need to qualify for the leather seats option only then go for the prestige variant.
The automatic climate control lets one set and maintain a constant temperature in the in the car irrespective of it being the journey start, the sun going up or down, or you being in the shade or out in the open, basically instead of constantly changing the temp and the blower controls, the car manages all that, it instead of the normal scenario where the communication is one way and there is not feedback, has feedback through a temp sensor that detects the air inhouse. In other cars, the quality of the air to is detected, don't know if that is done in the Aria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post

Actual wt is 21XX, 2720 is the gross wt, infact the Aria with a similar base net wt as the Fortuner, mentions a higher gross wt compared to the fortuner gross wt, indicating a difference in the wt they calculate for passengers and luggage.

Quote:
Wow man.. Just now called the dealership to inquire about the delivery period and inform that the insurance will be done by us..

Still the same story about delivery after 2 months and was telling me that insurance if done from outside covers only 75% of the vehicle cost and if taken from them, would cover 95% of the vehicle cost..
One can get 95% of the value covered from outside for about 20-25K less than the dealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
Thanks for the (only) reply. My question was not on what is ESP, but TBhpians view of it as a safety feature, and what monetary value are they prepared to put on it. Given the constant moaning about (lack of) ABS and airbags on this forum, would have thought ESP would have figured prominently in the discussions.

Would not consider Laura/ Superb etc to be my ride of choice for Indian highways.
Laura is probably safer than the Aria on a highway, in the sense that it is planted. The faster one goes the more likely one is to require the ESP assistance, I have seen the ESP light go up only on a few instances in the last 3 years with the Laura, and would most likely have managed to control the vehicle on my own in those instances as well, it quite like an Airbag, that one wishes one never needs to use, and yet feels assured to have. Even ABS that has been touted quite a bit, has been triggered only 4 times in the same number of years by me, and once it did help me stop before I banged into a autorickshaw that had made a sudden stop in front of me.

Most people believe that they are using ABS each time they brake, but that is not the case, and one might use it as rarely as once a year. If the brakes of a vehicle are good (with four disks) and wide tyres as in the Laura and Aria, one may use ABS rarely. One comes to know of usage of ABS, through a very clear, pedal and sound feedback that is purposely kept to let the driver know that one was near the edge.

Quote:
- Wife found it difficult to get into and out of 3rd row. She feels Innova's 2nd row (captain seats) are more comfortable that Aria's.

I am tempted to go for Aria as I see more value in function. Of course, my view point is skewed from the perspective of driver. I rarely sit in the 2nd/3rd rows.

Wife thinks since Innova is similar looking and is more comfortable, it is a better choice if we decide for a MUV. She does not like van-like looks, prefers SUVs.

Interesting comments on the thread on the pricing. One point that I noticed - Prestige variant has alloy wheels, leather seats, climate control extra over Pleasure variant. Does this warrant a 1.6 Lakh price difference? The pricing strategy of the variants is leaving me confused.
The third row is for kids and smaller adults. If you are looking for a 6-7 full sized people mover, than the Innova is the best for you, Aria brings style and luxury and safety to the fore, but is for 5 + 2 kids.

The price difference is warranted, also changing to the original alloys from the dealer from pleasure to prestige may revoke the suspension and transmission warranty as the tyres sizes too are different in the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_horizon View Post
Booked the Pride Variant yesterday. Color - Sardinia Red. Delivery on Dhanteras. Dealer is ready to deliver the car in a week, but we will take it on Dhanteras.
Congrats on the booking Sardina Red is what most have as a display peice (not demo vehicle) and you need to check out that it is a fresh piece that they are giving you at such short notice not the display one. -Just in case.

The features videos are really superb, they should have this running on an LCD next to the demo vehicles.

Last edited by ACM : 25th October 2010 at 13:59.
Old 25th October 2010, 13:45   #419
Senior - BHPian

Is the Aria also having a limited launch like the T-jet? I spend considerable amount of time in a Tata showroom last weekend (at Thrissur). Forget seeing the car, I don't remember seeing even a brochure or poster in the showroom for Aria. Does anyone know if Aria is on display at Concorde Motors, Cochin?
Old 25th October 2010, 14:04   #420
Senior - BHPian

I understand that I may me be too late to comment on the pricing, but, can resist doing so.

I agree that the pricing is on the higher side for a Tata branded car, but, with the list of features on offer, this is VFM, especially when the competition does not offer similar long list of features.

I believe Tata has taken a leaf from Hyundai's i20 strategy. In fact, they are justified on commanding the high price for exhaustive list of features on the vehicle. In my case, when I have to do the costing of a project, I do the same, offer maximum features, etc to my clients with the price which justifies. My clients then define their requirements, based on which the project is done in future. This has worked perfectly till date. I believe that none would like to accept peanuts in exchange of cashew kernels, & this is what Tata has done here.

Now, the ball is not in customers court, but, Tata's have to convince the customers that their A.S.S. are good for the car for which that have charged that much money from the customers.

In simple words, in the Tata Aria Package, as a whole, the most important role has to be played by Customer Care & A.S.S.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks