Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2010, 13:37   #76
BHPian

Please note that the Auto Box on the A-Star is the same one that was introduced in the New Wagon-R. So, besides an i-10 and an A-Star comparison, people could add the new wagon-r auto also for evaluation.
We test drove both, i-10 AT and new wagon-r AT, and settled for i-10 AT.
Old 20th August 2010, 14:19   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroThoughts View Post
Please note that the Auto Box on the A-Star is the same one that was introduced in the New Wagon-R. So, besides an i-10 and an A-Star comparison, people could add the new wagon-r auto also for evaluation.
We test drove both, i-10 AT and new wagon-r AT, and settled for i-10 AT.

Is the new Wagon R (blue eyed boy) available in AT?
I do not see that in MSIL website. Maruti WagonR
Old 21st August 2010, 19:51   #78
BHPian

The New WR is not available in automatic Transmission.

I have been keenly following the launch of the A-Star automatic.

My disabled cousin drives a 96 Maruti Zen A/T. The car is being used for daily commute. It feels grossly underpowered and also is a fuel guzzler. It regularly returns 7-9 kmpl. 100% city with a/c.
Only plus points the car has given bullet-proof reliable service till date and the excellent service from MASS for the 14 year old car. Service bills are really cheap.

His requirement is a fuel efficient A/T city commuter car. Price is a major constraint.

I feel the AStar fits the bill perfectly.

With a FE figure of 14KMPL in city then I am sure the 4 spd A/T would sell well.
Old 22nd August 2010, 09:29   #79

Good review & picks. Recently bought Auto i 10 for my wife. very convenient & hassle free to drive but extremely poor mileage, wonder how much A star auto consumes per litre of liquid gold(Rs 56/ltr! in pune).
Old 22nd August 2010, 10:56   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPS5441 View Post
Good review & picks. Recently bought Auto i 10 for my wife. very convenient & hassle free to drive but extremely poor mileage, wonder how much A star auto consumes per litre of liquid gold(Rs 56/ltr! in pune).
What's the mileage you are getting? How are you calculating it?
Old 24th August 2010, 09:30   #81
BHPian

In coimbatore on road price of Astar AT will be around 4.85lakhs(as per ABT maruti sales manager) and when i searched for i10 AT magna on road price i got a quote of 4.98lakhs after discounts like free insurance,cash discounts and corporate discount.That means not much difference in price(yes we get a 2speaker audio system and a driver side seat adjustment with astar and the i10 has the bigger engine and an up market interior feeling.)But as maruti correctly adds out"kitne deta hai?"aspect Astar wins clearly with a FE of 14 to 15km/l average.
Old 25th August 2010, 01:44   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Having both the vehicles in the house let me make this part clear.

FE, AStar wins by 2 to 3 kmpl more.
What engine does your i-10 have? Same driving conditions? If the AT also maintains the same advantage, then its worth going for. Otherwise i-10 is better VFM.
Old 25th August 2010, 14:20   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
What engine does your i-10 have? Same driving conditions? If the AT also maintains the same advantage, then its worth going for. Otherwise i-10 is better VFM.
Driving conditions are the same. Its an i10 Sportz with 1.2 Kappa engine.
Old 8th September 2010, 23:04   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
The Box - Shift action is easy. When driven on a light throttle, it responds, slowly but not too leisurely. The lag is not as bad as a Nissan Versa that I drove recently. Kickdown from rest, the car, takes off from low and quickly shifts to 2 then 3. There is a facility to laterally shift between 4 and 3. In real life, it was not that effective due to the ratios.
Hi,
Took an AStar Auto for a fairly long (45 mins) TD through city traffic. When dwadling at about 30Kmph on a light throttle, I found kickdown to be very inconsistent: never know whether it is going to or not going to. Did you also get this? Also, is the GB control electronic or hydraulic?

Anyway, decided against it. Will possibly go for the Alto K10 (even though it does not have ABS)

Regards
Sutripta
Old 8th September 2010, 23:07   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
Took an AStar Auto for a fairly long (45 mins) TD through city traffic. When dwadling at about 30Kmph on a light throttle, I found kickdown to be very inconsistent: never know whether it is going to or not going to. Did you also get this? Also, is the GB control electronic or hydraulic?

Anyway, decided against it. Will possibly go for the Alto K10 (even though it does not have ABS)

Regards
Sutripta
Which dealer was it?
Did you book a TD or its available on arrival?
Please let know as I plan to do a TD too.
Old 8th September 2010, 23:34   #86
Senior - BHPian

^^^^
Dewars. They said I was the first person TDing the car. It was a demo car, but still on Temp plates. Ran out of fuel on the way back!

Booked the TD. They brought the car over to my place in South Cal. I drove it back to their showroom.

Don't take it the wrong way, but what would be the purpose of your TD:- to confirm how superior the i10 is?

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 8th September 2010 at 23:40.
Old 8th September 2010, 23:46   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^^^
Dewars. They said I was the first person TDing the car. It was a demo car, but still on Temp plates. Ran out of fuel on the way back!

Booked the TD. They brought the car over to my place in South Cal. I drove it back to their showroom.

Don't take it the wrong way, but what would be the purpose of your TD:- to confirm how superior the i10 is?

Regards
Sutripta
Lolz - not quite so.
Actually we are planning to replace/upgrade my dad's ride from a 2001 M800 to something else next year (dad being out of station is the reason for delay).
Astar is one of them as dad likes the design. I thought about AT as I can then take it out (if the need be) more confidently.
We also plan to TD the polo, beat, spark, ritz etc.

And BTW - I did not miss a single kickdown whenever I needed one in my car!

P.S: Thanks for the info

Last edited by blackasta : 8th September 2010 at 23:47.
Old 9th September 2010, 00:17   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
When dwadling at about 30Kmph on a light throttle, I found kickdown to be very inconsistent: never know whether it is going to or not going to.
I think its just a matter of getting used to it.

My mum had the exact same complaint when I had her TD the Santro AT. Said that she is not able to have full control over what the car is doing.

Found that most people who have been driving/loving manuals are not willing to change their driving style.

Last edited by Mpower : 9th September 2010 at 00:18.
Old 9th September 2010, 00:36   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Found that most people who have been driving/loving manuals are not willing to change their driving style.
Same thing happened when a friend went for a TD. Kept complaining that the car does not have good pickup and when he wants to overtake he can't get good pick up. I kept trying to explain that one can get a downshift by pressing the gas pedal hard but people are not used to pressing the gas hard and all the way down. They keep tickling the acc pedal.
Old 9th September 2010, 05:47   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think its just a matter of getting used to it.

My mum had the exact same complaint when I had her TD the Santro AT. Said that she is not able to have full control over what the car is doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Same thing happened when a friend went for a TD. Kept complaining that the car does not have good pickup and when he wants to overtake he can't get good pick up. I kept trying to explain that one can get a downshift by pressing the gas pedal hard but people are not used to pressing the gas hard and all the way down. They keep tickling the acc pedal.
Also drive a Civic AT. Which most of the time I keep in D.

Regards
Sutripta

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks