Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2024, 12:04   #856

Re: Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test

Have purchased 2013 A-Star Auto from Spinny in month of March 24. Happy with the purchase but milage figures were a bit low, Hovering around 9 and 10 kmpl in city. Due to low mileage decided to fit CNG into it and did so with a CNG Retrofitter in Pune. He did a very bad fitment and car used to switch off as soon as AC is turned on. And visited installer multiple times for tune up but he was unable to tune it properly. So purchased interface cable and tuned it myself by referring to YouTube videos. Very much satisfied with the performance on CNG now.
Old 12th June 2024, 13:42   #857
Senior - BHPian

I have been facing a sporadic yet a serious issue with the brakes of my wifey's A-Star Automatic. Sometimes after going over a pot hole or a bump at a relatively high speed, the brakes fail completely and the brake pedal just goes in completely (like the clutch in a manual car) which is scary. Though this is not a regular phenomenon, it happens 3 or 4 out of 10 times.

My FNG after multiple attempts to rectify it has suggested to replace the brake master cylinder which is not in stock at any of the dealers nor or they willing to procure one from their network. Finally, have placed an order with Boodmo hoping they will deliver. Keeping fingers crossed. Meanwhile, wanted to check if any of our forum members faced a similar problem and if so the solution to this. Thanks in advance.
Old 12th June 2024, 13:58   #858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
I have been facing a sporadic yet a serious issue with the brakes of my wifey's A-Star Automatic. the brakes fail completely and the brake pedal just goes in completely (like the clutch in a manual car) which is scary. Though this is not a regular phenomenon, it happens 3 or 4 out of 10 times.
Not in our A-Star, but faced this in my Baleno1.6 & Swift1.3P. In both cases, it was the brake master cylinder that was the problem.

I would suggest you not use the car till the BMC is replaced & the issue is fixed as this is a serious issue that can catch you unaware & result in an accident. I almost rammed my Baleno into the City in front of me on the KL highway - luckily the oncoming lane was empty & I swerved into it at the last moment.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2024, 14:34   #859

Quote:
Keeping fingers crossed. Meanwhile, wanted to check if any of our forum members faced a similar problem and if so the solution to this. Thanks in advance.
Had similar issue with my Alto 800. Changing Brake Master Cylinder solved the issue.
swapk53 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2024, 15:03   #860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Not in our A-Star, but faced this in my Baleno1.6 & Swift1.3P. In both cases, it was the brake master cylinder that was the problem.

I would suggest you not use the car till the BMC is replaced & the issue is fixed as this is a serious issue that can catch you unaware & result in an accident. I almost rammed my Baleno into the City in front of me on the KL highway - luckily the oncoming lane was empty & I swerved into it at the last moment.
Precisely. All the more since its my wife who is using the car regularly more than me. Have ordered in Boodmo. I hope they deliver it and the issue gets addressed. Thanks for your inputs. Btw, are you still having your A-Star AT ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapk53 View Post
Had similar issue with my Alto 800. Changing Brake Master Cylinder solved the issue.
Thank you for the input. Much appreciated.

I will post my experience post the replacement of the brake master cylinder.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2024, 18:37   #861
BHPian

After driving through a bad road and a crashing through particularly bad gutter, my car's ABS light has turned on. The behavior is a bit funny. Once I start the car and start moving slowly, the ABS light switches off. It remains off if I drive below 20. Once the speed picks up, the ABS light turns on and doesn't turn off again.

My main concerns are

1) Is it safe to drive around with ABS light on? The braking seems perfectly fine so I believe it's only the ABS that isn't working. No highway driving - only low speed city driving. In my view it shouldn't be worse that if my car was an LXI/didn't come with ABS in the 1st place. I don't want to take it to the service center unless it is an urgent issue that cant wait.

2) What could be the problem? My view is probably the sensor on one of the wheels might have gone bad or have a loose connection. Does anyone know if the ABS connection at the wheel can be checked without going to the service center? If so I would like to check myself. Any views?
Old 24th June 2024, 22:02   #862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Btw, are you still having your A-Star AT ?
Yes. Due for fitness test next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar@v1nd View Post
1) Is it safe to drive around with ABS light on? The braking seems perfectly fine so I believe it's only the ABS that isn't working.
We had this ABS light intermittently on issue early on in our ownership & multiple attempts to debug it at MASS & FNG failed. Finally we kept using it as-is without any braking issues.

Quote:
2) What could be the problem? My view is probably the sensor on one of the wheels might have gone bad or have a loose connection. Does anyone know if the ABS connection at the wheel can be checked without going to the service center? If so I would like to check myself. Any views?
As I said, even MASS technicians couldn’t debug it & finally they said if you bring another AStar ABS, we can swap the ABS units to check the issue. We left it at that.

Anyway take it to MASS & see if they can identify the issue.
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2024, 14:30   #863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapk53 View Post
Happy with the purchase but milage figures were a bit low, Hovering around 9 and 10 kmpl in city. Due to low mileage decided to fit CNG into it and did so with a CNG Retrofitter in Pune.
What was the odometer reading when you bought it? Also please share more details about the CNG fitment.

Quote:
Does anyone know if the ABS connection at the wheel can be checked without going to the service center? If so I would like to check myself. Any views?
Any decent OBD2 scanner should tell you which wheel speed sensor is not working in LIVE mode.

Quote:
Yes. Due for fitness test next year.
Good to know ! How much driven till now and when was the last time you got your ATF changed?
Sumedik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2024, 18:30   #864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumedik View Post
Any decent OBD2 scanner should tell you which wheel speed sensor is not working in LIVE mode.
Thanks. That's a good idea. I had a generic ODBII scanner lying around but haven't used it in a while. Let me try to find it.

Quote:
We had this ABS light intermittently on issue early on in our ownership & multiple attempts to debug it at MASS & FNG failed. Finally we kept using it as-is without any braking issues.

As I said, even MASS technicians couldn’t debug it & finally they said if you bring another AStar ABS, we can swap the ABS units to check the issue. We left it at that.

Anyway take it to MASS & see if they can identify the issue.
Thanks. Hope this is not an issue common with A stars. In my case it definitely came up after crashing into a particularly large pothole so I'm hoping it is one wheel sensor that has a problem. I'll check it out in the next service.
Old 1st July 2024, 20:03   #865
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. That's a good idea. I had a generic ODBII scanner lying around but haven't used it in a while.
Vgate Icar OBD2 scanner with "SZ Viewer" app available on Playstore is your go to combo here. More generic scanners do not work, I have tried.
Old 2nd July 2024, 16:17   #866
BHPian

Quote:
Vgate Icar OBD2 scanner with "SZ Viewer" app available on Playstore is your go to combo here. More generic scanners do not work, I have tried.
I see multiple models from vgate on Amazon. Would the one listed for INR 1550 ("vgate icar 2 Bluetooth OBD II Auto Diagnostic Tool for Android Devices and windows PC Black Color") work? Or if there is a specific model you have in mind, please suggest.
Old 2nd July 2024, 22:58   #867
BHPian

Quote:
("vgate icar 2 Bluetooth OBD II Auto Diagnostic Tool for Android Devices and windows PC Black Color")
This OBD scanner would work. Do keep us posted on your findings.
Old 6th July 2024, 00:14   #868
BHPian

Quote:
This OBD scanner would work. Do keep us posted on your findings.
Apologies for the late reply - a few things going on on the personal side so didn't login over the past few days. Sure - will keep you guys posted on how this goes.
Old 10th July 2024, 09:30   #869
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Hello,

Can anybody please let me know if the A-Star AT has creep mode?
I've plans to buy a pre-owned one.

How are the shifts? Were they jerky as an AMT?, do you experience head-nods?

I'm yet to find one for test drive.
Old 11th July 2024, 00:00   #870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How much driven till now and when was the last time you got your ATF changed?
I think it has done 40K kms & change - don’t remember exactly as it’s been couple years since I used it - used by my in-laws.

I got the ATF changed 2-3 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive1987 View Post
Can anybody please let me know if the A-Star AT has creep mode? How are the shifts? Were they jerky as an AMT?, do you experience head-nods?
Yes, the A-Star_AT creeps forward (IIRC at 5kmph or so) on engaging D.
Shifts won’t be noticable by a layman - pretty seamless. I wouldn’t call it jerky.

No idea what head-nod means.
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks