Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2023, 14:34   #811
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumedik View Post
Of late I am recently noticing something peculiar...
I have been watching the ATF temperatures for some time now and have noticed that they mostly stay at 72C to 78C (OBD2 and SZ Viewer app) when the car is moving. In bumper to bumper traffic, the temperature can reach 92C.

Also, a small amount of ATF (200ml) top-up got rid of the reverse judder. Examining the fluid level in the "hot" state, the ATF level was within the two dots prior to the top-up; now it is at the top dot (max). The lower fluid level was due to the drain and refill done some time ago.
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 17:14   #812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
I have been watching the ATF temperatures for some time now and have noticed that they mostly stay at 72C to 78C (OBD2 and SZ Viewer app) when the car is moving. In bumper to bumper traffic, the temperature can reach 92C.
Thanks for this heads-up. I have never found another Astar AT owner who monitors the ATF temperature.

I have tested mine and in bumper-to-bumper conditions, the AT temperature is quite similar to yours. Highest I recorded was 97C, when ambient temperature was around 40C in Kolkata.

I believe you replaced your ATF with ZIC ATF 3. Is that correct? My car is 11+ years old so an ATF change is due, however the ATF is bright in color still and the transmission shifts normally. I am confused whether to do a drain and fill at local MASS just for peace of mind.
Sumedik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 19:18   #813
BHPian

Quote:

I believe you replaced your ATF with ZIC ATF 3. Is that correct? My car is 11+ years old so an ATF change is due, however the ATF is bright in color still and the transmission shifts normally. I am confused whether to do a drain and fill at local MASS just for peace of mind.
Yes, ZIC 3. No longer available, but ZIC 6 is. I believe Dexron 6 is backwards compatible with Dexron 3.

Honestly, now that I think about it, drain and fill is such a simple process, it can be done by anyone. But they just have to be careful about not stripping the threads while replacing the ATF filter, ensuring the new pan gasket is seated correctly when the ATF pan is refitted and tightening the bolts in the recommended order (there are so many of them overall) and torquing them to spec. Same with drain plug. Ensure you measure all the ATF drained out and replace it with the exactly the same amount of new fluid.

If you intend to keep your car, changing the ATF is a good investment (prices of ATF have shot up considerably).
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 06:31   #814
BHPian

Quote:
I believe Dexron 6 is backwards compatible with Dexron 3.
Yes this is correct. However as per this thread Dexron 6 is not interchangable with JWS3309 (The standard of Mobile ATF 3309, which is suggested by Maruti as alternative to Suzuki ATF 3317)https://https://bobistheoilguy.com/f...t-71141.60283/

Also attaching a PDF which has a comparison of equivalent ATF standards for everyone's benefit. As per the same, any Dexron 3 equivalent ATF would suffice.

I also found this Dexron 3 product on Amazon, will check if it is compatible.

https://www.amazon.in/TRANSMAX-transmission-fluid-power-steering/dp/B0B7P43M2Y/ref=asc_df_B0B7P43M2Y/?tag=googleshopdes-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=620775482790&hvpos=&hvnetw= g&hvrand=292214745751827082&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt= &hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9299628&hvta rgid=pla-1776609170324&psc=1

The issue is that it is next to impossible to get such technical queries resolved from MSIL. Even their user manuals give contradictory information like suggesting ATF change every 24 months for harsh driving conditions in manuals of some cars using same transmission and skipping the 11 years time based change schedule in others (also using same transmission)!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Comparison Table - ATF.pdf (113.6 KB, 214 views)
Old 22nd June 2023, 04:08   #815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been watching the ATF temperatures for some time now and have noticed that they mostly stay at 72C to 78C (OBD2 and SZ Viewer app) when the car is moving.
Can you share the link of the adaptor that you are using on the OBD port? Just name or what is the specific thing to look for would be good.
Old 22nd June 2023, 12:39   #816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Can you share the link of the adaptor that you are using on the OBD port? Just name or what is the specific thing to look for would be good.
Vgate brand. Don't know if this is still available on Amazon.

Earlier generic one I bought did not pass the OBD-2 verification test on the SZ app. You can download other apps solely for testing your adapter OBDII compatibility from the Play store.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test-screenshot_20230622_122704.png  

mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2023, 20:48   #817
Senior - BHPian

Ordered the igate pro. I will let you know in the obd thread on how it goes. Thank you.
Old 22nd June 2023, 23:17   #818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vgate brand. Don't know if this is still available on Amazon.

Earlier generic one I bought did not pass the OBD-2 verification test on the SZ app. You can download other apps solely for testing your adapter OBDII compatibility from the Play store.
A noob question - What info does this give? Does it also give info on sensors around the Air conditioner/ABS/Air Intake? Or cylinder mis-fire? Wanted to buy one to check these for possible replacements rather than blindly trusting the workshops.
jinojohnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2023, 23:21   #819
BHPian

Quote:
Ordered the igate pro. I will let you know in the obd thread on how it goes. Thank you.
Hi, is this compatible with iphone? Can you please post the link to the product from the site that you bought it from?
Old 22nd June 2023, 23:52   #820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
Hi, is this compatible with iphone? Can you please post the link to the product from the site that you bought it from?
Sure. I have ordered this item -

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B06XGB4873/

Regarding compatibility with iphone, I am not sure, it connects via bluetooth, so there should be some apps that should take care of it. I plan on using torque pro via android.
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 03:17   #821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
Here is the app creator's website, you can get full details here and contact him too: https://malykh.com/soft/sz-viewer/

It seems to have a Mac version, but not iPhone app.

Quote:
Sure. I have ordered this item - I plan on using torque pro via android.
Please use SZ Viewer from Android Playstore to get real time readings of parameters like ABS and AT. Do keep us posted on what the AT temperatures are during your drives.

Quote:
The lower fluid level was due to the drain and refill done some time ago.
How many kilometers have you covered (approximately) since your drain and fill?

Last edited by Sumedik : 23rd June 2023 at 03:18.
Old 25th June 2023, 09:36   #822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
A noob question - What info does this give?
Every imaginable info!

Download the SZ APP and put it in demo mode. You don't even need a dongle or connection. You can check all the parameters displayed (some will obviously not be available on some car models).
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2023, 09:50   #823
BHPian

Quote:
Here is the app...

How many kilometers have you covered (approximately) since your drain and fill?
About 25K.

About judder in reverse
Topping up ATF did not solve the problem. Took it to Canaraa Auto Centre in JP Nagar 7th Phase. Mr Venkatesh diagnosed it as front brake pads jamming up in reverse. Greased the caliper pins and cleaned the pads. The reverse judder seems to have gone away.
Old 25th June 2023, 23:08   #824
BHPian

Quote:
Sure. I have ordered this item -

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B06XGB4873/

Regarding compatibility with iphone, I am not sure, it connects via bluetooth, so there should be some apps that should take care of it. I plan on using torque pro via android.
Thanks Govigov! Any idea how this is better than products that list between 1k and 2k like the one below?
https://amzn.eu/d/1vF0OpZ

TIA
Old 8th August 2023, 10:01   #825
BHPian

Hello All, I have almost finalised pre owned Astar Automatic 2010 model which has 34k on the ODO. This car has undergone all regular services in authorised service station. This is Vxi ABS model but doesn’t comes with remote for central locking.

Need all your expert advice on things I need to get checked/replaced considering it is 12+ year old. Am yet to take delivery of the car and all your advices may help narrow down the issues and fix them prior taking it to roads. This car will be primarily driven by my wife and so am being over concerned here ��

Below are my observations during the test drive:

1. Engine has no extra or rattles noises and settles down smoothly.
2. No oil leaks found and no signs of opening the engine blocks.
3. No major body repairs are done as all factory joints/ punches are intact.
4. There are some suspension noises while passing over bad patches. What would be the cost to replace all ?
5. There is a shaky noise from silencer when revving the car. Probably due to worn out mounts.
6. Tyres are brand new, Brakes are working as expected and no wheel noises too.
7. Music system is turning on and can tune FM stations too but however no sound is coming. Guessing it could be due to wiring issue that is connected to speakers or may be speakers itself are gone. Need your advice.
8. Interiors are well maintained but since there were no additional seat covers was installed it has stains all over the seats. Planning to get it replaced with budget options.
9. Gears shifts smoothly and no hardness or rubbery feeling.
10. Headlights are fogged.

My question particularly would be on,

1. What are the rubber parts like belts, mounts that are to be replaced considering the age of the vehicle? What would be the approx cost
2. What else to be checked for in the vehicle before taking the delivery ?
2. What aftermarket remote central locking is good in budget ?
3. Need contacts in Bangalore who refurbished headlights and also for fixing seat covers in budget.
4. What all oils to be replaced ? Should I change to synthetic oil ? If so what would be the suitable grade.

All other relevant advices/ information are welcomed.

Thank you all in advance.

Last edited by RaviGowda : 8th August 2023 at 10:13.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks