Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2023, 23:56   #796
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgesunnyt View Post
My A Star AT had a rattle sound too, coming from the exhaust area. Changed two exhaust mounts, one in front of exhaust which had broken completely and one near the muffler. This eliminated the rattle sounds. There's a total of 4 exhaust mounts. I would recommend changing all 4 of them.
I'm yet to change the engine mounts. I might try changing engine mounts in the future since other bhpians mention it to make a difference as well.
Thanks georgesunny. I'll check these also out. How much did these exhaust mounts cost you ? If they are cheap I might just change all 4 like you suggested in case it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The A-Star was an export model, and the VXi definitely came with ABS. (Our AT version is a VXi trim, and has ABS). The badging on your car may have fallen off long back.
I think his car is manual & not AT. The speedo console photo doesn't seem to have the gear position indicator light (should come on the left side). Now when I check again, it looks to me like the ABS module is also missing in the engine bay, so I guess it's a manual VXI without ABS. The AT as you mentioned came in only one variant - VXI with ABS.
ar@v1nd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2023, 02:01   #797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar@v1nd View Post
Thanks georgesunny. I'll check these also out. How much did these exhaust mounts cost you ? If they are cheap I might just change all 4 like you suggested in case it helps.
They costed under 1000rs for me including labour. I don't remember the exact amount.
georgesunnyt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 07:59   #798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar@v1nd View Post
I think his car is manual & not AT. The speedo console photo doesn't seem to have the gear position indicator light (should come on the left side). Now when I check again, it looks to me like the ABS module is also missing in the engine bay, so I guess it's a manual VXI without ABS. The AT as you mentioned came in only one variant - VXI with ABS.
Right. This one is manual.
Old 13th March 2023, 09:00   #799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
Has anyone got the head unit of the A Star changed to a single DIN unit? Would like to hear the experience and if it makes a positive impact on the audio quality.
I have the lxi, i suppose the harness and slot will be the same in the vxi once you remove the facade, or else you can use the one from lxi.
Sound quality is lot better than the stock one. Not sure if these are still available,got sony xplod HU with alpine speakers nearly 12 years back, still holding up well.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test-dsc_2443.jpg  

saion666 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 20:18   #800
BHPian

This purchase is getting a lot of love on Facebook.

Last edited by Aditya : 15th March 2023 at 05:52. Reason: Typo
Old 13th March 2023, 23:48   #801
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shresan23 View Post
So, this might seem a bit pretentious, but it is not.

Under our budget of 2.5 lakhs, there were four cars.

1. Hyundai i10 era @ 70k kms
2. Suzuki A-Star
3. Suzuki Alto @ 40k kms
4. Ford Figo
A-Star is a great car and I have been driving one for the past 37000 km. I got mine when the odo was at 50K and have changed all major parts like shockers, arm, clutch, and rack since then. The car is fun to drive and has very good high-speed stability due to its weight.
I think you overpaid nearly 30% for the car but that is common when you buy a car through a dealer.
Old 16th March 2023, 10:19   #802
BHPian

Quote:
The A-Star was an export model, and the VXi definitely came with ABS. (Our AT version is a VXi trim, and has ABS). The badging on your car may have fallen off long back.

Regarding FM - if you listen to it, keep the antenna vertical or at least close to vertical. I prefer to keep the antenna flat (lowered) on my cars, but on the A-Star doing this causes the signals to be not picked up well. ... But no way to cut out those ads and the stupid talk. As for changing to a single-din player, check the thread by @Sankar. You will need an adapter plate for the slot so that the 1-din HU can match the contours of the dashboard. Not sure if they are available now (used to be there on Aliexpress long back. Dont remember amazon if they had it)
VXI MT didn't come with ABS. Only the AT got ABS.
Old 16th March 2023, 10:22   #803
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varun_HexaGuy View Post
VXI MT didn't come with ABS. Only the AT got ABS.
The Zxi trim level also had ABS.
Old 16th March 2023, 10:44   #804
BHPian

Quote:
The Zxi trim level also had ABS.
That's the obvious. ZXI had both ABS and airbags.
Old 16th March 2023, 10:59   #805
BHPian

Vxi AT has one airbag and ABS
Old 16th April 2023, 19:17   #806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shresan23 View Post
Thanks a ton. Vxi is the variant..
Congrats!
I have 2009 Zxi with 75k on the odo and going strong. This is a good car and will serve you well.
I have been using iftex system-g consistently and it helps make the car more peppy specially at the low end. You may want to give it a try. Feel free to PM if you need help with any specifics.
Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test-img_20230325_153400582_hdr3.jpg

Quote:
You will need an adapter plate for the slot so that the 1-din HU can match the contours of the dashboard. Not sure if they are available now (used to be there on Aliexpress long back. Dont remember amazon if they had it)
I am in the process of changing the HU. Got myself a pioneer MVH-S219BT to overcome the lack of USB.
The LXI variants dash kit is available on boodmo for Rs.350.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
Vxi AT has one airbag and ABS
I think AT only had ABS. No airbags.
rajathv8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 09:45   #807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
Congrats!
I have 2009 Zxi with 75k on the odo and going strong. This is a good car and will serve you well.
I have been using iftex system-g consistently and it helps make the car more peppy specially at the low end. You may want to give it a try. Feel free to PM if you need help with any specifics. .
Thanks a ton.
I havent gotten the time to leave the car at my local MAS due to my tight schedule. Only after i get a green signal from those guys, i will look for modifications, enhancements and everything else. Many people recommended this. I will surely ping you if i have any doubts.
I have only one question, does the left wheel give out a grinding noise when you turn it all the way to the left?
Old 17th April 2023, 11:01   #808
BHPian

No it does not.
Is this a rubber against road sort of noise or a mechanical noise? And is this when the car is in motion or when stationary?
Ideally one should not turn the steering when the car is stationary as it puts a high load on the steering components. Can you check when the car is slowly in motion < 5kmph?

Drive it around for sometime and get an idea of all the issues that need to be addressed.

At first service you should:
- stay with the car in the service bay
- change all fluids - oil, gear, coolant, brake
- change all filters - air, oil, fuel, cabin
- check spark plug condition and change if necessary
- brake cleaning
- when on lift - visually check suspension, drive shaft boots, exhaust bushes and any sign of underbody hits etc
- get alignment and balancing done from a reputed shop and not from the service center
- check wiper condition, replace from outside if possible as the Maruti ones aren't very good

DIY :
- Give the car a good long wash and wax session
- interior cleaning
- vaccuming

These will allow you to know your car a lot better. Specially the DIY parts.

PS: Mine was bought used at 32k

Last edited by rajathv8 : 17th April 2023 at 11:15.
Old 20th April 2023, 12:16   #809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
No it does not.
Is this a rubber against road sort of noise or a mechanical noise? And is this when the car is in motion or when stationary?
Ideally one should not turn the steering when the car is stationary as it puts a high load on the steering components. Can you check when the car is slowly in motion < 5kmph?
That sound comes everytime. From standstill, while moving, making a u turn, everything. Its not rubber against road, it seems like metal on metal or plastic on metal (highly unlikely). It comes only when the steering is turned 100% to the left, if i turn it even 95%, it is silent and smooth as butter. Seems to be specific.

And i have one more question. What is the fuel capacity? How much is the reserve? How much fuel is left, if the last bar is blinking?

Last edited by shresan23 : 20th April 2023 at 12:17. Reason: additions
Old 20th April 2023, 13:00   #810
BHPian

One issue few A-Stars had was with the drive shaft. The symptom is similar to what you mentioned - sound at full lock but it was a kat-kat sound not a grinding one. Cant comment further since I dint experience this personally.

Capacity is 35L. Manual does not mention the reserve capacity.
Best to refuel before the light blinks.
rajathv8 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks