Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2014, 02:35   #526
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test

We have bought A-Star AT for wifey last month and I have also driven it quite a while in the last few days. I found the ride and handling quite comfortable and am really impressed by the pocket rocket.
Never ever imagined that I will buy this car someday and never imagined that I will become a fan of this car. Now I understand the significance of the words "highly satisfied A-Star owners and loyal customer base" in the review.
The mileage on first refill returned an impressive 14 KMPL as this was the main criteria for preferring it over i10 AT, am sure it will improve further.
Here are the pics of the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test-img2014022200953.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test-img2014022200954.jpg  

carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2014, 17:04   #527
BHPian

Just back from a 400+ kms trip, mix of great roads and non-existent roads. As usual, the car performed very well. Top speed was about 140 kmph.

I also faced the starting problem at Ooty, at low temperature close to zero. The car was parked facing the lake and it was not used for almost a day.
Old 23rd February 2014, 21:35   #528
BHPian

Had written this poem in the A-Star Discontinued thread, just wanted to post it here as well, an ode to a great car:

An Ode to A Star

You were at first a concept
At the 2008 Auto Expo

You looked so Sharp
Cut like a knife

Could this be the new Zen?
With bated breath we waited for a while

Yet when you were first produced
With your gaping maw

We all went, ewwww....
That looks like a frog!

The road tests of the day
Did not help you any

You were better to drive than an i10
Yet worse in so other many

Aspects which the car buyer wants
Criticized for your lack of space
That was a constant taunt

Yet you solidered on
With a few hundred units a month

As your cheap and boxy cousins
Took the spotlight in front

And then one day
You got an Automatic

You were the most affordable
Way of relaxing in traffic

And yet they ignored you
They still do

In favour of Swift's, wagonR's and Celerio's
You were written off too soon

And yet those who knew
Who gave you a home

Know your true worth
That you're a star who shone

As something different from the herd
A different set of priorities

You gave us handling, steering feel
And good Maruti build quality

They should have given you a new name
Should have called you ZEN

For you are his true successor
Not that Estilo has-been

But alas, you fade away
Replaced by a more practical other

But you will never be forgotten
You're a star, my brother
avi550m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 12:57   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Just back from a 400+ kms trip, mix of great roads and non-existent roads. As usual, the car performed very well. Top speed was about 140 kmph.

I also faced the starting problem at Ooty, at low temperature close to zero. The car was parked facing the lake and it was not used for almost a day.
Hmm , This engine is really frugal, my last weekend drive between Bangalore-Chennai-Bangalore returned me 20.5kmpl at speeds between 90-100km/hr.

Most of the pothholes till Chennai have been patched up but were quite uneven though.

The astar has a stiff suspension, it does not like to be slowed down on these uneven patched surfaces, the passengers could feel every bit of the unevenness. The trick is not to slow down over these patched up areas, the car glides over them comfortably without disturbance.

On the krishnagiri-vellore stretch I tried checking the top speed, my car did not cross 120 in spite of pedal to metal acceleration, it is not a concern though, but I am really surprised that it took you to 140.

I am planning to do some dampening on the doors and a-pillar sometimes next month, the insulation is decent being a maruti.
Old 26th February 2014, 14:50   #530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd.bell
Planning to buy used 2010 A-star AT from Maruti True-Value. Did any of the current/ex A-star AT owners face any major issues with the AT box till now? Just wondering if it's going to be too expensive to maintain the car once the warranty period is over.
Our A_Star-AT has crossed 3 years, with the last 1 year out of warranty. No issues with AT or anything else. Just a routine service every 10K kms / 1 year. This being our first AT car, on getting the car I had given the manual an extra detailed read than I would do normally and was pleasantly surprised to read that the AT-fluid is good for 1.4lakh kms or so (unlike other fluids that we change at 10K / 20K intervals). which is basically a car lifetime. I was expecting ATs to be maintenance intensive, which does not seem to be the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean
On the krishnagiri-vellore stretch I tried checking the top speed, my car did not cross 120 in spite of pedal to metal acceleration, it is not a concern though, but I am really surprised that it took you to 140.
With our car being used in Kerala and the highways there being what they are, I could never even think of checking the max speed on this car. I think the max I would have done would be 90 or maybe an occasional nudge to 100 before backing off. Though I won't need anything more than 90/100 in Kerala till they build the planned-for-years 4/6 lane tolled highways, a top speed of 120 does seem too low for this 1000cc car, given that I clearly remember touching 120 on our 1985 M800 in the mid-nineties on the then low-traffic Cherthala - Cochin stretch of NH47.
Old 6th March 2014, 22:38   #531
BHPian

Can anyone tell me the max RPM the engine can go up to, I have sustained driven it at 4500+ rpm for 15-20 km at about 110 kph because i did not realise I had locked in 3 and not in D, Any damage chances?
Old 7th March 2014, 12:16   #532
Senior - BHPian

^^^Given that the AT version does not have a Tachometer, how do you know that you drove it at 4500rpm ?

Also, there isn't really much of a difference between the D and 3 gears - so no big deal. To quote Ajmat from the review :
"Liked the lateral shift in order to downshift between 3-4. The ratios are so close, it does not make a difference in real life."

Also, the lateral shift means, it is very easy to have the gear-stalk move to 3 while you think you are in D, like it happened to you.
I find the whole gate-design of the A-Star's a pain. I would any day prefer the straight-line design like in the City etc.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 7th March 2014 at 12:24.
Old 7th March 2014, 12:23   #533
BHPian

Don't worry, doing it once in a while on an open road would help the engine to breath better. The ECU is programmed to cut the fuel supply once the engine cross the max rpm of 5.5-6k.

I don't really think it would have been 4500 rpm. The D3 and D mode are closely placed (gear ratios) which would mean a relaxed rpm ride at the speeds (110) you mentioned.

The max I pushed my engine was in 2nd gear to 70km speed, I think it can go beyond that.
Old 7th March 2014, 18:41   #534
BHPian

@ supremeBaleno - Simple my friend, OBDII Bluetooth scanner adapter I got from aliexpress and Torque Pro App I got from google play store in Galaxy Note 1 and I not only get RPM but fuel efficiency, miles to empty and many other pieces of information.

I had the device plugged in car, paired with Galaxy Note on charger all the way from Katra to Delhi, around 650 kms in one day!

@ MR_Bean It was the torque pro app saying 4500 rpm so I think it was somewhere in the range. The car had 3 people me, father and mother and our returning luggage for the MVD trip.

Last edited by Mohitkumaar : 7th March 2014 at 18:43.
Old 7th March 2014, 21:05   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I find the whole gate-design of the A-Star's a pain.
Tell me about it! Quite a few times, I've had the front passenger's knee accidentally move the gear lever to 3. Unless you're watching the gear indicator closely or can feel the slightly strained engine, it's hard to find out.
Old 9th March 2014, 23:29   #536
BHPian

Now that the A star has been discontinued, Celerio has a long waiting time and the brio and the Micra being expensive I was tempted to look into the used car market. I came across a 3 year old A star vxi ABS automatic, 12k on the clock and in decent condition with scratches over the bumpers etc. This would be a 2nd car, mainly for my wife who is not yet a confident driver. What would be a reasonable offer considering that new would have costed about 5.6L OTR. I have booked the celerio and will lose 1k if I cancel the booking.
Old 10th March 2014, 10:14   #537
Senior - BHPian

^^^You would get better response if you posted your price query on the dedicated used-car price check thread - Link

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 10th March 2014 at 10:17.
Old 30th March 2014, 22:20   #538
BHPian

Just noticed today that the front bumper panel on my white A-Star AT is not as metallic in finish as the rest of the car. It seems to be more of a plain glossy white. Can any other A-Star owners tell me about this. I fear that the service center fellows changed my bumper during the first or second free service without my knowledge (I could not go then).

P.S. Do not get your servicing done by Leo Motors in Bangalore. Last time, they completely forgot to check off the 3rd Servicing Page / Form in the Owner's Manual
Old 31st March 2014, 07:55   #539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
Just noticed today that the front bumper panel on my white A-Star AT is not as metallic in finish as the rest of the car. It seems to be more of a plain glossy white. Can any other A-Star owners tell me about this. I fear that the service center fellows changed my bumper during the first or second free service without my knowledge (I could not go then).
The paint should be the same everywhere, Pearl White which is a metallic shade. And on close observation, you should be able to see metal flakes in the paint. However, it will look a bit different between the bumper and say bonnet as the former is made of plastic. There will be slight difference in shade. The rear and front bumper should look exactly the same!
Old 6th April 2014, 00:48   #540
BHPian

Dear friends, I had gone to book a celerio vxi amt for my wife today. But was shocked to hear that the waiting period was 6 months. The dealer then gave me a option. They have a 2013 stock white a-star automatic. The on road price of the celerio is 5.25 and the a-star 5.45.

Now both these options are the cheapest. I need your inputs to make the right choice. Which amongst the two should I opt for. It is going to be a second car and a city car for my wife. If at all I choose the a-star what discounts should I be looking at. Also advise if I should get the discount incorporated on the showroom invoice price as that would help me save more on the life tax and insurance part.

Note- this a-star comes with abs, oem stereo, driver seat height adjustment and beige interiors which are not available on the celerio.

I hope this thread would be of greatest help to make a decision by a weeks time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks