Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2010, 13:03   #316
BHPian

I have driven couple of Nissan cars (Sentra & Ultima) when I was in US. They never impressed me. Stiff suspension, less features, cramped space etc. are standard features of Nissan.
Micra's looks tell me that it is no exception.

-Thunderbird
Old 20th July 2010, 14:25   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird77 View Post
I have driven couple of Nissan cars (Sentra & Ultima) when I was in US. They never impressed me. Stiff suspension, less features, cramped space etc. are standard features of Nissan.

-Thunderbird
After reading this, I wonder why we have test drives, road tests and ownership reports
Old 20th July 2010, 14:37   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

-Thunderbird
You sure mate? Sentra and Altima are big time favourites among desis in US. Never found any of our friends' Altima cramped or have anyone complain about not having features! (have tried riding/driving at least 4 Altimas and 3 Sentras, ranging from 1998 to 2010 models).

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
After reading this, I wonder why we have test drives, road tests and ownership reports
Old 20th July 2010, 14:54   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
You sure mate? Sentra and Altima are big time favourites among desis in US. Never found any of our friends' Altima cramped or have anyone complain about not having features! (have tried riding/driving at least 4 Altimas and 3 Sentras, ranging from 1998 to 2010 models).

That was my honest and subjective opinion. Some times we force ourselves to buy some cars because others buy, against our will. That may not always satisfy you, but we pretend that we are happy. This is like a unhappy marriage.

Desis in US buy Honda, Toyota, Nissan etc. to play safe, not because they are impressed (mostly).

The only thing which impressed me about Nissan is the solid built quality.

BTW, once my Figo ZXI Diesel overtook a X-Trail easily at around 120 km/h in Chennai - Bangalore highway. That guy was really pissed off and he could overtake me only when I decide to give it up.

-Thunderbird
Old 20th July 2010, 16:46   #320
BHPian

Quote:
No chrome logo on the steering wheel and no dead pedal, even on the top end!
After reading GTO's review and being assured by the dealer, I thought the chrome logo on the stering will be there. but ALAS!
Same feelings here adimicra. But the dealer assured me this change will happen soon. As for dead pedal, i remember seeing one, maybe you saw the base model??

Quote:
Thats even more shocking to hear. Just goes to show that the prices of accessories and spare for the micra will be sky-high.
Price of accessories is absolutely no indication if spare prices. So lets hope spares are better priced than their accessories. After all they claim the vehicle has been engineered for easier replacement with lesser parts.
So why make parts more expensive right

Quote:
I really do not understand what they mean by 'blinker lights'.
I think they are the turn indicators on the rear vew mirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Correct boot size = 226 Liters.
Seems like quite a puzzle but i have confirmed again with the dealership after this confusion. Correct boot space is 251 litre. 226 was a misprint. New brochures with 251 are on the way apparently
Old 20th July 2010, 16:50   #321
Senior - BHPian

Test drove the Micra yesterday. Disappointed to say the least. Sure it feels underpowered. Plenty of body roll observed. Looks UGLY IMO.
The ride and space was impressive though. It can be a good alternative for WAGONR.

Quote:

-Thunderbird
Micra does not have stiff suspension. IMHO it is too soft producing good amount of body roll.
Less features? I will say features are better than average considering the price point.
Cramped?? No way.

I too disliked Micra but not for any of the points you mentioned.
Old 20th July 2010, 18:09   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Test drove the Micra yesterday. Disappointed to say the least. Sure it feels underpowered. Plenty of body roll observed. Looks UGLY IMO.
As in? lacks low end torque? Someone posted numbers that suggested that the Micra is the fastest of the 1.2s.
Old 20th July 2010, 18:25   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
As in? lacks low end torque? Someone posted numbers that suggested that the Micra is the fastest of the 1.2s.
Yes it lacks low end torque. Even Midrange to some extent. I believe they have calibrated the engine to extract maximum FE. Hence this is the outcome.
There is a feeling power is not instantly available at the tap.
Old 20th July 2010, 22:02   #324
BHPian

@ adimicra: Good to see so much passion from you for the Nissan Micra!

Quote:
I have my reasons for choosing the Micra and I will go over those in details in an ownership thread probably.
I hope that you get your namesake Micra soon so that we could all go through your ownership report.
Old 20th July 2010, 23:17   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That was my honest and subjective opinion. Some times we force ourselves to buy some cars because others buy, against our will

People who do that either do not know about cars or are just

That may not always satisfy you, but we pretend that we are happy. This is like a unhappy marriage.

Desis in US buy Honda, Toyota, Nissan etc. to play safe, not because they are impressed (mostly).

The only thing which impressed me about Nissan is the solid built quality.

Well - 2010 Altima with all leather interiors, and bose sound system was enough to impress me on the features end. On the driving end - though it was a short drive - it didn't disappoint either.

BTW, once my Figo ZXI Diesel overtook a X-Trail easily at around 120 km/h in Chennai - Bangalore highway. That guy was really pissed off and he could overtake me only when I decide to give it up.

Got something personal against Nissan cars - do you ?

-Thunderbird
Personally I think Nissan makes good VFM cars (at-least in US).
Old 21st July 2010, 10:09   #326
Senior - BHPian

i am planning to get one of these small hatches for my wifey. looking at this thread closely
Old 21st July 2010, 10:18   #327
BHPian

Quote:

-Thunderbird
Thunderbird, I think you personally had a bad experience with Nissan Cars. I have rented most of the cars except the premium ones while I was in the US couple of years back. Always came back with a good feeling of Altima and Maxima whenever I rented them. In any case, I am not too sure we can generalize cars based on the manufacturer.
Old 21st July 2010, 10:43   #328
Senior - BHPian

Guys, guys shake it off! Each car has its own postives and neagtives. Similarly each person's requirement would be different from another's . What suits one person to the T might be totally off the mark for another. You are the best judge for what you actually need. Others can only recommend based on your requirements. Any car you pick from this segment is going to be a compromise in one dept or another. So let's cut the crap and get down to discussing about the Micra.
Old 21st July 2010, 10:48   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
@ adimicra: Good to see so much passion from you for the Nissan Micra!

I hope that you get your namesake Micra soon so that we could all go through your ownership report.

Actually not so passionate as you think! When I bought my first car - Santro, I was all excited and charged up! And the Santro has served me really well over the years and the pull in the 3rd gear from low rpms is something which is unmatched by any of the 'premium' hatchbacks.
I would say that its got the best driveability in the city among all the hatches (petrol at least).
When I started looking for a premium hatchback, I really expected much more as I will be spending 2 lakhs more than my Santro. After a frantic search for last 2 months, what I have realized is there is not much difference I will feel from my Santro with my 2nd car at least w.r.t. performance from a city driving perspective. I will definitely get more features and safety and more 'feel-good' factor but that's about it!
During my test drives of almost all cars south of 8 lakhs, the only time I felt a real difference in the driving experience was the Fiesta 1.6 (why I didn't buy it is a different story altogether).
So, decided to strike off the performance factor as a criteria in my selection process and look for other stuff!

Last edited by adimicra : 21st July 2010 at 10:50.
Old 21st July 2010, 10:58   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Guys, guys shake it off! Each car has its own postives and neagtives. Similarly each person's requirement would be different from another's . What suits one person to the T might be totally off the mark for another. You are the best judge for what you actually need. Others can only recommend based on your requirements. Any car you pick from this segment is going to be a compromise in one dept or another. So let's cut the crap and get down to discussing about the Micra.
+1 on that. Time for us the mature and get on to the next level.

Will go for a TD at the earliest. IMO, only negative what I see before TD is, Rear split seat, and bottle holders. Otherwise, looks like a good car - Although the design is funky.

Most Viewed