Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2010, 23:41   #166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
From your initial TD report posts on this thread :
In Micra one has to press a request sensor.

For a normal remote lock facitliy ( of other cars ), a person has to press the unlock button.

So, what is real advantage of Micra's system ? A person has to press a button ( called request sensor ) on the door for Micra, and in other cars with remote locking/unlocking a person has to press a button on remote.

In both cases vis. a normal remote locking/unlocking system and Micra system one has to press a button at either remote or on door. IMO, I find the request sensor illogical. I would prefer to press button on remote than on door.
If I may jump in, I think you are overlooking the actual use-case of the proximity sensor. As in, at a theoretical level both are equivalent at one button press each; however, the difference lies in "where is the button"?

So, imagine you carrying a couple of grocery bags and walking up to the car, now in order to use the usual system, you need to take the keys out from your pocket (a task made harder while wearing a pair of jeans). This is important because we do not usually carry the key in our hand, usually it's in the pocket.

On the other hand, with the proximity sensor, you can just walk up to the car and pull the door handle to open it (the location of the button, in this case, is very ergonomic and easy to use).

I hope my post wasn't too convoluted and that I could get the point across.
Amartya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2010, 00:02   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
If I may jump in, I think you are overlooking the actual use-case of the proximity sensor. As in, at a theoretical level both are equivalent at one button press each; however, the difference lies in "where is the button"?

So, imagine you carrying a couple of grocery bags and walking up to the car, now in order to use the usual system, you need to take the keys out from your pocket (a task made harder while wearing a pair of jeans). This is important because we do not usually carry the key in our hand, usually it's in the pocket.

On the other hand, with the proximity sensor, you can just walk up to the car and pull the door handle to open it (the location of the button, in this case, is very ergonomic and easy to use).
Right. Add to that the start/Stop button. you never have to take your keys out. The system feels beautiful to me.
Unlocking automatically based on proximity would prove counter productive. Request sensor on the door makes sense.
Old 5th July 2010, 01:00   #168
Senior - BHPian

While watching the C & B Show on NDTV tonight, they showed a few Micras in detail and even LHD ones meant for export. They had the CVT. Now why couldnt Nissan introduce the auto box here right now itself since they have the gearboxes here?
Old 5th July 2010, 04:50   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
While watching the C & B Show on NDTV tonight, they showed a few Micras in detail and even LHD ones meant for export. They had the CVT. Now why couldnt Nissan introduce the auto box here right now itself since they have the gearboxes here?
I hope they do introduce the CVT version soon. However, not releasing them now must have to do with the fuel economy and price. In the small car market, the Santro and i10 automatics have hardly set the sales charts on fire. That along with the fact that Nissan must want it's offering to garner a reputation of being ultra-frugal (hence the 3-cylinder block) and reasonably low cost.
Old 5th July 2010, 08:11   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
+1

Quote:
I hope they do introduce the CVT version soon. However, not releasing them now must have to do with the fuel economy and price. In the small car market, the Santro and i10 automatics have hardly set the sales charts on fire. That along with the fact that Nissan must want it's offering to garner a reputation of being ultra-frugal (hence the 3-cylinder block) and reasonably low cost.
Amartya, the autos won't set the sales chart on fire but I'm surprised at the increasing number of i10 Auto trannys in Chennai. Would be nice to see the actual sales numbers though.

The Micra add campaign is targeted at urban youth as a cool car. Then why miss the auto transmission?
Old 5th July 2010, 12:36   #171
BHPian

Quote:

I hope my post wasn't too convoluted and that I could get the point across.
Adding to that when we park the car and go out, and If we have things in our hands, its always handy if we can just walk away...
Old 5th July 2010, 13:03   #172
BHPian

Excellent review as always GTO Some important points which we would definetely want to know, such as what if the battery dies out on "keyless entry"...great. I have booked a Beat, and after reading this review i thought i have missed out micra by a whisker..But then back to my mind that i really liked the styling of beat..

Thanks once again for the review..Keep up your good work.

- What if the battery dies out? Well, we tried . We made a Nissan engineer remove the unit's battery. Even then, the ECM detected the presence of the key fob and the engine started.

- What if my kid playfully presses the engine start / stop button when I'm sitting in the car? The clutch pedal needs to be fully pressed, for the engine start button to work. This safety feature is in place to prevent accidental / unintentional starts.

Last edited by GTO : 5th July 2010 at 13:35. Reason: Strictly no more than 2 smileys per post please. Read our rules
informmaha is offline   Received Infraction
Old 5th July 2010, 13:45   #173
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
I do not understand, what amount of cost cutting is achieved by doing this. Manual gauge to see the eng temp helps and warns a lot.
Not really cost cutting. This is more of a global trend toward decreasing clutter. Manufacturers are doing away with the temp gauge just as they did to the oil gauge two decades back. Link to related thread. I personally prefer an analog temp gauge and, as discussed on the other thread, it does have inherent advantages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
I cant help thinking of the contrast with Renault. They came in with a joint venture with one of India's better companies (Mahindra), but brought a product screaming CHEAP and overpriced it. Nissan on the other hand has come alone, brought a brand new product and from the looks of it, the quality is up to standard as will be the price. A case of some intra company lessons learnt perhaps?

Wishing Nissan all the success!
Well said, Prashanth. There is no argument that Nissan is on the right track, while Renault got it all wrong. Intra-company lessons indeed though, ironically, the parent organisation here is Renault! You don't expect the bigger, stronger dude to be the fall guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Do the Micra's rear windows roll down completely or partially like on the Figo? From the pics, I guess completely? seems to be enough space for that in the door.
Yup. As mentioned in my review, the rear windows roll down completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
In the above quote posts of yours, I have marked a few lines in bold. IMO, this is a bit contradictory.
Thanks for pointing that out, on my way to correct. The last two questions were brought up in this thread by other members. I forwarded them to a Nissan engineer, whose answers have been updated in the FAQ post. Should have corrected the older ones as well.

Quote:
IIRC, the 0.9mtr/2.97 feet part was added later, so what is the exact range, 2.97 feet ?
Yes, 0.9 meters.

Quote:
Now in case of micra if a person has the keybob within 0.9m/2.97 feet of the car, the person has to press a request sensor located on the door of Mirca.
The request sensor is on the door handle, where you'd have to place your hand anyways (to tug). There is no extra effort in pressing the request sensor.

Quote:
You betcha, Dippy. They have a CVT box ready for the Euro market. Nissan would do well in offering this option to its urban market. Fits right into the product's positioning too.
Old 5th July 2010, 17:02   #174
Senior - BHPian

Thanks GTO for very detailed review. I am sure many of my colleagues who loved Micra would be benefitted by the high quality review you have provided. Also nice to hear that the silver central console doesn't feel like "cheap Chinese made silver plastic". People had doubts about quality of silver central console.

Quote:
You betcha, Dippy. They have a CVT box ready for the Euro market. Nissan would do well in offering this option to its urban market. Fits right into the product's positioning too.
+1 for Nissan AT! Couple of my friends want to buy Micra for their mom, wife. But their main concern is "when will Nissan introduce Auto transmission? We know there is i10 auto but with so many i10 on road, we want to go for Nissan Micra"

All said and done, how do we call MICRA, is it MY-KRA or ME-KRA
Old 6th July 2010, 12:42   #175
BHPian

Maybe its only me, but somehow the overall styling of the MICRA reminds me of the famed London Taxi, especially a black MICRA from the rear.
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan Micra : Test Drive & Review-nissan_micra_14.jpg  

Nissan Micra : Test Drive & Review-fx4.jpg  

Nissan Micra : Test Drive & Review-p1020904.jpg  

Old 6th July 2010, 14:21   #176
BHPian

The diesel should be worth waiting for. If the X-trail engine is any an indicator of the Nissan engines working in India i think Nissan have a winner on their hands !
Old 6th July 2010, 15:27   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
The Chevy spark and Beat don't have the rubber beading as well and I noticed this on another car as well but forgot which one.
Our Swift K series doesnt have the beading either.
Old 6th July 2010, 17:00   #178
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Nissan is entering a highly crowded segment in India with a new product from them. I do not see any special except the real keyless entry. Nissan showroom in chennai is also closed when I visited around 7 pm where as Ford and Hyundai are open till 8 all days.

But Japs are known for high quality products and wish to see the same.

Is 1.5 logan diesel applicable for all tax benefits if launched.

Last edited by RGK : 6th July 2010 at 17:07.
Old 6th July 2010, 20:29   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Nissan is entering a highly crowded segment in India with a new product from them. I do not see any special except the real keyless entry. Nissan showroom in chennai is also closed when I visited around 7 pm where as Ford and Hyundai are open till 8 all days.

But Japs are known for high quality products and wish to see the same.

Is 1.5 logan diesel applicable for all tax benefits if launched.

The tax benefit is for diesels upto 1400cc, so the 1.5 mills won't get it.
Old 6th July 2010, 21:03   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The tax benefit is for diesels upto 1400cc, so the 1.5 mills won't get it.
Are you sure?i think the tax benefits also include 1.5L diesels and under it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks