Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2010, 12:20   #1261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by liner4u View Post
...Actually I am also a bit apprehensive of the taxi tag.
That's applicable only if you buy a private indica in white colour.
Infact, Swift in White colour has maximum demand, if iam not wrong.

White looks good in most of the non-taxi-labelled cars. So go for it.

Last edited by WindRide : 14th May 2010 at 12:22.
Old 14th May 2010, 12:38   #1262
Senior - BHPian

Saw a white one on the road today and to be frank looked quite small. Punto and i20 have more road presence in my opinion.
I must mention the build quality though which looked better than both Punto and i20. The panel gaps are really tight.
Old 14th May 2010, 19:20   #1263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmalts View Post
I would vote for White. The front grill and tail lamps are highlighted in white. But bear in mind that white is non-metallic while black is.

Nirmal
Yes White is non metallic, but can you please elaborate on the differences between metallic and non metallic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
That's applicable only if you buy a private indica in white colour.
Infact, Swift in White colour has maximum demand, if iam not wrong.

White looks good in most of the non-taxi-labelled cars. So go for it.
Ya white swift vdi is in most demand. White has a longer waiting period too. I asked the dealer for white and he says since its white I wont get the car in the first batch(diesel) so i will have to wait. sigh !!
Old 14th May 2010, 19:59   #1264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Saw a white one on the road today and to be frank looked quite small. Punto and i20 have more road presence in my opinion.
I agree, the polo in a showroom is very different from Polo on the road...its got little or no presence (vis a vis Punto/i20) and the bland rear only adds to the feeling! At first thought maybe its the colour, but by now I have seen it in Red, silver, white and black. The only time I found it to be marginally better was when it was in white.

- B4W
Old 14th May 2010, 20:02   #1265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetumanu View Post
SOLD OFF

When did it happen? AFAIR Khan was to sell it off by end of this year.
Sorry for the late response...
Its only fair that khan comments on the subject and much more...so I guess we will have to wait for him to take some time out and share stuff !

-B4W

PS: ..was having trouble submitting the multi-quoted response, hence two separate responses !

Last edited by better4worse : 14th May 2010 at 20:04.
Old 14th May 2010, 22:40   #1266
BHPian

Quote:
but can you please elaborate on the differences between metallic and non metallic
Metallic paints are only to increase the eye-appeal. The paint contains tiny metal flakes which creates a sparkling effect. A solid color misses this. However, the layers of paint coats in both cases remains the same.

Nirmal
Old 15th May 2010, 03:57   #1267
Distinguished - BHPian

I think that a metallic paint finish has more coats. There is (approximately, and on top of all the priming and undercoat) a base colour layer, a semi-transparent colour with the flakes in it layer, and one or more transparent varnish layers on the top. The result is to give not only the metallic sparkle, but also depth.

Much harder to touch up than a flat colour!
Old 15th May 2010, 10:07   #1268
BHPian

Quote:
Metallic paints are only to increase the eye-appeal. The paint contains tiny metal flakes which creates a sparkling effect. A solid color misses this. However, the layers of paint coats in both cases remains the same.

Nirmal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I think that a metallic paint finish has more coats. There is (approximately, and on top of all the priming and undercoat) a base colour layer, a semi-transparent colour with the flakes in it layer, and one or more transparent varnish layers on the top. The result is to give not only the metallic sparkle, but also depth.

So does that mean that white will fade away in a couple of years than metallic colors ?? Also the VW website says that red and white are non metallic. Black is pearl effect. Rest of the colors are metallic.

Plus I think the paint finish and depth on skoda and VW cars are excellent so will it make a difference irrespective of the color being non metallic ??
Old 15th May 2010, 10:53   #1269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

From that I know there is no extra layer in case of metallic paints. The layers would be primer (to make your paint stick to the car), base coat (solid paint or metallic paint) and clear coat (to protect your paint). The difference is only in the type of base coat used (metallic or non-metallic). Hence it doesn't provide any additional protection. Also scratches (even on clear coat) are comparatively more visible on metallic paints than on solid colors.

Someone please confirm.

Quote:
So does that mean that white will fade away in a couple of years than metallic colors ??
I don't think solid colors fade away easily than metallic. The quality of both paints are same except that the price for metallic paints are slightly higher. At least here is Germany, cars with metallic paints have slightly higher resale value. Hence auto manufacturers charge an extra premium for metallic colored cars.

Nirmal
Old 15th May 2010, 12:29   #1270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So does that mean that white will fade away in a couple of years than metallic colors ?? Also the VW website says that red and white are non metallic. Black is pearl effect. Rest of the colors are metallic.

Plus I think the paint finish and depth on skoda and VW cars are excellent so will it make a difference irrespective of the color being non metallic ??
AFAIK Skoda and VW does 6 coats in total - that is including base , primer ..etc. What is most important for the paint to hold is the quality of material on which it is painted. Since the body is double galvanized, it will be rust proof. On this when you have high quality paint and finish, it will hold for a very long time, irrespective of the color and type of paint. I do not think that either white or red on Fabia and Polo will fade/ colorize. That is why the company gives 3 years warranty on Color and 6 year warranty against corrosion. solid colors are easy to maintain though (easy to match the color and touch up). You can safely go for the color of your choice.

Quote:
From that I know there is no extra layer in case of metallic paints. The layers would be primer (to make your paint stick to the car), base coat (solid paint or metallic paint) and clear coat (to protect your paint). The difference is only in the type of base coat used (metallic or non-metallic). Hence it doesn't provide any additional protection. Also scratches (even on clear coat) are comparatively more visible on metallic paints than on solid colors.

Someone please confirm.

I don't think solid colors fade away easily than metallic. The quality of both paints are same except that the price for metallic paints are slightly higher. At least here is Germany, cars with metallic paints have slightly higher resale value. Hence auto manufacturers charge an extra premium for metallic colored cars.

Nirmal
Painting cost, wastage, man hour spent will all be high - so extra premium is charged.

Friends, I had a sort of bad experience yesterday with the Dealer here in Bangalore, which I want to share and also take your opinion:

Initially, when I had booked my car (Polo Diesel, Highline, Black) on 14th March, the SP had said that the Diesel would be launched by April end and I would get my car delivered from the first batch itself, which would take a maximum period of 1 month from the Launch. Bottomline Commitment was that the car would be delivered to me in a maximum period of one month from the date of official Launch of the vehicle.

I had been in touch with the SP, asking him to inform me once the Diesel car is launched, so that I can have a test drive. 4 days back when I called him he said that the TD car will be available only by this month end. Yesterday, I had been to VW showroom to have a look at the accessories, and to my surprise I saw a Diesel Polo in the stock area. It seemed that it had arrived a couple of days back. When I mentioned this to the SP, he expressed surprise and said that he did not even know about it!!! I directly told him that I cannot believe his statement.

Then I asked him when my car will be delivered. No idea again - let us speak to the manager! So I went to the manager. Manager does not know anything about the oral commitment made by the SP. He showed me the list of cars that will be delivered to him in this month. There were 2 Diesel Highlines, but not a black one. I said that I can choose any color that is available (Silver, White). For that, he said that it is not possible since all the cars have already been alloted and furthur said that as and when he gets a Black polo he will allot it to me. Even for that I was the 5th one in the Queue! So he can not commit on the date!!!

I asked him if he has not sent his requirement based on the orders he has received, to VW. He says it does not work like that with VW, every month they will be given some cars in random by VW and they have to allot it to the customers based on the priority. He sounded that he may not get a black one at all in the next months consignment (or he will not know when he will get a Black one). I thought it was a very unprofessional way of dealing things.

Next, he showed me a pile of files and said that these customers have paid 100% money and are waiting for months!! I asked him whether they will get priority? Reply was YES, we have to do it - is it not? Further he said that they have received 600 odd booking but have delivered only 30 odd so far!! They get a quota of only 20 cars per month!!!

These dealers are just jokers who are in between the company and the customers. Why should any one go to them if they cannot add any value? This guy is putting all the blame on VW and showing his helplessness. Least he could have done is to be sure before committing the date with me. Now - what if the same thing continues after sales? He will easily say that he has not received the part from VW and ask me to come back after 15 days?

I am some how not comfortable. Is buying a Polo worth all this? Is it some thing out of the world that I have to go through this kind of unprofessional dealings, to get it? I do not believe in fighting with people for things like this. I have told the Dealer that I will come and meet him on Monday Evening. If he does not give me a solution, I will cancel the booking. I am ready to wait till June end for delivery, but not beyond that.

If I cancel the booking I will go for the Fiesta Tdci Zxi. Any advice is welcome.
Old 15th May 2010, 13:18   #1271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
He says it does not work like that with VW, every month they will be given some cars in random by VW and they have to allot it to the customers based on the priority. He sounded that he may not get a black one at all in the next months consignment (or he will not know when he will get a Black one). I thought it was a very unprofessional way of dealing things.
Fiesta is surely a good car, I would recommend that from my side. But I would suggest wait for sometime and just dont give up so soon.

Its sure chaos owing the huge demand for the car. I must say there was lot of talk about VW making good planning for the deliveries in this thread. I was also thinking so, but one can see that is not the case.

With this being the preparedness of VW for this much of volumes one must give credit to Figo atleast its the same level of mess for higher amount of volumes that the are selling.

P.S BTW its a long time yet and I have not yet seen on VW polo in the Chennai roads. But I see lots of Figos (not that I am comparing both) how is the state in other parts of the country are you guys seeing Polo on the road.
Old 15th May 2010, 13:41   #1272
BHPian

Quote:
I am some how not comfortable. Is buying a Polo worth all this? Is it some thing out of the world that I have to go through this kind of unprofessional dealings, to get it? I do not believe in fighting with people for things like this. I have told the Dealer that I will come and meet him on Monday Evening. If he does not give me a solution, I will cancel the booking. I am ready to wait till June end for delivery, but not beyond that.

If I cancel the booking I will go for the Fiesta Tdci Zxi. Any advice is welcome.
I also booked on the 19th of march and was quite confident of getting the delivery in the 1st batch itself. I gave 1st preference as white and 2nd as black. The manager said he was getting only one white and one black. If i took black he said he would give me that car. I was undecided, told him i will confirm in a couple of days. After all bhpian suggestions i went to the showroom to confirm that i want white.

This time the SP was there and not the manager, he checked the status and said the black was allotted to someone else who booked on the 11th of march !!! ( I was surprised cos i did not say anything and had requested to keep black blocked) Now i did not want to get angry so i kept quiet. I asked him when i would get white and he said he was unsure.

And about them getting cars in random from VW that's true
Old 15th May 2010, 14:57   #1273
BHPian

@ Chethan B G I am really surprised to read your experience with the VW dealership at Bangalore. If they have 600 bookings and are getting 20 cars a month from the company......people who have booked the cars with them will have to wait for a couple of years. I have booked a Polo Trendline Petrol on the 8th of March and had been assured of delivery in May when I booked the car. Again, when I spoke to the SP this month he has confirmed delivery of the vehicle by the end of this month. I am really confused and will wait till the end of this month before taking a final decision.
Old 15th May 2010, 15:41   #1274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Firstly, black on Polo is about 25 to 30k at the moment. Secondly, people paying in cash certainly are high on priority list. Lastly, I got my car in about 40 days, was given a waiting period of 12-15 weeks which was mentioned on the booking papers. On 31st March (year end), lot of cars were sold on cash to book profit in the previous year. We got a call too but since my dad said that we can pay by draft in 2-3 days (had to get loan from dad's office which takes about 2 days maximum), the SP said, they will call us later. We got a call 7-8 days later and were asked to take delivery in about a week.

I dont know how the loan system works with banks but is it possible that you get the formalities done and ask SP that you can pay whenever they want?

Also, what is the waiting period mentioned on your booking papers. If the dealer is not sticking to it, log a complaint on VWs helpline (number available on their website), you will get a call from the dealer in about 4-5 days. A friend of mine did the same when the dealer did not stick to the details mentioned on the booking period. He booked a red highline in January 2010 but I got my car before he did. Later he got his car in about 1 week from the day he got a call back from dealer (this was end of april).

Fiesta is an excellent car but you surely will feel outdated once the new model comes in, I would say wait for the Polo.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 15th May 2010 at 15:53.
Old 15th May 2010, 16:13   #1275
BHPian

Quote:
I am stuck with the same dilemma bro...need a car asap and dunno if I shud take the Fiesta or wait for the 1.6 Polo, especially after hearing so many waiting stories...also, does someone know the cost of spare parts of the Polo yet? that might help in my decision...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
P.S BTW its a long time yet and I have not yet seen on VW polo in the Chennai roads. But I see lots of Figos (not that I am comparing both) how is the state in other parts of the country are you guys seeing Polo on the road.
Here in Mumbai I can see loads of Figos and till now have seen only one Polo, though I must say it looked gorgeous

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Fiesta is an excellent car but you surely will feel outdated once the new model comes in, I would say wait for the Polo.
Agreed, but my Ford dealer in Mumbai confirmed that this Fiesta will continue to sell even after the new one is launched. I just hope they launch it with a new name at least...

Also, I went to the VW showroom yest and the sales guy said I can book the 1.6 Polo and will get delivery in Sep. Can anyone else confirm this?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks