Team-BHP - Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/76341-volkswagen-polo-test-drive-review-69.html)

I am one of those waiting for Polo 1.6 Petrol to be launched. First it was supposed to be coming around June. Now I read somewhere that it will be launched by end of the year. In some auto mag, I also read 1.2 TSI will be launched. Do we know if it is 1.6 or 1.2 TSI that will be launched. It will be great if 1.2TSI is launched as it would offer good performance and also keep cost down.

Chetan, Not 2 months, today again they are telling the delivery will be in June. That is around a waiting period of 4 months. That for a newly launched petrol car. I seriosly sense some problem here and have thoughts of cancelling the deal. Tomorrow I am off to test grive a diesel Figo. If the experience turns out good I will book a Titanium diesel model. So Poloman may become Figoman.

You can always claim to have named yourself after the mint, rather than the car!

Quote:

Originally Posted by poloman (Post 1854066)
Chetan, Not 2 months, today again they are telling the delivery will be in June. That is around a waiting period of 4 months. That for a newly launched petrol car. I seriosly sense some problem here and have thoughts of cancelling the deal. Tomorrow I am off to test grive a diesel Figo. If the experience turns out good I will book a Titanium diesel model. So Poloman may become Figoman.

Hehe..I can sense a Figoman because the delivery will surely be in June, the Dealer talking to a Polo diesel customer said that the car will be launched (or something) around 18th may and the car will come to the dealer till 27-28 May, so they cannot promise the delivery before June.

Gaurav, Which version you are talking abour June delivery, Petrol or Diesel. I am talking about a petrol car booked in February.Why petrol deliveries linked to Diesel launch?I am highly skeptical by the lukewarm response meted out to cutomers in the dealerships as if they don't want to sell the car now.

I read in some european autobile website that 1.2TSI engine is a 1198cc 3 cylinder engine which seem to be the similar to 1.2 engine here, but obviously with turbo & other technologies. My question to the T-bhp experts is whether the 1.2 TSI engine basically the turbo charged (plus any other) version the 1.2 engine doing duty in India? If the answer is yes, my next question is whether those mods can be made on the 1.2 available in India to boost the power output? May be it is too early to be thinking about mods for Polo, but I was just curious.

Quote:

Originally Posted by poloman (Post 1854195)
Gaurav, Which version you are talking abour June delivery, Petrol or Diesel. I am talking about a petrol car booked in February.Why petrol deliveries linked to Diesel launch?I am highly skeptical by the lukewarm response meted out to cutomers in the dealerships as if they don't want to sell the car now.

Oh Sorry, I was talking about the Diesel.. got confused I guess. A petrol car booked in February should have already been delivered. I booked mine on 7th March and got the delivery on 18 April. Why not log a complaint on VW's official helpline (Call us on: 18001020909/ 18002090909). It will surely help. This will make the dealership answerable. This will not only help you but also the VW to track black on Polo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by poloman (Post 1854066)

Which color did you book? and Which variant? Highline can require more delivery time since VW will have to depend on more vendors. Also if you have booked a color which is not yet launched, then the waiting period will be more. But any ways, this waiting period is insane. :Frustrati

Have a look at Figo and share your thoughts with us. No harm in that. IMHO do not take any hasty decision. By the way, I was also worked up and had an other look at i20, Punto and Jazz. After going through these cars, I am prepared to wait for 2 more months. The car I buy will be with me for around 7 years. So I thought that it is better to wait for 2 months to get the car I like. After spending this kind of money, one cannot change cars every year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 (Post 1854352)
Oh Sorry, I was talking about the Diesel.. got confused I guess. A petrol car booked in February should have already been delivered. I booked mine on 7th March and got the delivery on 18 April. Why not log a complaint on VW's official helpline (Call us on: 18001020909/ 18002090909). It will surely help. This will make the dealership answerable. This will not only help you but also the VW to track black on Polo.

This is also a good idea. But the person who will receive your call on these numbers, will be just like a person working in a call center, who will give you only standard (politically correct) answers. You may get worked up all the more. :deadhorse

Gaurav, Your ownership review was really good. Could not make out the damage caused on your car by the accident, by looking at the photos. The damage may not be much as you mentioned. That is good news.

Quote:

Originally Posted by altius (Post 1853884)
I am one of those waiting for Polo 1.6 Petrol to be launched. First it was supposed to be coming around June. Now I read somewhere that it will be launched by end of the year. In some auto mag, I also read 1.2 TSI will be launched. Do we know if it is 1.6 or 1.2 TSI that will be launched. It will be great if 1.2TSI is launched as it would offer good performance and also keep cost down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by altius (Post 1854251)
I read in some european autobile website that 1.2TSI engine is a 1198cc 3 cylinder engine which seem to be the similar to 1.2 engine here, but obviously with turbo & other technologies. My question to the T-bhp experts is whether the 1.2 TSI engine basically the turbo charged (plus any other) version the 1.2 engine doing duty in India? If the answer is yes, my next question is whether those mods can be made on the 1.2 available in India to boost the power output? May be it is too early to be thinking about mods for Polo, but I was just curious.

The best thing to happen IMHO is as under:
  1. Keep the same build quality level of present Polo.
  2. Add ACC, EORVM, USB/BT-Music system with controls on steering wheel.
  3. Fabia's sun visor, flooring color, roof light and boot light.
  4. Headlight in European Polo style.
  5. Extended warranty at a cost.
  6. Petrol: 1.2L TSI - (3 or 4 cylinders does not matter).
  7. Diesel: 1.2L CRDI with VGT and Supercharger.
  8. Cost can be increased by up to 1L.
  9. This total package can be available only for Highline variants.
  10. Engine options should be available for other variants also at an extra cost.
This (highline variant) will be my dream car! lol:

High hopes?? :eek:

Chetan, The car I booked was a red highline in Feb . I agree with you for highline VW has to depend on more vendors. But how can they explain a waiting period of 4 months. They are talking of heavy demand, but yet to spot many Polos in Bangalore. VW owes an explanation what really is the problem. Have you booked a Polo? When they have promised delivery? Also the quote for Gaurav's damaged wheel cap is giving me shudders. Simply atrocious.

Quote:

Originally Posted by poloman (Post 1854584)
Chetan, The car I booked was a red highline in Feb . I agree with you for highline VW has to depend on more vendors. But how can they explain a waiting period of 4 months. They are talking of heavy demand, but yet to spot many Polos in Bangalore. VW owes an explanation what really is the problem. Have you booked a Polo? When they have promised delivery? Also the quote for Gaurav's damaged wheel cap is giving me shudders. Simply atrocious.

I have booked a Polo Diesel Highline - Black on 14th of March at Downtown - Bangalore by paying Rs.50,000 as advance. I have been promised by the dealer, that I will get my car in the first batch delivered to them by VW after launch of diesel - Polo. That is within 1 month after launch. Now since the launch is in mid May, I should be getting the car by mid June. (but while booking the car, I was told that the car will be launched by mid of April, so the delivery will be mid of May) :eek:

Polo's spares will be costly. Some parts can be unreasonable too. Have no doubts about that. Spare prices will be down only if the volume of cars sold is high like maruthi or Hyundai. It is the Chicken or the Egg scenario. :Frustrati

Gaurav, how is your ownership experience about Polo? Apart from the accident, that is.

Chetan, Did you have a chance to look at the service bay of the dealer. I am very suspicious of their capabilities and space for a modern car like Polo. Both Hosur road and Downtown showrooms are too small and dingy. Not sure whether they have a separate service address.Also I am very skeptical of you receiving the car in mid June, that too a black one. The only silver lining is that all the polos delivered to at least Team BHPians are holding on with out any issues/niggles.

Hey Guys,
Same here.. There seems to be real problems either in production of the polo or something, god knows. I booked this car early March and was told this would be delivered by 3rd -4th week of April. Now the dealer is expressing his inability to deliver the vehicle and is not able to confirm when this would be delivered.
I talked to one of the regional head (sales) for southern region and he said he would get back to me, but never heard from him yet. God knows what's happening with production, where VW said they have capacity for 1L cars per annum.
Just keeping my fingers crossed. Will wait for a week and then decide.

Cheers,
Laxminarayan

For those of you getting a Polo, which accesories (now on display) make the most sense?

Here are a few that caught my eye:

1) Body Kit (front, side, rear skirts + exhaust finisher) - Oh how I wish we didn't have giant crater potholes and harmful debris flying everywhere on our roads. Then perhaps this body kit would have made the most sense. The under skirting looks very sexy and the finish is just as good as that of the car. The kit lowers the car by 1 inch on average, and at 60 grand odd, its quite expensive. On the plus side, its imported Europe and is color matched to the car.

2) Rear reverse sensors with audio (no display) warning - At Rs.
4500, these seemed a little too expensive as well. Yet again, their finish and color matching cannot be beat.

3) Navigation System - Now here's something pretty exciting! A small TFT screen provides turn by turn directions and, since this is an exclusive product, VW Branding is all over this little gadget. Cost, Rs. 13,000 odd.

Its sad to see that VW hasn't provided Electric mirror mechanisms or even steering audio controls even as dealer fitments. VW needs to be quicker to address customer feedback.

Quote:

Originally Posted by poloman (Post 1854619)
Chetan, Did you have a chance to look at the service bay of the dealer. I am very suspicious of their capabilities and space for a modern car like Polo. Both Hosur road and Downtown showrooms are too small and dingy. Not sure whether they have a separate service address.Also I am very skeptical of you receiving the car in mid June, that too a black one. The only silver lining is that all the polos delivered to at least Team BHPians are holding on with out any issues/niggles.

Service bay is very small. Definitely can not take the load of Polo. But, with the service interval of 15,000 kms and with prior appointment, it should not be a problem. Emergency breakdown services should not be more and also some space will be reserved for this kind of activity, in any service centre.

Having said that, I do not think that they can manage Polo in that space after 6 months. They have to expand. VW can look at separate service dealer network also. Or the same dealers can have a separate service center. This should not be a problem IMO. When they have a hugh manufacturing setup, they can as well have 100-150 dealers.

Poloman - IMHO, please consider if you are willing to take all this risk. I have driven Jeep, premier padmini, ambassador, maruthi 800, zen, santro, Matiz and spark. I have clocked more then 2 lakh kms in total, till now in 25 years. Till Maruthi 800 - you never know when the car will breakdown. But after that, these modern day cars do not break down in between service intervals. We only have to get it serviced as per the recommendation of the manufacturer. Small problems can arise in the car, but not so in the Engine. You will not be stranded anywhere. But, if we are not all that lucky......? Road side assistance anywhere in India, is free for Polo. From 1998, after I started driving Matiz, in 12 years, I have not had a single incident other then puncture.

Right now, Engine and Gear box are being imported as a whole. I intend to take advantage. :)