Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2010, 11:31   #496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by formel_eins View Post
ouchhh those pictures really hurt, hard to believe that fiat shall go to such extent in pretext of cost saving, anyways VW is providing 6 years of anti-corrosion warranty so atleast the polo owners wont get sleepless nights
Do you think Punto owners are getting sleepless nights ? If you look at the thread title it shouts "another satisfied Fiat customer" .

And please try to understand this - VW is giving 6 years warranty but that doesn't mean there can't be any rust . They will rectify the problem if you have it in 6 years time. Don't you think FIAT is also doing the same within warranty period. On top of that as far as I know from current gen FIAT owners , whenever there is a problem the parts gets replaced without much hassle and TASS don't always try to put the blame on you unlike few other companies ( Skoda ).

Can anyone confirm about Polo warranty policy ? I mean years / Kms ?
( Punto gets 4 years unlimited kms with extended warranty which pretty much covers everything , right ?
Old 12th March 2010, 11:38   #497
R17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avmaxfan View Post
According to Autocar, The Grane Punto is still the best handling hatchback and also has the best Ride quality.
As far as interiors and premium feel, space, etc its the Fabia that sets the benchmark.
Where did you pick that from ?

Here is the Autocar review, as posted on their website:-

Polo review & test drive | Autocar India

The title and the last line of the Autocar review is the same - "Polo is the new benchark for the premium hatchback segment".

Here is what the review says about the ride quality - "The Polo’s ride quality is simply outstanding and is one of the best in its class" - There is no reference to the Punto in here.

And here is what it says about the interiors - "Interior quality is superb but some essential equipment like electronically adjustable mirrors and digital climate control are missing. But the Indian version does get a bit of chrome on the dash, which looks good." - Again, no reference to the Fabia.

Is there any other review by Autocar, which is not posted on their website?
Old 12th March 2010, 12:23   #498
BANNED

Quite disappointed

I just saw a Silver color Polo on road today for the first time... In photos it looks better not so in actual. Frankly speaking i was quite disappointed. I was expecting a lot as its a german car. It doesn't look like a great car, did not appeal much to me

IMO Swift & Grande Punto looks much better actually on road. After that I 20. Polo may be better than Beat in terms of looks.
Old 12th March 2010, 12:48   #499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by methecupid View Post
well, firstly i want to thank the mods for approving my participation. So guys, excuse my naivety on the topic, to be frank about the VW Polo, i think it is a lot of brouhaha and less on substance. Lets put things in perspective, when we talk about 'premium hatch' or colloquially known as 'hot hatches' in India - there are only two - The Jazz and i20 (am ignoring the outmoded Fabia for the time being), VW has come to just tap the market with it offering, but at the same time wanted volumes for it cars - quite frankly, one doesnt get to see too many VWs on road, unlike say, in the UK!
wooing i10 customer?

IMO that would have never crossed VW mind, it was never made to compete in that segment, its like a apple and orange comparison. I have seen polo personally and not for a moment did I feel that plastics were cheap. Now you own a Jetta so probably when you got down from Jetta and landed in cabin of polo there would be a big difference. But do take a look at plastics of other cars in the same league, for instance Punto which personally gave me a Tata Indica feeling. I20 and Fabia have good plastics but then it comes at an additional premium. VW is trying to strike the sweet spot between 5.5L to 6.5L market, which is above the swifts, ritz, i10s but below i20s, Fabias and Jazz. Its a gamble they have taken and I feel it may surprisingly work in their favor.
Old 12th March 2010, 12:58   #500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
VW is trying to strike the sweet spot between 5.5L to 6.5L market, which is above the swifts, ritz, i10s but below i20s, Fabias and Jazz. Its a gamble they have taken and I feel it may surprisingly work in their favor.
Would you say that the Polo feels a more expensive car inside than does a Punto or a Swift? I guess I should get to the showroom and take a look than just speculate!
Old 12th March 2010, 14:18   #501
BHPian

Quote:
wooing i10 customer?

IMO that would have never crossed VW mind, it was never made to compete in that segment, its like a apple and orange comparison. I have seen polo personally and not for a moment did I feel that plastics were cheap. Now you own a Jetta so probably when you got down from Jetta and landed in cabin of polo there would be a big difference. But do take a look at plastics of other cars in the same league, for instance Punto which personally gave me a Tata Indica feeling. I20 and Fabia have good plastics but then it comes at an additional premium. VW is trying to strike the sweet spot between 5.5L to 6.5L market, which is above the swifts, ritz, i10s but below i20s, Fabias and Jazz. Its a gamble they have taken and I feel it may surprisingly work in their favor.
I am not trying to offend anyone but you know , there should be extremes in feelings. It's beyond that extreme to get a feel of Indica inside Punto

If it's space Punto is not comparable to Indica.
If it's solely design and Quality , Indica is no where close to Punto.

To me , in order to prove something as superior we shouldn't pull down it's competitor. All we can say is that X product is superior than Y in my opinion but not "Y is upright disappointment and best comparable to the worst"
Old 12th March 2010, 14:39   #502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcrawler View Post
Do you think Punto owners are getting sleepless nights ? If you look at the thread title it shouts "another satisfied Fiat customer" .

And please try to understand this - VW is giving 6 years warranty but that doesn't mean there can't be any rust . They will rectify the problem if you have it in 6 years time. Don't you think FIAT is also doing the same within warranty period. On top of that as far as I know from current gen FIAT owners , whenever there is a problem the parts gets replaced without much hassle and TASS don't always try to put the blame on you unlike few other companies ( Skoda ).

Can anyone confirm about Polo warranty policy ? I mean years / Kms ?
( Punto gets 4 years unlimited kms with extended warranty which pretty much covers everything , right ?
there are different types of customers in market, and if I had been a customer of Fiat, for sure I would feel really uneasy and the first thing I would do is crawl under my car to inspect it.

I dont deny that Fiat wont fix the problem, in fact they did, but to fix a thing covered under warranty is different but to sell a sub-standard product is another thing.

Polo comes with a 2 year warranty or 1 Lakh Kms, its the same with Punto. I had been to the showroom just after the launch and in that time polo did not have the option of extended warranty, they said probably this option will be introduced soon after deliveries start.
Old 12th March 2010, 14:45   #503
BHPian

Yesterday my two friends and I were in search of 1.2l Petrol Hatchback, shortlisted only two of them,VW Polo and Suzuki Swift.
VW showroom is 18km from my home and the only one in my city.
Took the test drive of Polo 1.2l Highline version and Ritz ZXI(actually there was no availability of new K-series Swift just for a look even so same engine Ritz for second time)
Here are my impressions for the same

- Polo has the killer looks, my favourite among all the hatches
- Ride quality is better than Punto and handling is comparable too
- Front seat comfort is class leading, driving position is also super comfortable
- Overall fit and finish is truly European
- Switches on dash feel of nice in quality
- Rear seat is strictly for two but very comfortable, no space for third person
- Rear legroom is below average, quite poor for the size of this
- Brake pedal position feels some forward to the accelerator pedal
- 3pot engine is rev happy, extremely noisy from outside when the AC is on, but from inside it is tolerable.Feeling of lacking behind in heavy traffic. Not even comparable with K-series silky smooth engine
- Boot space is jaw dropping
- Stereo quality on Highline version is excellent, but very basic in nature only cd player!

So I am facing quit dilemma over this two cars, as Polo is the leader in all aspects except the engine and Swift has the best engine available today with comparable ride and handling but a common sight nowadays and pretty old too, so what to do??
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-11032010.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-11032010001.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-11032010002.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-11032010003.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-11032010004.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-11032010005.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Polo_Pricelist.PDF (103.8 KB, 1051 views)
Old 12th March 2010, 14:46   #504
Senior - BHPian

Somewhat OT and maybe deserving of a thread of its own, but why do we in this forum take any criticism of our cars so personally??? I mean, it is almost as if we were the CEOs of the companies that made them. Its just a mass manufactured thing, not a custom built creation!
Old 12th March 2010, 14:50   #505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Would you say that the Polo feels a more expensive car inside than does a Punto or a Swift? I guess I should get to the showroom and take a look than just speculate!

yes polo does feel expensive from inside (highline) but then it is my opinion, I like interiors which are more practical and subtle. The quality of plastics, the texture and treatment, the color combination appeals me. Some people like more funky style like in beat, but for me simple and sober works.
Old 12th March 2010, 14:56   #506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcrawler View Post
I am not trying to offend anyone but you know , there should be extremes in feelings. It's beyond that extreme to get a feel of Indica inside Punto

If it's space Punto is not comparable to Indica.
If it's solely design and Quality , Indica is no where close to Punto.

To me , in order to prove something as superior we shouldn't pull down it's competitor. All we can say is that X product is superior than Y in my opinion but not "Y is upright disappointment and best comparable to the worst"
i meant the choice of plastics, the fit and finish. It was a TD car and I could see plastic threads coming from under the steering. Also the plastics really spelt cost cuttings. In the same showroom was Tata indica so I did get an opportunity to check out both. I am not talking about the designing but the plastics, so no offence
Old 12th March 2010, 15:02   #507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
There is a Fiat stall in my office today and I had a look at the Punto. Having had a look at the Polo just the day before, I can say that the Polo has better interiors and feels more solid. Space is pretty much the same in both cars. Punto has a much better steering wheel and a slightly better driver's position.

If I were to decide between the Polo and Punto, I would go for the Punto just because it has a better engine and more features. Hopefully I can take a look at the Figo this weekend.
Old 12th March 2010, 15:06   #508
BHPian

Quote:
wooing i10 customer?

This is just extreme. I own a Punto and have seen Indica Vista closely (including the special edition with leather and stuff). The plastics are far better in Punto then that of Indica.

I do not understand why people just get stuck on plastic quality, fit and finish when it comes to compariosn between a Punto and other hatchbacks. Is plastics the only thing that you look at while purchasing the car? Which other car provides the features provided by Punto in the same price range.

Punto may not be the best (I believe it is the best) but I am sure it not also bad leave alone being worse. Every car has issues and the point should be how well the issues have been addressed. Look around and we will find unsatisfied customers for every brand be it Maruti, Hyundai, Skoda etc.

FIAT has launched a good product with some very good features like BluenMe, displays the current mileage(km/l) which is correct to +-1 or 2, good use of electroics and software. The console displays various signals which gives an indication if something is wrong. The other day I saw a light glowing in the console and I found out that my indicator bulb was not working.

DO NOT just argue for the sake or arguing that Punto is not a good car etc etc. Comparisons should be made by taking all factors intyo account and not the -ve features of one car and +ve features of the other car. Every car has some good features and some bad features.
Old 12th March 2010, 15:14   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
There is a Fiat stall in my office today and I had a look at the Punto.
Hi Gilead: You had VW stall the day before and now Fiat stall . Its cool to have cars showcased within office premises.
Old 12th March 2010, 16:37   #510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R17 View Post
Where did you pick that from ?

Here is the Autocar review, as posted on their website:-

Polo review & test drive | Autocar India

The title and the last line of the Autocar review is the same - "Polo is the new benchark for the premium hatchback segment".

Here is what the review says about the ride quality - "The Polo’s ride quality is simply outstanding and is one of the best in its class" - There is no reference to the Punto in here.

And here is what it says about the interiors - "Interior quality is superb but some essential equipment like electronically adjustable mirrors and digital climate control are missing. But the Indian version does get a bit of chrome on the dash, which looks good." - Again, no reference to the Fabia.

Is there any other review by Autocar, which is not posted on their website?

You can check this week's Autoca Show. They compared the Polo, i20, Punto, and the Fabia.

Grande Punto was the best in Ride Quality & Handling, Fabia best in space, interiors,premium feel. Polo got the highest score in Looks

Overall they picked the Polo as the winner because of the overall package and the fact that its a fresh product. But Fabia bests it in almost every area except Looks and pricing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks