Team-BHP - Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/76341-volkswagen-polo-test-drive-review-230.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by anandrahchester (Post 3563695)
I am in the market for a new car and the search has been on for a while . I drive less than 1000 kms a month which left me with Petrol as the only fuel option.

Diesel can be a "lifestyle" choice, rather than an economic one. Or even better, a driving-style choice. That's why I bought my diesel Swift. I like driving a diesel.

I have to admit that, engine-wise, the 1.6 petrol polo has never felt as good as the 1.4 diesel Swift did.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anandrahchester (Post 3563695)

Should i go ahead with the buying decision and choose something else ? Team BHP members suggestions always weighed pretty high for me and this would be the most critical. Your comments will definitely have a say in the buying decision .

I would advise you to go ahead with your decision of buying Polo. I agree there are certain horror stories linked with Polo, infact almost all German cars but then these cars also have happy and extremely satisfied customers like me.
I think of polo as a 'happy' car i.e. this car does not have the best of engines( talking About 1.2 petrol and diesel), nor the best FE, nor the best performance but still I get a sense of satisfaction when I drive my Polo.
We own a Cedia and Brio both of which have really good engines, they are much more refined, much more powerful but still they don't make me happy for some strange reason.
Coming to Polo, GC will not trouble you until n unless you go very fast on a huge bump, even if you do Polo is a strong car and can withstand most of the hits. I have travelled a lot in this car without any issues till date (touchwood).
In the end I just want to say that Polo may not appeal to the head, but you know your heart wants Polo :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 3563885)
Diesel can be a "lifestyle" choice, rather than an economic one. Or even better, a driving-style choice. That's why I bought my diesel Swift. I like driving a diesel.

I have to admit that, engine-wise, the 1.6 petrol polo has never felt as good as the 1.4 diesel Swift did.

Very true . There are more than one factor that allows us to differentiate between and choose fuel options . I respect and acknowledge the fact that you like driving a diesel which is very much the leader in choice today . Having said that , unarguably, the key factor that differentiates between these two has always been the economy . More over , i liked the linear and progressive acceleration that a naturally aspirated petrol gives than an abrupt turbo charged power kicking out from nowhere in diesel . Each to their own :) Does not mean that i will hate a diesel if some one gives me a drive around . Easy on the pockets too with such usage pattern.

Far beyond it , a summary of your ownership experience will be invaluable , The reported early failures that may impact the mobility during unearthly hours and irritating niggles ripping my sleep off !

Thanks for chipping in , Mitsuvolk. The volk on your username is very suggestive of what a proud owner you must have been . I second your "Happy Car" feelings from a personal experience standpoint . I have always been a sedate city driver but letting myself loose on the highways . Apart from a tad high NVH levels , i did find the power delivery on 1.2P adequate and enjoyable . Thanks for recording a vote !

Quote:

Originally Posted by anandrahchester (Post 3564006)

Far beyond it , a summary of your ownership experience will be invaluable , The reported early failures that may impact the mobility during unearthly hours and irritating niggles ripping my sleep off !

My polo will have been with me for three years by February. When I bought it it, it was a last-year's-stock offer.

I don't know how the engine specs have changed since then, but I would say that the 1.6 does not really deliver the linear acceleration that you might expect. It doesn't have the power that I expected. It might hold its own once it gets going, but my diesel Swift would have taken the lead from the standing start. But one still pays the price of performance, with the relatively fuel-thirsty engine. I can't put numbers: Even when I used to write down all my fuel purchases I could seldom be bothered to do the calculations!

Still, as Mr Mitsuvolk said, it is a happy car. It is fairly comfortable, and fairly quiet. It beats the Swift on interior quality and noise. Except for those stupid air vents, which apparently all break within a couple of years and which I hear will not be replaced under extended warranty. Which is really, really stupid, as I never heard of such a thing. Mine are awaiting replacement.

The only other thing was a bad clunking at starting --- and VW diagnosed that to an engine-bearing problem, and replaced under warranty without a word. Known problem, I think, at least of that batch.

Be aware that you do not get very much with your VW. This is not just an India-being-short-changed thing: I had a Golf, in London, about 20 years ago, and the dashboard was full of blanks and the manual was full of "this may not be fitted to your model." The should have said probably isn't fitted to your car, so there! If anyone wants gadgets (and I guess we all like a few) they should probably be buying Hyundai, or spending a lot more money.

I only do about 5,000km a year. I'm thinking about combinations of getting older, traffic getting worse, driving getting more difficult, money getting less, and seriously thinking I probably won't ever buy another car. If this was UK, I'd confidently expect to get ten years out of a brand new VW. Here, I'm not so sure.

But if it lasts ten years, will I be happy to drive it for ten years? Yes... with an enthusiasm rating of about six or seven out of ten.

A lot will depend on ease and cost of maintenance as the car gets older. Time will tell: I can only wait and see on that one.

hey guys,

please post a snapshot of your polo wheel alignment report. i have to check some values.

thanks.

The music system that comes with the new polo high line, does it play directly from an Ipod or we need some adapter for the same to work.

Hi !

My 2011 Polo Trendline does not have an engine temperature gauge but shows the "ambient under the hood" temperature on the dashboard multi-display.
I have recently noticed that this reading fluctuates and goes as high as 37 degrees while the car is running and tends to drop to 33 when the car is idling. Also the radiator fan is on most of the time.
I do not recall seeing such high readings in the past - would usually be around 32 - 34 degrees.
The coolant level is normal , the car runs well, no warning lights have come on, AC cools well - its just this fluctuating readings.
Although Mumbai is currently "hot" at around 33 degrees, I have never noticed this kind of behaviour even in summer.

Is this normal ? Should I get anything checked ?
Or am I just being paranoid ??

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Dear mods, are we getting fresh official reviews of all new polo petrol, 1.5 diesel, gt tdi etc. thanks. Waiting for them for quite sometime.

So what I have heard is that the Andheri VW workshop (Tornado Motors) is closed and wrapped up.

Due to this there is a massive shortage of simple spare parts like Oil filter, air filter and the likes in Mumbai. My Service appointment has been postponed twice already. :eek:

Wonder if there is more to this?

Few days back, i drove my friend's Polo 1.2 TDi all over HSR layout(Bangalore) with 3(+a baby) passengers. It did not scrape anywhere over those gargantuan speed breakers.

So ground clearance is not an issue if driven sedately(unlike the fiesta classic that i drove over the same roads, it used to scrape even when inching under load).

Good news to all, who is planning to go for alloys on their polo comfortline & trend line.

Mine was due for 2nd service and took it to the service centre. I saw VW alloys 15" there in the display 4 for 16500 only.
First I couldn't believe that and confirmed with the sa there,
I couldn't resist anymore and asked them to fit. To my surprise the final cost came to 14500. We will not get any after market alloy at that price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SalsaCorp (Post 3594813)
I saw VW alloys 15" there in the display 4 for 16500 only.
To my surprise the final cost came to 14500.

It's a great news. Thanks for sharing.

Please share picture of your alloys, there are 3-4 different types (generation) of 15" alloy wheel that VW uses in Polo/Vento.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SalsaCorp (Post 3594813)
I saw VW alloys 15" there in the display 4 for 16500 only.

The OEM alloys are not from Borbet and is not Made in Spain/SA. They are imported from China and the face isn't machined unlike the ones from Spain. From thoma's ownership thread, here's the image of the import sticker:

Hi Polo owners, I have been in the market to buy a petrol hatchback and has been weighing options. Almost finalized at grand i10 Asta(O). Has not been a lot impressed by grands long term reports however I still think i10 is a good choice as it adequately satisfies all areas and probably excels in none. Lately polo has got in to my head with its incredible looks and amazing paint quality as well as the said superior build quality. Long term usability (read 6 to 7 years) is something I value and I feel polo could be better option from that perspective. However the three cylinder engine and said high maintenance and spares cost is something that holding me back. Would highly value suggestions of owners here. Please provide your valuable suggestions.