Team-BHP - Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/76341-volkswagen-polo-test-drive-review-226.html)

hi fellow polo owners,

I'm experiencing shuddering on the rear wiper of my 2 month old polo. while going left it seems to go smoothly but while coming back to right it shudders and leaves water blobs.

1. what could be causing this ?
2. is it something I can fix myself ?
3. is this covered under warranty and be replaced/fixed free of cost by vw dealer ?

thanks a ton :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rana_kirti (Post 3518225)
hi fellow polo owners,

I'm experiencing shuddering on the rear wiper of my 2 month old polo. while going left it seems to go smoothly but while coming back to right it shudders and leaves water blobs.

1. what could be causing this ?
2. is it something I can fix myself ?
3. is this covered under warranty and be replaced/fixed free of cost by vw dealer ?

thanks a ton :)

My 2 cents:
1 -> have you tried properly cleaning the surface of the glass and the wiper. Sometimes dirty glass also causes shuddering.
2-> covered above.
3-> quite unlikely. But 'puchne mein kya jaata hai' ;)
All the best!

Quote:

Originally Posted by shefiu (Post 3518184)
Anyone put have an unobtrusive navigation solution in their polo?

The audio unit location is ideal for a large screen replacement - but not seen many reliable navigation options out there.

Anyone who has done care to share with us?

Hello there,
I've got my music system replaced from the dealership itself - VW Delhi West. It is a great system and has - Touch Screen Display, Navigation, DVD, Bluetooth, USB (2 nos.), iPod Connectivity, Reverse Camera (included in the price), a game and option to type and save notes too ! Although onboard memory is just ~100 MB. I paid Rs. 40,000/- for it after the dealership deducted Rs. 5,000/- for the system that comes with the New Polo. Please do note that the newly introduced Voice Command system doesn't work with it.

Have a look at this -

When turned off

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-dsc02599.jpg

When switched on

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-dsc02603.jpg

Home Screen Menu

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-dsc02604.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by vishalchaudhary (Post 3518393)
Hello there,
I've got my music system replaced from the dealership itself - VW Delhi West.

Congratulations! Beautiful factory look!

RNS 510 right? Did the MMI Maps came bundled with it or you had to buy it separately?

Quote:

Originally Posted by blr (Post 3518449)
Congratulations! Beautiful factory look!

RNS 510 right? Did the MMI Maps came bundled with it or you had to buy it separately?

Thank you Sir.
Sorry, I really don't know what model number it is !
Yes the maps came bundled with it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blr (Post 3518449)
RNS 510 right?

No it isn't. This is the RNS 510:

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-opticalparkingsystemrns510navigationsystem1.jpg

The original RNS 510 costs 1000 USD and upwards (link).

PC: Google Images

The system mentioned is not from vw. This system is provided by caska.Here is the linkhttp://www.caskaindia.com/caska-suit...tifunction.htm The dealers procure it from caska and sell it at premium.
Listing on ebay:
http://www.ebay.in/itm/VOLKSWAGEN-2-...9ee26cf&_uhb=1

In India we'd have to go for aftermarket ones like the Caska Unit or other options like Blaupunkt or Kenwood if we're looking for that OEM feel.

I'd gladly cough up the dough for an RNS unit if only there were any maps available for India. As far as I know I don't think they are unless the gurus prove me otherwise.

What's annoying about these other options are the really slow response rate and their tacky interface. Kenwood has a very nice and OEM looking DNX535VBT which should work well with the MFSW and the upgraded cluster for those who have.. but the interface is so slow to respond, and its styling leaves much to be desired.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gannu_1 (Post 3518483)
No it isn't. This is the RNS 510:

The original RNS 510 costs 1000 USD and upwards

Thanks Gannu for pointing that out! For lack of a better alternative, I wouldn't mind spending that amount for a neat integrated solution if the maps could be made to work.

BTW, congrats and all the best for your soon to acquire new status!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunilsoft (Post 3518492)
The system mentioned is not from vw. This system is provided by caska

Thanks a lot sunilsoft!

I would rather stay away from Caska if at all possible. While I definitely will be going for an ICE with integrated NAV, I prefer to stick either with an OEM VW unit or Blaupunkt/Kenwood.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shefiu (Post 3518828)
In India we'd have to go for aftermarket ones like the Caska Unit or other options like Blaupunkt or Kenwood if we're looking for that OEM feel.

I'd gladly cough up the dough for an RNS unit if only there were any maps available for India. As far as I know I don't think they are unless the gurus prove me otherwise.

What's annoying about these other options are the really slow response rate and their tacky interface. Kenwood has a very nice and OEM looking DNX535VBT which should work well with the MFSW and the upgraded cluster for those who have.. but the interface is so slow to respond, and its styling leaves much to be desired.

Thanks shefiu!

Me in the same boat too! Now that the RNS 510 is out of question, I will have to choose between the Blaupunkt 835 and the Kenwood DNX535VBT. I also read at some place that the DNX535 has better integration with the card (MFSW, Maxidot etc) but I am seeing the majority of BHP'ans going for the Blaupunkt unit. Any insights?

I may have some more time to make a decision now that my relocation is delayed by a few months. Most likely will be taking delivery of the car only sometime early next year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blr (Post 3518842)

Me in the same boat too! Now that the RNS 510 is out of question, I will have to choose between the Blaupunkt 835 and the Kenwood DNX535VBT. I also read at some place that the DNX535 has better integration with the card (MFSW, Maxidot etc) but I am seeing the majority of BHP'ans going for the Blaupunkt unit. Any insights?

I may have some more time to make a decision now that my relocation is delayed by a few months. Most likely will be taking delivery of the car only sometime early next year.

I have been agonizing over this decision for a while now. The RNS/RCD 510 is a tricky one. There are lots of versions and the fully-featured, well made one is quite pricey.

If you want the OE look then, as you've mentioned, the choice is really between the Blau and Kenwood. But both have their issues. The Blau UI is quite rudimentary and it is known to have issues with radio reception world over. Also in terms of its audio specs I can't find what D/A converter it uses or if it has any signal-processing tech. The Blau's advantage is that it's CAN Bus compatible with minimal use of interfaces. So in a Polo, speed sensitive volume control will work, MFSW will work and park distance display will work. The Blau is fast going out of stock because of the VW order. The quote I have is 41.5k.

With the Kenwood, apart from what you've mentioned, AFAIK it's not CAN Bus compatible. It only looks OE. So it needs interfaces to work with steering controls and so is as good or bad as any other headunit that isn't specifically made for VW. Its UI is better though. Although it's shown on Kenwood's site it isn't available and there is no date for when it'll be available. I also think it'll be more expensive than the Blau.

I want good sound quality and a slick UI, so the answer to my mind (right now) is to get a top of the line Pioneer headunit for about the same cost as the Blau with an interface for steering controls. I lose speed sensitive volume and park distance but I gain sound quality, DSP, MirrorLink with phone and nicer UI.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

I can live with an ok radio and ok sound quality as the band-pass filter has set in my ears already :), but would like to have those added conveniences and better integration with the CAN-BUS.

As for the radio, my thought is that an amplified antenna will solve the issue with reception to a great degree. I am planning to give it a try by putting in an amplified shark fin. I know 835 doesn't put out phantom power, so I shall use an external power injector.

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarScream (Post 3518904)
I have been agonizing over this decision for a while now. The RNS/RCD 510 is a tricky one. There are lots of versions and the fully-featured, well made one is quite pricey.

If you want the OE look then, as you've mentioned, the choice is really between the Blau and Kenwood. But both have their issues. The Blau UI is quite rudimentary and it is known to have issues with radio reception world over. Also in terms of its audio specs I can't find what D/A converter it uses or if it has any signal-processing tech. The Blau's advantage is that it's CAN Bus compatible with minimal use of interfaces. So in a Polo, speed sensitive volume control will work, MFSW will work and park distance display will work. The Blau is fast going out of stock because of the VW order. The quote I have is 41.5k.

With the Kenwood, apart from what you've mentioned, AFAIK it's not CAN Bus compatible. It only looks OE. So it needs interfaces to work with steering controls and so is as good or bad as any other headunit that isn't specifically made for VW. Its UI is better though. Although it's shown on Kenwood's site it isn't available and there is no date for when it'll be available. I also think it'll be more expensive than the Blau.

I want good sound quality and a slick UI, so the answer to my mind (right now) is to get a top of the line Pioneer headunit for about the same cost as the Blau with an interface for steering controls. I lose speed sensitive volume and park distance but I gain sound quality, DSP, MirrorLink with phone and nicer UI.

Quote:

Found a video if the DNX525DAB that's sold in the UK. Previous units in the series have been "made for VW" with many of the dealers installing it on delivery for their customers there. the DNX535VBT should be very similar albeit without DAB since we would have no use for it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z56VsKqtPCE

I would think it should be CAN BUS compatible if it were to have all those features that are advertised there. You can also see videos of the previous iterations (521DAB) by some UK users. Thankfully the latest one's interface seems to be more smooth and faster, but still has annoying transitions.

Quote:

I guess a lot of us are ready to fall short to have an OEM look, which is the wrong way to go as quality should take premise. So, I applaud you for looking the right direction. From what I've seen though, is that the premium Pioneer units can get on the expensive side.

I like where the discussion is going though, as there seems to be a few heads at least in terms of the expectations of the head unit

ICE for a VAG car? I have purchased, installed and used a few after market HUs made for VAG cars. The best I've found is this: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...vw-review.html

I've researched a lot on which is the best alternative to RNS 510 as that one does not come with India maps yet. The above link is the answer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shefiu (Post 3518942)
Found a video if the DNX525DAB that's sold in the UK. Previous units in the series have been "made for VW" with many of the dealers installing it on delivery for their customers there. the DNX535VBT should be very similar albeit without DAB since we would have no use for it here.

I would think it should be CAN BUS compatible if it were to have all those features that are advertised there. You can also see videos of the previous iterations (521DAB) by some UK users. Thankfully the latest one's interface seems to be more smooth and faster, but still has annoying transitions.

I guess a lot of us are ready to fall short to have an OEM look, which is the wrong way to go as quality should take premise. So, I applaud you for looking the right direction. From what I've seen though, is that the premium Pioneer units can get on the expensive side.

I like where the discussion is going though, as there seems to be a few heads at least in terms of the expectations of the head unit

I believe the Kenwood requires an additional accessory to make it CAN compatible and that is not the case with the Blau.

They mention it needing a black box here -
http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk.../vw/DNX521DAB/

And which is why Blau advertises the fact that it is CAN compatible, while Kenwood doesnt, I guess.

The Pioneer is a little more but not by much. Their top-of-the-line navigation headunit, the AVIC F60BT, is 44k. Their top DVD receiver, minus navigation, but with all other features of the F60BT is listed at 37k so the retail price should be cheaper still. I've stalled just to check the MirrorLink compatibility of my phone. If I can mirror my phone's display on the HU then I don't need built-in navigation and can just use Waze or Google Maps and save some money.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj (Post 3518971)
ICE for a VAG car? I have purchased, installed and used a few after market HUs made for VAG cars. The best I've found is this: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...vw-review.html

I've researched a lot on which is the best alternative to RNS 510 as that one does not come with India maps yet. The above link is the answer.

Wow, way to get a 3rd player in the running. Gonna post a lot of questions in your thread!