Team-BHP - Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/76341-volkswagen-polo-test-drive-review-219.html)

Today was indeed a beautiful day. Everything about today has been so impressive. The pick up, power and the punch.

This post is nothing new, all the details have already been given by our fellow BHPians. Anurag ( fellow BHPian ) and myself have stepped out to check out the New Polo. What bolstered us was the pleasant and appeasing climate.

A small word on Volkswagen Dealers. Today being a sunday and a festive holiday, the showroom was closed. I had made up a call to the Orion Motor Manager and he quickly arranged fora test drive by sending a driver to the place.( May be he lives close to the place, its a different story) Both of us were flabbergasted by this gesture and attitude of their's. It must have been our rapport with these guys or they zest to promote the New Polo. I share this as there have been a lot of negative threads on VW. And reading all of them made me feel sad and low about their attitude. Though i had my share of quirks with their below average workshop technicians, This positive gesture today made us feel good, or may be the climate had a very soothing effect on my mind. A special thanks to VW Jubliee Hills, Hyderabad. Absolutely no marketing or favoritism towards them. Sharing a feel good factor. Lets hope VW lives up to honor their customers.

Now coming to the polo i have a little to add to what has already been discussed. Anurag and myself drove the car for quite some time and here are my observations.
THE NEW POLO. FELT THAT GOOD
WATCHING THE CARS BEHIND YOU VANISH ( errr, something like that ), a very interesting marketing slogan.

Few snaps-

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-photo7.jpg
Three new colors with the new polo

Carbon steel
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-img_2976.jpg

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-img_2979.jpg

Night Blue
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-img_2989.jpg
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-img_2990.jpg
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-img_2998.jpg

Looks similar to the Tempest Blue Mettalic Shade
Copper Orange

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-photo-12.jpg
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-photo-22.jpg

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-img_2963.jpg
The new steering wheel, an absolute joy to hold.

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-img_2970.jpg
Both the front and back logo's are now glossy, finger print magnets

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-img_2971.jpg
Notice the new seat fabric, seats were supportive enough.

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-img_2996.jpg
The 'TOSA' Looks much better in person.

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-img_2961.jpg
Same old, same old.

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-img_2978.jpg
Not sure if there are two bulbs in there.

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-img_2975.jpg
1.5TDI, The heart of Shattle.

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-20140720_153416.jpg
The white back lighting. Looks Austere, gone is the gaudiness.

Quote:

Originally Posted by humyum (Post 3483158)
Idea ka internet jab lagaving, no ullu banaving, no ullu banaving :D

The oxygen sensor is placed inside the manifold somewhere in the exhaust system. The sensor itself is placed inside the manifold and no rat on this planet can go inside the manifold and eat the sensor itself or damage it. The only thing that can be eaten is the wiring which can be easily taped and put back in place. Ask him to solder it, tape it with multiple rounds of taping on the effected portion, delete the CEL by the scanner and DONE. Don't even think of paying 10 k for something which is be easily fixed for less than 50 bucks.

Oh he never claimed the sensor is damaged. It is the wiring that's been chewed. Both sets of wires have been chewed in fact, the one coming from the sensor and the other from the ECU. There's also a set of connectors in between, and the one on the ECU side has fallen off! And the parts are crazy expensive: sensor is 4.5k, the wire harness is 3k, and the connector is 2k. :Shockked: Only silver lining is that it's the downstream (post-catcon) sensor, so it's not affecting my engine performance so much.

I don't think service centres are allowed to do stuff like twist wires together and tape them. Probably all part of the thinking behind designing wiring looms: it makes it impossible to change just one, cheap, simple piece of wire :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLizardKing (Post 3483300)
Oh he never claimed the sensor is damaged. It is the wiring that's been chewed. Both sets of wires have been chewed in fact, the one coming from the sensor and the other from the ECU. There's also a set of connectors in between, and the one on the ECU side has fallen off! And the parts are crazy expensive: sensor is 4.5k, the wire harness is 3k, and the connector is 2k. :Shockked: Only silver lining is that it's the downstream (post-catcon) sensor, so it's not affecting my engine performance so much.

Well, let the sensor be, connect the wires like how I told you by soldering and taping and see what happens. I am 99.99% positive it will work. Heck I've seen wires for injectors getting soldiered and put back and work like a charm. If you are not okay with this arrangement just get the wiring harness and connector.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 3483415)
I don't think service centres are allowed to do stuff like twist wires together and tape them. Probably all part of the thinking behind designing wiring looms: it makes it impossible to change just one, cheap, simple piece of wire :Frustrati

:deadhorse sadely the truth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by humyum (Post 3483817)
Well, let the sensor be, connect the wires like how I told you by soldering and taping and see what happens. I am 99.99% positive it will work. Heck I've seen wires for injectors getting soldiered and put back and work like a charm. If you are not okay with this arrangement just get the wiring harness and connector.

:deadhorse sadely the truth.

Problem here is that once the service centre has recorded the problem officially, even if the owner gets it 1000% perfectly done from outside, VW will not honour any future warranty surrounding the component(s) in question.

I faced this issue with Chevy when I upgraded my earlier Aveo's tyres from the crappy OEM NCT 185/60/14 to Yoko ES 100 195/60/14. Had incidentally noted that a job card (the handwritten version) had a 'tyre upgrade comment' from my SA.

Months later when I faced a wheel bearing issue, I asked them to change it under warranty and they initially said no based on my 'upgrade'. Luckily, Chevy also had a service bulletin to check Aveo wheel bearings which I was aware of :D, so they changed the rear wheel bearings for free.

Do keep this in mind! Anything officially recorded in a vehicle records database is a dual-edged sword. This is especially true for VW with it's Germanic obsession on process and documentation.

Attachment 1264631I've booked the Polo 1.2 Highline and have been promised delivery by the end of this week.

Color - Night Blue.

Funny thing though, the sales rep sent me the VIN number, and on decoding i learnt that it says the vehicle is a 2015 model. Any idea why ?! Has me totally puzzled !

Attaching a pic of the display model... The dark showroom doesn't do justice to the gorgeous blue.

Cheers !

Quote:

Originally Posted by pavan_jacob (Post 3484799)
Attachment 1264631

Funny thing though, the sales rep sent me the VIN number, and on decoding i learnt that it says the vehicle is a 2015 model. Any idea why ?! Has me totally puzzled !

Cheers !

The year mentioned is probably the 'model year' and not the year of manufacture.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivriti (Post 3485251)
The year mentioned is probably the 'model year' and not the year of manufacture.

Well if the 10th Character is indeed the year of manufacture, then in my case that translates to 2015 , the 10th character being F. :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunilsoft (Post 3482883)
It totally depends on how you going to use the ride. If the average running is more than 1500 kms it does makes sense to go for the diesel option.

The 1.5 l engine is absolutely a gem. I have test driven the polo highline tdi myself and its a great car. The engine is a four cylinder engine and provides ample power and torque at your disposal. Steering is precise and it takes a little time to get used to it.

If you really want to go for the petrol go for the TSI and DSG option. The combination is way above its league.

He drove petrol cars mostly so not familiar with diesel, I agree 1.5 tdi provides good pickup till 4k RPM, he liked 1.2 3 cylinder motor more:D
GT isn't available as of now so he booked the petrol 1.2.
No discounts or any kinda gift is available with polo with their new polo.
205/65-15 will be overkill for 1.2 petrol ? what would be ideal upsize ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by unknown (Post 3486142)
He drove petrol cars mostly so not familiar with diesel, I agree 1.5 tdi provides good pickup till 4k RPM, he liked 1.2 3 cylinder motor more:D
GT isn't available as of now so he booked the petrol 1.2.
No discounts or any kinda gift is available with polo with their new polo.
205/65-15 will be overkill for 1.2 petrol ? what would be ideal upsize ?

The ideal size would be 195-65 15. Look for Bridgestone ar 20 or Michelin primary 3st.

Quote:

Originally Posted by unknown (Post 3486142)
what would be ideal upsize ?

196 60 R15 or 205 55 R15. Deviating from it would result in loss of braking. Michelin P3ST and Continental CPC2 are favorite choice.

195 65 R15 is a wrong upsize.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pavan_jacob (Post 3485744)
Well if the 10th Character is indeed the year of manufacture, then in my case that translates to 2015 , the 10th character being F. :Frustrati

The 10th char is the model year. I do not know the logic, but typically vehicles manufactured later part of the year always have the model year as the next year. In your case since it is newly launched face-lift, I assume all the cars will be marked as 2015 model.

When I bought by Vento TSI in Nov 2013, the car was Oct manufactured and model year was 2014.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajeevraj (Post 3486374)
The 10th char is the model year. I do not know the logic, but typically vehicles manufactured later part of the year always have the model year as the next year. In your case since it is newly launched face-lift, I assume all the cars will be marked as 2015 model.

When I bought by Vento TSI in Nov 2013, the car was Oct manufactured and model year was 2014.

Ah Ok, thanks for the information Rajeev. This is only for VW or does it apply for all other vehicles as well ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pavan_jacob (Post 3486740)
Ah Ok, thanks for the information Rajeev. This is only for VW or does it apply for all other vehicles as well ?

I think it applies to several manufacturers. But maybe not all. The first page of the VIN decoding thread should have the correct info.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajeevraj (Post 3486744)
I think it applies to several manufacturers. But maybe not all. The first page of the VIN decoding thread should have the correct info.

Fair Enough. Thanks again for the information, i've been giving the SA hell for this, poor chap doesn't know himself and has no explanation either ! Time for us bhpians to educate them - nothing new ! lol: