Team-BHP - Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/76341-volkswagen-polo-test-drive-review-186.html)

The shadow blue Polo seen on road, looks good, but suits the Vento more.

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-dsc00672.jpg

Cheers!

^^I think the colour goes well with bigger cars. When I saw the Shadow Blue on the Vento, I felt it looked ok, but not outstanding - probably because of the fact that I have seen the Jetta here in the same shade :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by shashank.nk (Post 3035973)
Unfortunately there are no clear timelines for the 1.6TDi launch, what we read is mere speculation though it may get launched sometime later this year. If you're in no hurry then you can wait for it.

The 1.6 will certainly be more expensive than the 1.2TDI, whether they'll retain the existing prices for the 1.2 and sell the 1.6 at a premium, or reduce the prices is a tough one to guess. I think they will price the 1.6 at a 50k to 1 lakh premium over the 1.2TDI.

Being an owner who's experienced a few problems initially, I can say that VW is not as reliable as the Japs. But fret not, the clutch problems you've read about might be the hard clutch which was fine after a clutch hose pipe replacement. Engine mounts were also replaced under warranty i believe.

The 2013 Polo has ACC too is it ? Even at 8.77 lakhs, its still a good buy my friend, you seem to like the engine so go ahead with it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbppjpr (Post 3035835)
No, its not a diesel rather 1.2 TSI is a turbo charged 4 cylinder petrol engine. And it will be expensive than the current 1.2 petrol variant because of added turbo and all other stuffs. 1.2 TSI is more fuel efficient and more powerful engine.

If you already liked the Polo 1.2 TDI than stick with it, its a nice rev friendly engine. Drives like a petrol car unlike most other engines which have very limited rev range. Power delivery is linear and predictable. Turbo doesn't behave like on/off switch which makes it easy to drive. It can't be called a 'fast' engine but still you can enjoy few spirited bursts once you get used to of the car and mange to figure out its power band.

Heard that VW also added auto climate control in the top end variant along with the already added features in 'refreshed' variants so Polo much more VFM now.

Hey Shashank thanks for the info. I'm sticking to the polo I did a TD of the vehicle the turbo lag is not a bother as most enthusiasts claim. For those spirited drives i've an Innova. I think for city commute and occasional long trips with my girl this should be good(who btw loves the looks of the polo).

Hey tbppjpr I'm sticking with the Polo but my friends are insisting I do a TD of the I20 and the new Swift. I still feel vague about spending 8+Lakhs for a Maruti car and the top end i20 comes close to 9.6L OTR. If I go for a lower end variant without the ABS+EBD in the I20 (my driving does not exceed 120kmph) will it be a mistake?

Quote:

Originally Posted by captain_slow (Post 3036857)
my friends are insisting I do a TD of the I20 and the new Swift. I still feel vague about spending 8+Lakhs for a Maruti car and the top end i20 comes close to 9.6L OTR. If I go for a lower end variant without the ABS+EBD in the I20 (my driving does not exceed 120kmph) will it be a mistake?

There is no harm in doing test drive. All cars have their own pros and cons. Do test drive all of them, maybe like something else which is not there in the Polo. Or atleast you will know what these cars are missing which is there in the Polo.

One should always take test drives of different cars before buying becasue car is not something which we keep buying frequently. :)

Slightly OT! I have read people remapping Vento and Rapid 1.6 TDI engines for more power, but I have not read any similar remap for Polo/Fabia 1.2 TDI to boost the power. Is it something not possible in this engine or not worth the effort?

Quote:

Originally Posted by captain_slow (Post 3036857)
If I go for a lower end variant without the ABS+EBD in the I20 (my driving does not exceed 120kmph) will it be a mistake?

Let me guess, it was a salesman either at Hyundai/Maruti that told you about ABS being related to speed right ? Anyway, whoever told you this doesn't know how ABS works.

ABS kicks in whenever it detects that wheels might lock up, this may happen at 30kmph in the city or at 120km/hr on the highways. ABS helped me avoid a collision with a scooter who "flew" from the side lane and landed right in my path when i was doing less than 40 kmph, so ABS helps at lesser speeds too, you don't have to be doing 100km/hr and brake hard to see its effect.

Whenever you drive an ABS equipped car the stopping distance is always much lesser than a Non-ABS car except in situations like an oil spill or where there's sand/loose gravel where your brake (ESP with traction control helps here). If you can afford a ABS equipped car, always opt for that model over a lower variant from a higher segment.

If you're looking at the i20, the sprotz model offers ABS without airbags.

Quote:

Originally Posted by altius (Post 3036970)
Slightly OT! I have read people remapping Vento and Rapid 1.6 TDI engines for more power, but I have not read any similar remap for Polo/Fabia 1.2 TDI to boost the power. Is it something not possible in this engine or not worth the effort?

+1 to that. I've hardly seen any Polo's (infact none) with a TB or a remap. AFAIK, a particular fabia (1.2TDI) runs on red rooster box. But, RD has a TB for the Polo and Kiirus have remaps for the 1.2 TDI

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbppjpr (Post 3036958)
There is no harm in doing test drive. All cars have their own pros and cons. Do test drive all of them, maybe like something else which is not there in the Polo. Or atleast you will know what these cars are missing which is there in the Polo.

One should always take test drives of different cars before buying becasue car is not something which we keep buying frequently. :)

Hey tbppjpr. I TD the i20 and the new Swift I was shocked when I drove both vehicles. My history of cars Toyota Innova, Corolla and the VW Vento. Except for the Vento both cars have a hydraulic steering system to which i'm used I was shocked when I drove the i20 the steering is too light. It felt like a baby's bottom :D or rather the trackpad of a Macbook pro, there is no feedback and while driving I was guessing where the tires where pointed. The Swift I drove had a lot of problems the dashboard was not rattling but literally shaking and making a lot of noise and the turbo lag was too much when I pressed the accelerator the car took literally 4-5 seconds to move forward. On the plus side the steering is well tuned felt like a hydraulic unit and the suspension soaks the bumps. The top end has most of the required accessories and the OTR price Bangalore is 8.65Lakhs delivery within two months of booking. A Maruti for such a high price the build quality just does not negate the price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shashank.nk (Post 3037029)
Let me guess, it was a salesman either at Hyundai/Maruti that told you about ABS being related to speed right ? Anyway, whoever told you this doesn't know how ABS works.

ABS kicks in whenever it detects that wheels might lock up, this may happen at 30kmph in the city or at 120km/hr on the highways. ABS helped me avoid a collision with a scooter who "flew" from the side lane and landed right in my path when i was doing less than 40 kmph, so ABS helps at lesser speeds too, you don't have to be doing 100km/hr and brake hard to see its effect.

Whenever you drive an ABS equipped car the stopping distance is always much lesser than a Non-ABS car except in situations like an oil spill or where there's sand/loose gravel where your brake (ESP with traction control helps here). If you can afford a ABS equipped car, always opt for that model over a lower variant from a higher segment.

Hey Shashank I felt the ABS kick in my car today yes your report is certainly right. I will not purchase a vehicle without ABS and EBD. Thanks for your input. By the way how is your black stallion?

Quote:

Originally Posted by captain_slow (Post 3037275)
I was shocked when I drove the i20 the steering is too light. It felt like a baby's bottom :D or rather the trackpad of a Macbook pro, there is no feedback and while driving I was guessing where the tires where pointed.

Yes, Hyundai cars certainly fall in different category. Whchever Hyundai I have driven so far, couldn't feel comfortable going above 80 km/hr. If you are a very sedate driver and most of the drives happen in the city then Hyundai cars do the job pretty well.

VWs also have EPS but those are most precise steerings I have experienced so far. Even I rate them higher than the Hydraulic steerings available in the mass segment cars. Just couple of drives, and you will get used to of the 'precision'.

Quote:

turbo lag was too much when I pressed the accelerator the car took literally 4-5 seconds to move forward. On the plus side the steering is well tuned felt like a hydraulic unit and the suspension soaks the bumps.
Yes, Swift is one of those cars which have worst tubo lag. But once you learn to keep the RPM in the turbo range, its very quick. Still I personally never liked the on/off kind of turbo tuning. Figo has least turbo lag, though I won't call it the tuning, rather its because of the short gear ratios. But than that car suffers at high speeds. It doesn't feel relax on speeds above 90-100 km/hr while driving on highway.

VW 1.2 TDI is a 3 cylinder engine and it feels unrefined only when its cold started and driven at lower RPMs. Once the engine is warned up and you cross the 1800 RPM, it starts getting smoother and the story completely changes once you cross the 3K RPMs, yes 3000 RPMs. Looks unbelievable in a diesel car but the VW TDI engines certainly have very long rev range that too with some real output, not the fake RPM increase. You can easily push till 4500 RPMs. And that revvy engine note is just enough to fall in love of the loud sounding engines. Other Polo TDI owners may confirm that :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbppjpr (Post 3037285)
Yes, Hyundai cars certainly fall in different category. Whchever Hyundai I have driven so far, couldn't feel comfortable going above 80 km/hr. If you are a very sedate driver and most of the drives happen in the city then Hyundai cars do the job pretty well.

VWs also have EPS but those are most precise steerings I have experienced so far. Even I rate them higher than the Hydraulic steerings available in the mass segment cars. Just couple of drives, and you will get used to of the 'precision'.

Yes, Swift is one of those cars which have worst tubo lag. But once you learn to keep the RPM in the turbo range, its very quick. Still I personally never liked the on/off kind of turbo tuning. Figo has least turbo lag, though I won't call it the tuning, rather its because of the short gear ratios. But than that car suffers at high speeds. It doesn't feel relax on speeds above 90-100 km/hr while driving on highway.

VW 1.2 TDI is a 3 cylinder engine and it feels unrefined only when its cold started and driven at lower RPMs. Once the engine is warned up and you cross the 1800 RPM, it starts getting smoother and the story completely changes once you cross the 3K RPMs, yes 3000 RPMs. Looks unbelievable in a diesel car but the VW TDI engines certainly have very long rev range that too with some real output, not the fake RPM increase. You can easily push till 4500 RPMs. And that revvy engine note is just enough to fall in love of the loud sounding engines. Other Polo TDI owners may confirm that :)

I'm a relaxed driver wouldn't want to rev around the city and I certainly maintain my highway speed at 80-120 KMPH. The Hyundai is just too scary and new comers can get used to a car like that but not me. There is no feedback there is none, zilch nada. The steering is not confidence inspiring.

The Swift has a mature suspension setup and feels planted even at low speeds but the build quality is definitely not worth the price that they demand. The Swift has a cult following and people will spend that much on that car is it a VFM I dont feel so, the quality simply must improve. The resale value of a swift is amazing though a three year old car can be sold with a loss of just 1 LAKH! Indians certainly are very well versed with the versatility of this machine.

Now to the Polo. It has won me over it does everything the swift does and better. The looks, build and ride are good. The polo suspension is mature and though it is not upto the level of the Swift it certainly doesn't come short in its way of driving. Build quality I've been going on an on about the premium feel I'll stop here. Its not that noisy really, living with an Innova the way it revs upto 3rd gear I wouldn't complain about the noise levels of the polo. 3 cylinder engine that people say is noisy, in Bangalore at peak traffic hours the decibels can go upto 88 decibels this will certainly keep the polo muted. It revs happily, turns like a bee, feels comfortable and is VFM with its latest features.

Quote:

Originally Posted by captain_slow (Post 3037275)
The top end has most of the required accessories and the OTR price Bangalore is 8.65Lakhs delivery within two months of booking. A Maruti for such a high price the build quality just does not negate the price.

:Shockked: The Swift was coming to 8.16 lakhs at this time last year, a cool 50k increase with no additions. Its way too overpriced IMO.

Quote:

By the way how is your black stallion?
After the initial hiccups, its been a good last 6 months or so. On Feb 3rd she finished one year with us. First service is round the corner, so you can expect a comprehensive report once its done.
The FE is brilliant really,14-15 in city and 20+ on the highways! I only wish I could operate the rear power windows from the drivers side :Frustrati
other than this I don't miss anything

Quote:

Originally Posted by shashank.nk (Post 3037599)
:Shockked: The Swift was coming to 8.16 lakhs at this time last year, a cool 50k increase with no additions. Its way too overpriced IMO.

After the initial hiccups, its been a good last 6 months or so. On Feb 3rd she finished one year with us. First service is round the corner, so you can expect a comprehensive report once its done.
The FE is brilliant really,14-15 in city and 20+ on the highways! I only wish I could operate the rear power windows from the drivers side :Frustrati
other than this I don't miss anything

The Swift is overpriced and there are no additional features. On the bright side it is a drivers car.

Thats good to hear. I was following your thread with your report on handbrake and clutch issues it is useful information for a prospective buyer. The new Polo comes with one touch up/down power windows for all sides and a host of other features that were glaringly left out during its launch.

I am taking my time to come to a decision the polo is good VFM but the Swift is a delight to drive dont know which one I'll be picking at the end.

Quote:

Originally Posted by captain_slow (Post 3037659)
The Swift is overpriced and there are no additional features. On the bright side it is a drivers car.

Thats good to hear. I was following your thread with your report on handbrake and clutch issues it is useful information for a prospective buyer. The new Polo comes with one touch up/down power windows for all sides and a host of other features that were glaringly left out during its launch.

I am taking my time to come to a decision the polo is good VFM but the Swift is a delight to drive dont know which one I'll be picking at the end.

Yes the Swift is more fun to drive. I was also in a similar dilemma last year, I went in favor of the Polo over Swift as the Swift had a long waiting period, poor build quality and was too common.

In anycase, you can't go wrong with either of the cars, all the best with your decision!

Quote:

Originally Posted by shashank.nk (Post 3037691)
the Swift is too common.

That about sums up in one line what i'm feeling right now. This will be my first hatchback I hope I get it right. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by captain_slow (Post 3038549)
That about sums up in one line what i'm feeling right now. This will be my first hatchback I hope I get it right. :)

Err.. so did you book the Polo or the Swift ? In anycase both are brilliant cars so congrats!

If it was the Polo can you post the final OTR please. Also, does it come with automatic climate control now ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by shashank.nk (Post 3038874)

Err.. so did you book the Polo or the Swift ? In anycase both are brilliant cars so congrats!

If it was the Polo can you post the final OTR please. Also, does it come with automatic climate control now ?

I've not decided yet. Both cars are unique and play their strengths well.
The final OTR of the polo is:

Trend line: 7.5L, 7.6L metallic paint
Comfort line: 8.13L, 8.25L metallic paint
Highline: 8.77L
Features on high line include: steering mounted controls, leather steering, Bluetooth integrated stereo with USB/aux, automatic climate control and alloy wheels.