Now there is a twist in the tale.

I got the email reply from GM.
Which email id did you write to?
Old 1st December 2011, 16:52   #2267
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Hi Guys,

Guidance required.

I have booked a Beat Diesel last month (November 10th) at Trident Chevrolet, Jayanagar, Bangalore. I made a payment of 15k and was told that the car will reach the stock yard by end of the month (November), which it did.

We were waiting for an auspicious time to go and make the complete payment for the car and will be going and making the payment tomorrow evening. The sales representation called me today and said that Chevy has increased the prices and now we have to pay around 8-10k more for the car.

Is he correct in demanding more, AFAIK, the price of the car would either be based on the date of booking or based on the date of shipping from the plant.

Please advice.

Eagerly awaiting all your inputs and help.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
- CT
Old 2nd December 2011, 11:58   #2268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
He requested me to take the car to service centre and they will replace the oil with Total semi-Synthetic and refund the balance amount. Now what? Confused!

Should I insist for a filter change also? Already clocked 320 KMs after oil change. Do a engine flush required?

Don't understand why did they replace the oil with Mobil 1 instead of Total.

Guys, what's your opinion?

Vinu
Mobil 1 is a good oil. You can continue with it too. But if you go for Total, even then flushing and oil fiter change is not required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
Guys,just a quick question:
I have given my Beat for fixing the "Thud" noise from front and aligment.

They said the lower-arm bolt was loose,which was causing the "Thud" sound and lower arm is bent.How lower arm can go bent?Any idea?
Please let me know what might have caused the Bent of lower arm.
Have you personally inspected the car for bent lower arm? As far as I know lower arm can't get bent so easily even if you have driven suddenly on hump.
One more question? Do you feel the thud sound/vibration on steering too.

Quote:
Which email id did you write to?
You can write to gmi.cac@gm.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by tckanth View Post
Hi Guys,

Guidance required.

The sales representation called me today and said that Chevy has increased the prices and now we have to pay around 8-10k more for the car.

Is he correct in demanding more, AFAIK, the price of the car would either be based on the date of booking or based on the date of shipping from the plant.

Please advice.

- CT
The price should be based on the date of manufacture. Ask the dealer for the "Form 22" certificate issued by the GM. You will find the engine / chassis numbers and month / year of manufacture on this certificate.
Topolino is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2011, 13:24   #2269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tckanth View Post
The sales representation called me today and said that Chevy has increased the prices and now we have to pay around 8-10k more for the car.
I do not think the dealership can ask for the increased price. Do we not receive a quotation / booking slip wherein the agreed price is mentioned? When we booked our Beat, we asked specifically if the price mentioned in the quotation will prevail at the time of delivery and the sales person told yes. Please take up the issue with the sales manager of the dealership and tell him that he / dealership has to stand by the price quoted.

Quote:
They said the lower-arm bolt was loose,which was causing the "Thud" sound and lower arm is bent.How lower arm can go bent?Any idea?I recollect some sudden jumps over some unseen humps in night during one of my trip last year.Will this cause this bent?
I have changed the lower arm of our Baleno more than twice, but not even once it was bent. I have even jumped her from a small bridge, not able to see that the road was too low in front of the bridge. Even then there was no issues with the lower arm. The issues with the Baleno's lower arm was early wear and tear of the bushes. I suspect the 2005 version Baleno Vxi needed a redesigned lower arm for the wider OEM tires used, instead of using the older lower arm.

Usually, the lower arms are designed for taking much of the impacts unless it is abused badly or hit that badly. But then, I have a doubt that if it is hit badly, wont other components like the suspension, tie rods, steering etc. too get affected? Lower arm alone getting bent in a bad hit is a badly designed / manufactured lower arm. And, why should a regularly serviced vehicle get a loose lower arm bolt? Have you run a lot after the jump?

However, I am unsure on the warranty claim as there can be three reasons for a lower arm getting kaput - one is manufacturing weakness, the second being accidental hit and the third being both. Hence, in a case where the customer himself is doubtful on an accidental hit, the customer becomes at the mercy of the dealership to claim warranty on the lower arm.
Old 2nd December 2011, 13:34   #2270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I do not think the dealership can ask for the increased price. Do we not receive a quotation / booking slip wherein the agreed price is mentioned? When we booked our Beat, we asked specifically if the price mentioned in the quotation will prevail at the time of delivery and the sales person told yes. Please take up the issue with the sales manager of the dealership and tell him that he / dealership has to stand by the price quoted.
In fact, it is supposed to be the other way around. The price prevalent at the time of actual delivery of the vehicle is to be paid, irrespective of the amount quoted while booking and the same terms are even exhaustively highlighted and documented in the paperwork.
Old 2nd December 2011, 14:21   #2271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
In fact, it is supposed to be the other way around. The price prevalent at the time of actual delivery of the vehicle is to be paid, irrespective of the amount quoted while booking and the same terms are even exhaustively highlighted and documented in the paperwork.
Ok, I am not sure what is the legal terms and conditions and also not aware of the deal the original poster acquired. But my personal experience tells me otherwise. Might be in my case, the vehicle was already available with the dealer while booking, though I waited for a month to get a latest one. At the time of booking, if the customer and the sales person has not mutually agreed upon waiving a possible price increase in future, I think the customer has to follow the fine print on the terms and conditions.

One question though. Imagine that you book a car on the last of this year. The salesman drives home the sale based on the present price and discounts available that month, right? Is the customer not eligible for the discount and original price even when the car arrives 6 months with an increased price tag? Please correct me if I am wrong. Practical prevailing examples are of the Swift and XUV5OO.
Old 2nd December 2011, 14:42   #2272
BHPian

The discounts offered /agreed upon at the time of booking will be documented and honored even if the delivery happens after 6 months.
Assuming that a car having a six month waiting period (Swift and XUV) would normally not have any discounts offered from the principal manufacturer, the discounts if any would be provided by the dealer at his sole discretion and will be honored by him as such in his own capacity.
However, a subsequent price hike by the manufacturer, hike in taxes/registration charges, etc. are beyond the control of the dealer and he has to adhere to such changes. And that is exactly the reason to imprint the instant clause in the agreement.

Last edited by mi2n : 2nd December 2011 at 14:43.
Old 3rd December 2011, 20:47   #2273
Senior - BHPian

Today the oil was replaced to Total - Quartz 7000 GMO, 5W30. Oil costs Rs.1260 and balance 2340 was refunded. Car did 520Kms in Mobil 1 5W-30 Synthetic Oil.

Kudos to GM for quick action and Metro Chevrolet for accepting the mistake and rectifying it

So now the revised Beat LT's 3rd Service charges

Engine Oil = 1260 (3.75l)

Oil Filter = 71.11
Consumable = 88.89
Seal Ring 14 x 2 = 13.33
Screen Wash = 35.56
VAT = 476.11 (12.50%)
Battery Water = 13.33
Wheel alignment/rotation = 300

Paid Service = 775.00
Labour = 175.00
Service Tax = 99.52

Total Rs 3308.00 Reasonable

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Guys,

Now there is a twist in the tale.

I got the email reply from GM. They stated that the service manger will contact me immediately and will do the needful. After 3 hours I got the call from service manager. He requested me to take the car to service centre and they will replace the oil with Total semi-Synthetic and refund the balance amount. Now what? Confused!

Should I insist for a filter change also? Already clocked 320 KMs after oil change. Do a engine flush required?

Don't understand why did they replace the oil with Mobil 1 instead of Total.

Guys, what's your opinion?

I really appreciate the positive and quick approach from GM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topolino View Post
Please see the link
Range
Chevrolet Beat comes factory filled with this engine oil and the same has been put in my car in 15000 k service. It cost Rs. 1070 for 3.75 litre + 15% VAT, i.e. Rs. 1230. Though other brands like Mobil, Castrol, etc are also available in the market but with this oil I am getting good performance and FE, and is economical too (costs ~10 paise/km), so I will recommend this one.
Thank you very much Topolino for your help.

GM strictly recommend Total - Quartz 7000 GMO, 5W30 Smei-Synthetic Oil for Beat. That's why they simply reverted to that oil in my car.

Cheers!

Vinu
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2011, 21:15   #2274
BHPian

Good that you got your money back.. but it is moronic on their part to put the expensive oil in the first place.. What a waste of your time to go back and fix 'their' mistake!

Rs3300 is still expensive for this tiny near-entry level car. Is the tire rotation at 15K necessary? VAT is vaat + Service tax too?! Why is labour separate if it is a paid service? What does 'paid service' include then? Isn't BEAT"s battery maintenance free (read in the manual), then why water?
Old 3rd December 2011, 23:18   #2275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ask the service advisor to check
1. accelerator cable and linkges for smooth functioning,
2. intake manifold for any leakage,
3. throttle position sensor (SA may not agree. He will certainly tell you if there is any problem with sensor, engine malfunction light will glow-but insist him to check it once).
I think throttle body need not require cleaning in new car.
I had my 5k / 6 month service today for the Beat with only 3.7k on the odometer.

I have asked the SA to check all the above factors for the jump in RPM. Even though he was hesitant in the beginning and I had a tough time explaining all the issues, he agreed to check the throttle position sensor using a new sensor. Later, upon delivery, he told he could not find any issues even after checking with a new sensor. He also allowed me to check the RPM of a 1.5 year old Beat which came for service. I could feel in that Beat too, even with the lightest of foot, the RPM jumps to 1.6k+ suddenly from idle. So I am confused how you people are able to keep the RPM stable at say 1k or 1.2k. I am sure that there is no issue with the accelerator cable, as even using my hand on the accelerator cable pulley near the engine / throttle, I was not able to control the RPM stable at 1k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsramkee View Post
Every system has a unique code and I did not even know about this. I panicked initially because I too peeled off the sticker without noting down the number.

But then, Team-BHP has saved me. I took pictures of my HU before I took off the sticker to post it in my initial ownership report and one of them has the 4 digit code. TBHP to you
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
You saved me of troubles rsramkee, after reading your post I remembered that my cousin had taken some pictures of interiors the day my Beat came (he was fascinated by the Blue lighting). Checked those pics and found the code number. Thanks to you (and my cousin).
Guys, were you able to lock your HU with the code/number present on the sticker? My HU never had a sticker when I got the vehicle delivered. Today, when I had given the Beat for service, I had asked the SA to recover it somehow. He told that the number/code present on the sticker of the HU is not useful for locking. Is it true? If not, how in the world can I retrieve the code?

Quote:
During my 1k service, I had complained of a faint sound from the front right side of the car, like something near the steering seemed broken. This is mostly heard on wavery roads(roads with lots of small undulations, not big enough to be a pothole). Now this has resurfaced, but more towards the left side.
This issue has been rectified as of now and the SA attributes the cause of this issue to some part of the front break calipers getting loose! I am keeping my fingers crossed as to how soon this issue reappears.

Quote:
Another thing I noticed is that the steering wobbles(turns left and right) heavily at speeds above 100. What could it be? Couldn't take her above 110 due to this.

Also, I had noticed excessive vibration on the steering when the radiator(I guess) fan runs initially as the A/C is switched on.
As per the SA, both these issues are corrected by wheel balancing. My Beat already had a wheel balance in the first re-assurance check up! When I have not rode her rudely, I do not know why this is re-occurring.

Quote:
On my next visit to the service center, I will have to ask the adviser to check up the cooling of the A/C.

I am having low FE and low pick up. At least one of this should improve.
The service adviser told me that he has flashed the ECU and that the fuel efficiency should improve. He also told that my Beat already had the latest ECU version (4, I believe). I am not sure how flashing the ECU improves FE.

He also told he checked the A/C and there was no issue with the temperature or with any of its components, though he cleaned the pollen filter. If this cooling is all you get from the Beat, I cannot term it as a 'chiller'.

I did not change the engine oil. Thought of changing it after some 7.5k on the odometer, as the present oil has nowhere got dirty. The total cost for service came to 370/- which was for wheel aligning and balancing. I had asked him about fitting the gear lock genuine accessory, but he did not have much clue on it.
Old 7th December 2011, 01:04   #2276
BHPian

Hi everybody
Got my 1st paid service,which is the 3rd i.e.18 months done 10 days back.
After the service when I drove without the AC there was no knocking in 2nd gear but could hear knocking with the AC on.
Anybody else have faced the same problem post service(I did not have this problem after the first and second free service)
What could be the reason?
Somebody please guide
Thanks and regards
PS The oil change was done using Quartz 7000 GMO 4B3L75(is 3L75 the quantity?)
Their manual specifies 5W 30 API SM GF 4 is it the same?The authorized did the servicing.
Old 7th December 2011, 14:24   #2277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Anybody else have faced the same problem post service(I did not have this problem after the first and second free service)
Did you say anything about FE to service advisor? I think they have changed your ECU version for better FE (from 2nd gear drivability to Regular).Just verify with your SE.
Old 7th December 2011, 14:53   #2278
BHPian

Quote:
Have you personally inspected the car for bent lower arm? As far as I know lower arm can't get bent so easily even if you have driven suddenly on hump.
One more question? Do you feel the thud sound/vibration on steering too.
No,I didnt get a chance to look at lower arm personally.I dont feel that sound on steering,but I can feel the left pulling.

SE called me today and said they will try replacing right side Shocks.
Old 7th December 2011, 20:50   #2279
Senior - BHPian

Hey faustus I am also Experiencing the knocking in all gears except first after my 6 month service. The knocking happens at the lower end of the gear only right and goes away after a little acceleration ? I had complained about low FE. This didnt help however. I am sending it abck to them tomorrow to take a look.
Old 8th December 2011, 00:23   #2280
BHPian

Quote:
Did you say anything about FE to service advisor? I think they have changed your ECU version for better FE (from 2nd gear drivability to Regular).Just verify with your SE.
White-rabbit
hi and thanks your response
Had indeed complained about FE.
In fact I had put up the FE on a different thread.Repeating

Oct 2010 Udaipur Bharuch 19.13(no 5th gear/no ac )
Nikhil adjusted the clutch June 2011
Sep 2011 Chittaurgarh Bharuch 16.32(wherever possible 5th gear no ac)
Rattangarh Kishengarh 13.13(very low)(5th gear no ac)
Rawatsar rattangarh 16 (drove over 110KMPH 5th gear no ac)
Bharuch bulsar 18.28(5th gear no ac)

As I dont drive in bombay Fe report will have to wait until go on a long cross country drive.
Thanks once again regards

Mortis
Hi. Had sent you a pm before i took the car to National.Wanted your opinion.Unfortunately there was no reply.I faced a bit of niggling problems which have still to be sorted out.Nothing major.It is only when i go out of town would I be able to know better.
I changed the oil and they have used Quartz 7000 GMO.Your experience?
Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks