Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2012, 19:56   #1411
BHPian

Re: Manza Quadrajet timing chain noise issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhil@Bengaluru View Post
My Manza has clocked 70K and recently started some noise when i start the engine , In 70K service i was told it was timing chain issue... Anybody else have the same issue?

The dealer has told it may be around 11K for the complete replacement for timing chain.

Should i be going for a change ? or can i get it checked at somewhere else ?

My Warranty and Extended warranty is also expired.

Please advise.
Finally the timing chain sound issue is resolved.

Thanks to Power ranger's suggestion gave the car at EMM EMM service center in banaswadi ORR. They had to replace Timing chain with Some acc. Total cost is around 5200. (as against 11K told by KHT)

Was very happy with the service. highly recommend them. Even the owner has a Manza...
Akhil@Bengaluru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2012, 20:13   #1412
Senior - BHPian

Re: Manza Quadrajet timing chain noise issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhil@Bengaluru View Post
Finally the timing chain sound issue is resolved.

Thanks to Power ranger's suggestion gave the car at EMM EMM service center in banaswadi ORR. They had to replace Timing chain with Some acc. Total cost is around 5200. (as against 11K told by KHT)

Was very happy with the service. highly recommend them. Even the owner has a Manza...
Thanks for sharing this very vital information Akhil. Is this timing chain issue pertinent only to the 90ps powered quadrajet engine in the Manza or it occurs in the lower powered quadrajet vista as well? Also the same engine is being used in many other cars, like the Linea, SX4 & now Ertiga.

Can someone shed more light on this issue? I thought the quadrajet engines to be the most reliable ones, but is definitely not been so.
Old 31st December 2012, 20:24   #1413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post

Thanks for sharing this very vital information Akhil. Is this timing chain issue pertinent only to the 90ps powered quadrajet engine in the Manza or it occurs in the lower powered quadrajet vista as well? Also the same engine is being used in many other cars, like the Linea, SX4 & now Ertiga.

Can someone shed more light on this issue? I thought the quadrajet engines to be the most reliable ones, but is definitely not been so.
I've a already mentioned this in the Ertiga thread but here goes- I personally met the project head of Ertiga from Suzuki, Japan and he said this issue is not relevant to the DDiS engine as they use different components.
Old 31st December 2012, 20:57   #1414
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
I've a already mentioned this in the Ertiga thread but here goes- I personally met the project head of Ertiga from Suzuki, Japan and he said this issue is not relevant to the DDiS engine as they use different components.
Thanks swiftdiesel for pitching in. So does it mean there are different timing chains used on the DDis variety of Multijet engines by Maruti & the Quadrajet engines used by Tata?
Old 31st December 2012, 22:40   #1415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Thanks swiftdiesel for pitching in. So does it mean there are different timing chains used on the DDis variety of Multijet engines by Maruti & the Quadrajet engines used by Tata?
Yeah, that's what I deduced from his reply. You know how engineers try to be politically correct without tarnishing the reputation of a rival company.
Old 10th January 2013, 22:49   #1416
BHPian

My manza has covered 19000 kms, it has been a year since I bought the car. It has developed rattle from the center console,ie; near the ac and the stereo. It seems to vibrate when the car runs on a small pothole or a slightly bad road. Any suggestions in getting it fixed?
Old 11th January 2013, 12:04   #1417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ohh, do your really believe him? When they used to put their own parts and tuning, their old swifts used to smoke like hell and land up with blown turbos and broken cam shafts and what not.

Now FIAT assembles the whole engine, tunes it and does the whole responsibility till the engine reaches their plant. Fiat engineers are commissioned in their plant too.

Have you noticed the new swift, it doesnt smoke

And the story of timing chain, well no one knows why its happening with only 90bhp MJD, even after extensive testing. The timing chain vendor has also spent a lot on testing and yet not able to find under what conditions exactly the issue is happening.

Last edited by amit_mechengg : 11th January 2013 at 12:06.
Old 11th January 2013, 12:15   #1418
BHPian

When idling/cruising between 60-80 kmph at times I feel that the engine is loosing power. It is not smooth and is jerky. I remember asking about it at the TASS and they said it is the point where the turbo kicks in and is common for all Manza. He also said you are too observant and not all are able to catch this. I have done about 28K.

Has anyone else faced or observed this?
Old 11th January 2013, 14:04   #1419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Ohh, do your really believe him? When they used to put their own parts and tuning, their old swifts used to smoke like hell and land up with blown turbos and broken cam shafts and what not.

Now FIAT assembles the whole engine, tunes it and does the whole responsibility till the engine reaches their plant. Fiat engineers are commissioned in their plant too.

Have you noticed the new swift, it doesnt smoke

And the story of timing chain, well no one knows why its happening with only 90bhp MJD, even after extensive testing. The timing chain vendor has also spent a lot on testing and yet not able to find under what conditions exactly the issue is happening.
Just in case you haven't noticed, new Swifts smoke too! Any diesel car will smoke under hard acceleration. Nothing to do with blown turbos. My point is well made in my post. Where Fiat engineers go to work every morning is irrelevant to my post. Suzuki diesels don't have a timing chain problem, period! And yeah, I believe him!
Old 11th January 2013, 14:09   #1420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just in case you haven't noticed, new Swifts smoke too! Any diesel car will smoke under hard acceleration. Nothing to do with blown turbos. My point is well made in my post. Where Fiat engineers go to work every morning is irrelevant to my post. Suzuki diesels don't have a timing chain problem, period! And yeah, I believe him!
There is a difference in hard acceleration and normal driving and smoking on road. Old swifts smoke more than new ones.

Well seems that you dint understand the whole point. The point is Fiat is fitting their manufactured engines in maruti currently. If they have a timing chain problem the same will be carried to maruti.
Old 11th January 2013, 14:14   #1421
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, amit is right. Maruti does other stuff like omitting the oil cooler(new swifts do not have it), their own transmission, ecu and stuff. Engine as such is the same.
Old 11th January 2013, 14:14   #1422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is a difference in hard acceleration and normal driving and smoking on road. Old swifts smoke more than new ones.

Well seems that you dint understand the whole point. The point is Fiat is fitting their manufactured engines in maruti currently. If they have a timing chain problem the same will be carried to maruti.
There are more than double the number (comparing Vista and Manza) of Dzires and Swifts running now and I'm yet to come across someone here or the forum having a timing chain problem. By the way, the biggest MSIL dealer in Chennai is my personal friend, so haven't heard anything from him yet. Will be interested if you can show some data with affected vehicles from MSIL.
Old 11th January 2013, 14:33   #1423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A general question. Maruti no longer manufacture the Multijet engines or are they now being sourced from Fiat India as well to meet demand?
Old 11th January 2013, 14:36   #1424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are more than double the number (comparing Vista and Manza) of Dzires and Swifts running now and I'm yet to come across someone here or the forum having a timing chain problem. By the way, the biggest MSIL dealer in Chennai is my personal friend, so haven't heard anything from him yet. Will be interested if you can show some data with affected vehicles from MSIL.
Timing chain issue is only on the 90hp variant of fiat, not on 75hp models.
Glad to know chennai dealer is your friend, but my relatives work with Fiat in the powertrain division and was stationed at maruti plant for many months and now with tata engine depts and is incharge for powertrains going to maruti as well as tata.
Old 11th January 2013, 22:40   #1425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Timing chain issue is only on the 90hp variant of fiat, not on 75hp models.
Glad to know chennai dealer is your friend, but my relatives work with Fiat in the powertrain division and was stationed at maruti plant for many months and now with tata engine depts and is incharge for powertrains going to maruti as well as tata.
Ok but that still hasn't answered my question. Has Maruti Suzuki issued a recall? Can I have some data on all the problematic SX4s and Ertigas please? Did you know that Maruti Suzuki use a cast iron engine block whereas Fiat use aluminium alloy. So much for talk about different components! With all the insider info you have access to, I thought you knew better, but yeah that's ok!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks