Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2009, 00:24   #106
BHPian

awsome review GTO..!
Thoroughly professional and ill say much better than what you get to read in auto mags.

What beats me is why the hell cant TATA/FIAT tune the turbo for a punchy drive.
That is what has sent the sales soaring for the swift and dzire.
Why cant they add a bit of fun & youth in the engine that they have developed..beats me
Old 31st October 2009, 00:43   #107
Senior - BHPian

awesome review as usual from GTO! I just read the Manza review in autocar yesterday, and GTO's review today. No prizes on guessing which one comes out on top ;-)

BTW, ACI mentions that the rear seatback of Manza is too much inclined, though from the pictures it looks perfect. GTO also confirmed the same. Mostly these guys are always complaining about non enough recline in the reviews, this time they wanted to mention something new ??
Old 31st October 2009, 00:52   #108
BHPian

Thank you GTO for the great review.Manza should be a great hit.TATA should improve TASS.I think Linea sales will be affected more than the Dzire.

After joining Team Bhp I have stopped buying auto magazines
Old 31st October 2009, 00:57   #109
BHPian

Great review as always. Definitely now Linea is in deep trouble.

Tata have to a long way to catch up with maruti.
Old 31st October 2009, 02:32   #110
BHPian

Looks like a Taxi Segment champion to me.

VFM pricing, cheap spares, long warranty, spacious interior, luggage space, proven diesel engine, good A/C, features, ground clearance.

It seems to have ticked all the boxes.
Old 31st October 2009, 02:43   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
...Definitely now Linea is in deep trouble..
A person primarily interested in Dzire will not find it too difficult to switch to Manza, simply because it is a safe switch. He pretty much can't go wrong!

A person primarily interested in Dzire will find it too difficult to switch to Linea simply because, he is too uncertain (and understandably so) about Fiat. He is absolutely uncertain about the spares availability and Fiat's old horror stories (Palio).

A person primarily interested in Linea, IS willing to take RISK. He prioritises driving pleasure, ride quality and looks above all others! He is not going to jump over to a Dzire, but some may consider Manza. A test drive of both cars will most often make him realize his initial priorities.

I see a lot of similarities between Dzire buyers and Manza buyers. The waiting period for Dzire will also add to the cause. Car to car, the Manza has the Dzire covered on most aspects.
Old 31st October 2009, 02:51   #112
BHPian

Finally the thirst has been quenched - The long awaited T-Bhp official review. Thanks a lot GTO for the comprehensive, extensive, exclusive TD & Review. If I had the money I would be definitely going for Manza. However, from some angles the Manza looks a little off in the looks department. I feel the headlamps are stretched way back towards the windscreen. While the front is too curvy, the rear is too boxy. But then isn't Dezire exhibits the same curvy and boxiness? The bonnet slides down quite steeply. But, overall it looks satisfying. Atleast not a hatchback-with-boot jugaad. I wish the engine was a bit more powerful. Pure VFM and a Family Sedan.

I am not sure if this is going to be a hit because, no matter what, Dezire is a Maruti. Of course people looking away from Dezire will definitely want to give a look at Manza but I doubt that a Maruti loyalist going for Dezire would switch to Manza.

Last edited by leonerd : 31st October 2009 at 02:54.
Old 31st October 2009, 08:22   #113

Great review!

Now that's an awesome review! Very, very professional indeed! Thanks a ton, GTO.
Your starter phrase 'Extremely neutral family sedan' was a killer for me. That's *exactly* what I was looking for!
Having booked the Manza before a TD, I was getting a bit jittery waiting for your review. But now the ghosts are put to rest. I'll confirm my booking after my TD which comes next week, if the showrooms are to be believed.

And thanks for the brief petrol engine review. I have seen a lot of people opt for the petrol model, while reviewers (serious ones) mostly stick to diesel models of Tata. In most petrol buyers, the reason was the budget limitations, though a few still worried about the 'added maintenance for diesel engine' factor, which I thought was a thing of the past.

Well, thanks again, and congrats to all the other TBHP members who have booked the Manza!
(BTW, the test track in your video, is that the TML test track?)
Old 31st October 2009, 10:44   #114
Senior - BHPian

Doubter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
Looks like a Taxi Segment champion to me.

VFM pricing, cheap spares, long warranty, spacious interior, luggage space, proven diesel engine, good A/C, features, ground clearance.

It seems to have ticked all the boxes.
If you take a closer look at the boxes, you'd see that this has the potential to be a lot more than a Taxi segment champion. I think that the Indigo CS and XL would take care of the Taxi segment and the Manza is Tata's trump card in the sedan(C) segment.

I wonder whether for once the Tata critics (unreasonable ones) praise the car for what it is and not just try to criticize it. Claims like, it should have the "punch" of the Dezire/swift is just waste of precious storage on tbhp servers; the "kick/punch" is a metaphor for a diesel engine with bucketloads of turbo lag and a fixed geometry turbo showing it's key deficiency.

I loved Dippy's suggestion that the front seat for the left rear passenger could be used to stretch one's legs and have a Lazyboy for a rear seat. That is the kind of constructive feedback that tbhpians can pass on and who knows, we might just see such features in our cars.
Old 31st October 2009, 11:09   #115
BHPian

Great and unbiased review GTO. It was better put than any of the magazines available. Every aspect was point wise roofed flawlessly which made it more appealing to go through the entire text and pictures. I would rather call it a analysis than review.
Old 31st October 2009, 12:11   #116
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the thread ratings guys.

As for the comments relative to mag reviews, yes I appreciate the compliments but lets quit on that. I don't take any Indian car mag as a benchmark, nor compare my reviews to them. Our efforts are entirely independent in thought & philosophy. What I do when approaching a car is think like an informed potential buyer would, and evaluate inside out. From the practicality POV, how it is to live with and potential ownership experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
how good is the AC or in other words how would you compare it to Vista's AC.
Pretty much like the rest of the C segment, no discernable difference in effectiveness. Air-con at the front is chilling; took a couple of minutes to get to the rear on our hot sunny test day. That's one of the reasons we have been harping about a rear air-con. Took about 10 - 15 minutes before we were entirely comfy on the rear bench.

Quote:
How is the performance of the headlights?
Sorry, but we only drove the car from morning to evening. Didn't get a chance to check the headlamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRf1 View Post
They want to express continuity and improvement . Ofcourse they have to add subtitles like Vista , Manza as they want to sell both generations together . Its like calling a Skoda Laura a Skoda Octavia Laura .
Brilliant! Spot-on, I agree with your reasoning.

Quote:
I have a small suggestion . Next time you could put up a side by side pictures of the two generations of cars like Indigo/Manza , ANHC/NHC (like you have put of Manza and Vista ) .
Size relativity? Done. BTW, did you check out the side by side pictures with the Vista on page 4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carZest View Post
about Tata planning to/not selling the manza to taxi folks - is that necessarily a good thing? these are guys who have brought indicas/indigos in great numbers and have great faith in the VFM offerings.
The cheaper Indica + Indigo CS is still sold to taxi operators. I think those cars serve the taxi segment perfectly well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Its a contraption that masks 1 of 2 intake ports at low rpm. Helps improve response and low rpm drivability. I think the Corolla has it too.
This is different from variable cams (as in the Vtec)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by challa View Post
I had test driven diesel varient of Manza yesterday, the ride quality is really great and nothing i can complain about ( to my knowledge).
That's the first impression that this car leaves on you : Comfort (space + ride)

Quote:
Also the test drive car at Mysore Road Concorde Bangalore had problem with the air direction adjuster
There you go! The lapse in consistent quality and precision I spoke about. This is exactly the area that Tata has to get right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Manza will give a tough time not only to Dzire/Linea/Verna/City/Fiesta but also to pricey hatches like i20, Fabia. After all Indians, like Americans and unlike Europeans, prefer sedan over a hatch and if a sedan is loaded more and costs less than the hatch, then most would prefer sedan.
We shall wait and watch (for the sales stats), though I don't think too many people who have finalised on say, an i20, will shift over to a Manza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
I have decided to test drive both the vehicle before making my decision. Now after reading your review i think i have taken a wise decision. Will update after i test drive. Cheers.
This phenomenon will extend to many other car buyers who will, inevitably, cross shop between Tatas and Fiats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -NUT-case View Post
@ GTO , Will slipping the clutch at lower gears to get more RPM and BHP harm the engine or the clutch plate in any way as you have mentioned, is the only way to overcome turbo lag at lower gears.
You don't need to slip the clutch when driving normally. However, on steep inclines, you will have to. And yes, it will increase the wear & tear on your clutch.

Last edited by GTO : 31st October 2009 at 12:14.
Old 31st October 2009, 12:24   #117
Senior - BHPian

Very good review. And I think and hope that the Manza will sell well. Why?
1. The economy is picking back up.
2. This car looks like real value for money
3. This is a very good alternative for the aam admi buyer

It is interesting to note the way the Tata-Fiat combine is covering all bases - they are growing sub-segment by sub-segment. Slowly and steadily. Hope they iron out the niggling (and bigger than niggling) issues that plague their creations. And wish the competition steps up as well.

Last edited by typeOnegative : 31st October 2009 at 12:26.
Old 31st October 2009, 12:50   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushanthr77 View Post
A person primarily interested in Dzire will not find it too difficult to switch to Manza, simply because it is a safe switch. He pretty much can't go wrong!

A person primarily interested in Dzire will find it too difficult to switch to Linea simply because, he is too uncertain (and understandably so) about Fiat. He is absolutely uncertain about the spares availability and Fiat's old horror stories (Palio).

A person primarily interested in Linea, IS willing to take RISK. He prioritises driving pleasure, ride quality and looks above all others! He is not going to jump over to a Dzire, but some may consider Manza. A test drive of both cars will most often make him realize his initial priorities.

I see a lot of similarities between Dzire buyers and Manza buyers. The waiting period for Dzire will also add to the cause. Car to car, the Manza has the Dzire covered on most aspects.
Spot on. Fiat (Linea/Punto and even Palio) buyers are a special breed who buy despite the risk because it pulls at their heart. That's why you see so many Fiats on TBHP. I think most of those buyers will still go for Linea regardless of other cars giving better VFM.

On the other hand the Manza will probably hit Dzire, Logan, and Fiesta Diesel buyers hard.
Old 31st October 2009, 13:27   #119
BHPian

A big question.
Diesel version - Manza is bigger and heavier than Dzire.
Manza is also delivering more power than Dzire.
The engine in both cars is same.
Then how come Manza ARAI claims a mileage of 21 kmpl and Dzire has less?

Petrol version - Surprisingly, the mileage in this version is as expected. At least what ARAI says. Manza 14 kmpl and Dzire 16 kmpl.
Has anyone noticed any reviews anywhere which could tell the on road mileage of petrol version?
Old 31st October 2009, 13:28   #120
BHPian

Awesome review. Seems at first glance Tata have managed to get it 90% right in V1. V2 should solve the minor fit and finish issues.

Question: Is a Tata Indigo Manza Marina Quadrajet 90 Aura+ (loooooong name for a car!) on the way? I am definitely interested in that one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks