Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2010, 12:26   #1066
BHPian

Need advise

All - I need your inputs on what could be the cause and possible solution to the problem I am facing in my QJD manza.

I have used the car for about 8000 km now and from sometime I am facing problem of jerking when I release clutch after changing gears. The jerking is very obvious when I shift to second gear from first and third from second. It's little less when shifting to fourth and fifth. To give you a little more detail, it happens when the RPM reduces after pressing the clutch and needs to go up when I release it. E.g I start in 1st gear and take it to about 2000 RPM before shifting to 2nd gear. So when I press clutch to shift, RPM goes down to idle (let's say to 800), now I shift to 2nd and release the clutch the RPM goes to about 1,400 from 800 and this is when I feel the jerk. Even if I release the clutch very slowly, I can feel the jerk. It happens both at the time of upshift and downshift.

I have asked Tata service folks about it and they said it's becasue the cluth pressure plate is new and this problem will go off as the pressure plate wears off a little. I doubt this explanation and now since the car has done already 8000km.

I think as a possible solution I will ask them to check and lubricate cluth wire in next service. What could be other possible reasons/ solutions to this problem. Appreciate your assistance in advance.

Just to mention, I am otherwise very happy with the car. Just did a 800km trip on NH1 in last two days and got a FE of 20 (with 100% AC and 2 occupants in car).
Old 28th June 2010, 12:46   #1067
Senior - BHPian

@Amit, I think the explanation by the SS about waiting for the clutch plate to wear a bit (for the problem to ease) does not ring true, since the problem is more pronounced while shifting to second gear alone. Maybe the second gear synchroniser is the culprit.

Looks like your car is still under warranty, hence the reluctance on part of the SS to open up the gearbox. If your car is under warranty, please send a detailed e-mail / letter to the workshop manager and Tata Customer care, so that your complaint date goes on record. I had to take a similar route to get a defective starter replaced for my Maruti 800 under warranty, as repeated personal requests and visits were falling on deaf ears. Hope they resolve your problem soon
Old 28th June 2010, 13:36   #1068
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The Clutch cannot be called new at 8000 kms, so that reasoning seems to be out of the question. See if other drivers (of your own car) face the same issue, if so it is the car else it is you.

Most likely it being the car itself that is the culpit, the Gearbox or the Clutch - either could be at fault, the car must definately still be in warranty, suggest you ask them to resolve the fault with a replacement.

Typically most users learn to live with faults in the gearbox over time, (not that the problem goes away) so it is best you get them to attend to this within warranty.
Old 28th June 2010, 16:03   #1069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

What is your driving routine in a day? If it is small runs and all within a congested town / city, this is very much possible.
i drive about 25 kms a day - 10 kms in city (not too congested) and balance on highway.
Old 28th June 2010, 18:57   #1070
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 29th June 2010 at 12:44.
rki2007 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 28th June 2010, 20:26   #1071
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishparekh View Post
i drive about 25 kms a day - 10 kms in city (not too congested) and balance on highway.
Jut to get things clear: 25 kms a day means 12.5 kms one way of mixed conditions. I hope there are no more splits in the distance.

My Manza takes around 6kms for the temperature to come to normal cruising temperature and 4 kms to move from Cold. My runs inside my town end up with the engine still cold and so cannot expect more mileage.

In your conditions, you can get more.
Old 29th June 2010, 12:18   #1072
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Jut to get things clear: 25 kms a day means 12.5 kms one way of mixed conditions. I hope there are no more splits in the distance.

My Manza takes around 6kms for the temperature to come to normal cruising temperature and 4 kms to move from Cold. My runs inside my town end up with the engine still cold and so cannot expect more mileage.

In your conditions, you can get more.
i see. thanks for the input. how is the normal cruising temp. indicated ? will check what distance needs to be covered to get to normal cruising temp.
Old 29th June 2010, 13:47   #1073
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
i see. thanks for the input. how is the normal cruising temp. indicated ? will check what distance needs to be covered to get to normal cruising temp.
Sorry for the blurry image:

Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review-image_019_medium.jpg

The usual position is just below the 1st mark. But when the outside temperature is high and in certain hilly sections it does go to about halfway between the 1st and 2nd marks.

But the usual position is just below the 1st mark.

The time taken for attaining cruising temperature will vary upon factors including the ambient temperature.
Old 29th June 2010, 20:02   #1074
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
I have used the car for about 8000 km now and from sometime I am facing problem of jerking when I release clutch after changing gears.
I specifically checked in my car today (after reading your post) as I was doing the school runs as my driver was on leave.

My runs here are more or less in level roads and my gear changes are usually at 1500 - 1600 RPM and there are no jerks. I have had no issues so far. Most of my driving in the Manza here is below 1800RPM as the maximum legal speed limit here is 70kph and that is 1750RPM in fifth gear. Rarely even when I have shifted gears post 2000 RPM, I have had no jerks.

I am not too sure about the opinion given by the service people, but without actually feeling / seeing the problem, cannot really comment.

The Manza clutch is hydraulic. A bleeding of the clutch could solve the issue.

I hope this gets resolved. With the mileage you are getting, I really doubt that there is any seriously wrong in your gearbox / clutch!
Old 30th June 2010, 10:58   #1075
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I specifically checked in my car today (after reading your post) as I was doing the school runs as my driver was on leave.

My runs here are more or less in level roads and my gear changes are usually at 1500 - 1600 RPM and there are no jerks. I have had no issues so far. Most of my driving in the Manza here is below 1800RPM as the maximum legal speed limit here is 70kph and that is 1750RPM in fifth gear. Rarely even when I have shifted gears post 2000 RPM, I have had no jerks.

I am not too sure about the opinion given by the service people, but without actually feeling / seeing the problem, cannot really comment.

The Manza clutch is hydraulic. A bleeding of the clutch could solve the issue. I hope this gets resolved. With the mileage you are getting, I really doubt that there is any seriously wrong in your gearbox / clutch!
Thanks for sharing your views. I also do not think there is anything seriously wrong, hence I am waiting for next 10k service to get this checked. I upshift gears between 1500 to 2000 rpm. Though this does seem to be a minor issue, I do want to get this sorted as in my day to day local drive, I have to release clutch very slowly and carefully to minimise the jerk. Since gear change in local bumper to bumper traffic is a lot, it kind of makes it difficult to drive. Hope tata folks agree that there is a problem :-)
Old 30th June 2010, 12:57   #1076
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
I do want to get this sorted as in my day to day local drive, I have to release clutch very slowly and carefully to minimise the jerk.
Does this jerk happen every time? If not, are there any particular sequence of events which triggers the jerk?

The AC compressor if it gets exchanged at that time could result in a jerk. Again when the ECU feels that car will stall, it actually compensates and increases the RPM and that also could get a jerky response.

Level road, AC on, 3 of us, I could change up to 4th around the 1300RPM mark today. Of course, the letting out of the clutch was in a slow gentle motion and the acceleration also was slow.
Old 30th June 2010, 16:02   #1077
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Does this jerk happen every time? If not, are there any particular sequence of events which triggers the jerk?

The AC compressor if it gets exchanged at that time could result in a jerk. Again when the ECU feels that car will stall, it actually compensates and increases the RPM and that also could get a jerky response.

Level road, AC on, 3 of us, I could change up to 4th around the 1300RPM mark today. Of course, the letting out of the clutch was in a slow gentle motion and the acceleration also was slow.
Hmm. good observations. I need to check if jerking happens in all sorts of conditions, as of now I think it happens more often in traffic than open road. I need to check if it also happens in plain open roads. It's certainly not ECU's action to prevent car from stalling as the RPM is usually above 1000. By the way, I have another 800km trip coming up this weekend on NH1 (Delhi to Ludhiana). Look forward to enjoy the ride at less than Rs.2 per km . On highway, I drive mostly between 90 and 110 kmph.
Old 1st July 2010, 19:16   #1078
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Sorry for the blurry image:

Attachment 377301

The usual position is just below the 1st mark. But when the outside temperature is high and in certain hilly sections it does go to about halfway between the 1st and 2nd marks.

But the usual position is just below the 1st mark.

The time taken for attaining cruising temperature will vary upon factors including the ambient temperature.
@trrk - hey thanks for the pic - i appreciate the effort you put in to explain the issue. a pic = 1000 words, and i'll now have a visual benchmark for comparison.

btw, i drove my manza 97.7 kms in 6 ltrs (actually a little less) - FE of 16.28 kmpl. mostly highway. am happy.
Old 5th July 2010, 15:43   #1079
BHPian

Quote:
Hmm. good observations. I need to check if jerking happens in all sorts of conditions, as of now I think it happens more often in traffic than open road. I need to check if it also happens in plain open roads. It's certainly not ECU's action to prevent car from stalling as the RPM is usually above 1000. By the way, I have another 800km trip coming up this weekend on NH1 (Delhi to Ludhiana). Look forward to enjoy the ride at less than Rs.2 per km . On highway, I drive mostly between 90 and 110 kmph.
Updating my earlier message with additional details. Did another 796km trip on NH1 this weekend (Delhi - Patiala - Ludhiana and back). Slight jerk on clutch release after gear change is there even on highway but not as much as in bumper to bumper traffic. One of my friend mentioned that slight jerking happens when the AC is on. I don't think that should be the case. Will get it checked in next 10k service.

Car consumed 39.8 litres of diesel for this trip. So FE is again 20 (100% AC and 2 occupants). I am very happy. A lot of it is due to NH1 which is a very decent highway in north. Except for a few sections where construction work is going on to make it 6 lane, I am always in 5th gear with speed ranging between 90 and 110.
Old 6th July 2010, 13:26   #1080
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
@trrk - hey thanks for the pic -

btw, i drove my manza 97.7 kms in 6 ltrs (actually a little less) - FE of 16.28 kmpl. mostly highway. am happy.
It is always a pleasure to be of some help. Good effciency figures!

Quote:
Car consumed 39.8 litres of diesel for this trip. So FE is again 20 (100% AC and 2 occupants).
Good. The sad part of our highways is that there is hardly any section where we can cruise at a steady speed for more than a couple of kilometres.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks